Another Legend born

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Unfortunately not. I did get a pair of genuine Japanese chopsticks, and a kind note.....
Old 04-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Well I got the passenger side illuminated sill trim swapped in. Maybe half done - but a heck of a lot faster than BOB! I bet his LEGEND sills are still in a box on the garage floor in the mess I once saw.

To be fair, the wiring harness into the dash is the most time consuming and that was already there. I only had to remove the black sills, lower B pillar trim, pax side kickplate and the under glovebox trim piece - ALL were pop off, snap on (with a little persuasion). The other time consumer was snipping and replacing a few zip ties to fasten the wire leads to the main wiring harness running down the side of the car. Only tool I used was a wire snipper to cut 3 or 4 zip ties (and a few band-aids for ripping off a finger nail).

I should finish the driver side tomorrow or Saturday. I got dark, I was sweaty (86F here today) and I thought it best to break before I broke something. Also my custom ACURA floor mats are due, so I can snap some pics of this minor - but nagging modification. I'll snap pics when all done,

Now I can enjoy a cold drink!
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

It must be almost 2 years now that you have the SH, right?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by pgeorg
It must be almost 2 years now that you have the SH, right?
I took delivery 1st week of July 2015. Yep coming up on 2 years and I just hit 6700 miles.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Racking up those miles
Old 04-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Well you know, those trips to the Golden Corral for the Early Bird specials, and trips to church on Sundays.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
moose66 (04-14-2017), pgeorg (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The ACURA logo mats arrived today. The quality is superior to the OEM mats. I ordered the Berber style, which is what the OEM mats are (of a lesser grade). I did not want to switch to 2 rear mats, so I chose a color very close to the OEMs. Side by side, the custom mats are a tad darker, but being in the footwells and not alongside the OEM rear mat, no one would notice. They are twice as thick, better grommets and all mats get a rubberized back (where the OEMs only the driver mat has rubber backing). They weigh 3-4 times the OEMs. They are custom to the RLX , and they fit like a glove. Yet side by side with the OEMs, there are slight differences in shape. I think this is due to the thickness of the custom mats. Only the edge piping on the OEMs is better executed.

Some comparisons:

Custom mats over OEM mats
OEM backside (no rubber) over custom backside (rubberized)
Black illuminated sills w/ OEM mat
Grey illuminated sills w/ custom mats
The illuminated sills do not come in gray for the LEGEND (no graystone / jewel gray interior color option on JDM LEGEND). And the custom floor mats only has the ACURA logo / text licensed (2 options). LEGEND can be embroidered, but it would not be in the correct font and they do not have LEGEND license from Honda. Next I ordered protective 3M film to cover the aluminum inserts for scratch protection (the shipping film is still on in this pic).

A small change, but it completes removal of all RLX badges. Only LEGEND on the trunk and ACURA elsewhere. I like the subtle mods that are recognized by 'those in the know'.
The following 5 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (04-14-2017), moose66 (04-14-2017), pgeorg (04-14-2017), rfreeman11 (04-16-2017), sooththetruth (04-16-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the pics! Those look really nice, I think I will order them also to hold me over until I get get the real thing

The color of your OEM mat looks like its the same as mine (although part number is different), I wonder what color did you choose for the aftermarket ones? I will take a pic of mine and post it, so you can confirm if thats ok.

I definitely like the new door sills, then the black ones......

Oh the color of your interior in the second picture seems to be Seacoast, and not Graystone. I take it its just the color of the picture itself, right?
Old 04-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

My interior is gaystone. The car was in the garage so perhaps the lighting was wonky.

If you want licensed Acura logo (there are two varieties) Lloyds is the vendor. They offer via various online vendors, including their own store. But several of the other vendors offer free shipping and even have sales / promotion codes for another 5-15% off.

With Lloyds there is black, black heathered (has grey speckles) , ebony and gray. The gray looked too light so I went with the ebony (more like charcoal). The only vendors that offer the rear seat mat in the SH one piece does not have logo license but they have a smoke that looks like the best match to the OEM color. There are various grades of the carpet, from inexpensive loop (like the OEMs), luxury plush and the Berber (which is what I went with).
Check out a few vendors and see what format, color and pricing works best for you.

CARID
AutoAnything
America Floor Mats

There are others, but these three ultimately vendor for Lloyds.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (04-16-2017), pgeorg (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks Tampa, will do.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:36 AM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
Only the edge piping on the OEMs is better executed
'.
I like that that I learned the term "edge piping" from your post, and liked your attention to detail noting the difference. The OEM edge piping looks so much better, and so durable. I hope the replacement mats don't unravel at the edges. It may take years to find out. The deeper berber is attractive, I agree. Don't like the crimping on the "edge piping". I'm repeating the phrase so I don't forget it.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:34 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by sooththetruth
I like that that I learned the term "edge piping" from your post, and liked your attention to detail noting the difference. The OEM edge piping looks so much better, and so durable. I hope the replacement mats don't unravel at the edges. It may take years to find out. The deeper berber is attractive, I agree. Don't like the crimping on the "edge piping". I'm repeating the phrase so I don't forget it.
FYI - They do offer an upgraded edge piping option. Depending on the stle mats, alternative colors may be selected as well.

I agree it does not appear as durable as the OEM piping, which is a wrapped stitching (think of the metal wire spiral of a spiral bound notebook) as apposed to a nylon strip sewn over the edge. That creates those crimps on sharp bends. But they are durably sewn with thick thread. I cannot see them being a wear issue in normal use.

I am awaiting the delivery of the custom trunk mat (ACURA logo again). I have the factory OEM RLX mat which does have a rubber backing, but the depth and weight are again, much less than the aftermarket alternatives. For the trunk mat I went with the plush pile type, which is what the factory mat is. I paid $113 (with promo codes, free shipping, etc.) which is MUCH less than $175 for the JDM LEGEND mat ( + 121 shipping!). I will settle for Acura logo while removing the last RLX reference.

I detailed the car last night, am I am pleased with the new mats and sills. My eye no longer goes to the RLX logo and mismatched sills when I open the door. I am just greeted my my Acura. I guess the is the compromise of a full LEGEND conversion and a de-badging mod?

Happy Easter & Passover!
pgeorg (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Tampa do you agree that my mats are the same color as yours?

Thank you!
Old 04-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

It is difficult to say for certain from a photo. But I would say yes. I do not remember, but your interior is black / ebony? I cannot remember is the sandstone / ivory interior has gray floor carpet. The color they chose seems to blend with any color choice, if not exactly matching the interior trim.

I would not deduce there is a different carpet color for graystone vs the black / ebony interior, as the graystone interior also has black / ebony trim pieces (dash and door panel tops). Further graystone is not offered in the JDM LEGEND (hence no LEGEND illuminated door sills in graystone / quartz).

Check the vendors I mentioned. Not all of the carpet grades offer the range of color offerings. The berber I decided upon has black, black heathered, ebony and gray. I remember another grade had black, ebony, smoke and gray. Ebony tends to be slightly darker, smoke looks like a match and gray too light. I got samples sent to me to verify. If color is more important than carpet grade, the smoke is the closest aftermarket choice (again, the vendors I mention all market for Lloyds).
Old 04-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Thank you, I appreciate all you help!
My SH is Seacoast, and it does not have any black pieces. I really like the berber 2, i am just a little unsure if I should go with the Ebony, Ebony heathered, Grey, or Grey heathered......
The only thing I really care about is to be a close match to the rear mats.....

Old 04-16-2017, 12:56 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Seacoast! That is what I meant! These fluffy names they choose for gray, black or tan. Add to that there is the Acura name vs the Honda name for the same trim color.

I have a set in black heathered and a set in ebony. I like the heathered mats, they do not show lint or minor dirt the way black does. They also look thicker and more plush - I guess the speckles add depth visually. However the black portion has more contrast to the floor carpet. But the rear mats are not viewed side by side, so only you would notice. The ebony is a tone darker than the floor carpet but lighter than black or black heather. In the footwells, you really have to look closely under bright light.

Black Heathered vs OEM
Vendor without Acura logo license. Their dark grey seems to be close to Lloyds 'smoke'.

You can also see the flatness of the Med Grey sample vs the tonal OEM mats. The OEM mats can blend into different surrounding trim colors better (likely why the color fabric was chosen).

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 04-16-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Excellent! Thank you for all the help. I will most likely go with the Grey heathered, I think that is the closest match to the Seacoast interior.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts
Good stuff going on in here!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Once I have settled on an RLX I plan on "correctly" badging it. Just wondering if you folks found a template for the Legend badge or if you eyeballed it.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I used a pic from a JDM LEGEND. Then I used painters tape to draw the line between the two creases on the bumper cover corners as a guide. But there is a bit of an optical illusion if you look to the symmetry of the SH-awd badge on the passenger side. The different size letters on the SH-awd badge and the angle of the rear taillight can make it difficult to look level. Ultimately, do what looks best to your eye.

rfreeman11 (04-21-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

I have joined the ranks of the correctly badged... Thanks everyone for info on getting it done.
The following 2 users liked this post by rfreeman11:
MuGen7Modulo (10-12-2018), RLX-Sport Hybrid (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 06:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts
Nice!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

I used a pic from a JDM LEGEND. Then I used painters tape to draw the line between the two creases on the bumper cover corners as a guide. But there is a bit of an optical illusion if you look to the symmetry of the SH-awd badge on the passenger side. The different size letters on the SH-awd badge and the angle of the rear taillight can make it difficult to look level. Ultimately, do what looks best to your eye.

Yeah I found that out when I tried to set the badge, no matter how many times I check the level and backed away, if never "looked" level, It also varies based on perspective, looking down on it makes it worse in my eyes. Still I think it looks good.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:21 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I recently bought a unicorn and I’ve correctly rebadged it today.

Up next is Legend Door Sills. I’m looking for black. I’ve found them on eBay and will probably be buying soon.

I did notice that gray is now listed as an option on the Legend Accessories if anyone is interested. (https://www.honda.co.jp/ACCESS/legen...destepgarnish/) use google translate.
The following 3 users liked this post by K.Rock:
MuGen7Modulo (10-12-2018), neuronbob (10-13-2018), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 05:30 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Rock
I recently bought a unicorn and I’ve correctly rebadged it today.

Up next is Legend Door Sills. I’m looking for black. I’ve found them on eBay and will probably be buying soon.

I did notice that gray is now listed as an option on the Legend Accessories if anyone is interested. (https://www.honda.co.jp/ACCESS/legen...destepgarnish/) use google translate.

Nice! You are on the right track my friend!
Old 10-12-2018, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Very nice!
Old 10-13-2018, 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Congrats on both the purchase and the correct badging!
Old 10-13-2018, 10:13 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
The Legend badge should come standard
Old 10-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
The Legend badge should come standard
It might be something to think about. I'm not sure where these letters came from or what's the theory behind it.

There are things on the ROW Legend, by the way, which even the KC2 Advance does not have in USDM. The "real" KC2 Legend, for example, extra controls in the rear seat pull down arm rest.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
[QUOTE=TampaRLX-SH;15964138]I realized that after I posted, hence the post go ***POOF***

But I am going to contact the JDM vendor for pricing on the center console wireless charger. I assume it plugs into the USB port that the car charger uses.

[/QUOTE
Did you get a quote for this, install, etc?
Old 10-15-2018, 08:20 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
[QUOTE=ddswv;16313182]
I[/QUOTE
Did you get a quote for this, install, etc?
I'd like to hear about a reliable source for this, too. I don't think it'd be too awfully expensive, and the wiring of it should be a piece of cake. We have many fused blocks that could handle that.

The USB connector in the console is a genuine iPod connector, however. I would not want to get rid of that. Even if you're just playing Pandora that you're pulling off the cellular data, it sounds a hell of a lot better playing through the iPod connector than it sounds using Bluetooth!!
Old 10-15-2018, 11:26 AM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=George Knighton;16313200]
Originally Posted by ddswv

I'd like to hear about a reliable source for this, too. I don't think it'd be too awfully expensive, and the wiring of it should be a piece of cake. We have many fused blocks that could handle that.

The USB connector in the console is a genuine iPod connector, however. I would not want to get rid of that. Even if you're just playing Pandora that you're pulling off the cellular data, it sounds a hell of a lot better playing through the iPod connector than it sounds using Bluetooth!!
I need to try this. Been using Bluetooth for a couple weeks, thought it was great. Now I’m wondering what I’ve been missing!!!

As for the wireless, might be cheaper to DIY something.
54,000 YEN... is almost $500.00

Old 10-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Senior Moderator

When I bought my lighted sills a few years ago, I had to use a broker and pay about $150 over cost (then, I never installed them, *ugh*). Now, we have thensxshop.com, which has unspecified Honda connections allowing NSX owners to find rare NSX parts. I'll have to ask the owner whether he can get JDM Legend parts.
ddswv (10-16-2018)
Old 01-26-2019, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
I did the same to my Gen 2 RL, and I've always been glad I did. Thanks to this board (probably Tampa – it's been a while) for making me aware it was possible.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Good taste, then!