Brand New 2016 RLX Hybrid First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey all,

Just picked up my 2016 RLX SH-AWD yesterday -- probably the first one in Ohio. The employees at the Cleveland dealership all treated it like a Big Foot sighting...they all wanted to see the car for themselves to make sure that the darn thing actually exists.

A little background…been driving an Infiniti M56x for four years (it replaced my ’05 RL). I loved the M56 for about six months (during the summer), but when it started getting cold, the engine became really loud. No matter how lightly I tried to drive it, it sounded like a 70s muscle car…even at 15 MPH in the neighborhood. I hated driving it six months out of the year. And the AWD was never as fun as my RL, especially around corners & curves.

I heard about the new RLX in late 2012 (during my second tortuous winter with the M56) and decided that I would give Acura another shot. I drove the first RLX PAWS that came into the dealership (March of ’03) and immediately liked it better than the Audi and Lexus contenders. So I decided to wait…and wait…and wait. I also considered the Tesla and the BMW 7, but both had drawbacks that I couldn’t get over. As for Mercedes, I could never get over that awful instrument panel. Even their S-class is a confounding disappointment.

So while it took over two years to get it, my “no-compromises, fully loaded” RLX arrived this week. I’m heading out of vacation in a couple of days, but I wanted to share my quick, first impressions. Please keep in mind that these are first impressions…there’s a lot about this car that I haven’t explored.

1. This car, as others have noted, is REALLY QUIET! This is like the anti-Infiniti-M56. You could hear a mouse fart while cruising at 70 MPH. And more importantly, it is very quiet around town as well.

2. The Krell audio system is spectacular. I gave up my own rock ’n roll dreams 20 years ago, but I can still appreciate a great sound system. This one is superb. It is almost a shame that I spend more time listening to audiobooks in the car than I do music.

3. The car is deceptively fast. It just doesn’t feel like it is accelerating as much as it is.

4. The controls aren't as bad I had feared. Reading around the internet, you get the feeling that Acura had hired a bunch of incompetent Mercedes engineers to design their dash. Not true. The RLX is fine -- there’s a bit of a learning curve, but not bad at all. In fact, it is kind of nice. Thankfully, there are still buttons for the most important controls. So far, I’ll take it over my Infiniti…and I liked my Infiniti instrument panel a lot.

5. The HUD display on the hybrid is both silly and super cool. It is hard not to smile at having the picture of the drive train on the left and my speed on the right. It is like a subtle reminder that you are seated in an advanced cockpit.

6. The remote starter works well and has nice range—after you read the directions. You have to hit the lock button, then start the engine (which is a really nice feature because it makes it much harder to accidentally hit the starter when you lean your pocket up against a counter). This and the heated steering wheel are the two reasons I’m glad I waited for the 2016.

Any drawbacks?

If I have any concerns, it is with the regenerative braking, which I understand it prevalent in all hybrids. It takes a little getting used to in order to drive (or stop, rather) smoothly. I've only driven 50 miles, but I’ve noticed that I will have to change my driving style a bit, especially around town. I have to tap the brake much lighter than I’m used to because it engages much sooner than a normal brake. Also, I'm now trying to stop a few extra feet behind the car in front of me and coast the last bit around 1-3 MPH in order to avoid that last little bite of the brake upon final stop. I hope this will become second nature within the first few hundred miles. I’ve already noticed an improvement during day two. But for now, it does require some conscious attention.

Oh — and yes, the trunk is a bit small. But my Acura isn’t for long family trips…which is why my wife has a fully loaded Toyota Sienna Limited (the Lexus of mini-vans…seriously).

Finally, this car is truly a worthy flagship vehicle. Perhaps it is not as over-the-top elegant as the $100k+ LS or S-class, but price-wise, this car is a steal. While I thought (as many others did) that the MSRP of the PAWS was a bit high given the front-wheel drive and the ~6 second 0-60, the hybrid is in a class by itself. I firmly believe that I walked away with at least an $80k car for mid-60s. While I’m fortunate to have been able to consider everything from S-Classes, 7-series, Audi 8’s, and even the Tesla (the range-anxiety would drive me nuts), I chose this car. And so far (granted, it has only been a day), I feel really good about that choice. If Acura ever solves their production and marketing challenges (I’m being overly generous with the word “challenge”), there’s no reason this car couldn’t be a massive hit. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy being an outlier.

A special thank you to all of those in this forum who helped me keep my interest in Acura during that long, grueling wait.
The following 14 users liked this post by anakin44011:
2011TL (07-17-2015), a35tl (07-18-2015), acuranj18 (07-26-2015), fsmith (07-17-2015), HeartTLs (07-17-2015), hondamore (07-17-2015), Malibu Flyer (07-18-2015), miner (09-09-2015), pgeorg (07-17-2015), Texas325 (07-17-2015), Tonyware (09-10-2015), TSX69 (07-17-2015), victorber (07-29-2015), wstr75 (07-17-2015) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-17-2015, 09:36 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Congratulations!

What he said.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by anakin44011
Hey all,

Just picked up my 2016 RLX SH-AWD yesterday -- probably the first one in Ohio. The employees at the Cleveland dealership all treated it like a Big Foot sighting...they all wanted to see the car for themselves to make sure that the darn thing actually exists.

A little background…been driving an Infiniti M56x for four years (it replaced my ’05 RL). I loved the M56 for about six months (during the summer), but when it started getting cold, the engine became really loud. No matter how lightly I tried to drive it, it sounded like a 70s muscle car…even at 15 MPH in the neighborhood. I hated driving it six months out of the year. And the AWD was never as fun as my RL, especially around corners & curves.

I heard about the new RLX in late 2012 (during my second tortuous winter with the M56) and decided that I would give Acura another shot. I drove the first RLX PAWS that came into the dealership (March of ’03) and immediately liked it better than the Audi and Lexus contenders. So I decided to wait…and wait…and wait. I also considered the Tesla and the BMW 7, but both had drawbacks that I couldn’t get over. As for Mercedes, I could never get over that awful instrument panel. Even their S-class is a confounding disappointment.

So while it took over two years to get it, my “no-compromises, fully loaded” RLX arrived this week. I’m heading out of vacation in a couple of days, but I wanted to share my quick, first impressions. Please keep in mind that these are first impressions…there’s a lot about this car that I haven’t explored.

1. This car, as others have noted, is REALLY QUIET! This is like the anti-Infiniti-M56. You could hear a mouse fart while cruising at 70 MPH. And more importantly, it is very quiet around town as well.

2. The Krell audio system is spectacular. I gave up my own rock ’n roll dreams 20 years ago, but I can still appreciate a great sound system. This one is superb. It is almost a shame that I spend more time listening to audiobooks in the car than I do music.

3. The car is deceptively fast. It just doesn’t feel like it is accelerating as much as it is.

4. The controls aren't as bad I had feared. Reading around the internet, you get the feeling that Acura had hired a bunch of incompetent Mercedes engineers to design their dash. Not true. The RLX is fine -- there’s a bit of a learning curve, but not bad at all. In fact, it is kind of nice. Thankfully, there are still buttons for the most important controls. So far, I’ll take it over my Infiniti…and I liked my Infiniti instrument panel a lot.

5. The HUD display on the hybrid is both silly and super cool. It is hard not to smile at having the picture of the drive train on the left and my speed on the right. It is like a subtle reminder that you are seated in an advanced cockpit.

6. The remote starter works well and has nice range—after you read the directions. You have to hit the lock button, then start the engine (which is a really nice feature because it makes it much harder to accidentally hit the starter when you lean your pocket up against a counter). This and the heated steering wheel are the two reasons I’m glad I waited for the 2016.

Any drawbacks?

If I have any concerns, it is with the regenerative braking, which I understand it prevalent in all hybrids. It takes a little getting used to in order to drive (or stop, rather) smoothly. I've only driven 50 miles, but I’ve noticed that I will have to change my driving style a bit, especially around town. I have to tap the brake much lighter than I’m used to because it engages much sooner than a normal brake. Also, I'm now trying to stop a few extra feet behind the car in front of me and coast the last bit around 1-3 MPH in order to avoid that last little bite of the brake upon final stop. I hope this will become second nature within the first few hundred miles. I’ve already noticed an improvement during day two. But for now, it does require some conscious attention.

Oh — and yes, the trunk is a bit small. But my Acura isn’t for long family trips…which is why my wife has a fully loaded Toyota Sienna Limited (the Lexus of mini-vans…seriously).

Finally, this car is truly a worthy flagship vehicle. Perhaps it is not as over-the-top elegant as the $100k+ LS or S-class, but price-wise, this car is a steal. While I thought (as many others did) that the MSRP of the PAWS was a bit high given the front-wheel drive and the ~6 second 0-60, the hybrid is in a class by itself. I firmly believe that I walked away with at least an $80k car for mid-60s. While I’m fortunate to have been able to consider everything from S-Classes, 7-series, Audi 8’s, and even the Tesla (the range-anxiety would drive me nuts), I chose this car. And so far (granted, it has only been a day), I feel really good about that choice. If Acura ever solves their production and marketing challenges (I’m being overly generous with the word “challenge”), there’s no reason this car couldn’t be a massive hit. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy being an outlier.

A special thank you to all of those in this forum who helped me keep my interest in Acura during that long, grueling wait.
If you don't mind me asking, when did you order it?
Old 07-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Congratulations!

As a proud owner of the P-AWS version of the RLX, I must admit that reading the excitement you Sport Hybrid owners are expressing does make me wish I had been a bit more patient.

Enjoy! By the way, will you be posting some pics?
Old 07-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by woropallo
If you don't mind me asking, when did you order it?
May 3rd. I had placed an order for the PAWS on May 1st (which had to be transferred from another dealership) after I had read the FaceBook post from Acura that "there is no hybrid". I had finally concluded that the car was being axed. Then they announced the 2016 hybrid on May 2nd and I immediately got on the phone and pulled every string I had to get one. I never found out what they did with the PAWS that I ordered.

Officially, I never "ordered" it. I committed to purchasing it and then the sales manager had to work with the district manager to find out whether the color/package combo that I wanted was available with each shipment. But I was told that they were only delivering cars that were 'sold'.

I was told there was nothing in the late June shipment for me but there was a possibility for the August shipment...which must have come early because that's what I got. I might have been able to get one a few weeks earlier if I was willing to be flexible on color. But I just can't drive a dark car in Ohio -- they are stunningly beautiful when you can keep them clean, but I just can't do it during the long winters.
The following users liked this post:
woropallo (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by anakin44011
If I have any concerns, it is with the regenerative braking, which I understand it prevalent in all hybrids. It takes a little getting used to in order to drive (or stop, rather) smoothly. I've only driven 50 miles, but I’ve noticed that I will have to change my driving style a bit, especially around town. I have to tap the brake much lighter than I’m used to because it engages much sooner than a normal brake.
It's funny you mention that, because they're proud of how much better the brakes are than they were on the preproduction cars, and how much better the brakes are than other hybrids.

If it helps at all with the perspective, people who drive on the track struggle all their lives to get their brake pedals to have that firm, pre-charged feel that we have with the Sport Hybrid. It's one good thing that carried over to the NSX Sport Hybrid, too. :-)

Congratulations on nabbing one of the few available, and I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us seem to enjoy it!
Old 07-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Congratulations anakin44011.

It seems you've already discovered the RLX Sport Hybrid's split personality - Ultra smooth, ultra quiet cruiser that transforms into a wolf in sheep's clothing when the accelerator is pressed. Be sure to try the Sport mode, select 1st gear then hit the accelerator starts if you get the chance - I bet you can't do it without smiling.

Enjoy!!
Old 07-17-2015, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Congrats anakin 44011! I wish you many happy, healthy and fun miles!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I'd invite you to Cars and Coffee (Independence) tomorrow for a RLX Sport Hybrid sub-meet, but my car is going to the dealer tomorrow for first oil change and CMBS recall. We should get together--I'm interested in seeing a 2016 and comparing with my 2014.

Congrats from Cavstown!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Congratulations, anakin44011. Welcome to the beta-club (though perhaps as a 2016 owner you are out of beta?). Glad you got the color and trim you wanted. If you are like the rest of us beta testers, you will continue to smile every time you drive it. BTW, I felt the same way about the brakes (and had read about the grabby brakes in the pre-production lot) but it takes only a week or so to get completely used to it. Jealous about your heated steering wheel. Enjoy the car!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by fsmith
Jealous about your heated steering wheel.
I'm jealous of all those cameras pointed all over the place.

:-)

I'm not the very best parker any longer.
fsmith (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 08:16 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I'm interested in seeing a 2016 and comparing with my 2014.
Translation: He will stalk you, drug you and then steal your car.

You have been warned.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Damn! Cover blown, cover blown! Pulling out!
Old 07-18-2015, 01:57 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats. I to am jealous of some of the. new features-- both the cameras and what maybe a somewhat improved infotainment hardware and software.

Be sure to sign in on the sign in page.

One of my favorite features which seems under appreciated is the Brake Hold button. It is great at stop lights or on hills that you have to stop on. Be sure to give it a try when you have some time to play with of all the goodies that are at your finger tips.

We are all interested in your impressions of the 2016. Finding the time to meet with Bob will be worthwhile. I'm sure you will find him to be very knowledgeable man. He probably won't try to steal your car but he might make you an offer for it😊😊. If you guys do get together lots of us betas will be very interested in the comparison of the 2016 to the 2014.

I just returned from a vacation trip and got to meet another beta in person and chat with a second one (but we were unable to meet I person). I must say it was a pleasure to do so even though my wife started questioning my sanity......"you want to meet some guy whose blogs you read on the Internet -- you are crazy".
The following 2 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
fsmith (07-18-2015), hondamore (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
....."you want to meet some guy whose blogs you read on the Internet -- you are crazy".
Ten to fifteen years ago, that used to be the main way that Honda people would figure things out.

It led to lifelong friendships and a series called Honda Challenge, business partnerships, and come to think of it I also got a few good employees out of it. Many big names in manufacturing, engineering, tuning and unrelated industries used to be seen in those days.

The entire "drift" phenomenon also developed out of it.

:-)

Not so much, now.

The prevalence of "social" media has made it all far less serious and much more emotional, illogical and controversial.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

I must say it was a pleasure to do so even though my wife started questioning my sanity......"you want to meet some guy whose blogs you read on the Internet -- you are crazy".
My wife thinks EXACTLY the same way about Cars and Coffee, or any of my meetings with people I've only met online. LOL!
Old 07-18-2015, 09:03 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
We are all interested in your impressions of the 2016. Finding the time to meet with Bob will be worthwhile.
I would particularly like a 2014/2016 comparison of the speed of the center stack user interface!
Malibu Flyer (07-18-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Enjoy your wonderful automobile - you RLX-SHers are fortunate owners.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-23-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 11:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Just drove home in my new 2016 RLX SHAWD Advance. It is such an amazing car. I am glad I waited so I could get the nice small touches that they added for 2016 such as the suround view camera and remote start.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by pac1999
I am glad I waited so I could get the nice small touches that they added for 2016 such as the suround view camera and remote start.
Now, now. Don't rub it in. :-)

Congratulations. We'll all look forward to hearing more.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by pac1999
Just drove home in my new 2016 RLX SHAWD Advance. It is such an amazing car. I am glad I waited so I could get the nice small touches that they added for 2016 such as the suround view camera and remote start.
Great to hear there is another So Cal Sport Hybrid owner on AZ. I am sure that you will enjoy the car as much as everyone here does. Most of the "beta testers" [those of us with 2014's] are very interested in your impressions so we can see what we missed out on by jumping for the first version of a great car.

Welcome aboard!!