It was a bad year for green cars. *RLX content within*

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
It was a bad year for green cars. *RLX content within*

I know the RLX Sport Hybrid is not the greenest of cars, and none of us who purchased did so to save fuel (and in my case, I'm not really saving fuel anyway ), but it is counted in this article.

Read full article here....

2014: A year that will live in infamy? Edition

Originally Posted by Autoblog
Last year was finally the year when US sales of hybrids, plug-ins and diesels dropped off, and December numbers were no different. It's a good things automakers have a decent excuse for the lag in demand.

US green-car sales in 2014 fell 6.5 percent from a year earlier to about 604,000 units, not including Tesla Motors' figures (Tesla doesn't break out US sales, and its fourth-quarter numbers won't come in until next month). Break out the plug-ins, and the news is rosier, as Americans boosted purchases of electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids last year by 28 percent to just short of 100,000 vehicles.

Still, compared to 2013's 17 percent increase in green-car sales and 55 percent jump in plug-ins, last year was a disappointment. The culprit may have been low gas prices, which make it less cost-effective to buy that hybrid or plug-in. Gas prices are down by about a third from a year ago to $2.19 a gallon from about $3.32, according to AAA. In fact, Schneider Electric's Matt Smith recently said on CNBC that Americans may save as much as $80 billion on refueling costs in 2015, which comes out to about $700 per household, and that's factoring in a now-expensive $2.60 gallon price.

That may be little solace to automakers like Toyota, though. The world's biggest maker of hybrids saw green-car sales fall 9.8 percent last year to about 311,000 units. The four Prius variants moved 207,372 units, down 11 percent, while Camry, Highlander and Avalon Hybrid sales were also all down. Toyota's Lexus division did well by comparison, though green-car sales were still down 2.6 percent to about 42,500 vehicles.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
You know...I'm not sure.

I think that the 30 mpg had something to do with being able to buy the car.

It sort of gave high HP a sense of social responsibility that made it easier to buy.
The following users liked this post:
fsmith (01-12-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
The free fall in crude oil and gas prices will further reduce the appeal of green vehicles. Kinda sad how short sighted people can be.
victorber (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
short sighted or paying attention to their pocket book?
I'm all for green, but economy cars not the RLX or Tesla, etc) are purchased for transportation. Doing the math on a green economy car is not going to yield an ROI at present gas prices. All the early adopters of green may have already gotten their Prius or equivalent. The next growth phase needs a real ROI
Old 01-17-2015, 08:21 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
short sighted or paying attention to their pocket book?
I'm all for green, but economy cars not the RLX or Tesla, etc) are purchased for transportation. Doing the math on a green economy car is not going to yield an ROI at present gas prices. All the early adopters of green may have already gotten their Prius or equivalent. The next growth phase needs a real ROI
My point was that the sales of green cars have lessened with the cheaper gas prices combine that with the increase in SUV/CUV sales and it seems to indicate people are being short sighted and assume gas prices will remain cheap, thus fueling purchases of not so green SUV/CUV's. But hey what do I know, I'm just a guy on the internet interepting what he sees and sharing his opinion.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
^^^I believe both of you are correct.
If the price of gas doubles in the years to come, there will be no shortage of people driving gas guzzling SUV's complaining full time about the cost of fuel and an equal number of hybrid owners laughing all the way to the bank. That said, the current premium being charged for hybrid vehicles compared to their non-hybrid equivalents, is high enough that it takes a long time to get back the extra cash in fuel savings. Some could argue that investing the $5000+ difference in cost (ball park figure) could realize the same $500 per year that the hybrid saves in fuel and you still have the $5000 in the bank. Hybrid owners typically would counter that argument by pointing out that driving a hybrid is more that just fuel savings and that they are contributing to the overall health of the earth and if we all did our part, the world would be a better place (please hold hands and sing Kumbayah). Non-hybrid owners usually counter that by mentioning that the carbon footprint of shipping those batteries all over the world is HUGE and then go hug a tree.
So, bottom line, I believe you are both right and the argument will go on forever.
victorber (01-17-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
More gas saving technologies is better for all.
Electric motors could weigh less and therefore reduce overall weight.
EVs could create a secondary power source.

There is so much more to it than just gas saving.

Most importantly the "tech" race will impact all elements of power generation. The need to create "form, fit, function"; safety; reliability; as well as reliability among many other items will drive innovation. Both hydrogen (or other chem) and EV is good for the economy and future of green world.
JonFo (01-22-2015)