Frigid temperature causing issues with electronics?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Frigid temperature causing issues with electronics?

Hello, all! My 2017 Sport Hybrid Advance dash lit up like Christmas Tree this morning. It was fine (normal operation) for about 2-3 miles and then all these lights came on:

Adaptive Cruise Control Problem
Electric Parking Problem
All Wheel Drive System Problem
Brake System Problem
Brake Hold System Problem
Power Steering System (EPS) Problem
Anti-lock Brake System Problem
Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem
Hill Start Assist Problem
Collision Mitigation System Problem
Road Departure Mitigation System Problem

Pretty sure it's weather related (in the single digits this morning). Drove the vehicle perfectly fine the day before. After these light came on, I continued to drive to work and I noticed the car was constantly on IC Engine mode, even though the battery was fully charged, the vehicle never switched to battery/electric mode; running the front wheels only, not engaging the rear (looking at power distribution info). On my way back home in the evening, briefly all the warning lights turned off and was operating normal until I slowed down pretty close to the car in front of me and the CMBS flashed the BRAKE sign and all the warning lights came back on--and stayed on. Made an appointment with Acura dealer for this afternoon. We shall see what's going on.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Where do you live? Not that it matters. Just curious as to how cold the conditions were/are you were driving in.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

Ah, sorry. I’m out in Long Island, NY. Definitely not as cold as the Mid West right now.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Unhappy Minneapolis experience (2016 RLX SH-AWD)

I have not had that happen here in Minneapolis this week. I had a business trip to Fargo, ND on Monday (01/28) - parked car at Park-N-Fly near MSP airport on Monday evening (covered parking -25 F). Returned Tuesday evening to get car - car started fine but sounded different (rough). NO warning lights like the OP had. Upon exiting the parking facility rolled down driver's side window to pay - window would NOT roll back up. Frozen. Had to drive approx. 30 miles to get home. 5 miles from home the window slowly inched its way to the closed position.
Not a happy camper

Temp today is +13 F (1PM CST) - window works fine. Let us know what the dealer finds....
Old 02-02-2019, 03:49 AM
Intermediate

@Krlesch That's cold. Really, really cold. Not anything close to those temperatures over here in LI. And I'll be pretty upset if I had to drive close to 25 miles with a window down in that temperature. Nightmare...

So dropped off the car at local Acura dealership. They found an error code in wheel sensor which triggered all the other warning lights to come on and put the car on limp mode (max 75mph). They cleared the code, test drove for five miles. No other warning lights came back on. Clear to go. Drove it home. Everything operated normal.

UPDATE:
So late last night, few blocks away from my house, all the same warning lights came back on. I'm assuming either one of the wheel sensors are bad. TPMS is reading fine so I'm assuming it's the speed sensor--but speedometer has been acting normal. I guess it's another trip to the dealer. I'll keep you guys posted.

Love this car but this is not fun.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Many of us who have experienced these symptoms have found that the 12-volt battery is on the verge of giving up the ghost.

Mine gave up around 71,000 miles and most of the way through four years of operation, with symptoms virtually identical to yours.

The only thing different is that the only thing that they found bad was the battery. :-)
Old 02-04-2019, 10:21 AM
Intermediate

@George Knighton Thank you for the heads up on what to look for/tell the service adviser. I'll be dropping off the car this afternoon and tell them to check the battery. I hope it's just the battery!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Intermediate

Dropped off the car at the dealership last Monday and picked it up on Saturday. Service Adviser informed me the R/R Wheel Speed Sensor has been replaced. Drove it around all weekend. So far, so good.

Enjoyed driving 2018 RLX PAWS as a loaner for the past week. I like the 10 speed AT--very smooth. But happy to have my sport hybrid back!

Something I did notice while the car was in limp mode (before I dropped it off at dealer), when parallel parking (switching back and forth between R and D), there was a delay in engaging the gear compared to the normal mode=MEANING the car would move forward (or backwards, depending on grade) for few inches before gear is engaged. Maybe this is due to losing Hill Start Assist Control?
Old 02-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec_v6
Dropped off the car at the dealership last Monday and picked it up on Saturday. Service Adviser informed me the R/R Wheel Speed Sensor has been replaced. Drove it around all weekend. So far, so good.

Enjoyed driving 2018 RLX PAWS as a loaner for the past week. I like the 10 speed AT--very smooth. But happy to have my sport hybrid back!

Something I did notice while the car was in limp mode (before I dropped it off at dealer), when parallel parking (switching back and forth between R and D), there was a delay in engaging the gear compared to the normal mode=MEANING the car would move forward (or backwards, depending on grade) for few inches before gear is engaged. Maybe this is due to losing Hill Start Assist Control?
Any updates to this? I had the same problem. All warning lights on the dash were on for a few days and the car has been feeling underpowered and not as smooth. Idle is rough too. All warnings spontaneously resolved.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

rick_sambora - the dash lights look quite similar to what I experienced. But -15 degrees! That's cold. Just take it to the dealer and have them check the code. The Acura dealership cleared the code, test drove, everything came back fine. I took the car home and that same night the lights came back on. Went back to dealer and dropped it off. Found a bad wheel sensor. Replaced part. No issues since!

Was your car in limp mode while the lights on dash were on? Max speed should be governed at 75mph (in limp mode).

Here is the write up by the SA:
Old 02-16-2019, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vtec_v6
rick_sambora - the dash lights look quite similar to what I experienced. But -15 degrees! That's cold. Just take it to the dealer and have them check the code. The Acura dealership cleared the code, test drove, everything came back fine. I took the car home and that same night the lights came back on. Went back to dealer and dropped it off. Found a bad wheel sensor. Replaced part. No issues since!

Was your car in limp mode while the lights on dash were on? Max speed should be governed at 75mph (in limp mode).

Here is the write up by the SA:
Yes, it went into limp mode for the time that the lights were on. Thanks for this info. I am dropping it off on Monday. I understand that our cars have a very complicated drivetrain but I would assume Acura did cold weather testing before releasing this technology to the market. I will report back when I get more info from the dealership after the diagnostics.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:48 PM
Instructor

got the car back today.
Replaced high pressure fuel pump.
also performed a TSB on the transmission that required fluid change and a software update.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:13 PM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a necro thread, but wanted to reinforce the advice of checking the battery when warning lights suddenly appear. Driving home from work yesterday - outside temp in the 20's - car has been operating great w/ no issues - suddenly get "AWD System Failure" on the dash. Luckily, the dealership is on the way home so stopped in to have them check the car - I suggested they check the battery (original battery from 2016). Sure enough - bad battery - since I am still in the 4 yr/50k warranty period I got a new battery installed at NO COST!!! All warning lights are gone, and the car is operating perfectly. 44K on the odometer and still loving this car
The following 2 users liked this post by Krlesch:
hondamore (02-13-2020), vtec_v6 (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 07:56 AM
Intermediate

Ah, new battery under warranty. Lucky!
Old 02-21-2020, 08:08 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
So far, I've only got around 3 /12 to 4 years out of the Acura 100 month batteries. Usually replace with Interstate and get full warranty period+ with them.