First scratch

Old 04-17-2015, 11:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
First scratch

Some nimrod appears to have slid against my car in a parking lot. The passenger side doors, front door handle, and mirror are all scratched up, many deep enough to catch my fingernail. It's about the right height for an SUV. Hard to say how much is paint transfer. Of course, no letter claiming responsibility. Now I'll have to take it to a body shop for some repainting and a lot of buffing. Grrrrrrr.......

Old 04-18-2015, 04:43 AM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
Ow.

I park my car far away from other cars at at stores, if I can, but eventually there is no where else to park and...it happens. (And sometimes "I" happen. )

It is a form of societal obsolescence: it's good for society that entropy requires work to maintain order.(repair)..and eventually another new car. In addition to this burden of human behavior, there is also the pseudo planned variance in "style" that those under 35 years of age are a slave to, as well as others that are "hangers on". The rest of us content wearing a suit with the wrong lapel width and the wrong number of buttons on the cuff are by definition old and irrelevant. (This site IS made up people who are still interested in technological change, and willing to spend to experience it. So maybe I should not ridicule those who want to change their countertops from granite to quartz because of what's in style).

Whew, rambling. I am sorry for your car, that is a longish scrape. More to fix.

Last edited by sooththetruth; 04-18-2015 at 04:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MisterZDX (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 06:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
neuronbob....I am so sorry to see your RLX having been damaged. I can't begin to tell you how much seeing things like this upsets me....gets my blood pressure through the roof! How can someone not see a vehicle in the mirrors and such, but then, not even take ownership for their mistake. I swear if I ever would witness something like this, I would follow the person and get their information and such and then report it to the police so the owner could get the required information.

In any event, I hope the damages aren't going to be too expensive and can be done with minimal amount of repainting.

Keep us posted and again, sorry this happened to you my friend....
Old 04-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Some nimrod appears to have slid against my car in a parking lot. The passenger side doors, front door handle, and mirror are all scratched up, many deep enough to catch my fingernail. It's about the right height for an SUV. Hard to say how much is paint transfer. Of course, no letter claiming responsibility. Now I'll have to take it to a body shop for some repainting and a lot of buffing. Grrrrrrr.......

So I slept in past 6am for the first time in weeks, got up leisurely, prepared a nice cup of coffee and read the newspaper. After booting the computer I turn on the Zine to see what is the latest and greatest with our group, and WHAMMMMM!!! I see that Dr. Bob didn't get a scratch. That is an assault! Someone accidentally rubbing their purse or their winter jacket against the car as they walk past in a parking lot would infuriate me, but that is a car which did that! It isn't even my car and I am pissed! It would suck if you did that yourself and then you would have nobody to blame, but that is just a flagrant act of ASSHOLE!! Yes I know I am not supposed to curse on the site, but this deserves it. I'm very sorry my friend. You are right that is going to need paint, because buffing will help but it won't go away. make sure you go to a body shop that handles Porsche, MB, Audi and BMW, because they have requirements to be certified for those makes. If they are certified to handle those cars, then they are more likely to do a good job on yours. Again I am very sorry.

Good Morning.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Suspect it happened on one of my trips to Sam's Club a few days ago. The scratches had been covered with dirt from recent rain and I only noticed after I thoroughly cleaned the car.

I'm thankful the idiot didn't dent the car. Looks like about a $500-600 job as that's typical for 1-2 panels in my area. Since I have a $500 deductible, I'll likely be paying out of pocket. Getting estimates today.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Suspect it happened on one of my trips to Sam's Club a few days ago. The scratches had been covered with dirt from recent rain and I only noticed after I thoroughly cleaned the car.

I'm thankful the idiot didn't dent the car. Looks like about a $500-600 job as that's typical for 1-2 panels in my area. Since I have a $500 deductible, I'll likely be paying out of pocket. Getting estimates today.
Make sure the shop that does the work removes the door handle, side view mirror and trim and doesn't just tape it off. Again I am angry they did this to you. I'm sorry.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:37 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Neuronbob - The picture caused me to make that soft exhilation, quiet "ohhhh" sound, and holding of breath at the end of breathing out, that is I think what people refer to when they say "my heart sank". That series of gestures was followed by a short expletive and the thought of my own car. I have recovered, but I am guessing that at least in that first instant I felt what you did, so I can honestly say that I really did feel your pain. But "shit happens", money will make it as good as new, and it has to happen to each of us at some point. I'm really sorry, you didn't deserve that. Just get it fixed ASAP and the car and you will be fine again!
Old 04-18-2015, 07:39 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Argghh. This is the kind of human behavior that is hard to take, much less explain. I envision some humoungo SUV being pulled into/out of a spot while being driven by someone who's so wrapped up in some idiotic phone call ("where you at") that they don't even realize they clocked your side. Good luck with the repair.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
looks like the SUV cut the wheel before backing all the way....

I always back straight out before cutting the wheel.
dumb ass drivers!

sorry bob!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:06 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Looks more like a shopping cart collision.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I'm so sorry neuronbob!!!

I envision a couple of scenarios equally frustrating and enfuriating:
- As mentioned earlier, some moron on their phone simply isn't paying attention and "sideswipes" your car while pulling out of the parking stall next to you. He/she, slows, looks around to see if anyone saw the incident, comes the the conclusion that their crime has no witnesses and then they drive away with a smile on their face because the "got away with one". I'm not a very religious man, but I sincerely hope there is a HELL for people like this!!

- Some very poorly-trained new driver or "past their prime, near blind" very very senior driver who should not be in possession of a driver's license hit your car without even knowing it and went about their day in the same ignorant, oblivious fog that they drive in at all times. I could rant all day about driving being a privilege and not a right and the need for strict, demanding, annual driver's tests as a requirement for the privilege of driving on public streets...but I'll leave it at that.

Sorry again Bob, we all feel your pain.

Last edited by hondamore; 04-18-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
After reading Tonyware's post and having a second look at the pictures, it does look more like a shopping cart sideswipe. The lack of denting or "penetration into the door panel" suggests a much lighter instrument of destruction.

My above post stands as accurate but not applicable in this parking lot hit and run incident. The same criticism of certain members of society having an enormously selfish lack of concern for others still applies.

Last edited by hondamore; 04-18-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Drifting

I sometimes wonder if some cretins don't go out of their way to damage a nice, shiny car that they see on some parking lot, a car like Bob's that is kept very nice and is obviously more than an appliance to its owner. A few years ago some jerk left a very similar mark on the side of my otherwise flawless 2G Legend Coupe at an airport parking lot. To make it worse, there was some grit and crap on the car from winter driving - instant internal combustion powered sanding block.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:33 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by hondamore
After reading Tonyware's post and having a second look at the pictures, it does look more like a shopping cart sideswipe. The lack of denting or "penetration into the door panel" suggests a much lighter instrument of destruction.

My above post stands as accurate but not applicable in this parking lot hit and run incident. The same criticism of certain members of society having an enormously selfish lack of concern for others still applies.
I speak of personal experience with the TL years ago when I first got it. First month of ownership... boom! Supermarket shopping card went flying and left some deep scratches on the entire driver side. I can relate to how pissed off Dr. Bob is LOL. Following the advice of a friend, I left it for 5 months to let the original factory paint cure, it was brand new! Then after I took it to a shop that specializes in painless scratch removals and they did a wonderful job making the scratches disappear with some high tech chemicals and tools.

Body shops have some high tech tools and chemicals these days to adjust paint, transfer paint, etc with no sanding and re-painting the entire thing. Actually I would stay away from body shops that recommend to sand and re-paint the entire thing since they are not up to date with current technology. Also sanding and re-painting may lead to trouble ahead with rust etc... "Factory" is perfect and the more "factory" you leave things the better!
Old 04-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

The shopping cart is a nice theory but it doesn't explain the scar on the door handle, or on the lower part of the mirror. Either way, we'll never know for sure.

Just got home from work and once I'm done installing my spare tire kit (for the Hybrid, there is a bar that needs installed and I have to pull off interior pieces to do the job!), I'll run over the shallower scratches with some Quixx. That'll make me feel a little better.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:35 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
grrrrr. i've had some lovely jackhat incur damage on my TL in a parking lot years ago. a nice scrape and a softball sized dent into my rear quarter and passenger door. i was fuming! no note. close to $1k to get it all fixed.

i feel your pain. this angers me when people can't own up to their f-ups.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Sorry to see this Bob. I know exactly how you feel. When I stepped outside and took the first glance at the front of my RLX after my accident, I was soo overwhelmed in dissapointment that I had to immediately let it go and just know there was absolutely nothing I could do. I just had to focus on me being alive at that point and moving forward.

Hope you get her fixed up soon
Old 04-18-2015, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Quixx works. This is a quick ten minute job on the left side, and untreated on the right, with a bit of overpolish that I'll be correcting soon. I'll be doing a more thorough job with Quixx when I get back from my road trip in a few days.

Zoommer (04-20-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
You should see the two-foot long-and-growing crack in my windshield.
neuronbob (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Now THAT is annoying. Are you in a state or province that allows free replacement of the windshield under your automotive insurance?
Jim 2004 (04-20-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Sorry this happened to you Dr. Bob and about your windshield Jim. Posts like these makes me just want to drive a regular car like a Mazda6, Camry, Altima or Accord. No offense to people who own those cars, but what I mean is we pay such a high premium for these luxury cars and all cars are still victims of scratches, door dings, rock chips, theft, break ins, rough Winters, car wash swirl marks, etc.

But then I have to remind myself that life is too short and if a person works hard they should reward themselves with the things that brings them joy. And just by reading posts on this forum, I know how much Dr. Bob loves his Sport Hybrid.
Jim 2004 (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 03:33 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I had that happen to me a few times. The idea is to park away from everyone so that doesn't happen. It can still happen but less likely. I saw a SUV parked with kids in it, they opend the door rough slammed it into my car and didn't care. I parked to close to the place I admit on that day. I missed all these comments somehow before I posted this. I didn't see any but just the OP one. When I was 15/16 my grandfather had a really beat up truck and we were at Super One. He took the truck backed up and scratched the hell out of a new caddy. Then he pulled back up and slammed into it again scratching the entire side up. Someone was infront of him in a car but didn't get out and waved for him to stop and he didn't. He drove off and nothing ever happened on that. I won't ever forget that.

Last edited by krava; 04-20-2015 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Quixx works. This is a quick ten minute job on the left side, and untreated on the right, with a bit of overpolish that I'll be correcting soon. I'll be doing a more thorough job with Quixx when I get back from my road trip in a few days.

I have been very protective of where I park--my family laughs (more like scoffs)--but so far so good. Law of averages will catch up soon. That is why I have expel ultimate comprehensive on the car and have used Chemical Guys M-Sealer to build up layers of protection.

So sorry to hear about the scratches. Let us know how the fix works.

Cheers
Old 04-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Now THAT is annoying. Are you in a state or province that allows free replacement of the windshield under your automotive insurance?
I will need to check on the insurance; thanks for the tip, Dr. Bob. And to respond to Mr. ZDX, I like having the RLX Advance, especially since I am on the road a lot. But since I am on the road a lot, the possibility of chips, cracks, dings, scratches, etc. is greater. Catch-22, sort of.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim 2004
I will need to check on the insurance; thanks for the tip, Dr. Bob. And to respond to Mr. ZDX, I like having the RLX Advance, especially since I am on the road a lot. But since I am on the road a lot, the possibility of chips, cracks, dings, scratches, etc. is greater. Catch-22, sort of.
Jim, Which do you like more your rlx or tl 4G 6MT?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3.2cls6speedmt
Jim, Which do you like more your rlx or tl 4G 6MT?
Each was right for the times. When I bought the 4G, I wanted AWD, four doors, and 6MT, and there weren't many brands that had those in one car. I think that the S4, a couple of Subaru sedans, and the Panamera were the others. The 4G was a blast to drive, especially on road trips. I think that the 4G's NAV is easier to read and operate than the RLX's.

The RLX (mine is PAWS) is more of an executive-class car, in my opinion. Last summer, Acura had a cash-back incentive and I would be able to get a decent deal. It was kind of an opportunity, so I went for it.

The RLX feels like that there is an extra layer between the car and the road which, for that kind of automobile, is fine. I like the adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, and other features, and the generous leg room in back makes guests more comfortable. In my opinion, the RLX is better looking than the 4G, but that is my subjective take. I am glad to have owned each car.

By the way, the 4G was a trade-in and during the negotiation for the RLX, I told the salesman that the dealer would have no problem selling a 6MT 4G. I was right--the dealer sold it a couple of days after putting it on the lot.

Thanks, 3.2, for asking.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

What is the latest on this repair?
Old 04-24-2015, 04:30 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
Bob, you might want to take the car to a good detailer and have them either wet sand or heavy buff the damaged areas before taking to a body shop. Perhaps you can avoid painting.

I can only imagine your grief!

Ed
Old 05-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
What is the latest on this repair?
I haven't taken it to a professional yet. I finally had some time today to treat more of the involved area with the two-step Quixx treatment. I was able to take the scratches from what you see above to passing the two-foot test. You simply can't see most of the scratches unless you look closely now. The door handle and the side mirror have deep scrapes that will take a professional to correct, though. There is an additional deep scratch on the front fender from the same incident that will require professional attention. Even so, I did what I could and then applied a layer of Zaino.

I think you'll see I've done quite a job in mitigating the surface scratches now.

hondamore (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 09:49 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

^if that neuron career doesn't work out, well, you have some detailing talents

Good job. My philosophy... unless serious damage - knock on wood - I don't bother with scratches and dents and let them accumulate (oh yes they will). Then take it to a shop.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tonyware
^if that neuron career doesn't work out, well, you have some detailing talents

Good job. My philosophy... unless serious damage - knock on wood - I don't bother with scratches and dents and let them accumulate (oh yes they will). Then take it to a shop.
OCD, my good man, OCD. It helps me on the job and keeps me out of trouble. It is the bane of my existence when it comes to black cars, however. I just couldn't stand to see it.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Drifting

^^ I hear you, I hear you!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
OCD, my good man, OCD. It helps me on the job and keeps me out of trouble. It is the bane of my existence when it comes to black cars, however. I just couldn't stand to see it.
CDO - it is like OCD but the letters are in the correct order, as they should be.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Another update....at my oil change today, I asked the dealer's detail guys to see about buffing out the remainder of the scratches on the passenger side of the car. They succeeded in buffing out almost everything, yay!

I usually don't ask the detailers at a dealer to touch my car, but I am tired of looking at that battle scar. They offered to do it at no additional cost to me. I was planning on getting a paint correction done after next winter anyway (yes, on a leased car, but I LIKE this car), so I figured, what the hell? Might as well give it a try and if they screw up, I was planning on a paint correction anyway. They did a pretty decent job and at lease turn-in, it'll be at least documented that the dealer did the service. Still not 100% like new, but it now passes the one foot test, which is better than I was able to do with Quixx. It almost passes the six-inch test.

All that's left to address now is the door handle and the deep scratches on the side view mirror. I'll have those done at a body shop. Those likely won't cost me very much.