Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
My M37 has 4WS, I will admit I do not believe it is as fully advanced as the RLX, but regardless I either do not push the car hard enough to notice or just don't notice the effects of it.
Maybe you don't notice the 4WS in the M because the handling was already good and the 4WS was just a minor enhancement to what's already good? The 4WS in the RLX, on the other hand, bears the additional responsibility of compensating for the handling limitations of a big FWD car.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb MotorWeek

Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

Smile RedLine

The following users liked this post:
jhr3uva90 (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
^ A pretty good review by a knowledgeable, open-minded tester. The haters can say what they want, but this is an impressive car. I can't wait to see the AWD version.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
^ A pretty good review by a knowledgeable, open-minded tester. The haters can say what they want, but this is an impressive car. I can't wait to see the AWD version.
It was indeed an unbiased review but not to take away from the RLX, it isn't far fetched to say that Sofyan is an Acura fan based on his reviews of their cars.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Lexus is in the top tier of sales, but they generally don't sell a lot of cars over $50K. Their top selling vehicle is the RX SUV, which is FWD by default and has a starting price way below $50K. Their top selling sedan is the ES, another FWD car.

But I do agree that car buyers are increasingly unwilling to buy non-big brand cars that cost over $50K. But guess what? There is no more room for any more tier one brand names. Why? Because the market for $50K+ cars is shrinking, and those folks who can buy (more likely lease) those cars have already chosen the brands they want and don't want to consider news ones. It's like every other luxury goods. A woman who likes Tiffany's is not going to choose some other "up and coming" store that is "similar" to Tiffany's no matter how good their products are. A customer who like Prada or Louis Vuitton is not going to choose an "up and coming" brand that is "similar," no matter how good their products are. That's why luxury brands are consolidating instead of expanding. Trust me, I work for a subsidiary of one of those luxury brands.

Honda is better off making sure Acura is the king of the second tier. They need to make sure they keep Cadillac, Lincoln, Infiniti and the other second-tier brands in check. It is too late for them to try to catch the top tier, and it would cost them way more than $1 billion (USD) to try.
You have some valid points.

But when the market for $50K+ cars is shrinking, why the heck does the 2nd-Tier, non-big-brand Acura want to stick it's head in again by attempting another shot in the $50K+ market with the RLX ?

Honda had already stated that it had given up in marketing the Acura brand to become a Tier-1 auto brand, and instead will market Acura as a "Smart Luxury" brand (whatever that means) ?

So the same question again ? Why on earth does the non-Tier-1 Acura brand work so hard and spend so much money trying to crack the $50K+ luxury sedan market again, when it should concentrate on building Tier-2 vehicle products ?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
You have some valid points.

But when the market for $50K+ cars is shrinking, why the heck does the 2nd-Tier, non-big-brand Acura want to stick it's head in again by attempting another shot in the $50K+ market with the RLX ?

Honda had already stated that it had given up in marketing the Acura brand to become a Tier-1 auto brand, and instead will market Acura as a "Smart Luxury" brand (whatever that means) ?

So the same question again ? Why on earth does the non-Tier-1 Acura brand work so hard and spend so much money trying to crack the $50K+ luxury sedan market again, when it should concentrate on building Tier-2 vehicle products ?
Great questions! I have a theory:

After 17 of the Acura RL, I'm sure Honda/Acura are well aware that the RL/RLX will NEVER be a big seller. So why even bother? Because: 1) the RLX is a "production-test" model for features that will trickle down to other Acuras. I fully a less expensive version of P-AWS to be available on the next TL/TLX as another way to differentiate it from the Honda Accord and to compete in comparison tests with RWD cars from Lexus, Infiniti, etc. 2) the RLX is a "production-test" model for features that will trickle UP to the NSX. Lessons learned from the RLX's Sport Hybrid All-Wheel Drive will be applied to the NSX.

Also, I don't think Honda/Acura spent that much money developing the RLX. One of the benefits of platform engineering is that many of the pieces have already been engineered and put into production before the RLX was released. That reduces costs significantly. That's also why Acura won't depart from the Global Midsize Platform they've been using forever.
wstr75 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
..Acura as a "Smart Luxury" brand (whatever that means) ?
I certainly don't work for Acura nor am I consulted for their marketing strategies however...*lol*

Here is what I think, when I think of Acura (and why I feel that Smart Luxury works for me).

If you have a car that contains many of the tech features/innovations as the so called "luxury" brand, have a vehicle that has equivalent power, much better reliability and except for the "cachet", is pretty much on part with the big players but at a reduced price...that is SMART luxury....you are smart to pay less to have a near equivalent product.

I am not sure if you have that in the States as well, but here in Canada, we often have these "No Name" brands. For example, Heinz will partner with a grocery store to package pretty much the same product in a different container but with a different "No name" brand. The product is pretty much identical (same plant) and is sold for 30-40% cheaper.

Some people will say it taste different and are willing to pay more for the exact same product. In this case, I am not saying that a BMW is building Acuras nor that the product is EXACTLY the same, but you know what...if you can get a very decent luxury product for a reduced price tag, that is what I call smart.

In the same fashion, I would argue that Kia could be branded as "Smart" non luxury cars....These guys are producing a VERY decent products, are offering many features att a much reduced price. Is it as good as a Honda or a Toyota? No (as far as handling for example) but you know what, they are pretty darn good and why they are selling so well.

In my mind, I almost see that Acura is to BMW what Kia is to Honda with one major difference...when catering to people with lots of money who can afford the brand name and whats to wear the brand name....guess what, they will PAY for the brand, not because they have to but because they want to. That is why its working so well for Kia/Hyundai but maybe not as well for Acura, just because of the targeted audience.

My 2 cents
The following 4 users liked this post by weather:
JM2010 SH-AWD (03-06-2013), MC MiYoung3269 (03-15-2013), TLtrigirl (03-06-2013), wstr75 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Every day I hear multiple ads for Acura on my local radio station. They sponsor the sports report which is broadcast every 30 minutes. Not one mention of the RLX yet.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
It could be that Acura marketing is following the Steve jobs plan? "We are not working on a phone". Bam, iPhone debuts. "We are not working on a tablet" then the iPad comes out. "Nobody wants to use a 7 inch tablet, you would have to sand your finger tips down", Then the iPad mini comes out.

We are not shooting for "tier 1 status" we want to be "Smart Luxury". Soon to follow, RLX, MDX, RLX Hybrid and NSX.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I certainly don't work for Acura nor am I consulted for their marketing strategies however...*lol*

Here is what I think, when I think of Acura (and why I feel that Smart Luxury works for me).

If you have a car that contains many of the tech features/innovations as the so called "luxury" brand, have a vehicle that has equivalent power, much better reliability and except for the "cachet", is pretty much on part with the big players but at a reduced price...that is SMART luxury....you are smart to pay less to have a near equivalent product.

I am not sure if you have that in the States as well, but here in Canada, we often have these "No Name" brands. For example, Heinz will partner with a grocery store to package pretty much the same product in a different container but with a different "No name" brand. The product is pretty much identical (same plant) and is sold for 30-40% cheaper.

Some people will say it taste different and are willing to pay more for the exact same product. In this case, I am not saying that a BMW is building Acuras nor that the product is EXACTLY the same, but you know what...if you can get a very decent luxury product for a reduced price tag, that is what I call smart.

In the same fashion, I would argue that Kia could be branded as "Smart" non luxury cars....These guys are producing a VERY decent products, are offering many features att a much reduced price. Is it as good as a Honda or a Toyota? No (as far as handling for example) but you know what, they are pretty darn good and why they are selling so well.

In my mind, I almost see that Acura is to BMW what Kia is to Honda with one major difference...when catering to people with lots of money who can afford the brand name and whats to wear the brand name....guess what, they will PAY for the brand, not because they have to but because they want to. That is why its working so well for Kia/Hyundai but maybe not as well for Acura, just because of the targeted audience.

My 2 cents
The problem with your post is that my line in the sand for what I consider to be "good value" is different than the next car purchaser.

So while you will consider the RLX to be SMART Luxury, a 535 at the same price point might be considered to be a better value for some and hence win the purchase, because there is some attribute/feature of the 535 that the purchaser finds desireable over the RLX.

Cars are not equivalent across the product lines; which is actually a good thing. While some may brand the Acura as "Smart Luxury", with the subtext being you're an idiot if you don't buy it because it's the best car out there, I don't think like that.

For me, I like what I like and if it's worth it, will pay for it. Also hate try to guess what the mind of a buyer is like.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I agree with you that no two people will ever see everything the same way and what I see as being smart luxury for me, may not be for another. What I perceive as being what matters to me for being worthy of my hard earned dollar may not be the same for another. I agree that Acura is not for everyone, if it was, BMW would be bankrupt and so would Mercedes. I never intended to try and convince everyone that they should agree with the business plan that Acura has about their smart luxury.....just as the same reason that some people will not buy the cheaper lower brand Ketchup in my example. I was simply stating that for me, smart luxury works. When I buy a vehicle, I look at the features that matters to me and base my decision according but I will say this...I am not using simply a FWD (with an AWD enhancement) vs a RWD as a sole reason, nor the name plate on the trunk (and NOT implying you do either)...For me, I buy a car that offers more in the positive column than on the negative column. No cars is perfect, and that includes Acura...so I do my pro and con list but it seems that time and time again, Acura seems to win it for me.

But I appreciate your point and although Acura works for me, I do not disagree at all with what you are saying. If Acura doesn't work for you, based on your need and preference, then it makes total sense why you would go somewhere else.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
First all those that think a BMW, Audi or MB comparably equipped is in the same price point really needs to through each option list and truly get the competitors configured as close as possible to the RLX because every time I do tha with a 535, E350 or A6 the prices is easily $5k or more higher than the RLX. You really need to analyze their option lists, if I recall Audi's B&O option on the A6 is $5K alone then start adding the innovation package is another $5K and you are at $68K already. Sure the Audi has Quattro which makes it hard to get equal, but if you take the RLX AWD and pit it up against and S6 you will get the same gap again.
weather (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
It could be that Acura marketing is following the Steve jobs plan? "We are not working on a phone". Bam, iPhone debuts. "We are not working on a tablet" then the iPad comes out. "Nobody wants to use a 7 inch tablet, you would have to sand your finger tips down", Then the iPad mini comes out.

We are not shooting for "tier 1 status" we want to be "Smart Luxury". Soon to follow, RLX, MDX, RLX Hybrid and NSX, and V8/RWD .
Fixed in blue color.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ I agree with you that no two people will ever see everything the same way and what I see as being smart luxury for me, may not be for another. What I perceive as being what matters to me for being worthy of my hard earned dollar may not be the same for another. I agree that Acura is not for everyone, if it was, BMW would be bankrupt and so would Mercedes. I never intended to try and convince everyone that they should agree with the business plan that Acura has about their smart luxury.....just as the same reason that some people will not buy the cheaper lower brand Ketchup in my example. I was simply stating that for me, smart luxury works. When I buy a vehicle, I look at the features that matters to me and base my decision according but I will say this...I am not using simply a FWD (with an AWD enhancement) vs a RWD as a sole reason, nor the name plate on the trunk (and NOT implying you do either)...For me, I buy a car that offers more in the positive column than on the negative column. No cars is perfect, and that includes Acura...so I do my pro and con list but it seems that time and time again, Acura seems to win it for me.

But I appreciate your point and although Acura works for me, I do not disagree at all with what you are saying. If Acura doesn't work for you, based on your need and preference, then it makes total sense why you would go somewhere else.
I agree with you on what YOU WANT in a car, not would people say about another mfg. I do buy or lease a car on what I like about it, looks, value, etc. Like you, I always find that a Acura car gives me what I want and I'm very happy with that choice. Could they do better is some things, of course they could, but overall I'm happy and that what counts more than anything else.
weather (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ Exactly my point! I am not trying to convince people that Acura is better than BMW, or that Mercedes is better than Audi etc. At the end of the end, Acura is producing vehicle to please an audience....and they will sell vehicles to those who appreciate what it has to offer. For me, I don't have confidence in the reliability of BMW. Am I correct that by assuming BMW is an unreliable brand? Some will say yes, others will say no. At the end of the day, I am the one who will buy the next vehicle and will buy on what is important for me....Reliability is VERY important to me and I perceive (the key word is "I"), again, I perceive BMW as having reliability issues and why I am not prepared to buy them (so far). To some, they "perceive" a RWD as the criteria for luxury, and to them, rightfully so, they will not be interested in what Acura offers. To some, they perceive a V8 as luxuary, again, that is totally fine....they will not buy an Acura. At the end of the day, we buy what we do because we like what the company offers not what other people think (at least I hope so!).

For me, I don't need a V8, I don't need a rear wheel drive but I need comfort, good handling, excellent reliability, decent styling and reasonably priced. That is MY grocery list and right now, Acura is my best grocery store for finding everything I need.
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
frainc (03-07-2013), JM2010 SH-AWD (03-14-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
My brother-in-law has a 2012 Audi S5 that cost 68K. Very nice car with a big V8 and looks. But in the plus year that he has it, its been to the dealer for problems (elect.) 3 times. His brakes sound like a NYC subway train is coming into the station and its a very hard ride.

The dealer told him that the brakes are OK and the sound is normal for the
S5. How about that!, 68K for a car that sounds like the subway when stopping!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Oc

Driving the new Acura RLX was almost a "look Ma, no hands" experience.

Powering down Interstate 5 this week, there were times I let the car steer without my direction and relied on its multiple cameras to determine if I was risking a front-end collision, at which point the RLX applied the brakes on my behalf, slowing me to a dead stop when necessary.
Base price: $49,345*
Price as tested (Advance version): $61,345
Powertrain: Direct-injected, 3.5-liter, VTEC V6, 4 valves per cylinder, SOHC, variable cylinder management, 6-speed automatic transmission
Maximum horsepower: 310 @ 6,500 rpm
Maximum torque: 272 lb.-ft. @4,500 rpm
EPA estimated fuel economy: 20 city, 31 highway, 24 combined
Road test mpg (based on 300 miles of driving): 27.9 mpg combined
* Including destination and handling
If the RLX was any more engaged, Acura would need to rename it HAL and equip it with a voice box that called me Dave.

As much as the RLX provides a glimpse into the future of self-driving cars, it's a full-on innovation assault as Acura works to outdo its luxury competition with groundbreaking features that improve drivers' experience but cost them less money. On sale March 15, the RLX starts at $49,345 with a fully loaded model topping out at $61,345, including destination and delivery.

The RL-replacing RLX flagship is powered with Acura's 1st direct-injection engine, which ups the fuel economy without sacrificing performance. Its 3.5-liter V6 delivered smooth power and, in 300 miles of mostly highway driving, 28 mpg – an impressive feat for a gas-powered mid-size luxury sedan.

Like many manufacturers inching their way toward the upcoming 54.5 mpg fuel economy standard, the RLX is light weighting. An Acura 1st, the RLX fuses aluminum panels to its steel-frame doors and ups the amount of high-strength, lightweight steel throughout the car to maintain its safety while improving handling and fuel efficiency.

That handling is enhanced by Acura's new Precision All-Wheel Steer system that, despite an acronym that's easy to misread as something veterinary, turns the rear wheels individually, as needed, to help steer this otherwise front-wheel-drive car, 1 of the results being a surprisingly small turning radius.

Later this year, Acura will introduce an all-wheel-drive variant of a hybrid-drive RLX that will embed 2 electric motors in its rear wheels.

While the current RLX wheels are devoid of hub motors, they play a crucial role in keeping road noise at bay. Each wheel is equipped with noise-reducing resonators that, along with sound-insulating glass, help make the RLX 1 of the quieter cars I've driven recently – and the most impressive Acura I've driven to date.

As part of its value-oriented luxury flagship, Acura has refined its exterior style. The headlights are bedazzled with LED high beams and the exhaust is entirely hidden.

But it's inside that's most impressive. For the RLX, Acura has stretched the wheelbase of its outgoing RL by 2 inches and utilized the additional length to carve out more rear-seat leg room, which feels almost limo-like in its spaciousness. The windows in the rear seating area are also equipped with built-in shades – a terrific feature for sunny So Cal.

From the driver's seat, the features are more technological. The cockpit is outfitted with 2 screens. A larger Nav screen tops a 2nd touch screen that is, like many things in this car, touchy feely. The screen gives a quiver of sensory feedback to register contact when controlling the audio and other systems.

Steering wheel controls operate the more innovative safety features, such as Acura's 1st Adaptive Cruise Control system with low-speed follow. Press a button, and the driver is alerted that's it on with a graphic on the dashboard screen, though it's the application of the brakes that will really alert them to its presence: The braking is more abrupt than smooth.

Even when the system is off, and the burden of braking is back on the driver, the dashboard literally spells out when it's time to do the deed. It flashes "BRAKE" in urgent orange and, as if that weren't enough of an alert, also tugs on the driver's seatbelt to silently scream, "Wake up!"

The controls for Acura's 1st Lane-Keeping Assist feature are likewise operated via steering wheel, though it's a camera embedded in the windshield that reads the dotted lines on either side of the lane in and actively steers the car without drivers needing to hold the wheel. It's an unusual sensation to drive at speed and into turns hands free, watching the steering wheel rock back and forth as if controlled by a ghost. The system will only do so for 10 seconds at a stretch, however, at which point the dashboard insists "Steering is required."

HAL-ish as the RLX is, it still requires a driver, who is likely to enjoy the technological bang it provides for the buck.

Last edited by TSX69; 03-14-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Safety Car

I looked at an RLX at the Dealer yesterday. This may have been asked before, but why is there a hump on the floor in the rear passenger area? Is this where batteries will go in the hybrid?
I asked the sales guy and he says because of the 4 wheel steering, yeah right.

Also, I guess the Dealers got the nod yesterday that they can go ahead and sell them.

Last edited by getakey; 03-14-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'd rather a salesperson say "I don't know" than make up an answer.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I'd rather a salesperson say "I don't know" than make up an answer.
this guy was an idiot. I posted on another thread that he did not even know that the AWD model was not available. The feature that he went out of his way to show me: the button for the parking brake
Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I think most cars have that sort of hump?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iforyou
I think most cars have that sort of hump?
FWD cars?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by getakey
FWD cars?
Here's a 2013 Accord:

2013 Camry:

2013 Fusion:

2014 Mazda 6:
Old 03-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Safety Car

hmm - could have sworn I've been in a fWD car that did not have that
Old 03-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

I looked at an RLX at the Dealer yesterday. This may have been asked before, but why is there a hump on the floor in the rear passenger area? Is this where batteries will go in the hybrid?
I asked the sales guy and he says because of the 4 wheel steering, yeah right.

Also, I guess the Dealers got the nod yesterday that they can go ahead and sell them.
Well... I don't know since I haven't seen the car on a lift yet. However, you still need to get the exhaust to the rear of the car so that's one option. Also, that slight hump is sure to increase the rigidity of the chassis. The on-sale date is tomorrow, but I suppose they could 'roll' one today and RDR it tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts

Lol I don't know if you guys have been driving F1 cars all your life or what but as far as I know, all the sedans ive driven or been a passanger in they've add had a hump in the back.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

Well... I don't know since I haven't seen the car on a lift yet. However, you still need to get the exhaust to the rear of the car so that's one option. Also, that slight hump is sure to increase the rigidity of the chassis. The on-sale date is tomorrow, but I suppose they could 'roll' one today and RDR it tomorrow.
In terms of on-sale date, the Sale Mgr specifically said that they got the go ahead 2 days early.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

I believe the RSX and Civic have had a flat floor so it has happened. Aren't they current CR-V and RDX flat? (but they also have higher ride heights?)

In terms of on-sale date, the Sale Mgr specifically said that they got the go ahead 2 days early.
Ahhh I see. I guess I missed the memo. However, I'm not sure we've decided to sell our original two since then we'll have nothing to show (till new ones arrive). It's a bit of a dilemma, we've pre-sold our first two month's production so if we roll what we have, all the RLXs coming are for customers. We can't really 'test drive' these models.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Safety Car

I believe the RSX and Civic have had a flat floor so it has happened. Aren't they current CR-V and RDX flat? (but they also have higher ride heights?)

Ahhh I see. I guess I missed the memo. However, I'm not sure we've decided to sell our original two since then we'll have nothing to show (till new ones arrive). It's a bit of a dilemma, we've pre-sold our first two month's production so if we roll what we have, all the RLXs coming are for customers. We can't really 'test drive' these models.
I thought it odd as well. I asked him if they had pre-sold any. He sadi no, but as of that day (Wednesady) they could sell what they have. Maybe he was just BSing me. If I go to the acura web site, its still listed as "future" vehicle

at least the humps are smaller

Last edited by getakey; 03-14-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
when is the AWD version coming out? I don't want to make the next purchase before I check that out.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 037
when is the AWD version coming out? I don't want to make the next purchase before I check that out.
Not sure anyone knows. All they say is "later this year"
Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Oh there are FWD cars with no hump, such as the Civic:

That's one of the many selling points of the Civic.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Not sure anyone knows. All they say is "later this year"
A friend who owns a dealership told me "later this summer."

He also said the NSX will be a very low production car. While not a built to order model, he expects there will be waiting lists and that each dealer will only get a handful at most.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSX69

That is interesting. 4.09 - he says LKAS is working, but it is not an active system, it doesn't steer back in lane. It just gives a "beep", that's all. On previous Legend sold in UK, LKAS is steering, not just giving audible signal & flashing on dash, but does active steering.
Furthermore, in new Honda CR-V actively steering LKAS along with CMBS (package called ADAS) is offered as an option.
It looks like Honda still doesn't dare to put self-steering system on US market. Weird.

Last edited by Pint; 03-15-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Lol I don't know if you guys have been driving F1 cars all your life or what but as far as I know, all the sedans ive driven or been a passanger in they've add had a hump in the back.

The hump still exists to tuck in the exhaust so that it's not hanging below the car. My 2001 TL had a hump in it too.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Pint
That is interesting. 4.09 - he says LKAS is working, but it is not an active system, it doesn't steer back in lane. It just gives a "beep", that's all. On previous Legend sold in UK, LKAS is steering, not just giving audible signal & flashing on dash, but does active steering.
Furthermore, in new Honda CR-V actively steering LKAS along with CMBS (package called ADAS) is offered as an option.
It looks like Honda still doesn't dare to put self-steering system on US market. Weird.
Infiniti's Blind Spot and Lane Departure use the opposite side brakes to nudge you back into your lane.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
Infiniti's Blind Spot and Lane Departure use the opposite side brakes to nudge you back into your lane.
Yes, I've seen Infinity's promo about their Lane keeping, but still think that Honda's solution is more advanced.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pint
There are two different systems. Lane Departure Warning (LDW) only monitors the lines and warns you if you leave the lane. Lane Keep Assist System on the Advance Package will actively steer.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by frainc
My brother-in-law has a 2012 Audi S5 that cost 68K. Very nice car with a big V8 and looks. But in the plus year that he has it, its been to the dealer for problems (elect.) 3 times. His brakes sound like a NYC subway train is coming into the station and its a very hard ride.

The dealer told him that the brakes are OK and the sound is normal for the
S5. How about that!, 68K for a car that sounds like the subway when stopping!
Most hyper-aggressive brakes are like that, though we are talking Mitsu EVO level brake setups at this point. One way around it, is to brake hard for the first few times, the it should go away for the rest of the day... normally, anyways.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)