AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX (2013+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/)
-   -   Goodbye beloved 2016 SH (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/goodbye-beloved-2016-sh-971790/)

pgeorg 07-22-2018 04:59 PM

Goodbye beloved 2016 SH

Just wanted to let you guys know that I traded in my beloved 2016 SH, for a 2019 RDX SH-AWD.

Because of some serious back problems I've had for the last few years, it is very hard for me to sit in a regular car.

I will still be around and if you need anything from the Service manual, please feel free to PM me.

Also if anyone around the Westchester NY area would like my winter wheels-tires for the SH, they can have them.

They are the OEM 18in RLX wheels with the Hakka tires.

hondamore 07-22-2018 05:23 PM

pgeorg, I hope that the switch to an SUV brings some relief from your back problems and that a full resolution to your problems is possible in the future. Your knowledge and insights will be missed by all. I wish you many, many trouble free miles with your RDX. All the best.

pgeorg 07-22-2018 05:29 PM

Thank you for the kind words hondamore, I really appreciate it.

This is the only forum I have taken an active roll in, and thats because all of you guys are great!

fsmith 07-22-2018 07:09 PM

No, say it isn't so, pgeorg. So sorry about your back. And your help with our many questions here has been just amazing. I'm almost inclined to get a new RDX just to get your future help! But I still love my RLX SH-AWD too much. Hope your back heals soon.

fsmith 07-22-2018 07:12 PM

pgeorg - I briefly sat in the new RDX when I was at my dealership last week (getting my suddenly squeaking steering column replaced), and I had some trouble with the new on-top-of-the-dash NAV screen (washout against a bright sky in the windshield). I'll be curious how you find it once you've driven the car a bit, as that design may migrate.

neuronbob 07-22-2018 07:24 PM

You are still the man, pgeorg. :thumbsup: Good taste in the Hakkas for winter tires. I haven't owned a set, but everyone I know around here who's had them (only few) has raved over them. Hopefully, the RDX is the right prescription for your back problems.

pgeorg 07-22-2018 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by fsmith (Post 16268680)
No, say it isn't so, pgeorg. So sorry about your back. And your help with our many questions here has been just amazing. I'm almost inclined to get a new RDX just to get your future help! But I still love my RLX SH-AWD too much. Hope your back heals soon.

Thank you fsmith! I would have definitely stayed with the SH, if it was possible. The RDX is a very nice ride (have done 200 miles so far), but it can't compare to the SH......its a few levels below.

Originally Posted by fsmith (Post 16268682)
pgeorg - I briefly sat in the new RDX when I was at my dealership last week (getting my suddenly squeaking steering column replaced), and I had some trouble with the new on-top-of-the-dash NAV screen (washout against a bright sky in the windshield). I'll be curious how you find it once you've driven the car a bit, as that design may migrate.

The screen was super sharp for the 150 miles I've driven it in the sun. No washout and no glair, but I will have to drive it more to be certain.

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 16268684)
You are still the man, pgeorg. :thumbsup: Good taste in the Hakkas for winter tires. I haven't owned a set, but everyone I know around here who's had them (only few) has raved over them. Hopefully, the RDX is the right prescription for your back problems.

Thank you Bob! I have the Blizzaks on my MDX (Hakkas were all sold out), and they are excellent also. They are a couple of steps below the Hakkas though......They will go on the RDX also.

RLX-Sport Hybrid 07-22-2018 08:15 PM

pgeorg, you are a very kind soul and a good man. Having suffered through my own back injury and overcome, I wish you a speedy recovery and many happy safe miles ahead of you.

pgeorg 07-22-2018 08:19 PM

Thank you RLX-Sport Hybrid!

moose66 07-23-2018 08:12 AM

Enjoy the RDX. It looks like it is going to be quite the hit. We'll miss you around the RLX forum. Your insight has been more than beneficial to us all. Thankfully for all of us, you aren't going away, just down the road, so to say!

Best of luck with the RDX and the back!!!!

Limelight 07-23-2018 08:17 AM

Nooo.... Say it ain’t so!!

I’m so sorry to hear that health issues caused you to have to trade in your SH. Someone will be very lucky to secure your exceptionally well cared for vehicle.

I know I speak for all on this forum when I say you have been nothing short of awesome to any and all who ever had questions. In this crazy world we live in, you are truly a gem.

Health and family will always come before toys so I wish you good health and recovery from your back issues my friend!

George Knighton 07-23-2018 08:49 AM

Καλή τύχη

pgeorg 07-23-2018 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by moose66 (Post 16268877)
Enjoy the RDX. It looks like it is going to be quite the hit. We'll miss you around the RLX forum. Your insight has been more than beneficial to us all. Thankfully for all of us, you aren't going away, just down the road, so to say!

Best of luck with the RDX and the back!!!!

Thank you moose66! I will still be checking this forum, and if you need anything let me know.

The RDX is pretty good, but its no SH......

pgeorg 07-23-2018 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Limelight (Post 16268883)
Nooo.... Say it ain’t so!!

I’m so sorry to hear that health issues caused you to have to trade in your SH. Someone will be very lucky to secure your exceptionally well cared for vehicle.

I know I speak for all on this forum when I say you have been nothing short of awesome to any and all who ever had questions. In this crazy world we live in, you are truly a gem.

Health and family will always come before toys so I wish you good health and recovery from your back issues my friend!

Thank you limelight, you are too kind!

pgeorg 07-23-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by George Knighton (Post 16268908)
Καλή τύχη

Ευχαριστώ πολύ Γιώργο!

Το Type R μετά από ένα ολόκληρο χρόνο έχει μόνο 250 μίλια :(.

hondamore 07-23-2018 05:15 PM

^^^I tried greek once but my wife didn't really enjoy it.

(that is my feeble attempt to lighten the sadness we all feel because of pgeorg's leaving)

flagship 07-24-2018 07:24 PM

PG is it hard or strange adjusting from a sedan to SUV? I am considering getting an RDX advanced due to it being the only “really new generation” Acura even though I have always liked sedans. Hope your back is feeling better.

pgeorg 07-25-2018 07:39 AM

Flagship,

Thank you!
I have always had a sedan as my personal car. This is the first SUV-Crossover, that I purchased for myself. We also have a 2014 MDX that my wife drives, and I have been driving that the last couple of months. I got used to it pretty fast, and it was an easy transition going from the MDX back to the RLX, the days my wife needed her car. I have to say though, that every time I went back to the RLX, I remembered that I really like sedans much better......
The RDX is really nice and it drives mostly like a sedan, unlike the MDX where you know you're in a SUV. One of the many reasons I chose the RDX, instead of going with the MDX Hybrid.
I hope this helps you a little bit, although its a very personal thing.

KeithL 07-25-2018 05:51 PM

I am sure as I age the SUV will look more appealing, but my wife has had RDXs and just ordered a 19, but I don’t see me making the change anytime soon, just love the handling, feel and drive of a sedan.

pcloadletter 07-25-2018 07:57 PM

Does the RDX have the adaptive suspension with adjustable dampers like the MDX? This option sorely missing on the RLX.

I didn't know the RDX is all new, just watched the Motorweek review, looks nice.

I'd be glad to take the winter tire package off of your hands.

pgeorg 07-25-2018 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by pcloadletter (Post 16270660)
Does the RDX have the adaptive suspension with adjustable dampers like the MDX? This option sorely missing on the RLX.

I didn't know the RDX is all new, just watched the Motorweek review, looks nice.

I'd be glad to take the winter tire package off of your hands.

Yes the Advanced has the adjustable dampers, and they work very well. Its a shame the RLX does not have them.....

I am sorry, but some else contacted me earlier this morning about the winter tire package.

KenRLX 07-25-2018 08:32 PM

There is a currently a set of 4 factory 18 inch RLX wheels on Ebay that would work well for a set of snows....

JSakaBuck 07-26-2018 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by fsmith (Post 16268682)

Hi fsmith....

I have to ask about your steering column problem. The steering column in my '15 RLX Paws screeches to high heaven whenever it adjusts itself out of the way whenever I am exiting the car. The dealer blamed me for the noise saying that I was holding onto the wheel when exiting. I know "BS" when I hear it. The steering column screeches whether or not I'm touching it.

Was this your issue, or something different?

Many thanks for some additional information on your issue.

The noise is driving me crazy.

pgeorg 07-26-2018 04:38 PM

^^
There is a TSB for the screechy steering column, courtesy of EE4Life:

TSB 14-031 was revised to include the 2016 RLX. Mods to update post #1 with the updated information below.

TSB 14-031 - Steering Column Screeches When Moving
Applies To: 2014-16 RLX - ALL - ALL
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B14-031.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...nu/B14-031.PDF

fsmith 07-26-2018 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by JSakaBuck (Post 16271109)

Hi fsmith....

I have to ask about your steering column problem. The steering column in my '15 RLX Paws screeches to high heaven whenever it adjusts itself out of the way whenever I am exiting the car. The dealer blamed me for the noise saying that I was holding onto the wheel when exiting. I know "BS" when I hear it. The steering column screeches whether or not I'm touching it.

Ha! I say get a new dealer. As pgeorg (he of the late 2016 SH-AWD, but still lurking, to all our benefits) has so kindly pointed out above, there is a very clear TSB on this issue. Give them the TSB number. Perhaps offer to print it out for them! BTW, it seems this issue is often intermittent, as it was for me over a couple of weeks, and worse in the hot weather. The sound is god-aweful. Please do not put up with it. It obviously has nothing to do with the way you hold your steering wheel.

Scott in AZ 07-27-2018 12:36 AM

We’re considering trading my wife’s low mileage 2014 RDX-Tech for a new MDX or RDX to get a little more room and all the advanced safety features that are now offered. I realize they are different SUVs pgeorg, but I’m interested in you insights. Which is “better”? All new RDX or current generation MDX?

- How is the four cylinder turbo??
- Did you consider waiting on a Hybrid RDX?
- MDX v RDX >> Which is “better”?

Thanks.

pgeorg 07-27-2018 09:49 AM

I have a 2014 MDX SH-AWD, and now a 2019 RDX SH-AWD. I have a lot of seat time on the MDX, and its an extremely nice SUV to drive. I have done 450 miles on the RDX so far, so this is a very early assessment.

The MDX drives more like a big SUV, you sit higher, its more difficult to get in and out, it makes more noise when you drive, you need more effort to drive it, interior quality is just ok, rear loading area floor is high, very slow throttle tip in response, shocks are awful.

The MDX has 3 zone climate control (rear passengers can control their own settings), you can tow 5,000lb, power adjusted steering wheel, third row (although very cramped),

The RDX drives more like a car, its very nimble, very easy to get in and out, much more upscale interior, much better infotainment system, very low rear loading area floor, hands free tailgate opening, adjustable suspension in the advanced is excellent, 16 way front seats are awesome and same for driver and passenger, much better all around visibility especially looking out the front, the chassis is excellent, remote start from the AcuraLink app.

The RDX is missing the second row HVAC controls, remote start is an accessory even on the Advanced, infotainment system has some bugs, can tow only 1,500lb, manual adjustable steering wheel, much less interior storage, comes with the crappy Continental tires, fuel economy is low - around 24mpg highway - but it is not broken in yet, no folding side mirrors.

The 2.0T is brilliant, especially matted to the 10 speed Honda transmission. It moves the RDX effortless, and the noise is low....at least under 4,000rpm. Has not gone higher, since I'm still breaking it in. One small negative is the extremely short first gear, but I will get used to that.

I did not consider waiting on a Hybrid RDX, since I would think if it comes it will come in a year or two.

MDX vs RDX >> I can only answer that for myself, because they are two different vehicles. I did not want a large SUV, because it takes much more effort to do everything with it. The RDX is fast, agile, easy in and out of the seat, etc. I can say that the current generation MDX, is getting old and needs to be completely updated......just like the 2nd generation RDX.

HTH