AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX (2013+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/)
-   -   First 1,000 mile review (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/first-1-000-mile-review-977367/)

ThatGuy2018 02-21-2019 12:59 PM

First 1,000 mile review

So I have put my 1st thousand miles on my 2014 Acura RLX Tech Package P-AWS. Before buying I scouted the vehicle for roughly 90 days and checked out everything and all the TSB's. Special thanks to the people on here that post regularly and keep the rest of us informed.

1st I can totally understand and justify what people were complaining about who bought the car brand new ($50K or more). For the sticker price new and what else you could have bought for the cost the RLX is lacking in the "WOW" factor. I personally never liked the "WOW" factor from the factory. Sorry but in my opinion people who buy those "spaceship" looking Lexus & Infiniti's lack personal imagination. If you want "WOW" there are plenty of things you can do to separate your car from the next.

2nd the ride! I get it now. The ride is rough. This car should have never came stock on 19's. I think even 18's might be a stretch. You feel EVERY bump in the road and there is nothing you can do about it. I swear I am going to get pulled over for drunk driving because I am all over the road trying to dodge potholes. Lucky I am from the fast & furious (1st movie) generation and we ruined our ricers with over sized rims and slammed to the ground rubbing. So I am used to rough rides and missing potholes.

3rd driving in snow this thing SUCKS to get it moving. Cornering, braking and just driving is no issue. The issue is getting this pig to move. With the 19" wheels there is NO BITE in the tire. Next year if I I get rid of my winter beater (2003 Acura RL) I will be buying some 16" wheels and snow tires. Not playing this get stuck game ever again!

4th if buying used they are a STEAL & BARGIN. For the price I paid I am sure I could not have got a new vehicle even close to this car. Plus you are getting Honda reliability.

5th I have had it less than a month and the very little customizing I have done every time I get gas someone ALWAYS ask me what this car is. In Wisconsin Acura isn't a very popular brand to start and when they do see a Acura it is typically an SUV. They at 1st think it is an expensive Audi. I have literally had a person ask me how I can afford to pay $100k for a vehicle (This was the guy who thought it was an Audi). I smile and nod and say I don't like to get into figures and such. I think they would die if I they knew I paid $16k for it.

Again a SPECIAL thanks to everyone on this board. Everyone here took a lot of the worry out of buying an RLX and I thank you for it. More pictures to come of the final stages of customizing to come. Once we get rid of this snow in WI.

4cruizn 02-21-2019 01:43 PM

Great feedback. Totally agree on this car being underappreciated and undervalued. My mom picked up a 2016 Tech with only 21,000 miles for essentially half its original MSRP earlier this week. So much car for the money.

K.Rock 02-22-2019 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by ThatGuy2018 (Post 16386694)
3rd driving in snow this thing SUCKS to get it moving. Cornering, braking and just driving is no issue. The issue is getting this pig to move. With the 19" wheels there is NO BITE in the tire. Next year if I I get rid of my winter beater (2003 Acura RL) I will be buying some 16" wheels and snow tires. Not playing this get stuck game ever again!

Get the SH-AWD and getting stuck in the snow will be a thing of the past. Aside from ride height, I’m truly surprised in all the driving tech in how it gets you moving even when you floor it or straightens out when you flick it into a snowy curve.

I feel this is more and easier to drive in the snow than my wife’s 12 Pilot (AWD).

neuronbob 02-26-2019 08:54 PM

I don't think 16's will fit. PAWS owners have had success with winter tires on 18's.