AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX (2013+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/)
-   -   Battery issue? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/battery-issue-977309/)

snoozabelle 02-19-2019 10:23 AM

Battery issue?

So I've only had my 2014 Sport Hybrid for about 4 months now. Last night was the third time I have been stuck with the car not starting after listening to the stereo (on accessory mode) for no more than 15 minutes.
I park in the garage at work and when I arrive early I like to listen to the stereo. No problem or so I thought. The first two times I came out at midnight to find the car wouldn't start. Every light in creation was flashing
but no start. My husband came and jumped it the first time. Second time I used my portable charger and was on my way. Not thrilled that this only happens to me but that's beside the point. So last night same scenario,
arrive early and listen to the stereo. Just out of curiosity I decided to start the car before going in to work. OH NO! This time not only won't it start but I can't turn it off from accessory! The radio is now asking for the security
code and nothing works to turn it off. There has never been any code to tell me the battery is weak. Called my wonderful husband again to come get the car, thankfully it wasn't at midnight again. I had to leave my beloved
RLX "on" in accessory mode, unable to lock it, until he arrived. At least I knew noone would be driving it away! He jumped it again and drove it home and put on the trickle charger for the night.
So my question is: do I need a new battery? The car is out of warranty and I didn't buy from an Acura dealer so no help there. No codes ever told me about the battery. No other problems with the car.
Replace the battery and see if that solves the problem? It's no fun trying to jump start the car at midnight in a freezing cold garage after working a very stressful job. HELP!!!!!

hondamore 02-19-2019 11:02 AM

It sounds like a trip to the dealer for a new battery is in order.

It is not an uncommon problem...the RLX's often sat on the lot waiting to be sold and normal parasitic loss drained the batteries during that time. Once the battery is drained completely, it is weakened and unable to fully charge and eventually requires replacement.

Sorry for your troubles, I hope you can enjoy your music once again once the battery is replaced.

Limelight 02-19-2019 11:38 AM

At first I thought you had a P-AWS and were running the stereo in accessory mode because you didn't want to waste gas. But then I re-read your post and see you have a Sport Hybrid.

I will often listen to the radio, make a call or check messages when I arrive at the office but since the car is warmed up by that point, I just leave the car "on" in Park vs. turning it off and then back into accessory mode. Is there a reason why you aren't doing that? Sure the gas engine might cycle on and off a few times, but it won't do that much especially if you don't have the heater on (and I find with my heated seats and steering wheel on, I don't need the heat anyway as the car has already warmed up).

That all said, as Hondamore said, I think your battery has seen better days and a replacement should cure what ails you! Good luck.

RLX-Sport Hybrid 02-19-2019 05:18 PM

Battery my friend. Simple fix.

NBP04TL4ME 02-19-2019 06:21 PM

I agree - sounds like a battery issue. I see you are also from MA - :thumbsup:

snoozabelle 02-20-2019 12:15 AM

I'm shopping for a new battery and thinking about getting an AGM battery rather than the standard OEM. Any thoughts or experience out there regarding the battery replacement?
I went to work today and arrived early as usual. However, I did not listen to the stereo and just went into work. Got out at midnight and luckily no problem starting the car. My husband
will be driving it tomorrow but he never has any problem so I won't be worried. I'll be driving my reliable RDX!:)

vtec_v6 02-20-2019 06:44 AM

I'm not sure if there are any known issues using AGM batteries in hybrids, but whenever my RLX (17 sport hybrid) needs 12v battery replacement, I'll be going with Odyssey battery (Extreme Series). I have Odyssey batteries in my other vehicles (including MDX) and they are expensive but solid, reliable batteries.

miner 02-20-2019 07:23 AM

Not sure about the other guesses here, but mine is a new battery in due. :wish:

hondamore 02-20-2019 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by snoozabelle (Post 16385550)
I'm shopping for a new battery and thinking about getting an AGM battery rather than the standard OEM. Any thoughts or experience out there regarding the battery replacement?
I went to work today and arrived early as usual. However, I did not listen to the stereo and just went into work. Got out at midnight and luckily no problem starting the car. My husband
will be driving it tomorrow but he never has any problem so I won't be worried. I'll be driving my reliable RDX!:)

snoozabelle, there are certainly newer technology batteries out there that are designed to tolerate near full discharge without losing future capacity. The only downside that I have seen is that they cost a lot more - but what price to we put on peace of mind that your car will start when you want it to. It is still worth taking the time to check with your Acura dealer regarding compatibility with your Sport Hybrid although I don't think it would be a problem as evidenced by vtec_v6's positive experience with the Odyssey brand.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things work out for you.

snoozabelle 03-12-2019 06:13 PM

What model number Odyssey battery for the RLX? I understand I will need a spacer under it to make up the smaller size recommended. Is this true?

TSX69 03-14-2019 12:06 PM

Fob

I have had to change my battery 3 times in 4 years - luckily all for free by the dealership. 1 time the battery went dead only a few months after the replacement.

We could not find anything wrong with the RLX itself but surmised that perhaps since I left the FOB near the car overnight, it was draining the battery. After that, I keep my FOB upstairs in my bedroom instead of near the garage & the battery has not died .... yet .....

pcloadletter 03-25-2019 07:48 PM

For what it's worth, I'm on my original battery with 90,000 miles.

Odyssey batteries are great, we used them in our hybrid and solar car projects in the 90's.

NBP04TL4ME 03-27-2019 09:15 PM

Has anyone with an RLX Sport Hybrid actually replaced their battery with an Odyssey? What model did you buy? Just trying to help out snoozabelle here as on line tools give conflicting information. Would be good to get a first hand answer here on Azine!