Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Accord EX 4 cylinder has weight distribution as RLX.

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-...fications.aspx
61 / 39
Old 04-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Accord EX 4 cylinder has weight distribution as RLX.

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-...fications.aspx
61 / 39
noted, thanks
Old 04-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

my cat got a pretty good weight distribution, with the right set of tires she handles better than the RLX

The following 3 users liked this post by 037:
Curious3GTL (04-14-2013), MC MiYoung3269 (04-14-2013), neuronbob (04-14-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
CLAWS work for grip. ( see my other post)
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
037 (04-13-2013), neuronbob (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
the Washington Post review:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/2...f35_story.html
Old 04-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
Yay, a positive review!

And it is not meant to be a Bimmer at all. Acura has never chased BMW, honestly....its decision to use PAWS instead of making a RWD platform pretty much says it all.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:23 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^i was a little surprised how positive it was esp after reading all the mixed reviews of the car from other reviews. i think acura stopped chasing after bmw for a while. they seem to want to carve out their own niche of sorts (be different with their product, hence the "value luxury") which in many ways they have. some people will open up their wallets for just a badge and stroke their egos a bit, while others may be more objective to their choosings. it's all personal preference and individual value/worth. acura may not be for everyone, but neither is a bmw, audi, or lexus.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yay, a positive review!

And it is not meant to be a Bimmer at all. Acura has never chased BMW, honestly....its decision to use PAWS instead of making a RWD platform pretty much says it all.
looks like someone finally acknowledged pressure from Hyundai...

Moreover, Acura lately has come under pressure from Hyundai and Kia, South Korean partners that are deliberately undermining the traditional concept of luxury, stripping it of the notion of exclusivity by making available at reasonable cost almost everything once considered unattainable in an affordable automobile.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 037
looks like someone finally acknowledged pressure from Hyundai...

Moreover, Acura lately has come under pressure from Hyundai and Kia, South Korean partners that are deliberately undermining the traditional concept of luxury, stripping it of the notion of exclusivity by making available at reasonable cost almost everything once considered unattainable in an affordable automobile.
THis is not true. Honda/Acura didnot lower the price. Infact they remove double wishbone from Accord. make the size of tire smaller 215. remove chrome handles from various models. Remove SH-AWD from RDX and still non DI engine. Still non DI V6 engine in Accord.
Moved RLX upmarket in Price even with FWD.. slide TSX/TL replacement to 7 year. MDX into 7th year. create even more expensive RSX aka ILX.
Acura didnot feel any pressure to replace its models quickly.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
^^i was a little surprised how positive it was esp after reading all the mixed reviews of the car from other reviews. i think acura stopped chasing after bmw for a while. they seem to want to carve out their own niche of sorts (be different with their product, hence the "value luxury") which in many ways they have. some people will open up their wallets for just a badge and stroke their egos a bit, while others may be more objective to their choosings. it's all personal preference and individual value/worth. acura may not be for everyone, but neither is a bmw, audi, or lexus.
I think Mr. Brown "gets" the FWD RLX. It's not meant to be a road-burner (although it is certainly competent enough). That will be the job of the AWD version. But as he says, it's a very well put together car with very nice materials and quality and everything works with a minimum of fuss (unlike, for example, Ford's and Cadillac's infotainment systems).

The FWD version provides great room, excellent fuel mileage, and will last forever. It strikes me as the current version of the 2G Legend sedan. It's not for everyone, and most enthusiasts will likely not want the FWD version. But it certainly is not a bad car - it's actually quite good.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
You know....for a car that no one seems to like or very few own, I am quite amazed by how much activity the RLX section is creating!! Its a very active section.....which is a good thing in my mind. Despite our so-called negative reception to the car, we all seem to enjoy talking about it, and as they say, there is no bad publicity *lol*
The following users liked this post:
jhr3uva90 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I agree. And for wouldn't mind replacing my 2005 RL someday with an RLX... for the right price.

That Lexus GS is starting to appeal to me, though.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Thanks for agreeing with me The GS is on my list of replacement as well....Originally I had the IS but I think I can only do the F version, the regular IS looks weird to me.

My list includes the following (and not in this order):
1. Acura TLX (if they ever decide to reveal the damn thing)
2. Infiniti Q50
3. Lexus GS
4. Audi S4/S5
5. BMW 4 series (once I see one in the flesh)

I have until next May to decide what I want....oh its going to be a good and fun year!!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
You know....for a car that no one seems to like or very few own, I am quite amazed by how much activity the RLX section is creating!! ...
Yup, I'm not in the market for this car... just lurking to understand "the why." Is the RLX really that bad? Or is it not enough for the money Acura is asking?

Once a big fan of the old Honda/Acura, I have mixed feelings today. I do hope, however, Honda/Acura figures it out.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
^^ Nice list

I would prefer another mid sized sedan, so I like (in no particular order):
Infiniti M (or wht the new name is)
Lexus GS
Acura RLX

My list is pretty short, because I want a car I can count on potentially owning for a decade.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

WheelMcCoy...I am a big fan too...The RLX is not even on my radar as far as cars I would love to be caught driving, but I think, I look at the RLX as the direction Acura is heading and how it could affect the design/technology of my TL's replacement....the TLX. I love the brand, Acura is a fine product but this excessive criticism from every direction is starting to annoy me.

I understand car companies all make mistakes and when they drop the ball, they deserve to be bashed to knock some sense into them. Acura, they almost seem to thrive on the abuse....maybe they like being spanked as much as I do *lmao* But seriously, after a while, you start doubting your own judgement for owning the brand and I hate having to spend my time defending why I bought an Acura rather than receiving some flattering comments about my vehicle
Old 04-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
My list is pretty short, because I want a car I can count on potentially owning for a decade.
Make sense as to why you would only include the Japanese brand in your short list *lol*
Old 04-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

RLX tire width is 245 vs 235 for TSX. Accord is only 215.

61/39 weight distribution for RLX.
http://www.acura.com/DimensionsCapac...aspx?model=RLX

62/38 is weight distribution for TSX V6.
http://www.acura.com/DimensionsCapac...aspx?model=TSX
For a slalom, smaller tires might be better... or not. The size of the contact patch is what's interesting, and that also varies with suspension.

A bunch of other things also play a role:
- steering ratio, diameter of steering wheel, turning circle
- gear ratios
- wheel base
- weight of driver

But Colin is correct. We've gone down the rabbit hole.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:16 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
THis is not true. Honda/Acura didnot lower the price. Infact they remove double wishbone from Accord. make the size of tire smaller 215. remove chrome handles from various models. Remove SH-AWD from RDX and still non DI engine. Still non DI V6 engine in Accord.
Moved RLX upmarket in Price even with FWD.. slide TSX/TL replacement to 7 year. MDX into 7th year. create even more expensive RSX aka ILX.
Acura didnot feel any pressure to replace its models quickly.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WheelMcCoy
For a slalom, smaller tires might be better... or not. The size of the contact patch is what's interesting, and that also varies with suspension.

A bunch of other things also play a role:
- steering ratio, diameter of steering wheel, turning circle
- gear ratios
- wheel base
- weight of driver

But Colin is correct. We've gone down the rabbit hole.
Honda Accord has nearly identical turn circle. 39feet for Accord and 40 feet for RLX. based on manufacture specification. RLX has slightly longer wheel base and wider tires. so it is understandable. The stablizer bars on RLX are even larger than TL SH-AWD by wide margin. RLX stabilzer bars almost double the size of Honda Accord.

RLX>TL -SH-AWD>TL>TSX> Honda Accord.
TSX smaller size and large bars help it maintain sharper handling.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm
Stabilizer bars are part of a car's suspension system. They are sometimes also called anti-sway bars or anti-roll bars. Their purpose in life is to try to keep the car's body from "rolling" in a sharp turn.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:24 PM

WheelMcCoy...I am a big fan too...The RLX is not even on my radar as far as cars I would love to be caught driving, but I think, I look at the RLX as the direction Acura is heading and how it could affect the design/technology of my TL's replacement....the TLX. I love the brand, Acura is a fine product but this excessive criticism from every direction is starting to annoy me.

I understand car companies all make mistakes and when they drop the ball, they deserve to be bashed to knock some sense into them. Acura, they almost seem to thrive on the abuse....maybe they like being spanked as much as I do *lmao* But seriously, after a while, you start doubting your own judgement for owning the brand and I hate having to spend my time defending why I bought an Acura rather than receiving some flattering comments about my vehicle
I don't think the criticism directed towards the RLX is because it's a "bad" car (whatever the definition of a "good" or "bad" car is).

The overall criticism has been about what they want their identity to be. Again, if Acura is trying to build a competitor for the 5 series, the GS or the E Class, the RLX will not succeed to any great degree. That doesn't make it a bad car.

There is no denying that the RLX will be a competent and comfortable car with performance that will more than satisfy the level of which most people in this demographic will push their cars. Not to mention technology that is good or better than the competition.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:49 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

well dont' you love the fact that it seems like everyone bad mouthed the looks of the ZDX, but you hear of no criticism about the X6 which is the car's direct competitor? i'm not sure why there is such harsh criticism of the acura line up over it's other counter parts. granted some of it deserved (design team of the 09-11 4G TL grill...i mean really? did they not run this by a group of consumers first? or the supposed underpowered ILX, which to many of us enthusiasts it is at that price point). nobody picks on BMW or mercedes or even audi or lexus (which the bass mouth grill look is IMO). different strokes...

my guess would be that the TLX concept will debut by the fall and production release by next spring as a 2015 model (my prediction). let's all hope they dont' f-up the design
Old 04-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

I think Acura gives two s***s about the competition given the RLX, given that they refuse to do the typical luxury car thing with V8 and RWD.

As far as criticism.....hopefully Acura will fix a couple of things. I see the RLX as a potential replacement the next time around, in 2-3 years as that's when I usually get the itch. My most secret hope is that by then, discounts will abound on the sport hybrid version, and that someone will have some idea of the right offset so I can put decent wheels on. That, of course, depends on whether the sport hybrid is the shiz. From those early reports with the Honda Accord mules, it should be.

Either that, or I'll just have to save some money for an NSX.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Honda Accord has nearly identical turn circle. 39feet for Accord and 40 feet for RLX. based on manufacture specification. RLX has slightly longer wheel base and wider tires. so it is understandable. The stablizer bars on RLX are even larger than TL SH-AWD by wide margin. RLX stabilzer bars almost double the size of Honda Accord.

RLX>TL -SH-AWD>TL>TSX> Honda Accord.
TSX smaller size and large bars help it maintain sharper handling.
What does this have to do with anything? It makes no sense.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:06 PM

well dont' you love the fact that it seems like everyone bad mouthed the looks of the ZDX, but you hear of no criticism about the X6 which is the car's direct competitor? i'm not sure why there is such harsh criticism of the acura line up over it's other counter parts. granted some of it deserved (design team of the 09-11 4G TL grill...i mean really? did they not run this by a group of consumers first? or the supposed underpowered ILX, which to many of us enthusiasts it is at that price point). nobody picks on BMW or mercedes or even audi or lexus (which the bass mouth grill look is IMO). different strokes...

my guess would be that the TLX concept will debut by the fall and production release by next spring as a 2015 model (my prediction). let's all hope they dont' f-up the design
Well said, especially the comment about the ZDX and the X6.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:08 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I think Acura gives two s***s about the competition given the RLX, given that they refuse to do the typical luxury car thing with V8 and RWD.

As far as criticism.....hopefully Acura will fix a couple of things. I see the RLX as a potential replacement the next time around, in 2-3 years as that's when I usually get the itch. My most secret hope is that by then, discounts will abound on the sport hybrid version, and that someone will have some idea of the right offset so I can put decent wheels on. That, of course, depends on whether the sport hybrid is the shiz. From those early reports with the Honda Accord mules, it should be.

Either that, or I'll just have to save some money for an NSX.
do you mean "I DON'T think Acura gives two..."??

i'd agree with you. Acura is doing their own thing to make their products stand out (good or bad, hopefully more good) and let it sell itself. If the TLX comes out as a hit and they keep the SHAWD, it'll put Acura back up on the map as they were in the 2000's. It seems that even with the release of the 3G MDX...they are listening to the consumers and made the changes. just as they did with the civic and the 4G TL grill.
neuronbob (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
^^ Thanks for agreeing with me The GS is on my list of replacement as well....Originally I had the IS but I think I can only do the F version, the regular IS looks weird to me.

My list includes the following (and not in this order):
1. Acura TLX (if they ever decide to reveal the damn thing)
2. Infiniti Q50
3. Lexus GS
4. Audi S4/S5
5. BMW 4 series (once I see one in the flesh)

I have until next May to decide what I want....oh its going to be a good and fun year!!
I removed the GS from my list for 3 reasons, first that dumb mouse controller sucks. Second unless your get an F Sport the GS has a wooden steering wheel, can't stand that. And last they tech seem a little behind and they only now show adaptive cruise control, but find that in any cor, does not exist and I believe they do not have Collision intervention or lane departure intervention. Oh and a bonus reason is on a $60K car the trunk hinges are the crushing tip, no molded trunk, not external, just like a Corolla!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

do you mean "I DON'T think Acura gives two..."??

i'd agree with you. Acura is doing their own thing to make their products stand out (good or bad, hopefully more good) and let it sell itself. If the TLX comes out as a hit and they keep the SHAWD, it'll put Acura back up on the map as they were in the 2000's. It seems that even with the release of the 3G MDX...they are listening to the consumers and made the changes. just as they did with the civic and the 4G TL grill.
Regarding SH-AWD on TLX. If what we're hearing is correct, putting AWD in a (current) TSX sized car could be a little cramped. I'd guess we'd see a 11-12 cu. ft. trunk with no folding seat. Begin whining now.

The latest I've heard is LOTS of trims. Picture how many styles/drivetrains of Accord you can get and you are on the right track.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 037
my cat got a pretty good weight distribution, with the right set of tires she handles better than the RLX

I can confirm that. I tried taking an RLX up a tree and couldn't get past the trunk!

Just kidding, but the way some people drive, you never know!

Nice pic.
037 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

do you mean "I DON'T think Acura gives two..."?
Ugh, iPad posting sucks. Correct.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm very conflicted on this topic. As an enthusiast and Honda fan, I want to see more performance models. However, as someone who makes a living (or not) in this business, I'd gladly trade the hundreds for performance customers we see for the thousands of ES and RX customers that Lexus gets (and its not lost on me that these are BOTH based on mainstream Toyotas).
Old 04-14-2013, 02:43 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by Colin
Regarding SH-AWD on TLX. If what we're hearing is correct, putting AWD in a (current) TSX sized car could be a little cramped. I'd guess we'd see a 11-12 cu. ft. trunk with no folding seat. Begin whining now.

The latest I've heard is LOTS of trims. Picture how many styles/drivetrains of Accord you can get and you are on the right track.
well...it would be no different with my 3G TL in terms of no folding seat and a tight trunk. i suppose if you want to haul stuff get a CUV or the wagon. so acura is aiming to overcomplicate things with a gazillion trims...i kind of like the simplicity of the pkg/trims they have now.

well, if we look at the RLX trims...that should be telling of what to expect for the TLX and the new MDX.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Suzuka Master

well...it would be no different with my 3G TL in terms of no folding seat and a tight trunk. i suppose if you want to haul stuff get a CUV or the wagon. so acura is aiming to overcomplicate things with a gazillion trims...i kind of like the simplicity of the pkg/trims they have now.

well, if we look at the RLX trims...that should be telling of what to expect for the TLX and the new MDX.
That is true for the TL, but TSX owners already have folding seat that they will lose with the new car (in all likelihood). The new MDX has eight trim levels.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:54 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^well the TSX owners just better get used to it. you want sporty...give up your fold down seat! lol.

8 trims?! 4 FWD and 4 SHAWD trims? the RLX has 5? base, w/ navi, w/tech, w/tech +krell, w/ advance...then add in the SH-SHAWD trims come this fall...oye!

it was kind of nice when it was 5AT base, 5ATw/navi, 6MT base, 6MT w/navi, add HPT (for the 3G TL). i guess...give the people what they want...plus their is such a greater wealth of tech stuff that it gets pkg'd a bit differently.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

^^well the TSX owners just better get used to it. you want sporty...give up your fold down seat! lol.

8 trims?! 4 FWD and 4 SHAWD trims? the RLX has 5? base, w/ navi, w/tech, w/tech +krell, w/ advance...then add in the SH-SHAWD trims come this fall...oye!

it was kind of nice when it was 5AT base, 5ATw/navi, 6MT base, 6MT w/navi, add HPT (for the 3G TL). i guess...give the people what they want...plus their is such a greater wealth of tech stuff that it gets pkg'd a bit differently.
Ha ha. Regarding a folding rear seat for TSX owners: "begin revving your whining engine now"

I don't believe we are going to see five trim levels in the SH SH-AWD. Everybody on the Internet, whether you're interested in this car or not, start whining now.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Colin...I agree that no matter what Acura/Honda does, there will always be whiners. It is impossible to please everyone. That being said, lets just hope Acura/Honda doesn't give something that EVERYONE will whine about I don't have a problem (to an extent) with having some trim options just as long as it doesn't renders the car impossible to configure and drive the price too high. I agree with you, you are in an odd spot as you are an enthusiast but also rely on selling as many as possible to put food on the table.

The part I don't understand is why it seems impossible to have something for everyone. You can have the luxury cruiser with a soft suspension but you can also have an aggressive trim that adds body kit, a sportier stance etc (while having a button on the console that changes the driving dynamics - steering and suspension).

As far as folding seats and adding safety to the cars, that argument makes sense but if Acura continues to make bland and uninspiring cars, they will have the ultimate best crash ratings because they will never crash...they will just sit on the lot!

Colin....I am not sure if you are speaking in code words here and know something we don't but please don't tell me that Acura is considering removing the SH-AWD on the TLX. Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to reveal your information publicly, I will maintain and respect your information (take the oath of silence)

KeithL....From what Colin was saying in a previous post, I think that even the RLX does not have the crumple free trunk hinges! If that is the case, I suspect that the TLX will be equally equipped which doesn't bode well for you

TLtrigirl...While I agree to an extent about your comment about the ZDX and the X6, it seems BMW can do no wrong. However, I do agree with most that the syling of the X6 is much more visually pleasing than the ZDX (in my opinion anyway). I hope you are correct about the TLX concept showing in the fall, and maybe some spy pics before?! Brenda Priddy and company....are you listening?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:54 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^that's just it. BMW is suppose to be this "ideal" or perfect car company that everyone is suppose to aspire to. hence the "ultimate driving machine". yeah a machine that the majority of owners will never drive to it's potential (same goes with other brands). i don't hate bmw, i actually appreciate what they have as a product. the overbloated price tag, the lack of consistent reliability once the warranty is up, and the cost of maintenance isn't worth it for me to own. i'm not really that big of a fan of the X6 or the ZDX. perhaps it's the ZDX grill that makes it stand out more to criticsm. again...everything is subjective to tastes and personal preferences.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

On whiners -- count me in as one of them. I love the split rear folding seat.

TLTrigirl -- the looks of the BMW 5 Series GT is controversial (some would say ugly), but yeah, BMW has that magic. They are forgiven easily. Honda/Acura, not so much.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Colin....I am not sure if you are speaking in code words here and know something we don't but please don't tell me that Acura is considering removing the SH-AWD on the TLX. Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to reveal your information publicly, I will maintain and respect your information (take the oath of silence)

KeithL....From what Colin was saying in a previous post, I think that even the RLX does not have the crumple free trunk hinges! If that is the case, I suspect that the TLX will be equally equipped which doesn't bode well for you
No special code here, just that there will be no shortage of trim level choices for the upcoming TLX. Just look at how many configurations there are for the Accord including engines, transmissions, body styles et cetera. I have no Intel on whether it will continue with AWD, but I don't see why it wouldn't (other than making the vehicle to cramped)

As for the trunk hinges. The RLX uses a "Gooseneck" type hinge but it retracts into a molded liner. This prevents you from accidentally crashing something under the hinge.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
No special code here, just that there will be no shortage of trim level choices for the upcoming TLX. Just look at how many configurations there are for the Accord including engines, transmissions, body styles et cetera. I have no Intel on whether it will continue with AWD, but I don't see why it wouldn't (other than making the vehicle to cramped)
But they sell a few hundred thousand Accords so can support that many configs, with 35K copies a year for the TLX I don't think they can support that many configs. If they did it will suck to find the config you want in the color combination you want. Hard enough to find AWD TL Adbance in colors you want now.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)