Had my test drive today

Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Had my test drive today

I finally had aa chance to test drive the new RLX. I have owned a 2006 RL and dirve a 2009 TL at present. I must say I was VERY disappointed in the RLX. First off I like a firm sporty suspension, as I am on the agressive side when driving. Compard to my TL, the RLX did not feel as planted to the road. The car felt somewhat squirrely. It felt much lighter than my TL which suprised me. The interior felt very bare inside, especially looking a the gauage cluster. The materials in the car did not look as nice and my ole 2006. My TL inspires me to DRIVE it. I did not get this feeling with the RLX. It was like a refined Buick to me. There is no way, I would pay 50+ for this car. To my eyes the car just looked cheap. Acura is going to have to discount this car heavily. I sure hope Acura does not butcher he new TLX like the RLX.
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (03-24-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I have not driven one, but I'm a bit surprised by your comments on the materials and "cheapness." The two I have seen and sat in (both Krell models) had beautiful interior materials, both in terms of quality and fit and finish. The seat leather especially seemed very nice. What trim level did you drive?
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i guess everything is subjective. ^^

i thought the RLX was very nice in person (inside and out). i was not able to test drive the car the way i would have wanted to, so i will reserve my overall initial opinion of the drive experience. not really the type of car for my tastes, but still a really handsome, mature ride.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Arrow

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I have not driven one, but I'm a bit surprised by your comments on the materials and "cheapness." The two I have seen and sat in (both Krell models) had beautiful interior materials, both in terms of quality and fit and finish. The seat leather especially seemed very nice. What trim level did you drive?
The RLX is the showroom, had the Krell, system and listed for 56K. My friend DID like the interior of that model. She did not like the base model that we drove. I was not pleased with either interior. I still think the material used in the 2g RL was nicer. I will be very interested in other opinions of concerning a test drive. I test drove a Lincoln MKZ and I was much more impressed with that car. I am not fan of American cars and have not owned one since 1972, but the Licoln made my Tl feel outdated once, I got back from the drive. I have never been this disapointed about a Acura Vehicle. This is not the car Acura use to be known for IMO.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I can see what the OP means. When I ad my TL it felt like a tank, the RLX felt a little less planted. While I thought the RLX was nice it was a tad disappointing on the road.

As to DWEST1023 I am glad you were impressed with the MKZ as I was eagerly awaiting that car until I sat in one. I love the exterior, but found the interior materials to look and feel to cheap for that class of car. Ales whoe I like the interior design that nab screen will be a glare and finger print magnet.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
^^I had the same reaction to the Lincoln. Very attractive on the outside, cheap looking and cramped inside. I was disappointed. I was hoping to like that car.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I sat in the Lincoln at the Detroit auto show. Stunning outside, bleh inside.

Thanks for your comments, dwest. Mayhap you'll take a higher spec model out sometime? At least you took one for the team by driving a base model.

edit: Autocorrect changed "Detroit" to "asteroid". WTF?

Last edited by neuronbob; 03-24-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
dwest...It was interesting to read your views on the RLX as I have come to appreciate your input on this forum and when you speak, you speak with credibility and I highly respect your opinion. There are a few people on this forum that I really enjoy reading their posts and you are one of them.

I feel I am going to have the same opinion as you on the RLX. Quite honestly, I can't see myself wanting to own the RLX given my preference for a more "sporty" and aggressive looking exterior thus the reason I like my TL with the aero kit on it. I was interested to get your input on the handling/driveability of the vehicle as I know looks are very subjective. That being said, I am a little disappointed in the overall interior direction Acura is taking. I know they got bashed for their excessive buttons and as such, they are changing their interior and make it more "bland" to please the critics.

For me, this "blander" interior can work in an SUV or a flagship but if they bring an RLX/RDX interior into the TLX, this TL will likely be my last (unless they knock a home run on the exterior .... which I doubt they'll do). If they can't get it right, I will go with the alternative and right now, either a Lexus or if I am bold enough, may go with my real desire to get an Audi S5 or the BWM 4 series. I am HORRIFIED of the German's reliability but given the fact that I usually lease my vehicle for 3 years, I wouldn't have any repairs bills excess for the annoyance of having my car at the dealership more often than I'd like....Time will tell.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by weather
dwest...It was interesting to read your views on the RLX as I have come to appreciate your input on this forum and when you speak, you speak with credibility and I highly respect your opinion. There are a few people on this forum that I really enjoy reading their posts and you are one of them.

I feel I am going to have the same opinion as you on the RLX. Quite honestly, I can't see myself wanting to own the RLX given my preference for a more "sporty" and aggressive looking exterior thus the reason I like my TL with the aero kit on it. I was interested to get your input on the handling/driveability of the vehicle as I know looks are very subjective. That being said, I am a little disappointed in the overall interior direction Acura is taking. I know they got bashed for their excessive buttons and as such, they are changing their interior and make it more "bland" to please the critics.

For me, this "blander" interior can work in an SUV or a flagship but if they bring an RLX/RDX interior into the TLX, this TL will likely be my last (unless they knock a home run on the exterior .... which I doubt they'll do). If they can't get it right, I will go with the alternative and right now, either a Lexus or if I am bold enough, may go with my real desire to get an Audi S5 or the BWM 4 series. I am HORRIFIED of the German's reliability but given the fact that I usually lease my vehicle for 3 years, I wouldn't have any repairs bills excess for the annoyance of having my car at the dealership more often than I'd like....Time will tell.

Weather, thank you for the kind words. You and I have the same mindset. The interior of the RLX was so BLAND, that when I got back in my TL, it was like a spaceship. I was instantly, surrounded by beautiful gauges and buttons! What buttons that were in the RLX looked cheap. It reminded me of the test drive of the First Hyundai Genisis. The shocker was the handling of the RLX. Keep in mind I love Acura. I have owned a 2005 TL, 2006 RL, 2006 TSX and 2009 TL. As you know the TL feels planted on the road and invites spirited driving. I got no such feels with the RLX. The so calls PAWS reminded me of a hook and ladder truck with a driver steering the back. I hope it was the tires pressure that was low, beacasue there is no way I could live with that wallow feel of the RLX. The ride made me drive like I drive my 4 cyc Nissan Pickup, SLOW and plodding. The RLX accelerated slighty and I do mean Slightly smoother than my TL. The button screen is not intuitive to me. When I first got in the RLX the AC was on. I could not figure how to turn it off, so I turn up the temp button and I heard " AC OFF". Im not sure what I did but somehow I turn the AC off. Without my reliable Acura I don't now WHAT brand I will turn to. I afraid of American and German Cars. Hyundai maybe?
I just hope Acura does not find a way to ruin the TLX. Hopefully the AWD RLX will be a beast. I just don't like that spartan interior. Dual Pipes PLEASE!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ You are correct about seeing things eye to eye on how the TLX must be in order to get us from our TL into this new TLX I am sad to say that the dual exhaust are gone, never to come back on Acura for a while so the TLX will have a clean rear end. As much as I am going to miss the dual exhaust, I can live with that. Mess the interior too much and make it bland and that is when I leave. For me, I want to be visually stimulated when I am driving my cars and looking at the cluster/dash.

I am like you though...I have learned to be loyal to Acura and love their reliability. From my 2006 TSX, 2009 TSX, 2012 TL and 2013 RDX, they have all been so good to me. That being said, Reliability is a huge component of my decision process but its not everything, and if they dumb down the TLX too much, I will have to consider other brand. Right now, there are a few options to consider although it would pain me to leave the Acura family....
Old 03-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I value Reliabilty as well. That is why there will be no German cars for me. I guess I could give up the duel outlets, but its gonna hurt. I undertand the RLX has a sport mode and with that turn on, its suppose to be a bit more sporty? Does not matter, I cannot deal with that bare bones interior look. Not for 56K. Oh well, we will just have to see what Aura has instore with the TLX.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Question BaseModel

Hold up, you drove the base model? The base-base model??

Do you happen to remember any of the interior differences compared to the upper trims? Specifically, the description of the tech & above says that the interior gets wood-grain trim, so I am curious if the base model does not get wood-grain trim? If so, what does it have in its place?

I detest wood (thank goodness Acura has an aversion to putting on the steering wheel, my least favorite spot) so I am hoping the base just gets the metal trim. If not, then I have to pin my hopes on the SH-SH-AWD version getting no interior wood.

Thanks!!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

dwest....I am not sure if you saw the leaked photos of the 2014 CTS but this seems promising:

Old 03-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
Official release Tuesday. 429 hp dual turbo V6 in the non-V model. But that's off topic.

Back to the RLX....I don't know how many will buy a base model. I wouldn't.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree that the Base RLX will not be a hot seller....when you reach that price territory, you might as well spend a little more and get the bells and whistle. The base RLX does not offer an exciting styling to win people over simply on looks alone....There is nothing to brag about on the look of the flagship....It is mainly in the technological advance that you have some bragging rights, so why exclude them of your shopping list.

That is just me though...

Neuronbob..I realize that the pic of the Cadillac may be off topic so please feel free to remove if you feel it will steer the conversation astray.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023
I finally had aa chance to test drive the new RLX. I have owned a 2006 RL and dirve a 2009 TL at present. I must say I was VERY disappointed in the RLX. First off I like a firm sporty suspension, as I am on the agressive side when driving. Compard to my TL, the RLX did not feel as planted to the road. The car felt somewhat squirrely. It felt much lighter than my TL which suprised me. The interior felt very bare inside, especially looking a the gauage cluster. The materials in the car did not look as nice and my ole 2006. My TL inspires me to DRIVE it. I did not get this feeling with the RLX. It was like a refined Buick to me. There is no way, I would pay 50+ for this car. To my eyes the car just looked cheap. Acura is going to have to discount this car heavily. I sure hope Acura does not butcher he new TLX like the RLX.

WOW. Totally disagree with most of this. I posted my impressions of my test drive elsewhere.

I drive a 2007 RL currently. I like my RL, but the RLX with the Advanced Package IMHO has finer leather, better wood quality (and more of it), more luxurious dashboard area and sides/back seat area. Maybe you test drove a base RLX and it's different form the RLX Tech Package or RLX Advanced Package. I sat in the former and test drove the latter.

I think Acura will sell many of these- it's very different from TL. Last few years of TL it was too close in too many ways to old RL- SH-AWD, size, sound system, etc. RLX is now significantly larger, back seat in particular. The new technology of the RLX blows away the TL- separate time era.

Unfortunately, I agree that the PAWS current version handles like a refined Buick. I'm hopeful that the Hybrid AWD that comes out this Fall and is more sporty and will handle more like the BMW 5 Series and the new Lexus GS-350 F-Sport.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acuralvr1
WOW. Totally disagree with most of this. I posted my impressions of my test drive elsewhere.

I drive a 2007 RL currently. I like my RL, but the RLX with the Advanced Package IMHO has finer leather, better wood quality (and more of it), more luxurious dashboard area and sides/back seat area. Maybe you test drove a base RLX and it's different form the RLX Tech Package or RLX Advanced Package. I sat in the former and test drove the latter.

I think Acura will sell many of these- it's very different from TL. Last few years of TL it was too close in too many ways to old RL- SH-AWD, size, sound system, etc. RLX is now significantly larger, back seat in particular. The new technology of the RLX blows away the TL- separate time era.

Unfortunately, I agree that the PAWS current version handles like a refined Buick. I'm hopeful that the Hybrid AWD that comes out this Fall and is more sporty and will handle more like the BMW 5 Series and the new Lexus GS-350 F-Sport.

Okay, I now see that dwest test drove a base RLX. So maybe there's a difference from base to fully loaded- it can't be that much, though.

I did use the Sport mode and it still drove like a refined Buick.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

I agree that the Base RLX will not be a hot seller....when you reach that price territory, you might as well spend a little more and get the bells and whistle. The base RLX does not offer an exciting styling to win people over simply on looks alone....There is nothing to brag about on the look of the flagship....It is mainly in the technological advance that you have some bragging rights, so why exclude them of your shopping list.

That is just me though...

Neuronbob..I realize that the pic of the Cadillac may be off topic so please feel free to remove if you feel it will steer the conversation astray.
Nah, no worries. I'm curious at how the new CTS will turn out, myself, being a current owner. The images released look promising, and more is supposedly coming at 10 PM tonight.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I drove one yesterday. It was a base, but even with all the toys (some of which I found totally annoying - like the lane departure warning and blind spot monitoring stuff, which I didn't realize was there until the salesman pointed it out), it's not "better enough" than my TL to justify the change.

I like the amount of leather on the dash - that was nice. The version I drove had the half-grey and half-black interior, which was really gross. IMO the entire experience didn't feel exciting at all - not like the first time I drove my '12 TL 6MT. It wasn't even as special as the 06 RL I used to own. Didn't feel as warm a place to be as the old RL, and didn't feel as planted as the TL or old RL.

The PAWS was strange and didn't inspire confidence in spirited cornering like SH-AWD does. I know there's an AWD model coming - but at what cost? My TL has SH-AWD, which IMO is a great AWD system, and was $10K less than even the base RL. The hybrid AWD system that's coming for the RLX will no doubt be a package ABOVE the RLX Advanced, so what kind of $ are we talking then? $70K? That's 7-series and A8 territory. It makes me sad that they removed one of the best features of the brand (SH-AWD) from their flagship model.

I love Honda/Acura. I've owned 30 or so of them in the past 15 years including a '12 TL 6MT, '07 TSX 6MT, '02 RSX-S, and '06 RL... but sadly I think if Honda thinks they are going to sell a bunch of these dolled up FWD Accords for $60K, or even the AWD version for $70K, they're drunk.

Along those same lines - the new Accord is very nice. For the price of the RLX Advance, I'd rather own an Accord Touring Sedan AND an Accord 6MT Coupe V6 - which would be right around the same price.

For now, I'll keep my TL, and sit/wait/watch for what happens with the RLX. I'm not expecting much in terms of sales. Our local dealer is the only Acura dealer within 200 miles and they haven't sold one yet.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by i64X
I drove one yesterday. It was a base, but even with all the toys (some of which I found totally annoying - like the lane departure warning and blind spot monitoring stuff,

I love Honda/Acura. I've owned 30 or so of them in the past 15 years .
I was waiting to see how long it would take for people to be annoyed by the lane departure warning. It is only an intrusion if you change a lane without indicating so all those drivers out there who have driven for years without indicating are going to get a lesson from technology.

You have had 30 Hondas in 15 years!! Every 6 months you get a new one? Do you get bored with them that quickly?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I typically own two cars at once. I also used to buy cars, fix them up, and flip them. I did that a LOT. Hondas are the easiest to work on so I picked those. My TL is my 40th car total since I've been driving. The longest stretch of time that I've owned a car was the CRV that I had before the one I have currently - that one I had for just over 2 years. My current CRV (an 00) is coming up on 2 years. I don't plan to ever sell it because it took me so long to find the color combination in 4WD with a manual trans.

Sorry, didn't meant to derail the thread.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by i64X
I drove one yesterday. It was a base, but even with all the toys (some of which I found totally annoying - like the lane departure warning and blind spot monitoring stuff, which I didn't realize was there until the salesman pointed it out), it's not "better enough" than my TL to justify the change.

I like the amount of leather on the dash - that was nice. The version I drove had the half-grey and half-black interior, which was really gross. IMO the entire experience didn't feel exciting at all - not like the first time I drove my '12 TL 6MT. It wasn't even as special as the 06 RL I used to own. Didn't feel as warm a place to be as the old RL, and didn't feel as planted as the TL or old RL.

The PAWS was strange and didn't inspire confidence in spirited cornering like SH-AWD does. I know there's an AWD model coming - but at what cost? My TL has SH-AWD, which IMO is a great AWD system, and was $10K less than even the base RL. The hybrid AWD system that's coming for the RLX will no doubt be a package ABOVE the RLX Advanced, so what kind of $ are we talking then? $70K? That's 7-series and A8 territory. It makes me sad that they removed one of the best features of the brand (SH-AWD) from their flagship model.

I love Honda/Acura. I've owned 30 or so of them in the past 15 years including a '12 TL 6MT, '07 TSX 6MT, '02 RSX-S, and '06 RL... but sadly I think if Honda thinks they are going to sell a bunch of these dolled up FWD Accords for $60K, or even the AWD version for $70K, they're drunk.

Along those same lines - the new Accord is very nice. For the price of the RLX Advance, I'd rather own an Accord Touring Sedan AND an Accord 6MT Coupe V6 - which would be right around the same price.

For now, I'll keep my TL, and sit/wait/watch for what happens with the RLX. I'm not expecting much in terms of sales. Our local dealer is the only Acura dealer within 200 miles and they haven't sold one yet.
Now I know I'm not crazy! I experienced the exact same thing you did. I liked my 06 RL better than the RLX. The PWS felt like some else was steering the rear and the car felt wobbly. It could have had low tire pressure, but I don't know. It did not feel planted like my TL. When I test drove a Lincoln MZR? and got back in my TL, my interior felt old and dated. Got out of the RLX and into my TL and I was relieved that RLX was not my car. I drove the base also. I was very disappointed as I was looking to move up, now that my pockets are a little heavier. I'm waiting on the new TL and I have hope. If not, I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and go BMW. I am not a fan of German reliability and parts prices.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
New Review makes we not want to take a test drive...

I have been waiting for the RLX for several years to replace my aging 2005 RL, which I still like, but it is very long in the tooth. A local dealer has been e-mailing me to come test drive the RLX but I haven't made the time to do it since the general tone of the reviews range from OK to below average. I have just finished reading Dan Neil's review in today's Wall Street Journal and he hates the car. He slams the P-AWS steering, the handling and concludes it is far behind the competition. It makes me not want to even take the time to test drive a RLX.

I will probably still do a test drive because I like to make up my own mind. I have owned Acuras since I bought one of the first ones in 1984. Currently my wife drives a TSX. I have lots of love for the brand based on my 25+ years of experience but I will definitely test drive some other brands. Both the Audi A6 and A7 our on my list.

Once I do test drive the RLX, I will report back with my thoughts. The Hybrid AWD RLX sounds very interesting but I am not sure I want to wait for another 6-9 months if I like the Audi.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

dwest....I am not sure if you saw the leaked photos of the 2014 CTS but this seems promising:

Not , bad , but how about reliability?? American cars scare me!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

American cars scared me, too.....but my first CTS-V was as reliable as my RL was. Shocking that a supercar should be reliable, let alone an AMERICAN supercar, but yeah, it was. Not to mention my local dealer is freaking awesome.

I wouldn't buy a first-year American car still, though.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
American cars scared me, too.....but my first CTS-V was as reliable as my RL was. Shocking that a supercar should be reliable, let alone an AMERICAN supercar, but yeah, it was. Not to mention my local dealer is freaking awesome.

I wouldn't buy a first-year American car still, though.
While I don't have the V, I have had my CTS coupe for one year now (14K miles). The car has been pretty much bullet proof, except just recently when I went in for an oil change the SM told me they found a leak by the front engine cover that they repaired.

I have been keeping a spreadsheet comparing dealer visits for the CTS compared to my '06 RL (went through all the service records).

At 14K miles I had made two visits already to have the door handles replaced.

Here is a picture of mine just after I got new wheels. Not the best picture. Waiting for the weather to get better so I can take more.
Attached Thumbnails Had my test drive today-image.jpg  
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by GoHawks

At 14K miles I had made two visits already to have the door handles replaced.

On the RL
Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I have been waiting for the RLX for several years to replace my aging 2005 RL, which I still like, but it is very long in the tooth. A local dealer has been e-mailing me to come test drive the RLX but I haven't made the time to do it since the general tone of the reviews range from OK to below average. I have just finished reading Dan Neil's review in today's Wall Street Journal and he hates the car. He slams the P-AWS steering, the handling and concludes it is far behind the competition. It makes me not want to even take the time to test drive a RLX.

I will probably still do a test drive because I like to make up my own mind. I have owned Acuras since I bought one of the first ones in 1984. Currently my wife drives a TSX. I have lots of love for the brand based on my 25+ years of experience but I will definitely test drive some other brands. Both the Audi A6 and A7 our on my list.

Once I do test drive the RLX, I will report back with my thoughts. The Hybrid AWD RLX sounds very interesting but I am not sure I want to wait for another 6-9 months if I like the Audi.
If I lived in SoCal the RLX advanced with P-AWS would be in my top 3 List to replace my '07 RL. I wrote a full review in another thread. I'm waiting for the hybrid RLX because of snowy winters in NJ and it may have a sportier ride which I'd like.

I love my Acura dealer- VIP treatment every time I go. Their service team always find a way to charge me less for maintenance .

The Cadillac dealer I test drove an ATS is run by morons. Absolute stereotype of a New Jetsey Detroit-made car dealer. I won't mistakenly insult anyone here.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by acuralvr1

The Cadillac dealer I test drove an ATS is run by morons. Absolute stereotype of a New Jetsey Detroit-made car dealer. I won't mistakenly insult anyone here.
In my opinion the dealership experience is the make-or-break factor for Cadillac. It looks like they have the product to compete, although I will admit that long term reliability still needs to be proven, but the domestic dealership experience is still a question mark.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

On the RL
Im sure he meant the RL. Those door handles were a PITA. Acura knew it too.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:09 PM

Im sure he meant the RL. Those door handles were a PITA. Acura knew it too.
I did. I followed up to my own post.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

In my opinion the dealership experience is the make-or-break factor for Cadillac. It looks like they have the product to compete, although I will admit that long term reliability still needs to be proven, but the domestic dealership experience is still a question mark.
Too true. There are a LOT of awful Cadi dealers out there....a lot more awful dealers than in the Acura network. Part of it is the "independent franchisee" thing, where GM has only limited ways to punish bad dealers. I've been lucky with boh Acura and Cadi dealers.

Last edited by neuronbob; 03-29-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Weather, I was not aware of the new Caddy, but I googled some pic, and I MUST say, that is one sharp car!! Im definitly gonna shop it. I know Im beating a dead horse, but why oh why can't Acura design something like that. There is no bland in the new Caddy. The interior is very nice. Just hope the audio system is nice and it handles well. I test drove the first CTS and while it had a nice ride, I felt the 2006 RL was better. I don't think that will be the case this time based on my test drive of the RLX.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:06 PM

Weather, I was not aware of the new Caddy, but I googled some pic, and I MUST say, that is one sharp car!! Im definitly gonna shop it. I know Im beating a dead horse, but why oh why can't Acura design something like that. There is no bland in the new Caddy. The interior is very nice. Just hope the audio system is nice and it handles well. I test drove the first CTS and while it had a nice ride, I felt the 2006 RL was better. I don't think that will be the case this time based on my test drive of the RLX.

The general consensus on the Cadillac forums is that overall the car is sharp, but the rear is a bit bland.

My coupe has a firmer setup than what I had in my RL, but I like it. Handles great, but there is no hiding that the current car is a bit heavy. The new CTS is supposed to have gone on a diet which is supposed to further improve handling.

The current gen CTS' come in three suspension flavors. Comfort (FE1) on the base models. Performance (FE2) on higher trim levels and the coupe, and Sport (FE3) which is very firm, some say more of a track setup that comes with the 19" wheels and summer only tires (not available in AWD). Like the ATS and the current CTS-V, the new CTS can be had with the Magnetic Ride Control that is also offered on the Corvettes.

I drove the current ATS and it handles very well.

There seems to be an engine choice for everyone. A 270 HP Turbo 4. A 321 HP 3.6L V6. Both available either in AWD or RWD versions. The V-sport is the one that is generating a lot of excitement with a twin turbo 3.6L V6 that is supposed to generate 420 HP.

The only complaint is that the V-sport will not be available in AWD.

It is supposed to be a bit more expensive though.

Last edited by GoHawks; 03-30-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

The general consensus on the Cadillac forums is that overall the car is sharp, but the rear is a bit bland.

My coupe has a firmer setup than what I had in my RL, but I like it. Handles great, but there is no hiding that the current car is a bit heavy. The new CTS is supposed to have gone on a diet which is supposed to further improve handling.

The current gen CTS' come in three suspension flavors. Comfort (FE1) on the base models. Performance (FE2) on higher trim levels and the coupe, and Sport (FE3) which is very firm, some say more of a track setup that comes with the 19" wheels and summer only tires (not available in AWD). Like the ATS and the current CTS-V, the new CTS can be had with the Magnetic Ride Control that is also offered on the Corvettes.

I drove the current ATS and it handles very well.

There seems to be an engine choice for everyone. A 270 HP Turbo 4. A 321 HP 3.6L V6. Both available either in AWD or RWD versions. The V-sport is the one that is generating a lot of excitement with a twin turbo 3.6L V6 that is supposed to generate 420 HP.

The only complaint is that the V-sport will not be available in AWD.

It is supposed to be a bit more expensive though.
Thank you for the info. I will have to check out the Caddy forums. I will only be interested int the Twin Turbo V6. I can live without AWD, and I don't drive my cars in the snow. I love a firm suspension, and that was always a Acura/honda hallmark. I really like the lines on the new CTS.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM

Thank you for the info. I will have to check out the Caddy forums. I will only be interested int the Twin Turbo V6. I can live without AWD, and I don't drive my cars in the snow. I love a firm suspension, and that was always a Acura/honda hallmark. I really like the lines on the new CTS.
Quality is always the question mark. The current gen CTS had some quality issues with the first two model years ('08-'09) and got progressively better, especially post-bankruptcy. Consumer Reports recently named Cadillac as the most reliable domestic brand. Not quite at Lexus and Infiniti, but above a couple of the German brands.

Normally I would be leery of a first model year, but so far there haven't been any chronic issues with the ATS and XTS (both in their first year) with the exception of some usability issues with CUE which seem to be addressed with some programming updates.

I too feel the rear is a little bland, but overall it is much more aggressive looking and I like it better than the RLX (again, just my opinion).

Enough of that as it wasn't my intent to hijack this thread.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts

The first Acura models came out as 1986 models in late '85. Just being anal and making the correction. No offense intended.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as you are looking at the Audi A6 you should check out the BMW 535i, but make sure you drive one with the M-Sport package.