first buyer...

Old 03-31-2013, 07:11 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
first buyer...

owner of the RLX? where are the buyers? i would like the read how much they paid and are they previous RL owners or new to Acura??
Old 04-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I guess no on this board is brave enough to go buy one yet?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Why don't YOU be the first? If you have read the pos,t a like of folks are waiting for AWD.
If I was considering buying one, no way I'm going to buy this early. I am one that thinks the car is not going to sell well, and the price will drop like a rock. This is what happened to the 2g RL. Imagining, you paid sticker and then find out later the price dropped 10K. Unless the car is exceptional and hard to get, I will never be first, and this car is NOT exceptional by no means. At lest the paws version isn't.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I have to agree with dwest1023. I am waiting for the AWD version to arrive (it is a must in Western Canada) AND I am planning on waiting for a while (perhaps 6 months or as long as 1 year) after its arrival to make my purchase. I am right in the heart of the Acura target market for the RLX (retired dentist, mid-50's, long-time loyal Honda/Acura buyer, current 2G RL driver) and yet I still plan on waiting to upgrade to the RLX for a couple of reasons. Obviouisly, dealers will be more willing to deal on price after the initial clamor for the new hybrid technology has passed. Secondly, I was burned by purchasing the '05 RL only to sit and watch the '06 version get a few nice features (rear view camera for instance) that were noticeably absent in my '05. I found this tactic by Acura (relying on the demand for the new SH-AWD technology to sell the '05 then sweeting the pot with other extras in the '06 model - extras that could not be added to the '05) to be offensive. Up in Canada, the '05 RL with tax and optional wheels and tires (and a few other accessories) ran close to $80,000 and should have included the rear view camera. Making it standard in the '06 RL without the option to add it to the '05 was insulting and a big reason why I will likely wait for the '15 RLX before pulling the trigger on my purchase. Fortunately, I still love driving my rear-view camera-less '05 RL and don't mind the wait. Just my two cents on my reasons for waiting on the RLX.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 02:53 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
... I still love driving my rear-view camera-less '05 RL and don't mind the wait.
this line made me chuckle.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
this line made me chuckle.
Yeah, sorry about the rambling/babbling nature of my post - I was eating lunch and keeping up on potential NHL hockey trades as I typed it.

The point I was trying to make was that I'm likely to purchase an RLX but I'm going to wait until I can get a price that doesn't make me feel like "the new guy in prison" and I may even wait to get the "2nd model year extras".
Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
There is one actual owner who posted here over the weekend, but he/she hasn't come back yet to post in the owner's thread.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023
Why don't YOU be the first? If you have read the pos,t a like of folks are waiting for AWD.
If I was considering buying one, no way I'm going to buy this early. I am one that thinks the car is not going to sell well, and the price will drop like a rock. This is what happened to the 2g RL. Imagining, you paid sticker and then find out later the price dropped 10K. Unless the car is exceptional and hard to get, I will never be first, and this car is NOT exceptional by no means. At lest the paws version isn't.
I would be the first in line if this car excites me! But this car doesn't even stir a single nerve in my body!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by silver3.5
I would be the first in line if this car excites me! But this car doesn't even stir a single nerve in my body!

I know the feeling well. The 2g RL was a fabulous car. So much so I traded my 06(another great car) TL for my 06 RL. I loved Acura for the Tech, styling, and performance. With all that, I got reliablity as well. I was really hoping the RLX was going to be a home run for me. My only hope now is the TLX, whenever it comes. I really do not want to change brands, but it might come to that.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
I have to agree with dwest1023. I am waiting for the AWD version to arrive (it is a must in Western Canada) AND I am planning on waiting for a while (perhaps 6 months or as long as 1 year) after its arrival to make my purchase. I am right in the heart of the Acura target market for the RLX (retired dentist, mid-50's, long-time loyal Honda/Acura buyer, current 2G RL driver) and yet I still plan on waiting to upgrade to the RLX for a couple of reasons. Obviouisly, dealers will be more willing to deal on price after the initial clamor for the new hybrid technology has passed. Secondly, I was burned by purchasing the '05 RL only to sit and watch the '06 version get a few nice features (rear view camera for instance) that were noticeably absent in my '05. I found this tactic by Acura (relying on the demand for the new SH-AWD technology to sell the '05 then sweeting the pot with other extras in the '06 model - extras that could not be added to the '05) to be offensive. Up in Canada, the '05 RL with tax and optional wheels and tires (and a few other accessories) ran close to $80,000 and should have included the rear view camera. Making it standard in the '06 RL without the option to add it to the '05 was insulting and a big reason why I will likely wait for the '15 RLX before pulling the trigger on my purchase. Fortunately, I still love driving my rear-view camera-less '05 RL and don't mind the wait. Just my two cents on my reasons for waiting on the RLX.
The rear view camera was not standard in '06. Mine did not have it.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by silver3.5
My sentiments exactly.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM

I know the feeling well. The 2g RL was a fabulous car. So much so I traded my 06(another great car) TL for my 06 RL. I loved Acura for the Tech, styling, and performance. With all that, I got reliablity as well. I was really hoping the RLX was going to be a home run for me. My only hope now is the TLX, whenever it comes. I really do not want to change brands, but it might come to that.
That was me too. I knew I had to have that car when I first saw it.

On a different note, I am getting a flashback this week to my first Acura ('93 Vigor).

My brother had a '92 that he gave to my parents years ago. My mom (dad passed away a while ago) keeps it at her condo in Naples FL. We are staying here for the week and I am driving it around. Brings back memories, but it is amazing how the cars have evolved over the years.

She still runs strong though.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mine finally arrived from the factory today but I can't pick it up until tomorrow afternoon because of my schedule. Totally stoked. Tomorrow can't get here fast enough.

Black-on-Black Advanced
Old 04-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I am guessing the typical FWD RLX owner is not going to be the typical enthusiast found on this board, but maybe when the AWD hits that may change. Also the car has only been out 2 weeks and most dealers have a handful if that.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GoHawks
The rear view camera was not standard in '06. Mine did not have it.
Sorry, I should have made it clear that I was discussing the Canadian models. The Canadian '06 RL added rear view camera, CMBS and Adaptive Cruise Control (they were optional as the tech package in the USA).
Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KeithL
I am guessing the typical FWD RLX owner is not going to be the typical enthusiast found on this board, but maybe when the AWD hits that may change. Also the car has only been out 2 weeks and most dealers have a handful if that.
Bingo!

They will come....

Congrats, Thrillington. Obviously the car moves you. Don't forget to post your info in the owner's thread when you finally pick it up.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought my RLX with tech package on 3/16. I think they were made available for sale on 3/15. I've owned a 2007 and 2010 RL that were both techs as well. So far so good for the most part. Nice quiet ride. Much better gas mileage. Only gripe so far is that AcuraLink is still broken. I never cared that it didn't work on my other Acuras (both RLs, 2010 ZDX, 2011 TL, 2012 MDX) but now that it is integrated into the Nav Traffic etc. it is very disappointing. Also, in order to use some of the advanced features (phone app etc) you have to buy a subscription. I did, and it still doesn't work two weeks later. I probably could have bought a Buick for much less with technology that actually worked. I guess that is what I get for being an early adopter.

Last edited by NWRL; 04-02-2013 at 11:43 AM.
miner (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Acuralink is STILL busted?

Jeebus. I simply ignored it in my RL.

BTW, congrats on the RLX.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by NWRL
I bought my RLX with tech package on 3/16. I think they were made available for sale on 3/15. I've owned a 2007 and 2010 RL that were both techs as well. So far so good for the most part. Nice quiet ride. Much better gas mileage. Only gripe so far is that AcuraLink is still broken. I never cared that it didn't work on my other Acuras (both RLs, 2010 ZDX, 2011 TL, 2012 MDX) but now that it is integrated into the Nav Traffic etc. it is very disappointing. Also, in order to use some of the advanced features (phone app etc) you have to buy a subscription. I did, and it still doesn't work two weeks later. I probably could have bought a Buick for much less with technology that actually worked. I guess that is what I get for being an early adopter.
Yes, congratulations on your RLX. I am still ont he fence. I hate to admit it but I test drove a Hyudai Equus - I was quite pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

I do not think Acuralink is busted. It requires your phone to be set up as a hotspot. With AT@T this requires additional fees. Before, you could have traffic and weather with XM for 7 bucks a month. Now, you are telling me if I buy an RLX and probably TLX I will have to pay to have my phone as a hotspot

No dual exhaust and now this. Wonderful!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
It requires your phone to be set up as a hotspot. With AT@T this requires additional fees.
I believe this information is inaccurate. However, let me preface this by saying I have not used this in person so far. Simply put, Acura has not figured out a way to activate this system on dealership demonstrator cars.

As I understand it, all RLX with Technology package (and up) have their own built in cellular data connection. The cost of this basic connection is included in the Standard Package for three years. This includes traffic details.

If you add a compatible smart phone with a Bluetooth connection, you get additional functionality such as better integration with Pandora, and Aha Internet radio.

Upgrading to the Connect Package adds additional features, as does the Premium Package. As noted, these are additional AcuraLink things that the customer pays for.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually it is my understanding that there is a dedicated cellular connection built into the car for AcuraLink now. I guess more like On-Star. There are Link and Assist buttons by the rearview mirror. You get three years free of the basic service which includes traffic. Hopefully, that means I can drop the traffic portion from my XM subscription but I'm not sure yet because I think it still utilizes XM to some extent according to the website. The connect and premium packages cost extra. The connect package allows you to use your smart phone to locate your car, unlock it etc. and the premium package adds concierge service. I had to figure this all out on my own since there was nothing that came with the car explaining this and the AcuraLink section of myacura.com is not up to speed. The dealer has to do the initial set up of the account when you buy the car and you have to call an 800 number to make changes to your account/subscription. This process was way more painful that it should have been. I love the car so far except this part of the experience has been very poorly executed.

Last edited by NWRL; 04-02-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Hopefully, that means I can drop the traffic portion from my XM subscription but I'm not sure yet because it still utilizes XM to some extent I think. The connect and premium packages cost extra. .
This is correct (as I understand it) there is no longer traffic data coming via the XM satellite radio signal, so there is no longer a need for XM Nav traffic. This should bode well for us because we do not receive XM signals here in Hawaii.

The dealer has to do the initial set up of the account when you buy the car and you have to call an 800 number to make changes to your account/subscription. This process was way more painful that it should have been. I love the car so far except this part of the experience has been very poorly executed.
Yes, I had difficulty enrolling my customer in the new system. To save time, I had pre-entered their information and waited at the following screen until our paperwork was done. However, the system decided that it needed to "protect me" and it timed out the session. No matter what I did I was unable to get back into the enrollment screen. Re-inputting their information did not help, clearing the cache did not help. It was unavailable to me until the next day. (After the customer had left of course)
Old 04-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Colin - got to admire you for participating in this forum. Not sure what your position is at the Dealer, but I don't think the sales people at my Dealer even read the Acura press releases let alone anything else about the cars.
neuronbob (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
Yes, congratulations on your RLX. I am still ont he fence. I hate to admit it but I test drove a Hyudai Equus - I was quite pleasantly surprised.
They just showed the improvements for the 14 Equus, and it is progressing nicely. I think the 2G Equus will be a real nice car. The 14 Genesis should be real sweet as well.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by getakey
Colin - got to admire you for participating in this forum. Not sure what your position is at the Dealer, but I don't think the sales people at my Dealer even read the Acura press releases let alone anything else about the cars.
...and when he figures it out it will end up as a video on his blog, I'm sure. Waiting for his thorough video explaining RLX features *hint* .
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ I second that! It is nice to have a valuable contributor to this forum, and also, one that has a dealer angle and able to relay some of our concerns through Acura. Thanks Colin...
Old 04-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by getakey
Ha ha, well, participating in automotive forums is nothing new for me. I believe I signed up for my first forum on a 9600 baud modem through CompuServe. Believe me, it was so much better when I finally got a 14.4k baud modem LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Picked up my Black-on-Black Advanced this evening. Love the car but, like others above, am having issues with Acuralink. I bought the Connect level, the Acuralink web site says that my car has the Premium level, the car itself says that it has the Standard level so some things don't work. Acuralink service desk is closed for the evening and I'm flying out for a couple of weeks on a project. So my new baby will sit in the garage until my return. Talk about bad timing.

Acura really needs to get their act together on their web services. Too many different sites with different authentication requirements. They keep forcing new IDs down your throat rather than giving you one simplified account. I'm on my 6th Acura and I have at least as many IDs in their various systems.

Absolutely love the car though. Can't wait to get back and hit the road for a little weekend fun.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrillington
Picked up my Black-on-Black Advanced this evening. Love the car but, like others above, am having issues with Acuralink. I bought the Connect level, the Acuralink web site says that my car has the Premium level, the car itself says that it has the Standard level so some things don't work. Acuralink service desk is closed for the evening and I'm flying out for a couple of weeks on a project. So my new baby will sit in the garage until my return. Talk about bad timing.

Acura really needs to get their act together on their web services. Too many different sites with different authentication requirements. They keep forcing new IDs down your throat rather than giving you one simplified account. I'm on my 6th Acura and I have at least as many IDs in their various systems.

Absolutely love the car though. Can't wait to get back and hit the road for a little weekend fun.
Congrats!!! Please do share some photos when you can! :-)

Regarding Acuralink, when I read the Acura press release somewhere before, I think that they offer you Premium service at no charge for a year, if I remember correctly. So perhaps that's why you have Premium listed on the website???