Class Action Notice

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Class Action Notice

Yesterday I received this notification informing me of the following... I have been given until January 8 to enroll..anyone else receive this notice ? I was under the impression the RLX was not effected..

Honda's records indicate that you may be a Class Member.

A $605 million Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit alleging that Honda Motor Co., Ltd., American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Honda R&D Co., Ltd., Honda of America Mfg., Inc., and their affiliates (collectively, "Honda") manufactured and sold vehicles that contained allegedly defective airbags made by Takata Corporation and iis affiliates ("Takata"). Honda denies the allegations in the lawsuit, and the Court has not decided who is right. The $605 million Settlement Amount, less a 20% credit for the Enhanced Rental Carlloaner Program, will be funded over time and will be used for all relief and associated costs, as further discussed in the Settlement Agreement. The purpose of this notice is to inform you of the class action and the proposed settlement so that you may decide what to do. Who's Included?

Honda's records indicate that you may be a Class Member. The Settlement offers potential payments and other benefits to current and former owners and lessees of certain Honda or Acura vehicles that have or had Takata airbags, which are, may or will be subject to a Recall ("Subject Vehicles"). A complete list of Subject Vehicles currently included in

What Are the Settlement Terms? The Settlement offers several benefits, including reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses related to the Takata airbag recall, an Enhanced Rental Carlloaner Program for owners or lessees of certain Subject Vehicles, an Outreach Program to maximize completion of the recall -remedy, additional payments to Class Members from residual Settlement funds, if any remain, up to a maximum of $500, and a Customer Support Program to provide warranty "fore iage for inflators ifrepairs are necessary. For further details about the Settlement, including the relief, eligibility, and release of claims, you can review the Settlement Agreement at the website,

www.AutoAirbagSettlement.com.

How Can t Get a Payment? You must file a Claim to receive a payment during the first four years of the Settlement. Visit the website and file a Claim online or you can download one and file by mail. The deadline to file a Claim will depend on the recall or repair date of your Subject Vehicle and will be at least one ye,[ from the date the Settlement is finalized. All deadlines will be posted on the website when they are known. Your Other Options. If you do not want to be legally bound by the Settlement, you must exclude yourself by January 8, 2018. If you do not exclude yourself, you will release any claims you may have against Honda and the Released Parties and be eligible to receive certain settlement benefits, as more fully described in the Settlement Agreement availablle at the Settlement Website.

You may object to the Settlement by January 8, 2018. You cannot both exclude yourself from, and object to, th; Settlement. The Long Form Notice available on the website listed below explains how to exclude yourself or object. The Court will hold a hearing on February 7,2018 to consider whether to finally approve the Settlement and a request for attorneys' fees of up to 3O% of the Settlement Amount and award of $5,000 to each of the Class Representatives. You may appear at the hearing, either yourself or through an attomey hired by you, but you don't have to. For more information, call or visit the website below.

Last edited by Philisophe; 12-10-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Advanced

I communicated with my Acura dealer and was informed of the following..which may be of assistance to others..
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

I asked how and why I received the notice ..the service manager stated that there have been a number of individuals that have paid for rental reimbursement out of there own pocket and have complained..And most likely this notice was a mass mailing to all Honda/Acura owners.

Also many times they do a large mailing in anticipation of a recall.

There is no "current" recall on failing airbags on the 17 RLX..However there are "17 Manufacture Communications" for 2016/17 Acura RLX on NHTSA's Web site..

The law now requires manufacturers to submit to NHTSA copies of their communications to dealers, owners, or purchasers about a defect or noncompliance and requires that such communications "shall be accompanied by an index to each communication." 49 U.S.C. 30166(f).

Many of these are complaints and some appear to be repeated issues..

I have a number of the complaint issues and will have them addressed at the next service.

I then asked as to why when I bring in my vehicle for service..there is no attempt to notify me of these issues ..

and was informed that they have an agreement with Honda that they do not have to notify me

.And to be clear ..I have to inform them of a "noted" issue and they will review it.. He confirmed and said they only have to notify me of a safety recall based on my VIN

Education 101
The following users liked this post:
moose66 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
My notification arrived today. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I also received the recall info in the mail yesterday as well. and sorting through the info I plugged my VIN into the NTS website and it resulted in a message my car was not a part of the action/impacted population ( I have a 2014 PAWS Advance trim model). I have asked many times when I have brought my car in for service/ oil changes as to whether my car was in the TAKATA recall class and was told 2014 RLX's were not in the impacted population. I have a call in to my service advisor to get his "take" on this mass mailing and will report back here once I hear from him. The note does read a bit like a "mass mailing" to all Honda customers with any record of owning a Honda car during the impact period. Demosan
Old 12-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Advanced

Will be interested in the reply to your request..

I do not believe the airbags are an issue at this point in time...

I called the dealer and asked about the other "manufactures" issues..and the response I received was poorly handled..
Old 12-13-2017, 07:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Dealer checked my '14 RLX, '15 TLX and '17 RLX SH - no recall yet.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:34 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
I received two of these postcards last week, one for my wife's '14 TL, which had a Takata inflator replacement, and one for my '14 RLX SH-AWD, which has not. My dealer said everyone is calling them with the same question, but confirmed that there is no Takata recall on the '14 SH-AWD.
Malibu Flyer (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
Our 2014 RDX had a Takata airbag. Honda notified us, but in parallel we’d already determined it had the faulty airbag. The propellant gas generator that inflates the airbag (when deployed) on affected models was deflagrating (burning) too rapidly ... almost explosively, creating dangerous shrapnel from the airbag and steering wheel components. Honda asked us to stop driving it while they engaged their supply chain to catch up to the demand for replacement airbags. They rented us a brand new Toyota Camry for four months while we waited. Overall I was very pleased with the way Honda and our local Acura dealer handled the situation.

My 2010 MDX does not have the Takata airbag issue. Neaither do all of our RLXs. Said again >> this issue does not impact any RLXs to the best of my understanding.

I believe that a LOT of other manufacturers are impacted as well, and have not been proactive like Honda at repairing their affected models. However, I also believe from the homework I did that Honda’s cars were experiencing bad airbag deployments more frequently than other vehicles. My recollection is that there have been about a dozen explosive airbag deployments in Honda vehicles with several resulting fatalities. It’s worth noting that these airbags probably saved a lot of lives too, since most deployed without problems. There is plenty of credible reporting out there if you want to learn more info. But I think Honda and Acura handled (are handling) this difficult situation as well as possible.
moose66 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Philisophe
Will be interested in the reply to your request..

I do not believe the airbags are an issue at this point in time...

I called the dealer and asked about the other "manufactures" issues..and the response I received was poorly handled..
Got a phone response from my service advisor that confirmed that my 2014 PAWS Advance trim is not impacted by the TAKATA airbag issue consistent with what others have also stated in this posting. I still have a concern however as many of the 2014 other Honda models seemed impacted? On the other hand, all of the 2014 RLX model of any configuration were all produced in the Sayama Japan plant so perhaps that is the reason we are not impacted? Demosan
Philisophe (12-15-2017)