Future safety improvements for Acurawatch

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Future safety improvements for Acurawatch

A few things that have always bothered me about Acurawatch that could be improved in the future:

1) the audible "tone" alerts you get for either FCW, CMBS, LDW, or BSI should come through the main Audio system. Not through the standalone mechanism it uses now to generate the tone. The "audible" warning is rendered completely useless when you have the stereo up, and it doesn't have too be THAT loud to drown out the tone.

2) I think each warning system should have it's own unique alert tone or sound. The reason I suggest this is because LDW can be overly sensitive, especially driving alot of the windy one lane back-roads here in North Georiga (which are fun to drive in the RLX) and after 2 years of driving the RLX, I've come to sorta ignore that warning tone mainly because of how sensitive LDW is. And yes, I know I can turn it off, but that's not point. The point is the warning tone for LDW happens to be the same warning tone used for every other Acurawatch function and after time it can cause the driver to become desensitized to that audio alert tone, thus reducing the effectiveness of it being used for the other functions of Acurwatch. For example, FCW should get something like an audible voice saying "warning warning". Especially for something like BSI whereby the tone in many cases is more important than the visual alert....which leads to my last suggestion...

3) BSI should have a very unique tone AND have more visual warnings that don't rely on the driver to be looking at the side-view mirror. For example maybe one of the three yellow dashboard warning lights comes on, or you get a directional warning on the MID. The reason I suggest this one is because when you think about it, the most dangerous part of changing lanes is when the driver DOESN'T look to see if someone is on their side (let alone the blind-spot). Even the most diligent drivers who always look before changing lanes, sometimes forget in the haste to change lanes (for whatever reasons). If you're radio is up loud, well, you won't hear the audible alert, and since you've forgotten to look at the side view mirror, you also don't get the visual alert. These two conditions (which I'd say are not uncommon) render BSI practically useless.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:06 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
I would like to see the blind spot indicator on the mirror itself. That's where I look when first considering changing lanes before checking over my shoulder. With my past 2 Acuras, I've had to train my eye to scan over the pillar towards my mirror but that's a split second where my attention is distracted.

I tend to agree with your recommendations but worry with too many sounds or it going through the audio system, people will complain that it sounds like the car is going for the high score in a video game. Everyone has differing opinions on this stuff so instead of having a new set of standards, they should allow more customization for the driver to better meet everyone's needs.

I do like the brighter blind spot light in the RLX - it's much brighter than in my 4G TL - which was sometimes hard to see during the day...
Old 06-16-2015, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^
I strongly agree with the suggestion to place the blind spot indicator on the side mirror itself. its current location makes it very difficult to see, especially on the passenger side. Thankfully, I have my mirrors adjusted correctly, so I have no blind spots and traffic behind me flows from the center mirror immediately into either side mirror. I wish everyone did that instead of focusing their side mirrors where they can have lane placement.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I think this is changing. The '16 ILX now has it's BSI on the mirror
Blind Spot Information (BSI) System | 2016 Acura ILX | Acura Owners Site
Old 06-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
people will complain that it sounds like the car is going for the high score in a video game.
it can be a subtle change, but enough to make a difference. for example use the same tone, just change the pattern or rhythm in which it triggers for the different functions.

beep beep beep = BSI

beeeeeep.....beeeeep...=LDW

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppp = FCW
Old 06-16-2015, 11:43 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
I would like to see the blind spot indicator on the mirror itself. That's where I look when first considering changing lanes before checking over my shoulder. With my past 2 Acuras, I've had to train my eye to scan over the pillar towards my mirror but that's a split second where my attention is distracted.
I am with you a 100%. In fact I made the same suggestion to the Advance Product guys when they interviewed me a month after taking delivery. It just makes more sense. Several other brands use that system so I can't image it is a big job to move the BSI to the side mirror.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Putting it on the side mirror is great, but it still does no good for those people who either forget or are too irresponsible to look at their side view mirror when changing lanes.

hence my suggestions around more distinct audible alerts as well as additional visual alerts that come up in the MID or on the HUD.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Several other brands use that system so I can't image it is a big job to move the BSI to the side mirror.
There's ALOT of things "several other brands" have on similarly priced cars, yet it seems like an act of god for Acura to offer on them on their flagship...