AWD in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:40 AM
Too many cars

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
AWD in snow?

I am looking at purchasing a 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid. I have done a lot of research regarding how the Hybrid and torque vectoring systems work and I think I understand them pretty well. I have not however found anything on how the traction control works, especially in snow. I currently have an 07 MDX and 17 Ridgeline and both have the Honda all wheel drive. Assuming an adequate battery charge, does the system shift power around between front and rear when wheel slip is detected?
Old 05-02-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
yes, and side to side. operates just like standard SHAWD
Old 05-02-2018, 09:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Owning both the RLX and MDX Sport Hybrids and having extensive experience in the snow with them, I can say without any hesitation that they are marvelous with one exception. When making sharp turns on ice at a slow speed (under 15 mph), as the power immediately shifts to the outside rear wheel and under-driving the inside wheel, I have experienced almost a whipping action to fishtail. The system catches itself very quickly but if you are not expecting it, it can be a surprise. However the fun part of the solution is NOT to back out of the gas, but gas it harder as the system pulls the vehicle into line and straightens out nearly immediately, making you look like the awesome driver you may not be. Other than that specific situation, the overall traction is amazing even without dedicated snow tires. I can only imagine how much better it is with those installed.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
The system does not works the same as mechanical shawd since the rear e-motors cannot and do not transfer any power to the front wheels. The vectoring on the front wheels comes only from the ice and the front e-motor. So in response to your question, no, there is no front to back transfer of power from the rear e-motors or vice versa from the ice/front e-motor. In this sense it is more limited than mechanical shawd since the rear wheels or wheel can receive a max 72hp depending on the situation as opposedd to mechanical shawd where the ice power can also be diverted to the rear wheels or wheel.

That being said, the system works well enough in snow but I, personally, trusted my 12 TL shawd just a bit more due to the ability to transfer power front to rear and side to side.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 05:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
AP8ESQ is correct. But there is no need to concern yourself with how it works, because as AP8ESQ said it works well enough!

My advise is just get a dedicated wheel and winter tire package, and you will be safer and able to drive in any condition! At least that is what I have done, even for my 2014 MDX SH-AWD.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
Regarding my comment above - in no way am I saying the rlx is not a superb snow driver just that have noticed some slip on occasion mainly in slush/ ice situations that lead to the conclusion that the tl shawd was just a tiny bit more "planted" feeling in similar situations. On the other hand I take the rlx every time over the e550 4matic I rid myself of when I got it. Just pull the trigger - you won't regret it!
Old 05-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I've also experienced the rear end of my RLX "swinging around" when making a 90 degree turn on ice, but I will repeat a comment I made in an earlier thread that I don't consider it fishtailing because the rear end never goes beyond the direction it is trying to get to. That is, the torque vectoring will swing the rear end around on ice "quicker than one would initially expect" but gets to the direction you want to go and then you just drive away in the direction you intended. This is surprising at first, but once you have experienced it and get used to it, as RLX-Sport Hybrid mentioned, it is a lot of fun if you just keep your foot on the throttle and drive away. The only way it becomes a problem is if you try to correct your steering or, heaven forbid, hit the brakes when you start to feel the back end swing around. With time you will learn to trust the car and it will get you where you want to go, however bad the road conditions are.

All in all, I consider the RLX Sport Hybrid a VERY capable snow performer. I'll echo pgeorg's recommendation that dedicated snow tires should be used to make the RLX Sport Hybrid really amazing in winter conditions.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (05-04-2018)