Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Which app are you using to measure 0-60 performance?
G-meter app for Android. I use the G-Tech Pro RR timer (separate device) which gives me the .00 reading as the phone app gives me the .0 detail. I referenced the app use only instead of the timer and app. oops. I should have caught that detail before posting. Sorry.

Last edited by RLX-Sport Hybrid; 01-08-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
A nice open minded review. At least he was not looking for something to carp on as most auto 'journalists' do. I can understand his negative perceptions (although I do not agree with them). If consumers want a ton of technology features, you cannot expect to be acclimated to it all in a 45 minute experience. But one contradiction is how much he boasts about the drivetrain and yet thinks the price is an issue. Considering how refined this FIRST attempt in the market for a quick hybrid, torque vectoring all wheel drive, large and well appointed sedan is, I personally think the SH RLX should cost more.

2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid AWD: 'You get what you pay for' | Examiner.com
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (01-24-2016), pgeorg (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 09:27 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

"This is a car that is far better than the majority of its press"

Wow, a reviewer who likes BOTH flavors of the RLX.

Latter-Day Legend: The 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid

and his review of the 2014 RLX:

http://tirekicker.blogspot.com/2013/...acura-rlx.html
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (01-24-2016), Malibu Flyer (01-24-2016), pgeorg (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 09:40 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I do not believe this one was posted....

Much of it reads from an Acura Press release.

Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (01-24-2016), pgeorg (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Mr. Hagerty (from Tirekicker) needs a Sport Hybrid in his life, clearly. His experience is fairly close to the Sport Hybrid junkies on this forum. My favorite part of his review:

"No doubt Acura had high hopes for its flagship, but monthly sales peaked at 830 units in October of 2013 and it's been a steep slide since. In 2015, the best month was 239 units in May. They sold an all-time low of 120 in November. Sales have fallen 36 percent from calendar year 2014. The Acura RLX is the 249th best-selling car in America. The list only goes to 298. Hyundai sells more Eqqus (Eqqui?). Kia sells more K900s. Volvo sells more V60s. And when was the last time you saw any of those?

What does the RLX outsell? The Mercedes-Benz B-Class electric, the Volvo S80 (now in its 10th year of the current generation), the Mini Paceman, the Chevrolet Caprice PPV (which is sold only to law enforcement agencies) and the $140,000 BMW i8 hybrid are numbers 250 through 254 on the best-seller list. From there to the bottom is a who's who of the once desirable but past their prime (BMW Z4), the unloved (Mitsubishi i-MIEV), the unobtainable to the masses (Mercedes-Benz AMG GT, Nissan GT-R, Dodge Viper, Alfa Romeo 4C, Audi R8, Jaguar XK, Porsche 918 Spyder), new models just getting on buyers' radar (Audi TT, Mercedes GLC, Toyota Mirai) and cars, trucks, SUVs and minivans no longer on production, the remaining unsold inventory trickling off dealer lots at fire-sale prices (there hasn't been a Volvo C70 since 2013, but seven of them were sold in 2015...as were eight 2013 Chevy Avalanches)."

My answer to that is: buncha tasteless wannabes who won't try this car. Very humerous look at how poor sales are for our automotive protagonist.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

This is Japan's 'Today's Car' program and review of the Honda LEGEND. Yes, it is in Japanese. But the reviewer is VERY friendly. He says 'Hi' an awful lot. And the apparently homeless woman finds the back seat suitable enough to move in. Then the geeky guy joins in. He apparently, is one of our members here. He bows to the car.

A better look and the rear seat control panel @ 9:40. It's a good thing too, since the homeless woman is banned from the front seats.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:52 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Dynamic Safety Test

This is kinda fun. Yes, it is in Japanese. The Japanese Stig and assistand compare an emergency avoidance maneuver between the LEGEND and the LS F Sport. The LEGEND is very composed.

Then Beavis and Butthead discuss (in Japanese). I do not know what that stick thing is with the big finger on the end, but it makes me nervous.

At the end, they show side by side video. Very impressive. And I am sorry, I have to say this. Looking at these two cars, side by side, they appear as peers. The LEGEND holds up nicely to a car 150% of the cost. Where this 'boring' BS comes from is getting old. This is what contemporary executive sedans look like. Just because it does not appeal to the boy racer mentality does not make it boring. Sophistication and elegance are sublime and humble.

fsmith (03-06-2016), hondamore (03-05-2016), JM2010 SH-AWD (03-06-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Get some popcorn...

Here's more... And It is a LS600h, nearly twice the price (in the USA anyway).

Old 03-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Wet Surface Manuever

Gotta Love SHAWD.

The following users liked this post:
hondamore (03-05-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
.At the end, they show side by side video. Very impressive. And I am sorry, I have to say this. Looking at these two cars, side by side, they appear as peers. The LEGEND holds up nicely to a car 150% of the cost. Where this 'boring' BS comes from is getting old. This is what contemporary executive sedans look like. Just because it does not appeal to the boy racer mentality does not make it boring. Sophistication and elegance are sublime and humble.
No need to apologize for expressing that you like how it looks. And those who have called it "boring" arent necesarily "boy racers" either. Most if it all just comes from the fact that Acura put soo much into engineering what is a really a "sports" car and confused it by giving it an executive sedan styling, and one that is somewhat bland. Or as Haichago recently put it "designed by committee".

I too like the RLX design, but it is too far to the utilitarian/family sedan side of things. It could have had a bit more appeal to it. At the very least have given owners options to give it a sportier look, and at the very least done some things different to the Hybrid, since it does have "Sport" in the product name...

Personally I think the LS is just as "boring" as the RLX.

While also twice as much as the RLX, I think the Audi A8/S8 is a great example of balancing executive contemporary regal design with just the right amount of sport/sex appeal to it.

You get to the bottom and the sad fog horn comes out a bit. You see how the RLX just looks a bit "dumpy" and "me too". It doesnt jump out at you as a "hey, Im an executive sedan AND a bad ass sports car at the same time." It doesnt give most people the initial visual "F$&& I need to drive that car".

That is what's lacking...

Last edited by holografique; 03-06-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Of course the S8 looks better. It is THE sport model of the A8 lineup. It is also north of $112K. It BETTER look so. But even a base V6 A8 is $20K more than a similarly equipped RLX SH. And remove the cosmetics and wheels for the S8 and you have a vehicle that is about as proportionally common and similarly slab sided as all exec sedans. Aside form the Audi face, it could be a Passat. It has less character lines than the RLX. Yes the interior is beautiful, and better be $20K more beautiful.

I like the A8. I ordered one. But I knew it was more car than I wanted and it was priced accordingly. If you want something else, please buy it. I am sorry your RLX experience was poor. Personally I would have cut my losses and moved on if I was as unhappy as you are. Life is too short. I share many of the complaints you make. I even retreated from the forum awhile as I did not want to poison the experience of those who were happy and enthusiastic. But I chose to wait and not buy an early build (I have posted many times I would not do that from ANY manufacturer). Your issues are genuine, real and unfortunate. They are well documented in this forum. It now seems like your only focus is to jump on every opportunity where something positive is shared to beat your dead horse. Because of your poor experience there is nothing the RLX can do to generate positive energy in you. At least that is what I read, repeatedly. It does not seem to make you feel any better as the dialog has become a viscous cycle. Nothing will change your situation until you make the change. The forum cannot do that for you.

Maybe it is I who needs to step away. My contribution and participation to this forum for over 10 years has mostly been a positive experience. I really do not get that much anymore and feel like I am swimming against the current. I think I should just focus on me and my happiness with my choice.

The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
a35tl (03-11-2016), fsmith (03-06-2016), hondamore (03-06-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Constantly sharing bad experiences, or constantly sharing good experiences...if you want to say one is a viscous cycle, how is the other not?

I've shared my good experiences with the car, and the bad. My reply above also had nothing to do with my bad experiences. Did you overlook the fact that I said I like the RLX design?

You shared your view, and I replied sharing my view. We are both sharing our opinions and experiences. Is this not what this forum is for?

If you post on a public forum, then post with the responsibility to accept whatever comes back, be it good or bad. This forum isn't viewed by us and only us. It's viewed by existing members, existing members who don't frequent the RLX forums, and entirely new members who've never been here before. Just as you share your great experiences with the SH model, I share my good and bad experiences with the PAWS model.

I have every right to post here just as much as you do. And you have every right to ignore (or respond) to what you don't like, just as much as I do...

Have a good day sir.

Last edited by holografique; 03-06-2016 at 10:24 AM.
bronx1480 (03-08-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
holographique, you are entitled to post your opinions like anyone else, but when that opinion is always the same regardless of the topic at hand, it gets a bit annoying. It can be a thread about tires and you pop in with "my car sucks". In a thread about sales of the RLX, you add, "My car sucks". Regardless of the topic..."my car sucks". We all get it, we've all heard you.

It is like you are looking for sympathy and playing a victim, but I believe you were involved in this forum BEFORE you bought your car when many of us were discussing our experience with the RL and suggesting it would be wise to avoid being an early adopter and instead waiting for the glitches to be worked out, waiting for the prices to drop and MOST IMPORTANTLY, waiting for the Sport Hybrid version to come out. You chose to ignore those giving that advice and you have suffered because of it. YOU own a lot of that for making THAT bad choice.

Early adopter issues are NOT exclusive to Acura and early adopter pricing is certainly not exclusive to Acura nor the RLX. You chose to be the first one on the block with the new car, despite warnings, and you have to live with the consequences. We all get it, we all got it the first few hundred times you posted about it.

Good day sir.
a35tl (03-11-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ did I say above that my car sucks? I was participating in expressing an opinion about design. I didn't say anything in that entire thread above that pointed back to my "early adoption" issues...You and Tampa decided to bring that up, not me. Anyone else could have posted the same thing I did. But you guys chose to take it out of context.

whatever. Hey Neuron - you might want to write up a disclaimer on this forum when creating a new account that you are only allowed to post good opinions about Acura.

And I'll do you guys the favor of removing myself off this forum for good. You can go back to your regularly scheduled repeating posts about what is great, stuff we've all also heard before.

Last edited by holografique; 03-06-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
It is like you are looking for sympathy and playing a victim, but I believe you were involved in this forum BEFORE you bought your car when many of us were discussing our experience with the RL and suggesting it would be wise to avoid being an early adopter and instead waiting for the glitches to be worked out, waiting for the prices to drop and MOST IMPORTANTLY, waiting for the Sport Hybrid version to come out. You chose to ignore those giving that advice and you have suffered because of it. YOU own a lot of that for making THAT bad choice.
INCORRECT. I've been a member since 2008 when I bought my TL, but I went silent a year later and didn't come back until AFTER I purchased my RLX. So don't know where you're getting any of that from.

Regardless, it doesn't matter.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:35 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
It is like [he is] looking for sympathy and playing a victim....
At the worst, maybe he is agitating or trying to whip the vote.

Don't really see anything wrong with that, and it only takes a couple of minutes to see he is not the only one disappointed.

I think the Consumer Reports designation bears out his observations and complaints.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
^^If you've been a member since '08, may you SHOULD HAVE visited the RLX forum before buying to read about the experience of RL owners who were discussing their intention to wait for the glitches to be worked out, waiting for the prices to come down and waiting for the Sport Hybrid. Those who did their homework are very happy and don't spend their days posting negativity ad nauseam.

I'm done with you. I apologize to the mods and other members for my previous few posts. I've started typing that very response the holographique many time before and then deleted it and just felt it needed to be said.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

What's with all the negativity on the forum lately? Even I'm starting to feel sour reading about this, and about the Ramblings crew taking over every thread RLXSH makes.

Just as I was feeling great about finishing my taxes, too. Hmph. (Taxes are yet another reason I love my SH--business tax deduction, yeah!).

Bottom line, holographique can express his opinion. Yes, it can get tiring, but that's where he is and I'm used to seeing it. We all know Acura put out garbage in 2014, and that has to be said. I'm sure people are tired of my bitching about fuel economy in this car too, but some days, that's where I am; despite that I just get out and flog our awesome hybrid drivetrain, which is my favorite aspect of the Sport Hybrid. . In any case, we come here to both vent and celebrate and the words we choose set one another off.

I think everyone (me included) needs to get outside and drive some of that frustration off, even if it leads to a little extra fuel wasted. If you can't, we have an "ignore" button.

I'm out.....and gonna wash the salt off my whip and take it for a nice Cleveland-style drive.

Can we hug it out, now?

Last edited by neuronbob; 03-06-2016 at 02:26 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by neuronbob:
bronx1480 (03-08-2016), hondamore (03-06-2016), JM2010 SH-AWD (03-07-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Guys, guys, guys! Let's take it easy. Like Dr. Bob said, we have enough issues with the Ramblings numskulls giving us trouble. Lets keep things friendly here. It is expected we are going to have different opinions on just about everything. Lets just sprinkle a little kindness if we can. I think we can all agree that we too would likely feel fairly irritated if we spent $60k+ on a product that blew our expectations. I think it is fine to share frustrations. Maybe I am trying to be too much of a team player. I just feel bad for him and wish there was a way to make things better.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
bronx1480 (03-08-2016), JM2010 SH-AWD (03-07-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 06:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb USA 2day

If your goal is to be envy of your neighborhood, throw money around or otherwise show off, the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid is probably not for you. It's not a car for people who want to advertise their wealth.

But if you found success relatively young, care about how much your car pollutes and/or want the satisfaction of driving a large luxury car without being ostentatious, The RLX Hybrid Sport might be just the ticket.

It is competent without being flashy or gimmick filled. It can't park itself, and it won't drive itself. It's more for people who like to drive, and it drives well.

The Acura RLX is the flagship sedan of Honda's luxury brand. And the fact that it's a hybrid and has a sportier feel than the usual luxury barge helps give a youthful edge to what otherwise would be lumped together with other full-size rolling sofas at the country-club retiree crowd. It's not alone in the field. It competes against the Lexus GS 450h, Infiniti Q70 Hybrid and BMW ActiveHybrid 5.

All are nice cars, and like the RLX, they have genteel designs that are clean and sleek but won't exactly make hearts race. In the case of RLX, the luxury comes understated.

Where RLX attempts to stand out is in performance and handling. The all-wheel-drive sedan has a 310-horsepower direct-injected 3.5-liter V-6 engine that, when combined with the electric motors from the hybrid system, produces 377 horsepower total. Yet the fuel economy is downright miserly considering all the power and the weight of a full-size car. It is rated at 28 miles per gallon in the city, 32 mpg on the highway, for an average of 30 mpg, 6 mpg more than the non-hybrid version. The downside is the battery eats into its trunk space.

As a hybrid, it switches easily between electric and engine power without the jarring that comes in some cars. RLX is so quiet that at one point we shifted the car in park but didn't realize we hadn't pushed the ignition button to turn it off. Some nice passers-by came in the building where we were having a meeting to warn us that our car was still running. We wonder if hybrids like it need better warning sounds, like the buzzers or chimes, to make sure that drivers shut down their power systems after parking.

Out on the blacktop, RLX is at its best. Power is impressive, especially for passing. The car rockets from 70 miles per hour to 85 mph with barely a whisper. Not many sedans have that kind of performance in the upper range. Acura is most proud of what it calls its torque-vectoring system, which shifts power to different wheels as needed to help the all-wheel-drive system move confidently through turns. While RLX is far from having sports-car handling, it responds quickly. The sedan goes right where you aim it, even when it is pushed hard.

While Acura has small luxury features like heated rear seats and window shades, it also had some big ones. The "surround view" 4-way camera was handy while parking. And it has a full suite of safety gear. While the mirrors have blind-spot detection to warn drivers of unsafe lane changes, we miss the feature that's become common in the Honda lineup: LaneWatch. That's the camera in the right-hand mirror that shows drivers an over-the-shoulder image on the center screen before they try to move into a right lane. Yes, the feature is now known in the mainstream lineup, but it still makes sense for Acura's luxury cars.

All in all, RLX fulfills the role of a luxury flagship. But it's aimed at the confident few, not show-offs.
What stands out

Power: Accelerates with confidence

Glitz: More substance than flash

Style: Nice, but won't turn heads

2016 Acura RLX SH-AWD

What? A full-size luxury sedan with a hybrid powertrain and all-wheel-drive

When? On sale now

Where? Sayama, Japan

How much? base price $66,870 with the "advance package," including $920 shipping

What makes it go? 3.5-liter direct-injected V-6 plus electric motors

How big? 16.3 feet long

How thirsty: Rated at 28 miles per gallon in the city, 32 mpg on the highway and 30 mpg overall

Overall: Classy, yet understated
Old 03-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by neuronbob
What's with all the negativity on the forum lately? Even I'm starting to feel sour reading about this, and about the Ramblings crew taking over ....
That part of the site is pretty bad, and the people who frequent it are not a good example of life.

I've fought my way through that kind of crowd many times since I started frequenting discussions back in 1998.

I just stay out of there, and I hope you keep them out of here.

To be honest.

Just point them to Facebook. :-)
RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-13-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 02:00 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
I am not a big fan of USA Today but I must say that the above review is pretty good. It summaries most of the important points and their evaluation of the brand and the image of the car seem right on point. I hope Acura reads it since the current RLX doesn't fit the "precision crafted design" marketing line they seem are hyping in the new ads. They need a MMC refresh for the 2017 model.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-15-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts
Great review of the RLX SHAWD

https://youtu.be/InW6IB5incg

The review echoes my assessment of this car. I have driven it for ~1500 miles, including a 750 mile drive, and it has been a pleasure.
For anyone on the fence, please do yourself a favor and take the plunge. Even at its price it is a great value over its competitors.

Last edited by rick sambora; 03-15-2016 at 12:00 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by rick sambora:
fsmith (03-15-2016), hondamore (03-15-2016), Malibu Flyer (03-15-2016), miner (03-15-2016), neuronbob (03-15-2016), pgeorg (03-15-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-15-2016), teh CL (03-15-2016), wstr75 (03-15-2016) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-15-2016, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

The reviewer gets this drivetrain. Kudos for an intelligent review.

And yes. This car is a sleeper. In fact, a picture of the SH needs to be next to the dictionary entry for "sleeper".

Moved to the review thread.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:35 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Finally! This guy gets it. He should be hired to run Acura's marketing department. Message = sleeper = fun to drive luxury.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-16-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 06:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Another review from the Phillipines. It sounds more like a Honda infomercial than anything else, but here it is....

pgeorg (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Grandpa

I believe this is the first time I've heard any reviewer talk about the external design of the RLX/Legend as "flowing" or "gliding" in any way, shape or form.

:-)

And did I miss it, or is the reviewer not mentioning the 47 HP front electric motor?
Old 04-16-2016, 05:44 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Not a bad review, pretty light and he does err a few details. But nice to see RLX reviews still trickle out. I have read / heard the RLX mentioned more via NSX and now SH MDX coverage than on the RLX itself, of it's own merits.

hondamore (04-16-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-19-2016), TSX69 (05-23-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 06:01 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Interesting. In Korea, the LEGEND is a rebadged Acura RLX PAWS. That's a twist. And the LEGEND is no longer exclusively a Sport Hybrid. Note the SH fog lights and turn signals on the PAWS version. Should we see this on the 2017 RLX PAWS? And another LH Drive opportunity for LEGEND floor mats!

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 04-16-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:24 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Korean chicks dig the semi autonomous driving features... Oh, the Korean LEGEND is definitely a rebadged RLX PAWS....the rear seat armrest is the North American low rent version.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Korean TV confuses me. Apparently these motorheads think PAWS is akin to a ballerina. In fact, they take one for a drive and she explains toe in and toe out is an auto arabesque. Meanwhile, back in the studio, they coyly try hide the family resemblance of the Honda models by covering the H badge on the grille of the LEGEND. The woman host is confused, since jewel eyes are unfamiliar to her and all cars must look like Accords. Then one of the dudes, not sure which, proposes to her and she nearly vomits.... Time for commercial break: Since American women have many dogs, which smell, it is best for Koreans to have a robotic dog and there is no need for anti-urine spray. Back to the studio: now bored with Hondas, they hosts discuss how cars look like pets (do all pets look like Accords?). But then they decide to compare people to cars. Hugh Hefner is a Bently coupe and fat western men are VW Beetles. The woman host, is not impressed with Marilyn Monroe, but the old guy, with a dog, makes her horny. They then move on to the inspiration of Subaru commercials which is a dog driving a Mini while listening to rap music. They decide since driving dogs are all the rage, they develop a line of dog car accessories. Finally, they wrap up in true auto journalistic fashion, by returning to the opening topic of Honda, which they conclude, has gone to the dogs.

Oh, and why do they need a sound effect for every freakin screen pop up message???

Old 04-16-2016, 07:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

She's baaaaack! This chcik REALLY likes the Legend.

HEY WAIT! She made the upper dash screen a TOUCH screen! She's too friggin' short to even reach it!

The dude tells us what we already know. Its a good car, but better if it is a Sport Hybrid or at least a mechanical SHAWD.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:33 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

This guy seems very thorough. But I really just like the Foundations ("Build me up Buttercup") opener. Groovy

Old 04-16-2016, 07:42 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Here we have two underage hosts who cannot drive. SO they ask the Korean Stig, who also laments the loss of SHAWD. I cannot tell if he feels PAWS is a reasonable replacement, but I do know he thinks "Big Girls Are Beautiful!"

Old 04-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

OK, I am almost out of We MUST have a Korean speaking member on this board somewhere!

Check out the Infotainment interface around 2:30 - Movies and TV! The driver in the second half was in another video I posted, but this one is much more detailed. He drives the PAWS pretty spiritedly. He also misses SHAWD.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
hope not a duplicate post

Acura RLX Sport Hybrid: A Surprise Sleeper

Check out this video on YouTube:

Malibu Flyer (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Review!

Originally Posted by crxb
hope not a duplicate post

Acura RLX Sport Hybrid: A Surprise Sleeper

Check out this video on YouTube:

Acura RLX Sport Hybrid: A Surprise Sleeper - YouTube
One of the most intelligent and absolutely best review on the RLX Sport-Hybrid I've encountered. Just wish that Acura could now get their styling act together...
Old 05-14-2016, 11:19 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
I have to agree this review really nails the Sport Hybrid.

It is unfortunate that Acura made the PAWS RLX. In my opinion they should have just made the Sport Hybrid. The PAWS model, with all of the initial problems and quirks tarnished the RLX as a model. Also, with the limited production numbers of Sport Hybrids few people have driven or bought the car. The Sport Hybrid is one of the best keep secrets Acura has ever made.

Opinions and analysis aside, I am just sitting back, with a broad smile on my face, enjoying the time I spend in the driver's seat of my Sport Hybrid.
The following 5 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
a35tl (05-17-2016), fsmith (05-15-2016), hondamore (05-15-2016), TampaRLX-SH (05-15-2016), wstr75 (05-15-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

If your goal is to be envy of your neighborhood, throw money around or otherwise show off, the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid is probably not for you. It's not a car for people who want to advertise their wealth.

But if you found success relatively young, care about how much your car pollutes and/or want the satisfaction of driving a large luxury car without being ostentatious, The RLX Hybrid Sport might be just the ticket.

It is competent without being flashy or gimmick filled. It can't park itself, and it won't drive itself. It's more for people who like to drive, and it drives well.

The Acura RLX is the flagship sedan of Honda's luxury brand. And the fact that it's a hybrid and has a sportier feel than the usual luxury barge helps give a youthful edge to what otherwise would be lumped together with other full-size rolling sofas at the country-club retiree crowd. It's not alone in the field. It competes against the Lexus GS 450h, Infiniti Q70 Hybrid and BMW ActiveHybrid 5.

All are nice cars, and like the RLX, they have genteel designs that are clean and sleek but won't exactly make hearts race. In the case of RLX, the luxury comes understated.

Where RLX attempts to stand out is in performance and handling. The all-wheel-drive sedan has a 310-horsepower direct-injected 3.5-liter V-6 engine that, when combined with the electric motors from the hybrid system, produces 377 horsepower total. Yet the fuel economy is downright miserly considering all the power and the weight of a full-size car. It is rated at 28 miles per gallon in the city, 32 mpg on the highway, for an average of 30 mpg, 6 mpg more than the non-hybrid version. The downside is the battery eats into its trunk space.

As a hybrid, it switches easily between electric and engine power without the jarring that comes in some cars. RLX is so quiet that at one point we shifted the car in park but didn't realize we hadn't pushed the ignition button to turn it off. Some nice passers-by came in the building where we were having a meeting to warn us that our car was still running. We wonder if hybrids like it need better warning sounds, like the buzzers or chimes, to make sure that drivers shut down their power systems after parking.

Out on the blacktop, RLX is at its best. Power is impressive, especially for passing. The car rockets from 70 miles per hour to 85 mph with barely a whisper. Not many sedans have that kind of performance in the upper range. Acura is most proud of what it calls its torque-vectoring system, which shifts power to different wheels as needed to help the all-wheel-drive system move confidently through turns. While RLX is far from having sports-car handling, it responds quickly. The sedan goes right where you aim it, even when it is pushed hard.

While Acura has small luxury features like heated rear seats and window shades, it also had some big ones. The "surround view" 4-way camera was handy while parking. And it has a full suite of safety gear. While the mirrors have blind-spot detection to warn drivers of unsafe lane changes, we miss the feature that's become common in the Honda lineup: LaneWatch. That's the camera in the right-hand mirror that shows drivers an over-the-shoulder image on the center screen before they try to move into a right lane. Yes, the feature is now known in the mainstream lineup, but it still makes sense for Acura's luxury cars.

All in all, RLX fulfills the role of a luxury flagship. But it's aimed at the confident few, not show-offs.
What stands out

Power: Accelerates with confidence

Glitz: More substance than flash

Style: Nice, but won't turn heads

2016 Acura RLX SH-AWD

What? A full-size luxury sedan with a hybrid powertrain and all-wheel-drive

When? On sale now

Where? Sayama, Japan

How much? base price $66,870 with the "advance package," including $920 shipping

What makes it go? 3.5-liter direct-injected V-6 plus electric motors

How big? 16.3 feet long

How thirsty: Rated at 28 miles per gallon in the city, 32 mpg on the highway and 30 mpg overall

Overall: Classy, yet understated
Subtlety & understatement cloaking a sporty, road gripping, fuel saver!
Old 05-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator

You may not get 30 mpg overall--I sure don't. But everything else in that review about this car is 100% true. Just get one if you can get a decent deal, and drive it till the wheels come off.
fsmith (05-23-2016)

Quick Reply: Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)