Gasoline.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Gasoline.

Gasoline...

I know this may not be an exciting topic..But I have noticed differences and am curious as to what others have experienced..Quality..performance. MPG..

I have a 2017 RLX AWS..and have noticed a difference in performance..smoothness in shifting. engine noise however .the MPG stays consistent from one manufacturer to another...

I only run Top Tier fuels and only premium..

I had the opportunity to speak to a "team" doing a fuel analysis at a BP station and asked about fuel quality/refining and general questions..

They informed me that almost all locally refined fuels are refined to base specs and only then do the distributors/manufacturers place their respective additives/blends in the fuel to be blended and then have it transported to the respective stations

These are my "scientific" findings

Ive found Marathon Gasoline fuel to be well balanced..in overall performance..and where I live its almost always 20/25 % less than other top tier fuels.

It may be due to the fact that Marathon has its own refining facility in Ohio

Shell is always the MOST expensive and although it performs well it is somewhat "ratty" in engine noise.. the transmission shift points are more pronounced as well..

BP is the least responsive in performance and its pricing is almost always comparative to Shell

Cotsco..least favorite..

All of these price points are within 1 Mile of each other

Pricing examples as of this AM:

Shell $ 3.20/ BP. $ 3.29/ Marathon/ $ 2.50/Cotsco $ 2.55
Old 10-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't understand how Shell gasoline or for that matter any gasoline have anything to do with transmission shifting! I am listening though....
Old 10-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Advanced

The engine management system and transmission all "function" well with Premium fuel..( try running your RLX with lower octane /cheap gas and tell me how smooth it shifts) However the smoothness of any transmission is a result of a number of factors and the quality of the fuel is very important..

I do not have cylinder deactivation on My Porsche Macan S but will notice a difference in shift points from one fuel to another

On my Acura.. it can become rough dropping from 6 to 3 cylinders.. In fact the transmission feels like it is dropping two gears when this happens..

Hope this helps

A direct injected 3.5-liter "Earth Dreams" V6 using VTEC and Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) coupled with a 6-speed automatic receive an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 20/30/23 mpg (city/highway/combined) and the maximum output is 310 hp @6500 rpm and 272 lb-ft of torque @4500 rpm. The fuel saving VCM system works in either 6 or 3 cylinder configurations, the new model uses more sophisticated engine mounts which bypasses the need for a 4-cylinder mode which would result in a lower NVH.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:47 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Interesting. I have been going back and forth between premium and regular unleaded for many years and have never noticed this. Time for an experiment!!
Old 10-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofire
I don't understand how Shell gasoline or for that matter any gasoline have anything to do with transmission shifting! I am listening though....
I was right there with you! Still not quite sure I get it. But it matters not to me. Only Top Tier premium fuel (when available) for me with no noticeable changes to the cars behavior based on brand selection. I'll be on the lookout now though!
Old 10-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Advanced

You must have better quality fuel.. in MA...

We have had very specific guidelines on gasoline ..in Ohio The federal govt has changed its previous mandate( Ohio – RVP of 7.8 psi: EPA published a final rule on April 7, 2017 (82 FR 16932) that removed Ohio’s gasoline rule that applied to 8 counties in the Cincinnati and Dayton areas from the approved SIP.)

In fact we dread the winter/vs summer fuel changes

In addition you have to be careful as to station location..some of being retrofitted ..some do not see higher traffic patterns..

Not too many years ago.. I purchased a brand new BMW and had to have it towed after a fillup at a local BP Station..to remove the water that had formed in the stations' tanks..
Old 10-03-2017, 03:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by moose66
I was right there with you! Still not quite sure I get it. But it matters not to me. Only Top Tier premium fuel (when available) for me with no noticeable changes to the cars behavior based on brand selection. I'll be on the lookout now though!
My brother just moved to North Carolina..tells me the women are beautiful ..the men are brilliant .. and the gasoline is as sweet and pure as the morning dew.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Philisophe
My brother just moved to North Carolina..tells me the women are beautiful ..the men are brilliant .. and the gasoline is as sweet and pure as the morning dew.
LOL. I hate to ask where he was before he moved to NC! As a spoken for fellow, I'll just stick to trying to talk about cars here, brilliantly! And yes, the gas I've encountered is sweet and pure!
Old 10-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Philisophe
Not too many years ago.. I purchased a brand new BMW and had to have it towed after a fillup at a local BP Station..to remove the water that had formed in the stations' tanks..
That is one of the few benefits of the E10 fuel; the alcohol binds with any water in the various tanks the fuel runs through and continually "drys" them out.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Advanced

He was from Columbus Ohio..he loves the Carolinas ..However he says its been hard to adjust..that the Carolinians enjoy life much more day to day than his previous 24/7 pace
Old 10-03-2017, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by horseshoez
That is one of the few benefits of the E10 fuel; the alcohol binds with any water in the various tanks the fuel runs through and continually "drys" them out.

Oh yeah...had to "invite" the legal team..as BMW stated it was not a warranty issue and BP implied it was not their fuel...tanks...

In this state ..you really need to be aware of your fuel sources .. not only for fuel,,but we are having a big problem with skimmers

Police in Worthington are investigating after a skimmer, similar to the one found in Dublin earlier this week, was found at a gas station’s pump.

According to the Franklin County Auditor’s Office, the skimmer was found at the Marathon gas station at 911 N. High Street in Worthington.

Auditors say the skimmer was similar the one found in Dublin on Tuesday, however this particular skimmer had a key pad attached that could catch

Search this Thread