Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobart
Just signed for a 2018 SH Advance - black/black. Drives like a dream. Makes my 2012 RL feel like a Chrysler K Car.
what did you come from before the RLX? And are you still loving it? I am torn, 3 months left on my TLX Advanced AWD and with new cockpit and TLX more than a year off I am not eager to extend the lease. The head unit to me is the biggest turn off on the RLX, adding android auto would her went miles to winning people over I think. Of course the RLX does not handle like my TLX, but it has such a nic luxurious ride and interior.

Thx.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Red face Ny

Short Report: 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid Review - NY Daily News

Short Report: Acura gives luxury car buyers new reason to choose the 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid, but is it enough?

Acura has reworked the 2018 RLX sedan’s front styling from the windshield forward, giving it the “diamond pentagon” treatment shown on the TLX sedan and MDX SUV.

(Speedy Daddy Media, Inc.)BY Christian WardlawNEW YORK DAILY NEWSMonday, July 2, 2018, 10:00 AM
Acura’s revamped 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid suffers from dissociative identity disorder.Get in, push the engine start button, and set off on a typical commute, and the car drives like a big, cushy Buick of yesteryear. Jab the Sport driving mode button, turn onto a favorite stretch of twisty road, and you’ll suddenly find yourself behind the wheel of a legit sport sedan.

Indeed, the updated and upgraded 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid is two cars in one. Under normal driving circumstances, it is plush, quiet, and all kinds of comfortable for up to five people. It drives like the nicest Honda Accord you can imagine.Choose Sport mode, and the car’s demeanor changes. Speed from the NSX sports car-based drivetrain is effortless, making it a good thing that in spite of significant styling improvements, the latest RLX remains a wallflower on the road.

In addition to revised design that aligns the RLX with Acura’s MDX SUV and TLX sedan, the Sport Hybrid flagship comes in a single level of specification and costs more then $4,000 less than it did before.

Additionally, the RLX Sport Hybrid features redesigned seats as well as a new Traffic Jam Assist function as part of the car’s standard AcuraWatch suite of driver assistance and collision avoidance systems. Fresh paint colors, a new interior color, and upgraded interior materials summarize the changes for 2018.

Supreme comfort for all

Acura says the 2018 RLX has new seats wrapped in Milano premium leather, and in the Sport Hybrid version they’re ventilated for extra comfort.

(Speedy Daddy Media, Inc.)
My family and I picked the RLX up at the airport.

After 9 days of traveling, we’d checked out of a Washington D.C. hotel, spent mid-day with friends at their home in the hot and muggy Maryland suburbs, survived an Uber to Dulles in an ancient Prius driven by a man who loved listening to ‘80s hair metal bands, and then flew to Los Angeles.

Naturally, after stepping off the packed parking lot shuttle bus at LAX, this Brilliant Red Metallic RLX Sport Hybrid beckoned like the sanctuary it was for the final 45-mile leg of our journey home.

What I’d forgotten, though, is that the Sport Hybrid drive train chews into trunk space. With just 12 cubic feet of volume, I was sure that we suddenly had a problem. Thankfully, I was wrong.

Acura, perhaps anticipating the needs of a traveling family, has designed the trunk to hold 2full-size suitcases flat, side-by-side, leaving space for smaller roll-aboards and duffel bags on top and backpacks to the sides.

In any case, our luggage fit, and we eagerly clambered aboard to find soothing seating. While a day of wearying travel may have predisposed us to highly rate the RLX’s new seats, the impression held all through the entire week with the car, especially when chilly coastal California temperatures required the seat heaters and hot summer sunshine required the ventilated front chairs.

Acura’s soft premium Milano leather, perforated and contrast piped, lends the cabin an appropriately luxurious feel. Quality permeates the interior, the sole exception the somewhat rickety center console storage bin lid operation.

Comfort levels are outstanding, front and rear. This is a roomy car and larger inside than traditional mid-size luxury sedans such as the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Cadillac CTS, Jaguar XF, Lexus GS, and Mercedes-Benz E-Class. In fact, I’d say the Acura RLX’s primary competitors include the Cadillac CT6 and XTS, Genesis G80, Infiniti Q70, Kia K900, and Lincoln Continental.

Exceptionally safe, but in need of new infotainment

There is nothing wrong with the 2018 Acura RLX’s interior that a redesigned infotainment system wouldn’t resolve.

When you upgrade from the standard RLX to the RLX Sport Hybrid, you gain more than just a brilliant drivetrain. Every Sport Hybrid is equipped with Advance trim, which means it comes with everything Acura offers.

Highlights include electric climate control with an air quality sensor, a 14-speaker Krell premium sound system, a heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats, heated outboard rear seats, rear door and back window sun shades, a head-up display, front and rear parking sensors, and a 360-degree surround view camera system.

AcuraWatch is standard on both RLX models. It includes adaptive cruise control with low-speed following capability, Traffic Jam Assist lane centering and distance maintenance for congested commutes, forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning with lane keeping assist, and a Road Departure Mitigation system designed to prevent a driver from running off the road. A blind spot monitoring system is also standard for the RLX.

Though the RLX sells in extremely small numbers, both the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) have performed crash testing on this car.

The IIHS gives it a “Top Safety Pick” rating, while the NHTSA gives the front-drive RLX a 5-star overall rating – and with 5-star ratings in each individual assessment. Due to its unique powertrain, the NHTSA does rate the RLX Sport Hybrid for frontal-impact crash protection.

So then, the RLX is clearly a safe car. But what about its infotainment system?

I’m not a fan of Acura’s dual-screen infotainment system design. To use the uppermost display, deeply recessed into the dashboard, the driver must fiddle with 9 different buttons and a knob located somewhat low on the center control panel. The lower display is a touchscreen blending certain stereo and certain climate controls. There is some overlap between the screens in terms of what they display, too.

As a result, I often forget which screen does what, and that’s distracting. Furthermore, I own an Acura with this infotainment setup, and its 1 of my least favorite things about the vehicle.

Sport Hybrid drivetrain based on NSX engineering

Supplying plenty of power and torque, the RLX Sport Hybrid’s drivetrain is based on the same setup used in the NSX sports car.

Acura’s Sport Hybrid powertrain is 1 of the best-kept secrets in the automotive universe. Aside from the NSX sports car, it is available in the MDX SUV and the RLX sedan, and it is terrific.

To create it, Acura pairs the RLX’s standard 3.5-liter V6 engine with three electric motors, a lithium-ion battery, a 7-speed dual-clutch automated manual transmission with paddle shifters, and regenerative brakes to keep the battery juiced. One of the electric motors is within the transmission housing, helping to power the car’s front wheels. The other two are located side by side at the rear axle, effectively giving the RLX Sport Hybrid a torque-vectoring Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive (SH-AWD) system.

Combined, these components produce 377 horsepower and 341 lb.-ft. of torque, improvements of 67 hp and 69 lb.-ft. over the standard 3.5-liter V6. Weight gain amounts to 403 pounds, weight distribution improves from 61:39 front-to-rear to 57:43, and the EPA fuel economy rating soars from 23 mpg in combined driving to 28 mpg.

Drive the car in Normal mode, and the RLX Sport Hybrid is quick but a bit lazy. This is by design. The rear electric motors get the car launched, and if you’re light on the throttle can power the car at lower speeds for short distances, preserving fuel in heavy traffic and shopping mall parking lots. Push harder on the accelerator pedal and the gas engine fires up, adding thrust and momentum.

This delay in gasoline engine activation takes some getting used to, as does the regenerative braking system, which gives the brake pedal a firm, stiff, and somewhat artificial feel. It doesn’t take long to acclimate. However, if after driving the car for a while you’re still bothered by the RLX Sport Hybrid’s launch character, switch to Sport mode. That solves it, and makes the car feel faster and more responsive at all times.

During my week driving the RLX, I left it in Normal mode the majority of the time. This was perfect for city, suburban, and highway driving, the Acura wafting about and cocooning its occupants in blessed silence.

While driving on my test loop, I switched to Sport mode for the most entertaining sections of road, and it was here that this version of the RLX most surprised me.

First, the added weight of the electric motors and the battery does more than improve the weight distribution. It also lowers the center of gravity. This, in combination with excellent roll control and 245/40 high-performance all-season tires makes the RLX Sport Hybrid exceptionally fun to toss into a corner.

Then, at the apex, when you roll off the brake pedal and back onto the accelerator, you can feel the dual rear electric motors vectoring torque as the rear end digs in and squirts the car out and down the next straightaway.

The result is a remarkably enjoyable car to drive on any public road. All that’s missing is an adaptive damping suspension that could help to eliminate some of the vertical ride motions that can make passengers woozy, and a tighter turning radius to ensure successful U-turns in urban areas.

Don’t expect to hit the EPA fuel economy estimates, though. My test vehicle returned 24.8 mpg on my usual loop, well below the official number of 28 mpg. After a week of driving, the trip computer read 26.4 mpg.

Irresistible owner services and social proof necessary to move the RLX needle

You’re looking at 1 of the most underrated luxury cars in America. But until Acura makes the RLX truly irresistible, and until the car benefits from the social proof that made the Legend such a hit decades ago, it may never emerge from the shadows.

Back in 1996, Acura changed its flagship luxury car’s name from Legend to 3.5RL, and then simply to RL, and then to RLX. For more than 20 years, since that original name change, the car has languished on the sidelines, its impressive engineering and exceptional value equation utterly ignored by all but the most ardent of Acura fans.

This latest effort to inject new life into the RLX is more successful than past attempts, and I have no doubt that lots of luxury sedan buyers would love this car’s excellent Sport Hybrid drivetrain, outstanding comfort, and proven safety.

Unfortunately, though, without standout styling, more gee-whiz-bang technology, greater ownership benefits similar to what Genesis and Lincoln provide, and perhaps most important of all, brand cachet supported by social proof, the Acura RLX will continue to be a low-volume alternative made for a select few who can appreciate its unique charms.
The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
hondamore (07-02-2018), Malibu Flyer (07-02-2018), neuronbob (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 05:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^
Exactly my opinion of the car, especially his comments about fuel economy and the last paragraph. It's a fabulous car that no one knows about. Hopefully, Acura can do something about that.
The following users liked this post:
KeithL (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
...survived an Uber to Dulles in an ancient Prius driven by a man who loved listening to ‘80s hair metal bands....
I believe I have met this man!! ROFL....
Old 10-16-2018, 10:21 AM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Legend... Wait For It... by Pinoy ENZO TEODORO

Interesting review from overseas. Mugen goodies look simple yet great!

But I would never drive my car in muddy areas like that.

https://www.opusmacchina.com/vault/2...a-legend-mugen
review

LEGEND... WAIT FOR IT...

ENZO TEODOROSEPTEMBER 01, 2016
Yes. Wait. Let's get one thing straight first. When you are spending close to 3 million pesos or more on a car, you are probably looking for something with an x factor. Whether you are in the pursuit of speed or luxury, the car you are buying will most certainly have an ace up its sleeve. If you're looking for something that eats asphalt for breakfast, you might be looking at Subaru's WRX STI. If you're looking for something to waft you to church, you might be looking at a Lexus ES350.

You might even want a bit of both, so you fork over north of 4 million pesos and get a yourself a BMW 5 Series. Strangely, I don't think anyone wakes up in the morning and says, "I've worked hard the last two decades. I have about 4.5 million pesos to burn and I'm going to gift myself a car. I'm not going to have a Mercedes-Benz, I'm going to get myself a Honda". There lies the huge problem. You see, right about the only time a Japanese car will ever make any sense in that sentence is if you substitute 'Honda' with 'Toyota Land Cruiser'. Otherwise, it all falls apart.

You see, the Honda Legend is actually a very good car. It's a mammoth on the road, it has trick hybrid technology, it has a 7-speed dual clutch gearbox, it's got a bombastic engine, and it's quite the looker with its bejeweled LED headlights. However, there are immediate problems. The first thing is the price. At almost 4.4 million pesos without the Yamaguchijewelry aka the Mugen kit, it's way too expensive.

At twice the price of a Honda Accord V6, I at least want it to look and feel like twice the car - but somehow it doesn't. Now some are going to say, "but it has a trick hybrid system", which is true. It does have a hybrid motor, and when it has enough juice, you can actually start it and drive off propelled by electricity like a spectre in the night.

"THE VERY ESSENCE OF A HYBRID SYSTEM IS TO SAVE FUEL."

However, there is another problem. The very essence of a hybrid system is to save fuel, but I am too distracted to even bother at how much it has actually saved, when it's returning a combined cycle of 5.9 km/L. That would have been fine, if I were chowing down asphalt like an STI, but I wasn't. I kept my speed at the very maximum of 120 km/h.

And you wouldn't really enjoy driving quickly in this car, because apart from its size, it transmission has a mind of its own. It has paddles so that I can override it, but it only allows me to shift when it feels like it. In fact, even in full automatic mode, it seems to confuse itself. Sometimes, it just likes to stay at 4,500 rpm... Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

If you learn to forget about all of those variables, you'll soon accept that you are inside something cool. For starters, it's so quiet inside the cabin. The insulation is top notch, and that trickles to its noise, vibration, and harshness rating. The engine is so smooth and so quiet, that if you had the radio on, you wouldn't be able to hear it fire up when the batteries decide to rest. The interior is also quite nice. Is it 4.5 million pesos nice? Not really.

I think this is what the Honda Accord should look like if it is to dominate the segment. I especially love the fully customized 14-speaker Krell audio system. At first it sounded a bit too flat and underwhelming, but once you get the settings right depending on the genre of music you're listening to, it's quite the system. Low frequency bass is excellent and there's a lot of separation through the speakers. Premium stuff.

"IT'S ALSO SO SPACIOUS INSIDE, THAT YOU START TO FORGIVE ITS QUIRKS."

Then there's the ride, which is great. It irons out bumps nicely and the dampers really flatten the car out in harsh road undulations. Unfortunately, I can't say it rides much better than a Toyota Camry does. What it offers though, is a sense of occasion and a ton of space.

Whether you are behind the wheel or not, you know that there's a bigger chance you're going to bump into a Porsche than another one of these on the road. It's also so spacious inside, that you start to forgive its quirks. Plus, you're going to love the puzzled stares people give when you're running on a dead combustion engine.

"IF YOU MANAGE TO BUMP IT STILL, THEY NEED TO REVOKE YOUR LICENSE."

I loved the toys too. The cameras really spoil you. They really help you squeeze this giant with precision through our tiny city streets. If you manage to bump it still, they need to revoke your license. As great as some of those features were, some of warning lights and lane change wizardry need to be toned down even in their least intrusive setting. On the highway, the system kept going hysterical, thinking I was going to crash into every single car that I was overtaking.

It may have been too busy minding my business that it has forgotten to shift gears at the right time. Besides, if I can't overtake cars, what's the point of having 380 horses under the hood? Speaking of power, when you push the car hard with electric assistance, you feel the loss of power once Nikola's invention runs out of juice. It has this wave of torque that feels superior to the surge of combustion.

"IF YOU CAN LIVE WITH SPENDING THAT KIND OF MONEY ON A HONDA THAT DOESN'T READ THE LETTERS NSX, THEN YOU'RE FINE."

I infer that the important question here isn't if it is a good car, because it obviously is. The bigger question is if you'd actually buy one. Well, If you can live with spending that kind of money on a Honda that doesn't read the letters NSX, then you're fine. For this car to achieve true greatness, what it needs to do is slash a cool million from its price tag. Until then, it will remain to be one of Honda's most polarizing cars, which is a bit sad, really.

I truly enjoyed driving it around. No other car can bring your Yakuza fantasies to life better than this one, especially in full Mugen flavor. I think I even started referring to myself as Yamaguchi-san. As for me, I like to think of it as Salmon Sashimi. There is no faulting the Japanese delicacy's excellence. It is a great dish no matter how you look at it, but if you are going to charge Foie Gras money for it, I'm having Foie Gras tonight.

NO BODIES WERE FOUND IN THE YARD.

2016 HONDA LEGEND 3.5 SPORT HYBRID SH-AWD MUGEN

Engine:Earth Dreams Technology, 3,471cc, SOHC 24V, i-VTEC V6 with Variable Cylinder Management,
Naturally Aspirated with 3-Motor Hybrid SystemFuel:GasolinePower:380 bhp @ 6,500 rpm
Torque:462 Nm @ 4,700 rpmTransmission:7-Speed Dual Clutch, AWD0-100 km/h:5.4 secondsTop Speed:249 km/hFuel Economy:5.9 km/L
Overall:
Price:PHP4,380,000 (standard, non-Mugen)+:
Power, space, tech, standard equipment-:
Transmission needs work, too thirsty for a hybrid, and way too expensive
Verdict:A great car trapped in a hefty price tag
Rating:8/10

ENZO TEODORO
Old 10-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Grandpa

A carbon fibre Mugen lip that blade juts out from the nose.

No, I don't think I could deal with that. :-) Too much potential for an expensive little parking accident, cameras notwithstanding.

The OEM Modulo wheels look better, too, IMHO.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:57 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
From mother JDM land. Interesting read. Make sure you open the link in Chrome and it gets translated.

https://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs...html#028_s.jpg

Nice calling "4 - door NSX"

And this another reason JDM will always be the best. Look how the options are presented. 8 colors!! Do we have that in Acura dealerships?!

I miss the silver a lil bit now. lol
... Legend conversion here we go!

Old 08-17-2020, 06:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow vs G90

https://www.kbb.com/comparison/2020-...lx-comparison/

2020 Genesis G90 vs. 2020 Acura RLX Comparison

By Matt DeLorenzo
August 14, 2020The 2020 Genes G90 and 2020 Acura RLX may top the model range of their respective upscale brands, but offer unique approaches to luxury. Here’s how they differ.

2020 Genesis G90

2020 Genesis G90 Starting Price: $73,915 | Price Yours or View listings near you

Above Average: A luxury sedan at a more reasonable price that comes with impressive features and good looks. It is also available with all-wheel drive.

Below Average: Some high-tech features are missing, and there’s a lack of status behind the Genesis name.

Consensus: The 2020 Genesis G90 compares handily to other, pricier German vehicles and, in some cases, outdoes them. New, bolder styling gives the G90 a distinctive look.

2020 Acura RLX

2020 Acura RLX Price: $55,925 | Price Yours or View listings near you

Above Average: Available AWD hybrid powertrain; comfortable ride; lower cost.

Below Average: Standard front-drive; aging design; last year of production.

Consensus: The 2021 Acura RLX ends its run as Honda’s upscale division’s full-size sedan offering. While the base front-drive model may underwhelm, the NSX-derived AWD hybrid powertrain merits consideration.

G90 vs. RLX: First and last of their kind

Genesis G90

The 2020 Genesis G90 might be the most affordable German-car killer you’ve never heard of. This freshly redesigned flagship compares nicely to other luxury marques like BMW, Lexus, and Audi and has plenty of power and features for a great price that makes it incredibly appealing. The only problem: Genesis, as a brand still lacks the cachet. The limousine-like G90 offers a soft and supple ride for up to five passengers. It boasts a quiet interior and ample power from the turbocharged V6, or optional 5.0-liter V8. The G90 also comes with a suite of tech and safety features, including collision avoidance, full-speed adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assist, blind-spot alert, and a 360-degree camera. Genesis offers a valet service that retrieves your G90 for service and leaves you a loaner.

Acura RLX

The 2020 Acura RLX is a full-size sedan that in base front-drive form prizes comfort over performance. The styling inside and out is showing its age and Acura said it is retiring the model at the end of the 2020 run. Still, if you step up to the Sport Hybrid, you’ll find a relatively nimble and powerful all-wheel drive hybrid that packs a combined output of 377 horsepower while delivering nearly 30 mpg You’ll get crisp handling and plenty of performance along with the same comfortable seats found in the base model. The Sport Hybrid carries a sticker of about $62,000 and there are additional features to justify the higher price. Although the pricing is a lot less than other top model sedans in the luxury segment, keep in mind that the RLX is smaller and lacks an arresting exterior design.

Similarities

Both offer all-wheel drive, a standard suite of driver and safety assists along with relatively affordable stickers in an expensive segment.

Genesis G90 Advantages

Availability of a V8 engine and AWD; plenty of cabin comfort; stellar warranty.

Acura RLX Advantages

Base 10-speed automatic; AWD hybrid option; better fuel economy.

Final Recommendation

If you’re looking for value and interesting technology, the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid is worthy of consideration. It also will be the last of its kind. But, if its true luxury you seek in a brand that is beginning to come into its own, then the Genesis G90 is the choice here. It offers what many who seek the ultimate in luxury for thousands less than its German rivals.

Ready to buy a Genesis G90 or Acura RLX? Shop now for one on sale near you.

2020 Genesis G90 2020 Acura RLX Popular Powertrains

Engine 3.3-liter turbo V6 3.5-liter V6 Horsepower 365 hp @ 6,000 rpm 310 hp @ 6,500 rpm Torque 276 lb-ft @ 1300 rpm 272 lb-ft @ 4,500 rpm Transmission 8-spd automatic 10-spd automatic Fuel Economy 20 mpg (17 city,/25 hwy) 23 mpg (20 city/29 hwy) Also Available 5.0-liter V8 AWD hybrid Specs

Warranty 5 years/ 60,000 miles 4 years/50,000 miles NHTSA Overall Safety Rating n/a n/a Max Seating Capacity 5 5 Wheelbase 124.4 inches 112.2 inches Overall Length 204.9 inches 198.1 inches Width 75.4 inches 74.4 inches Height 58.9 inches 57.7 inches Turning Diameter 39.2 feet 40.5 feet Headroom, Front 41.1 inches 37.6 inches Headroom, Rear 38 inches 36.9 inches Legroom, Front 46.3 inches 42.3 inches Legroom, Rear 37.8 inches 38.8 inches Shoulder Room, Front 59.1 inches 59.6 inches Shoulder Room, Rear 57.9 inches 57.0 inches EPA Passenger Volume 113.2 cu. Ft 102.1 cu. ft. EPA Cargo Volume 15.7 cu. Ft. 14.9 cu. ft.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:55 AM
Grandpa

Even with the six cylinder AWD configuration instead of the eight cylinder, the G90 is going to cost quite a cit more than an RLX Sport Hybrid.

Just something else to think about.

(I'm sure it'll have Car Play though!!)
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
moose66 (08-17-2020), psheu (08-19-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 12:49 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Nice to see the RLX get some good press.

Also, I see the projected TLX-S numbers and they don’t appear to eclipse the RLX SH.

More unicorn status evidence....
The following users liked this post:
psheu (08-19-2020)