Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)

Old 06-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
not sure if this review had been posted

http://ourautoexpert.com/2016-acura-rlx-sport-hybrid-advance-test-drive/
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (06-04-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Press Release

2018 Acura RLX Arrives in Showrooms with Striking Redesign - Acura News
2018 Acura RLX Arrives in Showrooms with Striking Redesign

Nov 6, 2017 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • RLX adopts new Acura design direction reflecting brand's Precision Crafted Performance DNA
  • Top-trim RLX with 377-horsepower1 Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® system now $4,050 less than out-going model
  • New advanced 10-speed automatic transmission standard in RLX with Precision All-Wheel SteeringTM (P-AWS®)
  • Traffic Jam Assist, a driver assistive technology, joins standard AcuraWatch® suite
Acura's top-of-the-line luxury sports sedan, the 2018 RLX, begins arriving in dealer showrooms tomorrow with new front and rear styling inspired by the new Acura design direction and its signature diamond pentagon grille. With a simplified lineup, two models are available—each in a single high-specification trim: The 2018 Acura RLX P-AWS starts with a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP2) of $54,900; The 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWDTM now starts at $61,900, a reduction of $4,050 compared to the out-going model with Advance Package. (Prices exclude $965 destination and other charges.) All-new seats are now available in a rich Espresso leather and two new premium exterior paint options are available for the 1st time on RLX.

The 2018 Acura RLX showcases the brand's Precision Crafted Performance DNA in two distinct high-performance powertrains, making it the most powerful Acura after the NSX supercar. With the most performance of any Acura sedan, the RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWDTM seamlessly integrates a direct-injected V-6 with three electric motors and Super Handling All-Wheel DriveTM for instant acceleration, outstanding all-weather performance and precise handling. The RLX Sport Hybrid delivers 377 peak total system horsepower and 341 lb.-ft. peak total system torque with its powertrain sharing its basic concept and some components with the NSX supercar. Also available is the 2018 Acura RLX P-AWS with Precision All-Wheel SteeringTM (P-AWS ), powered by a 3.5-liter Direct Injection SOHC i-VTEC V-6 engine delivering peak horsepower of 310 (SAE net) and 272 lb.-ft. of peak torque (SAE net) and mated to a new 10-speed automatic transmission delivering a more responsive and refined driving experience.

The 2018 Acura RLX P-AWS has EPA fuel economy ratings of 20/29/23 mpg, and the 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid came in at 28/29/28 mpg (city/highway/combined)3.

2018 RLX Pricing and EPA Fuel Economy Ratings TrimMSRP1
MSRP Including $965 Destination Charge
EPA MPG Rating3
City/Highway/Combined

RLX P-AWS
$54,900
$55,865
20 / 29 / 23
RLX Sport Hybrid
$61,900
$62,865
28 / 29 / 28

In addition to the diamond pentagon grille, the 2018 Acura RLX design enhancements include a more sculpted hood, new wheel designs, newly designed LED taillights, exposed dual exhaust finishers and gloss black rear diffuser. The 2018 RLX also offers a fresh color pallet with 6 new exterior paint options (seven total) including two new premium colors - Brilliant Red Metallic and Majestic Black Pearl.

Inside, the 2018 Acura RLX receives premium new materials and touchpoints including completely redesigned Milano leather seats with high-contrast, piping and stitching, as well as a new Espresso interior option and available black headliner, all of which add a new level of sophistication to an interior with class-leading space and comfort.

Standard features on the 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid include a head-up display (HUD), premium Krell Audio System with 14 speakers, Surround View Camera, front and rear parking sensors, LED fog lights, remote engine start, ventilated and heated front seats, heated rear outboard seats, heated steering wheel and more.Both 2018 RLX models feature the unique AcuraWatchTM suite of safety and driver-assistive technologies as standard equipment, enhanced by the addition of the new Traffic Jam Assist, a first for Acura. Working in conjunction with Adaptive Cruise Control and Low Speed Follow, Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) reduces driver stress in highly congested traffic situations by helping keep the vehicle centered in the lane and at a set interval from a vehicle detected ahead.

The AcuraWatchTM suite also includes:
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low Speed Follow
  • Collision Mitigation Braking SystemTM (CMBSTM)
  • Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
  • Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS)
  • Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) with Lane Departure Warning (LDW)

For More Information
Additional media information including pricing, specs, features and high-resolution photography is available at
http://acuranews.com/acura-automobiles/channels/rlx.

Consumer information is available at
http://www.acura.com. To join the Acura community on Facebook, visit
Facebook Post
About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive luxury nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance, an original approach to technology and design that creates a new driving experience. The Acura lineup features six distinctive models – the RLX premium luxury sedan, the TLX performance luxury sedan, the ILX sport sedan, the 5-passenger RDX luxury crossover SUV, the seven-passenger Acura MDX, America's all-time best-selling three-row luxury SUV and the second generation NSX supercar as the pinnacle expression of Acura Precision Crafted Performance.

Last edited by TSX69; 11-06-2017 at 01:36 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by TSX69:
getakey (11-06-2017), hondamore (11-06-2017), Malibu Flyer (11-08-2017), moose66 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:37 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
The decision to drop the MSRP for the SH will hopefully help increase sales and quell one of the chief complaints that the price to value proposition was skewed - however it will also most certainly further depress resale values for 2014-2017 SH's....
Old 11-07-2017, 08:53 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Limelight
...resale values for 2014-2017 SH's....
That ship sailed a long time ago.

Sailed...and sank.

:-)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
^^As if the values were not already depressed and depressing!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:01 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by moose66
^^As if the values were not already depressed and depressing!
Luckily, I still love the car for most everything it does. :-)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Luckily, I still love the car for most everything it does. :-)
In agreement with you. Love some of the changes the '18 will have, the exception being the wheels. However, I also love my car and plan to keep it for some time.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb AutoMobileMag

First Drive: 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid Automobile Magazine
1st Drive: 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid

A better look for a familiar face

By: Conner Golden November 13, 2017

WEST HOLLYWOOD, California—With a quick strike of what I assume was a hammer and chisel, the infamous beak is struck from yet another Acura product. For 2018, the Japanese premium automaker refreshed its RLX flagship sedan, sculpting a shiny new face and cramming a handful of updated tech into the cushy four-door. To make sure the rhinoplasty is more than just skin-deep, I spent some quality time with the range-topping RLX Sport Hybird out on the mean streets of WeHo.

The outgoing RLX Sport Hybrid was an inoffensive, if a bit staid way to save a buck or 2 on fuel without dipping your foot too far out of the luxury (or premium) pool or completely giving up the conveniences of internal combustion. 3 years on, Acura returned to the drafting board and sketched a new schnozz, replacing the old silver triangular insert with the same pseudo-pentagonal grille from the recently redesigned MDX and TLX that appears ripped straight from the pixels of a Tempest game.

To compliment the new face, Acura reshaped the hood as well, now wearing prominent ridges near the outer edges. There’s a new rump as well, sporting sharp-looking LED taillights and a subtle black lower diffuser with larger exhaust outlets. Accentuating the redesigned bodywork are 2 new paint colors, Majestic Black Pearl and Brilliant Red Metallic, along with new wheel options. Overall, it’s not as clean as the Germans, but it’s much more visually striking than anything else in the segment from Korea or Japan.

The powertrain mostly carries over from the outgoing RLX, save for a nifty new 10-speed automatic transmission for the regular, non-electrified RLX. Stick to the base level, and that new box is hooked up to the same naturally aspirated 3.5-liter V-6 as before, putting down 310 hp and 272 lb-ft of torque to the front wheels. Hop up to the Sport Hybrid, and the 3.5-liter is augmented by 3 electric motors that combine to create an all-wheel-drive system. These NSX-sourced motors push the total output up to a respectable 377 hp and 341 lb-ft of torque, unchanged from the last year. The 10-speed is absent from the hybrid, but in this case, the 7-speed DCT is responsive enough that we’re not bemoaning the lack of the Honda-sourced 10-speed.

Along with the powertrain, the speed remains the same as well. Merging onto busy California freeways was about as entertaining as it gets in the segment, hitting 60 mph from a dead stop in what feels like the low 5-second mark. Once you’re through hustling, it settles into a cushy cruise, soaking up rotten, disjointed sections of road without levying much fuss on the passengers. Of particular note is the hybrid powertrain’s ability at stalling the engine at speed, maintaining momentum with the electric motors. Once a little gas is applied, the engine kicks back over seamlessly.

Steering is light and neutral, offering a touch more feel than its often overboosted segment-mates. The same cannot be said about the brakes, whose regen capabilities led to the all-too-familiar pedal numbness and overly aggressive engagement. If you’re hoping to explore the “Sport” portion of the Sport Hybrid badge, don’t get too aggressive with the wheel. Out on the famous Snake portion of Mulholland Highway, the SH was out of its element. Both the rear-wheel-steer and the torque vectoring system were helpful, but the chassis was at the mercy of the standard all-season tires, screeching and understeering their way through the route. Slap on even some moderately performance-oriented rubber, and the Sport Hybrid should shape-up.

Inside, the changes are much subtler. Updates for 2018 include updated materials, a new Espresso interior color, new sport seats for the hybrid, and deviated stitching. I loved the sport seats, but was not a big fan of the carry-over infotainment system, avoiding the TLX’s new system with Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Still, aside from a few rather Honda-ish components, it was a nice place to spend stuck in traffic while I put the new Traffic Jam Assist system to the test. Essentially, the car combines lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control to “follow” the car stuck in front of you, making congested commutes much, much easier to swallow. Playing passenger for the second half of the drive, I did not differentiate the system from my partner’s driving until he told me Traffic Assist was doing most of the work.

The price for all this hybrid scuttle starts at $62,865, a $1,950 bump over the outgoing RLX SH. However, the Advance package is standard, adding the top-tier Krell sound system, heated steering wheel, and heated and ventilated seats in the front, among other things. Crunching the numbers, that increase is transforms into a $4,050 discount, at least if you were planning on outfitting your 2017 with the now-standard Advance pack.

It’s far from the most dynamic entry in the mid-size premium and luxury segment, but it’s certainly one of the more interesting of the hybrid bunch. For wide-open roads or freeways slogged with traffic, the 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid is one of the best options for quick, comfortable commutes.2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid Specifications

ON SALENowPRICE$62,865 (base)ENGINE3.5L SOHC 24-valve V-6/310 hp @ 6,500 rpm, 273 lb-ft @ 4,700 rpm plus front electric motor/47 hp @ 3,000 rpm, 109 lb-ft @ 500-2,000 rom and dual rear electric motors/36 hp @ 4,000 and 54 lb-ft @ 0-2,000 rpm; combined/377 hp, 341 lb-ftTRANSMISSION7-speed dual-clutch automaticLAYOUT4-door, 4-passenger, front-engine, AWD sedanEPA MILEAGE28/29 mpg (city/hwy)L x W x H198.1 x 74.4 x 57.7 inWHEELBASE112.2 inWEIGHT4,380 lb0-60 MPH5.1 sec (est)TOP SPEEDN/A

Last edited by TSX69; 11-13-2017 at 02:09 PM.
hondamore (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Grandpa

Here's Alex Dykes "first drive" review.

"First Drive" and it's still 22 minutes. LOL.....

:-)

He comments on a different smoother drive than the pre-MMC KC2. I'll have to go try that.
The following 4 users liked this post by George Knighton:
fsmith (11-15-2017), hondamore (11-13-2017), pgeorg (11-13-2017), TSX69 (11-13-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:54 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb RedLine

Old 11-15-2017, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Cnet

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2...ra-rlx/review/
2018 Acura RLX review:

Acura brings high-tech handling to its luxury hybrid sedan

By Wayne Cunningham
Reviewed: November 14, 2017

3.5*s
The Good With an innovative torque-vectoring, gasoline-electric hybrid power train, the 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid gets plenty of power and impressive handling, while achieving excellent fuel economy. It drives quietly and comfortably, with lane-keeping assist that centers it on the road.
The Bad The navigation system, with its slow inputs and clunky interface, is an exercise in frustration, and the lack of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto doesn't help. Adaptive cruise control feels too sensitive in heavy traffic.
The Bottom Line Acura packs the 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid with impressive features and a cutting-edge power train, making it a very good value, and it would be a truly excellent sedan if it had better cabin electronics.

As the 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid slews around tight turns on Malibu canyon roads in Southern California, I look for any hint that the sedan's active torque vectoring improves the handling. I don't feel any surprising rotation when I twist the wheel around, or the back end moving around more quickly than I might expect.

But after quite a bit of adrenaline-pumping fun, I realize that the RLX Sport Hybrid handles the corners with much more composure than it should. No understeer, just an easy and predictable path through the turns even with the tires squealing, testament to Acura engineers' fine-tuning of the RLX Sport Hybrid's all-wheel-drive system.

Of course, few buyers of a big sedan like this 1 will tackle the turns at speed. Equally good news for that more typical driver is that, after seven hours on the freeway, I felt very little fatigue. The RLX Sport Hybrid lulled me with its comfortable seats and suspension, and its quiet cabin.
Acura gave the RLX Sport Hybrid a bit of a refresh for the 2018 model year, with "all-new sheet metal from the A pillars forward," according to Acura spokesman Matt Sloustcher. That update improves the looks, but doesn't do much for the often frustrating dashboard electronics, including the navigation and stereo interface.

The sedan also shows Acura's limitations as a premium brand, in that the RLX, its top car, competes in the midsize segment, against the likes of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Lexus GS and Audi A6. Acura still doesn't put it cars up against large sedans, such as the Lexus LS or Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

As it is, however, the cabin of the RLX Sport Hybrid feels quite roomy, with loads of legroom for rear-seat passengers. White upholstery, with matching dashboard, wheel and door panels, looks very good accented by glossy wood trim. The console carries push-button drive controls -- no retro shifter in this modern car -- and a single USB port.
What doesn't work for me is the RLX Sport Hybrid's upper LCD and lower touchscreen, with a dial and button pod below further confusing the issue of how to control the infotainment system. Entering destinations for navigation or programming music becomes very convoluted, with duplicative functions and different control interfaces.

The maps showing on the upper LCD look crude compared with the competition. Although I was initially pleased to find a keyboard on the touchscreen for destination entry, the slow response time from the system killed the experience, making it more frustrating. Worse, rather than one-box entry, I had to enter city and street separately for addresses. The only upside to this navigation system is an online search option that works for finding businesses by keyword.

The RLX Sport Hybrid's head-up display provided navigation assistance, showing directions for upcoming turns. However, Acura chose to have it display the car's power train, rather than driver assist information, such as cruise control set speed or following distance.
Not to say that the RLX Sport Hybrid's power train isn't impressive. The system relies on a direct-injection 3.5-liter V6 to drive the front wheels, and dual electric motors at the rear wheels. It's similar to the system in the MDX Sport Hybrid SUV, and a mirror image of that in the NSX, where the electric motors drive the front wheels and the gasoline engine is at the rear.

By itself, the RLX Sport Hybrid's gasoline engine manages 310 horsepower and 272 pound-feet of torque. Add in the electric motors, and Acura puts the total output at 377 horsepower and 341 pound-feet of torque. Power output isn't the most interesting part of the story, as Acura tuned the system to make the rear electric motors exert positive or negative torque to assist handling. For example, power into a turn and twist the wheel, and the system drives the outside rear wheel harder than the inside one to defeat understeer.

In my experience, the RLX Sport Hybrid's torque vectoring resulted in very accurate and comfortable cornering. Despite the fixed suspension, the power train helped to minimize body roll.

As with the NSX, the RLX Sport Hybrid also gets a quick-shifting seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. Using the paddle shifters, I could feel the snappy gear changes when I chose to use it, but found its automated shifting to be programmed very well for performance driving or everyday use. As a quirk of that transmission, the car will roll back when stopped on hills, but Acura helps out with a brake hold function, so I didn't even need to keep my foot on the brake when stopped.

On canyon roads and city streets, I find the car's steering responsive and accurate, with good heft. It falls into the Cinderella range, not too twitchy and not too vague.

While the RLX Sport Hybrid's cabin mutes outside noise well, stepping into the throttle lets a gratifying growl from the engine through, relating action and sound. As a hybrid, the car shuts down its engine during traffic stops and cruises under electric power under certain circumstances, but it always proves ready to go when the light turns green.

Acura uses the hybrid drivetrain to give the RLX Sport Hybrid excellent all-wheel drive, but it also serves the cause of fuel economy. It achieves 28 mpg in the city and 29 mpg highway under EPA testing. After a long highway run, I managed to maintain 29 mpg while driving in the city, pretty impressive given the car's size and power.

I made extensive use of the RLX Sport Hybrid's adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping assist, although the results were mixed. Adaptive cruise control, which uses a radar to match speeds with slower cars ahead, felt a little too sensitive in heavy traffic, responding to minute changes in traffic speed. Although the system works in stop-and-go traffic, bringing the RLX Sport Hybrid to a full stop, I tended to cancel it at slow speeds due to its behavior. At high speed on the freeway, I found it perfectly comfortable.

Lane keeping, where the steering automatically adjusts to keep the car in its lane, worked very well. The system kept the RLX Sport Hybrid well centered between the lane lines, and could almost steer the car itself. For liability reasons, the car flashes a warning if it doesn't detect hands on the wheel over a set amount of time.

To prevent or mitigate crashes, the RLX Sport Hybrid flashes a warning on its head-up display if it detects a potential collision. If the driver doesn't take any action, it will automatically hit the brakes.

Shopping for a 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid is dead easy. There are no options or packages to choose from, as Acura makes this a mono-spec model, with navigation, hybrid all-wheel drive and even a HUD all for $61,900, with a $965 delivery fee. You could step down to the front-wheel-drive standard RLX model, which goes for $54,900, but the hybrid includes so many features, while delivering more power and getting much better fuel economy, it's kind of a no-brainer.

While there's quite a bit to like in the RLX Sport Hybrid, the cabin electronics are inferior to the competition, and lack support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which would mitigate the problems. If the poor interface and functionality would drive you nuts, consider the BMW 5 Series or Audi A6, both of which offer compelling connected infotainment systems. In fact, as a plug-in hybrid, the BMW 530e is an impressive option, although down on power compared with the RLX Sport Hybrid. The Mercedes-Benz E-Class includes more impressive driver assist features, but its turbocharged 4-cylinder engine doesn't really compete. A more direct competitor is the Lexus GS 450h, but it costs more and doesn't offer as much power.

Last edited by TSX69; 11-15-2017 at 12:00 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
hondamore (11-15-2017), jyrtl (12-04-2017), Krlesch (11-15-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Jam Traffic Assist

Malibu Flyer (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
I drive that stretch of Pacific Coast Highway every day and can confirm the difficulty of the car sensing the lanes is a problem [at least in the 2014 Sport Hybrid]. I would have hoped that the improved technology in the 2018 would have done a better job with the lane delineation. Still, the jam traffic assist will help on most of the major freeways. It will be nice not to have to restart the system after it brings you to a halt as you do with the older adaptive cruise control. It represents a small step forward.
wstr75 (11-27-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 07:16 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I drive that stretch of Pacific Coast Highway every day and can confirm the difficulty of the car sensing the lanes is a problem [at least in the 2014 Sport Hybrid]. I would have hoped that the improved technology in the 2018 would have done a better job with the lane delineation. Still, the jam traffic assist will help on most of the major freeways. It will be nice not to have to restart the system after it brings you to a halt as you do with the older adaptive cruise control. It represents a small step forward.
Unfortunately, even 2018 electronics will not be able to keep up with the lanes on a curvy road that's driven at higher speeds...and those higher speeds could be surprisingly low speeds if the road is curvy enough.

Steering is light and neutral, offering a touch more feel than its often overboosted segment-mates. The same cannot be said about the brakes, whose regen capabilities led to the all-too-familiar pedal numbness and overly aggressive engagement.
These sentences stand out in one of the reviews above, and caused me to stop reading that review.

I believe the sentences indicate someone who is performing a job instead of someone who is taking a real interest in the vehicle, and taking an interest in providing real feedback.

Neutral steering? What the hell is neutral steering? Neutral handling is something about which we speak, but referring to neutral steering [sic] indicates a lack of attention or a lack of command of English.

And if a reviewer thinks that the KC2's brakes are numb or overly aggressive, then he is not driving many hybrids, and he has certainly never driven the pre-production KC2 that we drove, the car that we all said was too sensitive with the brakes.

The NSX Sport Hybrid and the RLX Sport Hybrid have great brake feel considering that the "feel" is 100% artificial and provided by an electronically regulated solenoid.

Nonsense.

People need to keep their mouths shut if they're just going to be making up crap
The following 7 users liked this post by George Knighton:
fsmith (11-21-2017), hondamore (11-21-2017), Krlesch (12-01-2017), moose66 (11-21-2017), pgeorg (11-21-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (11-25-2017), wstr75 (11-27-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car looks pretty good to me. I love that color.

JM2010 SH-AWD (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

I'd give it a 8 out of 10. Still not sold on the wheel selection and what is the deal with the seacoast/white steering wheel? Should have gone black, bamboo, or wood IMO. All in on the price decrease!
Old 12-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Grandpa

Alex and Javier testing out the autonomous driving functions.

Things do not turn out very well all of the time when these two get together, but this is at least a view of how Traffic Jam Assist works.

My problem is that I don't perceive much difference between the 2018 and 2014 models, except that Honda have had the confidence to lower the speed limit for LKAS.

If you have a KC2 now, you'll come away believing that the system is basically the same.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by moose66
I'd give it a 8 out of 10. Still not sold on the wheel selection and what is the deal with the seacoast/white steering wheel? Should have gone black, bamboo, or wood IMO. All in on the price decrease!
I'd hate to have to take care of that color combination, but I have to say, it's really beautiful. (Really wish I could get my black paint to pop like that).
Old 12-04-2017, 06:34 AM
Safety Car

Cool Door Handles

I noticed that on this P-AWS video, the door handles are body colored. Are the chrome door handles exclusive to the SH-SH-AWD? There are not enough pics out there yet of the P-AWS for me to figure it out.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Good observation and question. Based on what I have seen thus far, and from the picture in the attached thread of an actual car on the lot, you may be right. Chrome handles on the SH-AWD only it appears. Wonder could you get them as an option or part of a package? That is if you want them. I have heard lots recently about too much chrome on the RLX. I like it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-black-964356/
TSX69 (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I'd hate to have to take care of that color combination, but I have to say, it's really beautiful. (Really wish I could get my black paint to pop like that).
Right. That black looks wet. Very nice. The interior would be a bear to keep clean. The steering wheel alone is a dirt magnet.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:30 PM
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
2018 RLX new seats

Any info on the new seats in the 2018 RLX? I hope they are more comfortable than my 2012 RL. Is it just a cosmetic or full seat upgrade?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:23 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Wheels

https://www.wheels.ca/car-reviews/ac...ly-at-the-top/

Acura’s RLX Flagship is Lonely at the Top

The Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD luxury sedan for 2018 features new styling while retaining its unique three electric motor hybrid system.
By: Jim Robinson January 22, 2018

THE PROS & CONS

•  
    • What’s Best: Advanced hybrid drivetrain with exceptional Acura build quality and expected reliability.
  •  
    • What’s Worst: Why this sedan is not registering with buyers in the luxury sedan segment.
  •  
    • What’s Interesting: It uses the same engine, battery and three electric motors propulsion system as the Acura NSX supercar.
Arriving in Canadian Acura dealerships since November, the 2018 RLX is something of a conundrum.

On 1 hand, it is the brand’s flagship sedan. And after the
NSX supercar, the RLX is the most powerful Acura you can buy.Not only does it have premium luxury appointments, but it’s a hybrid that adds fuel efficiency to the performance with a government certified rating of 8.4/8.2/8.4L/100 km city/highway/combined.

And in real world terms, the ability to pass on the highway is (excuse the pun) electrifying.Yet ask someone what he/she thinks about the Acura RLX and you’re likely to get a blank stare, as people don’t really know much about it.

Officially called the 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD (Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive), there’s quite a lot of thinking that went into the overall concept and design.

Acura wants the RLX to provide V8-class performance with four-cylinder fuel economy but not sacrificing the enjoyment of driving.

So how does Acura do this?
It starts with a 3.5-litre direct injection V6 at the front in tandem with an integrated electric motor and 7-speed dual clutch transmission.

The engine alone produces 310 hp and 273 lb/ft of torque.
But at the rear are 2, 1-way clutch electric motors drawing on the lithium-ion battery (producing a combined 54 hp and 108 lb/ft of torque) for an overall 377 hp and 341 lb/ft of torque.

At launch, only the electric motors at the rear drive the RLX but when you press down on the throttle pedal for gentle acceleration, the engine drives the front motor and front wheels. While all this is going on, the hybrid drive system is monitoring electric draw and engine/coast/brake regeneration, harvesting for the most efficient of the onboard power sources.

Of course, you have to accelerate or pass at some point. So if you lay the hammer down, the engine and all three motors kick in to impress (at least me) with the acceleration.

When you get up to highway speed, the rear motors shut down and the engine drives the front wheels, which is pretty standard in most hybrids.

What I noticed back in 2014 when I drove the RLX Sport Hybrid for the first time was the way the SH-AWD system deals with traction by using rear torque from the motors to generate its own turning force by actually changing the pitch angle to, in effect, create rear end torque vectoring.

Think of it this way.

You come into a right corner. The front engine and electric motor powers you forward.

At the rear the motors supply positive torque to the outside wheel and negative torque to the inside wheel.
That alters what is known as the Yaw Moment, resulting in what Acura says creates “unique flexible control of rear torque (that) generates its own turning force,” meaning the car actually pivots on the inside rear wheel for a much cleaner and stable exit.

It sounds confusing, but it is completely transparent and it works.
When the new RLX bowed in 2014, I did consider it drab looking, but that has changed for 2018 with a healthy dose of the new styling language we saw on the 2018 TLX A-Spec.

The RLX thus adopts the signature “diamond pentagon” grille, a more sculptured hood, new wheel designs, new LED taillights and a prominent gloss black rear diffuser.

With the kind of passenger room you’d expect in a premium luxury sedan, the seats have been redesigned in Milano leather with high-contrast piping and stitching and there is also an available saddle brown leather treatment.
Standard features on the 2018 RLX include a head-up display (HUD), premium ELS Studio Audio System with 14 speakers, two-way remote engine starter, LED fog lights and (blessedly) a heated steering wheel.

The Elite package dials in the industry-exclusive Krell audio system, power rear sunshade, Surround View Camera System and ventilated front seats.

The RLX has AcuraWatch suite of driver/safety aids as standard in addition to the Acura-first Traffic Jam Assist. It works in conjunction with the Adaptive Cruise Control and Low Speed Follow functions to keep the RLK centred in its lane and at a safe distance from the car ahead to help relieve driver stress.

Pricing is also attractive at $64,490 for the Sport Hybrid and $69,990 for the Sport Hybrid Elite.
So as I said back in 2014, the only problem with the 2018 Acura RLX SH-AWD Hybrid is the brand hasn’t been hooting its horn about how much this luxury sedan has to offer.

Acura, over to you.

2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD

BODY STYLE: 4-door, full-size premium luxury sedan.

DRIVE METHOD: All-wheel-drive
ENGINE: 3.5-litre V6 engine/electric motor with 7-speed dual clutch automatic transmission front; 2electric motors rear for a combined 377 hp, 341 lb/ft of torque CARGO CAPACITY: 339 litres

TOWING CAPACITY: NA

FUEL ECONOMY: (Premium recommended) 8.4/8.2/8.4L/100 km city/highway/combined.

PRICE: Sport Hybrid, $65,490 ($67,535 with destination fee); Sport Hybrid Elite $69,990 ($72,035 with destination fee)

Acura.ca

Follow Wheels.ca on

Facebook

Instagram #wheelsca

Twitter

+3

Old 01-23-2018, 09:28 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by TSX69
What’s Interesting: It uses the same engine, battery and three electric motors propulsion system as the Acura NSX supercar.
They lost me right there. :-)

The J Motor in the KC2 has a lot in common with the motor in the NSX Sport Hybrid but it is definitely not the same engine.

The NSX motor is an Anna-hand-built, intricate thing that differs considerably from the regular motors. It's dry sump, too.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
Krlesch (01-23-2018), TacoBello (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 06:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
the inside of the car was filthy
Old 01-24-2018, 09:45 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by getakey
the inside of the car was filthy
Canada. What can you do.

In the season, you're just going to get crap inside. :-)
hondamore (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:23 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Canada. What can you do.

In the season, you're just going to get crap inside. :-)
Hey - I’m in Toronto and my car is always in showroom condition! I just don’t think reviewers take much care in the vehicle. That said, a good reviewer would take pictures of the interior before making a mess....
Old 01-24-2018, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
He's probably the 8th guy to drive the car that day and took pictures of how the other 7 left the vehicle (it looks like at least one of the previous testers had a dandruff problem).

As George said, there is a lot of sand, gravel, salt etc on the roads and it's going to get tracked into the car with normal use and high resolution pictures will show every bit of that dirt. Acura should have provided stock interior and exterior pictures for use in any reviews that came out of their press day event (of they did but this reviewer chose to use his own).

My two cents.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh, this is a legit review? LOL. At least the outside appears to have been rinsed off! Or did the snow melting off the car assist with the cleaning, as I do see some snow of the roof?
Old 01-28-2018, 11:43 AM
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Just signed for a 2018 SH Advance - black/black. Drives like a dream. Makes my 2012 RL feel like a Chrysler K Car.
The following 6 users liked this post by Hobart:
hondamore (01-28-2018), JM2010 SH-AWD (01-29-2018), Malibu Flyer (01-28-2018), neuronbob (02-17-2018), pgeorg (01-28-2018), TSX69 (02-19-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Kbb

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the...ke/2100005083/

Originally Posted by KBB
In 2017, Acura managed to sell a little more than 1,200 RLX models. For comparison's sake, Honda sold 377,286 Civics last year, meaning it takes a little more than a day for the Civic to outsell the RLX. Currently, the RLX has a 140 days’ supply, meaning that it'd take Acura that many days to sell all the RLXs it currently has in stock. That's a long time.

In a vacuum, the 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid we just drove is a pretty solid luxurysedan. It offers up a roomy and comfortable interior for four passengers, with room for a fifth straddling a large center tunnel in the middle of the floor. There's ample trunk space. The audio system from Krell sounds utterly amazing. Everything you touch, see, and use feels as first rate as, well, anything you want to mention. The styling refresh last year gives it some visual pop as well, moving it solidly away from the oversized Accord profile cut by earlier models.

High tech hybrid

It's high tech, too. The Sport Hybrid system saves on gas, yes--we saw around 26 mpg in mixed driving, pretty good for a 310-horsepower 4-door luxury sedan--but its real job is to give this big car moves you wouldn't expect. The gasoline engine provides most of the power, augmented by an electric motor in front, and one for each rear wheel. The upshot is that this powertrain consists of four entirely separate power generation units; it can move under electric power by the front wheels or rear wheels, or a combination of both. It also uses the gasoline engine in conjunction with all those electric motors. In a corner, the system sends power to the outside rear wheel to help power the car through corners. It works as beautifully and invisibly as you'd hope, and the RLX corners in a way that's simply uncanny for something its size and character.

The Sport Handling all-wheel drive is more than a neat trick, it's potentially game-changing technology that's appeared in the MDX Sport Hybrid and, believe it or not, the new Acura NSX. Yet the technology isn't enough to save the RLX from its overall blandness. The gripe list is mostly limited to the infotainment interface and its lack of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, aside from that there's little it does wrong. It's just boring, and "good but boring" doesn't cut it against competitors like the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, BMW 5 Series, Lexus GS, or even the Genesis G80 sedans.

It's a shame to see what's otherwise a competent and nice driving sedan languishing on dealer lots, but it's also an indicator of how competitive the luxury sedan market has become that something as generally nice as the RLX remains an also-ran. Let's hope that the next-generation RLX--if there is one--simply blows us all away.
hondamore (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 07:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Mary Welch, Dunwoody Crier

Acura RLX Sport Hybrid does it all - Dunwoody Crier: Our Columnists

Originally Posted by Dunwoody Crier
Today’s cars are almost expected to do it all — be economical, loaded with amenities, green, stylish and safe. It’s almost too much to ask a mere vehicle. But, there are some, like the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid, that rises to the occasion and delivers. The 2018 hybrid has been refreshed and makes it even more competitive in its class with other mid-size entries such as the Mercedes-Benz E class, the Audi A6 and the BMW 5-series. And, the price of $61,900 helps swing the buyer a bit more to the Acura.

The revisions include replacing the front with a more stylish and modern pentagonal nose. It makes the car a little longer, which a random Publix shopper noted when he wandered over to admire the car and said that it seemed to have been stretched a bit. Yes, when people just come over to admire your car, you know you’re driving a winner! And, for those who like numbers the length is now 198.1 inches in length, with a width of 74.4 inches and a wheelbase of 112.2 inches.

Since we’re talking numbers, we’ll keep on going. It features a 310 hp 3.5-liter V-6 engine and three electric motors: a high-output electric front paired with a rapid-shifting electric motor with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and an electric rear Twin Motor Unit. That’s a lot of power and this car goes from zero to 60 miles per hour in 5.5 second with a top speed of 130 mph. Overall, it delivers a combined 28 miles per gallon with 29 on the highway and a 28 in the city.

Acura delivers luxury and a sportiness both inside and out. The front cockpit seats are both comfortable and roomy but offer the feel of more of a sedan than a sports car, which is fine with us! The lines are smooth are curved and quite frankly, beautiful. There are four interior colors with matching wood-grain finish that complements the metallic finishes and supple leather seats. But, we must say that a car at this price point should have, in our opinion, should not have plastic looking wood finishes.

The technology is first class. Two thumbs up for the audio system and the Krell Premium Audio System with 14 speakers. There are two information centers. On the lower windshield is a Head-Up Display, which projects a transparent image on the lower windshield with such data as the speedometer readings, power distribution, warnings and other key vehicle information. It makes it fantastically easy to get the information you need at your fingertips without looking at the big screen. The images, by the way, were clear and very easy to read — even without reading glasses, again a bonus and a relief.

The second information data center is the On Demand Multi-Use Display, which features a 7-inch color intuitive touch screen that combines all the controls and puts audio, climate and programmed shortcuts right up front.

Another technology feature is the GPS-Lined Tri-Zone Climate control system that uses the sun’s position and intensity to adjust cabin temperatures. This zone automatic climate control lets everyone adjust settings for personalized comfort, which is especially important for kids in the back seats so they don’t overheat.

The ride is simply what one would expect from an Acura: stable, smooth, with lots of power. The Vehicle Stability Assist feature was demonstrated in a blistering rain store in Florida and we felt the car applying brakes at each wheel that reduced the dangers of the scared driver over or under steering.
hondamore (02-17-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Modern Mississisauga

TSX69 (03-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Test Drive Now

TSX69 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
engadget review
he doesn't seem to think it is that fast

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/15/...hybrid-review/
The following 2 users liked this post by getakey:
Malibu Flyer (03-18-2018), TSX69 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:22 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by getakey
engadget review
he doesn't seem to think it is that fast

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/15/...hybrid-review/
I can’t really fault the guy for his opinions.

We questioned the infotainment system and voice commands when we first experienced them in 2013.

Here it is 2018 and we still have a system that was clunky five years ago and won’t be changed until 2020.

And you cant leave the car in sport mode all the time, but if you are not in sport mode the car’s performance is muted substantially by the delay getting everything to coordinate if you put your foot down suddenly.

Waiting for 2020. :-)
pgeorg (03-19-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 07:10 AM
Safety Car

Cool EveryManDriver

hondamore (03-29-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Arrow C&d

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...wd-test-review
2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD

Quick, comfortable, and well under the radar.

April 2018 By SCOTT OLDHAM Photos By JAMES LIPMAN
View 35 Photos

1,237. That’s how many Acura RLX sedans were sold in the United States last year—barely more than 100 cars a month. In the same 12-month period, Americans bought about twice as many Ferraris, nearly 9000 Porsche 911s, and just shy of 16,000 Mercedes S-class models. In other words, the Acura RLX is not only 1 of America’s least popular sedans, it’s 1 of America’s lowest-volume cars, period. The truth is, most Americans don’t even know that the Acura RLX exists.

Highs
Strong performance, comfortable seats, standard driver aids, high value.
Lows
Invisible styling, slow navigation system, complex 2-screen infotainment interface, subpar paint quality.

In this situation, the majority of automakers would put the thing out of its misery. But the Acura gang is a stubborn bunch who have instead thrown some time and money at the problem. The 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid is restyled, retuned, and significantly less expensive than the 2017 model. And the result is—drum roll, please—Acura’s best sedan.

View 35 Photos Power to the 4

With 377 total horsepower, the Sport Hybrid is also Acura’s most powerful four-door ever and the second most powerful Acura ever behind the current NSX. Like that supercar, the RSX Sport Hybrid has Acura’s Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) and is powered by a 3.5-liter V-6 and three small electric motors. In the sedan, the all-aluminum 6 is naturally aspirated with variable valve timing and an 11.5:1 compression ratio. It’s rated at 310 horsepower and, along with a 47-hp electric motor inside the 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transaxle, powers the front wheels. The other 2 motors are mounted at the rear axle, each adding 36 horses to the equation and capable of torque vectoring, applying positive or negative torque to each wheel to influence handling. It’s essentially the same hybrid system that powers the NSX, only the electric motors power the front wheels of the supercar—and its V-6 is twin-turbocharged. (The popular MDX SUV also uses the same hybrid system as the RLX, but with a 3.0-liter V-6.)

The elegant system is extremely smooth in operation, and for 2018 Acura’s engineers have retuned the powertrain for greater response in the Sport driving mode, which adds some weight to the sedan’s steering. They’ve also shaved more than eight pounds from the lithium-ion battery pack mounted behind the rear seat; it steals 3 cubic feet of trunk space, leaving a total of 12. In Normal mode, the V-6 participates when necessary, shutting off during deceleration and highway cruising under 50 mph. In Sport mode, it’s always firing.

That much horsepower makes the RLX Sport Hybrid satisfyingly quick despite its mass of 4373 pounds. In most situations, the transmission starts in 2nd gear in an effort to maximize efficiency and refinement, but the torque of the electric motors combined with the V-6’s 273 lb-ft keep this from being a problem. There’s plenty of thrust in all situations, and the V-6 is never slow to kick in and add punch when you need it.

View 35 Photos

Launch the Sport Hybrid hard, and the transmission is smart enough to give you 1st gear, with the 1st upshift occurring at about 30 mph and the 2nd near 50 mph, both at 6500 rpm, 250 revs short of redline. The RLX hits 60 mph in 3rd gear in 4.9 seconds. That’s 1.2 seconds quicker than the BMW 530e xDrive plug-in hybrid. And it covers the quarter mile in 13.6 seconds at 102 mph. Bye-bye, BMW. We averaged 22 mpg in spirited mixed driving with liberal use of Sport mode; the RLX’s EPA combined estimate is 28 mpg, the same as the BMW’s.

Acura has also made small changes to the sedan’s suspension tuning to increase compliance. The ride is pleasant and comfortable, and there’s still plenty of road feel through its 19-inch Michelin all-seasons. The RLX is responsive and grippy around town, its SH-AWD system pushing power from side to side during hard cornering, which promises entertainment value for the enthusiast driver. Also, its 13.9:1 steering ratio is properly quick, which makes the RLX feel smaller and lighter than it really is, and the computers match revs perfectly when you shift the transmission with the steering-wheel paddle shifters. Not Exactly Nimble

But this is a luxury sedan, not a sports sedan, and the Acura’s 0.83 g of maximum grip is not enough for serious pace in the mountains. Its suspension can get wallowy and feels underdamped when you’re pushing hard over midcorner road imperfections, which neutralizes the driver’s inclination to explore what the torque vectoring can contribute at higher speeds. At its limits the RLX understeers, which is no surprise. Pop the hood and you’ll see that the Acura’s V-6 is hung way out ahead of its front axle, and its 12-volt lead-acid battery is mounted far forward, just behind the left headlight. Not ideal for weight distribution. Despite the counterbalance of its lithium-ion battery pack, as well as an aluminum hood and front fenders, the Sport Hybrid carries 57.2 percent of its mass over its front tires.

View 35 Photos

Its 4-wheel disc brakes stop the heavy sedan from 70 mph in 187 feet, which is 6 feet shorter than the heavier BMW needs for that task. The Acura’s brakes are impressively fade resistant after 6 hard stops, and while our track driver noted “odd” brake feel and slow response in hard stops, in around-town use the pedal action feels very natural—not always the case with a hybrid’s regenerative braking systems. Better Looks and Stronger Value

Perhaps the greatest improvement to the 2018 RLX is its new front sheetmetal. Acura has given the car a new front clip, which replaces last year’s beak grille with a more traditional and attractive mouth. There are also new Jewel Eye LED headlamps—its most interesting design feature—a new rear decklid, redesigned LED taillights, and a fresh rear bumper cover with a black diffuser that Acura says is aerodynamically functional. Overall, the car is 2.0 inches longer than before.

Although certainly more attractive than it was, the Acura RLX has failed to shed its generic-sedan aura and remains invisible to the general public. Nobody notices this car, which now looks like a cross between a new Acura TLX and a Honda Accord from a few years ago. Body-panel fitment is exceptional, but the quality of the black paint on our test car was disappointing, with unsightly orange peel on the sedan’s 4 aluminum door skins.

View 35 Photos

Interior material and fit-and-finish quality are in line with the class, however, and the RLX’s firm sport seats are well shaped, heated, and cooled. They feel good even after hours behind the wheel. Unfortunately, the Acura’s navigation system is slow and dated, and its 2-screen infotainment setup is a failed experiment in electronic ergonomics.

Hoping to entice a few more luxury-car shoppers, Acura has also sliced about $4000 from the RLX Sport Hybrid’s price compared to last year’s fully loaded Advance trim. It now comes in just one trim level, which starts at $62,865 and comes standard with Acura’s full arsenal of luxuries and driver aids including a heated steering wheel, a surround-view camera system, heated rear seats, a 14-speaker premium audio system, forward-collision warning and automated emergency braking, lane-keeping assist, rear cross-traffic alert, and adaptive cruise control.

And that makes the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid a strong value. Yes, the BMW 530e has a lower base price and modest full-electric ability from its bigger battery pack and plug-in hybrid system. The Acura nearly matches its hybrid-mode EPA estimates, though, and comes with many standard features that are optional on the German plug-in (the BMW we tested was equipped quite similarly and stickered out at $69,760). And the Acura blows the Bimmer’s freakin’ doors off in a straight line. We’ll see if that’s enough to get the 2018 RLX back on America’s radar. If not, Acura would be smart to take it behind the woodshed and end its suffering.

Last edited by TSX69; 04-04-2018 at 07:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
hondamore (04-05-2018), neuronbob (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Update the infotainment a la the new RDX and this car should be an instant winner. It's a shame they blew its debut back in '14. It is really a hell of a car. (Love the black/espresso color combo in the pictures).
The following 2 users liked this post by JM2010 SH-AWD:
hondamore (04-06-2018), neuronbob (04-05-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 06:27 AM
Safety Car

Arrow MotorTrend

2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid First Test: Flagship Charting its Way - Motor Trend

2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid First Test: Flagship Charting its Way

Can Acura keep up with BMW and Lexus?

The Acura RLX probably isn’t the first, second, or third car that comes to mind when you think of midsize luxury sedans. How do you boost the relevancy of a sedan with few buyers in a segment with slow sales? You give it a bolder look and drop the price.

If this was the strategy, it might just be working. After
slipping in the sales charts every year since its debut in 2013, the RLX is now on the upswing. First-quarter sales this year jumped 58 percent from 2017. Acura sold 463 copies of its midsize sedan, still well below the 10,000+ sales BMW garnered for its 5 Series.

A 2018 refresh brings a polarizing new design. I noticed it draws attention, but it’s overwhelming to the eyes if you look at it too long. Like other new vehicles in Acura’s stable, it has a diamond pentagon grille with an enormous badge in the middle. New headlights, a redesigned hood, restyled LED taillights, a gloss black rear diffuser, and exposed dual exhaust finishers are just some of the other updates to the exterior. To simplify the lineup, Acura is offering only 2 trim levels, one for each powertrain option: the all-gas RLX and the RLX Sport Hybrid. The hybrid model made up 13 percent of total RLX sales before the refresh, but Acura says that figure is up to more than 40 percent now.We recently tested the Sport Hybrid, which uses a 3.5-liter V-6 paired to three electric motors for a total system output of 377 hp and 341 lb-ft of torque. The powertrain carries over from the 2017 model year, backed by a familiar 7-speed dual-clutch transmission. In Motor Trend tests, the sedan hit 60 mph in 4.9 seconds.

“I really like the power delivery on this thing,” associate road test editor Erick Ayapana said. “It’s smooth and linear, and it feels quicker than its acceleration numbers suggest.”

The Acura’s time matched a 335-hp 2017 BMW 540i we previously tested. In the figure 8, the RLX Sport Hybrid fell short of the BMW’s time of 25.7 seconds at an average of 0.73 g, clocking 26.9 seconds at an average of 0.67 g.

Perhaps a more direct competitor is the
Lexus GS 450h, given it’s a fellow hybrid. Making 338 hp, the Lex took 6.0 seconds to reach 60 mph, yet it managed a superior figure-8 time of 26.3 seconds at an average of 0.70 g.

“I did feel the AWD doing a nice job of shuffling the power around on the skidpad where normally I’d be adjusting my line with the steering wheel,” road test editor Chris Walton noted of the RLX during testing. “There’s not a lot of grip from the tires, however.”

On the road, the RLX doesn’t feel floppy like many other large sedans. Instead, you’re able to steer the car precisely to where you want it to go. It benefits from Acura’s torque-vectoring Super Handling-All Wheel Drive, which doles out power as needed between the front and rear wheels as well as the individual back wheels. That said, this 4,341-pound sedan feels pretty heavy at low speeds, and steering requires a bit more muscle than usual.
Unlike many hybrids, this RLX benefits from sharp, not deflated, brakes, although they are perhaps a bit oversensitive. Our test team also praised the RLX for its reasonable body control under hard braking.

The RLX Sport Hybrid boasts better EPA fuel economy figures than the most efficient BMW 540i (21/30/24 mpg city/highway/combined), but it doesn’t perform as well as the
Lexus GS 450h (29/34/31 mpg). The Acura’s 28/29/28 mpg rating from the EPA matches pretty closely with our Real MPG tests, which came in at 26.4/29.3/27.8 mpg.

The cabin remains relatively insulated from wind and road noise while cruising on the highway, although it’s not the quietest luxury sedan we’ve encountered. Plush materials encompass you once you’re inside, but all that fine leather is surrounded by old technology. One week with Acura’s infotainment system will have you eyeing the system on the
Honda Accord. The 2-screen setup is cumbersome and eats up free space on the center stack. Old graphics on the top navigation screen reduces its appeal, and the bottom screen is slow to respond to touch. Also, you won’t find Apple CarPlay or Android Auto on this sedan.

Despite its Acura badge, but don’t be fooled—this sedan is priced up there with competitors from BMW and Lexus. At $63,265, our tester was admittedly fully loaded with standard 12-way power front seats, a power moonroof, a head-up display, heated front and rear seats, ventilated front seats, a 14-speaker Krell audio system, a surround-view camera, a heated steering wheel, and navigation. Many of these features are offered on the standard Advance package. Standard safety features include adaptive cruise control with low-speed follow, collision mitigation braking, lane keeping assist, and a new traffic jam assist feature that helps drivers keep centered in their lane and at a set distance from the vehicle in front. The only extra feature on our tester was a premium $400 red paint job. For the new model year, Acura lowered the price on the Sport Hybrid by $4,050 compared to the outgoing model with the Advance package. The automaker previously offered a less expensive, lower-contented RLX Sport Hybrid with the Technology package, but it had a take rate of just 1 percent.

The RLX is Acura’s lowest-selling model shy of the NSX supercar. Acura sells way more MDX and RDX crossovers, but the RLX holds its own as a spacious flagship and unlikely cruise missile with solid cornering abilities. That said, the refresh fails to address the model’s aging technology and “large barge” feeling.

Malibu Flyer (04-20-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)