Acura Buyback.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by KenRLX
Fascinating - Even the SH has serious suspension rattles.
My first one did not rattle, it made a lot of clunking and banging noise from the front suspension. I believe RLX-Sport Hybrid has had, and has again some rattling coming from his suspension.....
Old 12-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Thanks much for the updates. But perhaps it is my terminology that needs updated. I would agree that RLX's clunk and bang too.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks much for the updates. But perhaps it is my terminology that needs updated. I would agree that RLX's clunk and bang too.
Got it. On this new one i just got, i put about 200 miles on my drive home from the dealer. I paid very close attention to the suspension noise, and it was whisper quite. This might change the more the car is driven, and i will update as soon as i put a couple of thousand miles more (a month or so).
Old 12-25-2015, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Fascinating - Even the SH has serious suspension rattles.
I would not characterize it as serious. Present and slightly audible yes. Serious no. I'm debating even going to the dealer about it. It is that slight.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
turn radio up, TSB fix!
Old 12-26-2015, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No suspension rattles on my car, yet. Maybe I'm not driving it right.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:20 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Same for me......no issues with the suspension.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:02 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
If you ever drop it off a kerbstone, something with a sheer 4" or greater drop off the other side, you'll probably provoke a clunk that will be surprising enough to make you wonder if you broke something.

You probably didn't break anything, but it's surprisingly noncompliant and gives you a hint at how the lighter P-AWS cars might be having issues.

That we have the same dampers and springs still surprises me.

The Sport Hybrid carries 357 pounds more than the P-AWS cars, and the weight distribution is completely different.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Same for me......no issues with the suspension.
Likewise for me.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
If you ever drop it off a kerbstone, something with a sheer 4" or greater drop off the other side, you'll probably provoke a clunk that will be surprising enough to make you wonder if you broke something.
Yikes!
Old 12-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by fsmith
Yikes!
For me it doesnt take quite that much to set off the suspension gremlins.

Usually any normal to larger manhole cover (with a 2-3 inch dip in the pavement), potholes, large dips or uneven junctions between two different pieces of paved road, etc, etc. 95% of the time these conditions set of that "clunk" that makes you feel like you may have broken something in the car. The amount of frustration and distraction it creates in an otherwise great driving experience created by a really nice drivetrain and steering mechanics will forever be the biggest sore spot for me with my RLX.

It is the single biggest issue that continues to tarnish my driving experience just about anytime I take the car for anything other than a super-long road trip where I am on smooth highway pavement for long periods of time.

If I were to sum it all it up: I give the RLX PAWS a rating of 3 on a scale of 1-10 in terms of creating a consistent and repeatable luxury driving experience across a wide variety of road conditions. Consistent being the key word and key missing factor. And it just flat out sucks not being able to enjoy a higher percentage of my driving time with it for what I pay every month.
The following users liked this post:
bronx1480 (12-30-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 06:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
For me it doesnt take quite that much to set off the suspension gremlins.

Usually any normal to larger manhole cover (with a 2-3 inch dip in the pavement), potholes, large dips or uneven junctions between two different pieces of paved road, etc, etc. 95% of the time these conditions set of that "clunk" that makes you feel like you may have broken something in the car. The amount of frustration and distraction it creates in an otherwise great driving experience created by a really nice drivetrain and steering mechanics will forever be the biggest sore spot for me with my RLX.

It is the single biggest issue that continues to tarnish my driving experience just about anytime I take the car for anything other than a super-long road trip where I am on smooth highway pavement for long periods of time.

If I were to sum it all it up: I give the RLX PAWS a rating of 3 on a scale of 1-10 in terms of creating a consistent and repeatable luxury driving experience across a wide variety of road conditions. Consistent being the key word and key missing factor. And it just flat out sucks not being able to enjoy a higher percentage of my driving time with it for what I pay every month.
I have to agree with you on this. My daily commute ha me driving on horribly maintained streets with chucks of concrete missing, sunken manhole covers and overall rough streets. The rough roars are only a short part of my commute. I hear this "clunk" as well.

After the TLX debacle, I was expecting a much better driving experience in the RLX, especially, as you mentioned, for the amount I am paying each month.
bronx1480 (03-16-2016)
Old 12-29-2015, 02:25 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Does this clunk sound like the spare tire is not bolted on tightly enough? If so, my 3G TL had the same noise when going over large enough bumps. I checked if everything was tight and even had a shop go through it. Chalked it up to normal characteristic of the car.

The same "thud" sound is present in my parent's new MDX. I think this is just normal design even though none of my previous cars had it.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

It sounds more like a loose shock absorber or something along those lines
bronx1480 (12-30-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ this. And at times can sound like the entire chassis has "loose" parts in it tumbling around. It's not a sharp metal sound either (since you're obviously inside the cabin) but more like a muted tumbling and jostling of parts.

It makes you feel like the car isn't well put together, and immediately creates a sense of "cheap", which IMO is not a feeling you should be having in a car of this class and cost.

As George indicated earlier, I believe wholeheartedly that it has to do with the lighter weight of the PAWS, but still using the suspension design of the Sport-Hybrid, which is almost 1000lbs heavier. As a result, the PAWS chassis jumps and "jiggles" around a lot more than it should since the shocks/suspension design is expecting a heavier chassis. All that movement combined with a lighter weight chassis, gives you a feeling in the steering wheel and in your seat that your driving something almost too light, too brittle, and somewhat plastic. Instead of a solid, well grounded, well-footed mechanical machine.

Last edited by holografique; 12-29-2015 at 02:56 PM.
bronx1480 (03-16-2016)
Old 12-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
It sounds more like a loose shock absorber or something along those lines
Stew,

I noticed you have a '16 PAWS. This was supposed to bring in some considerable changes to the suspension design to address the ride comfort issues of the 14'/15' models.

Are you exhibiting what you would call "issues" still with the 16' model?
Old 12-29-2015, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Stew,

I noticed you have a '16 PAWS. This was supposed to bring in some considerable changes to the suspension design to address the ride comfort issues of the 14'/15' models.

Are you exhibiting what you would call "issues" still with the 16' model?
I am guessing that the streets I mentioned are just bad. The RLX certainly is much softer/smoother than the TLX was. I never experience the jarring on some of the bumps and dips I did with the TLX.

I wouldn't say I am having any real "issues", certainly nothing to report to the service department.

I really do not like the P-AWS though. It just feels strange to have that yaw as I turn a hard corner causing me to over-steer at times. I wish I had been able to get the SH-AWD or Sport Hybrid model.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by honda_nut
Does this clunk sound like the spare tire is not bolted on tightly enough? If so, my 3G TL had the same noise when going over large enough bumps. I checked if everything was tight and even had a shop go through it. Chalked it up to normal characteristic of the car.

The same "thud" sound is present in my parent's new MDX. I think this is just normal design even though none of my previous cars had it.
Tell your parents to get the new MDX to the dealer. I just dropped mine off today for the same noise and they are replacing the rear shocks and the sway bar assembly. Brand new and here we are with this issue in an MDX. By the way, my 16 MDX with the 9 speed transmission gets worse gas mileage than my 14 which I replaced after my accident. Also I do not like the steering assist or the lane keeping assist at all. I have turned off everything I can other than the traction control.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ this. And at times can sound like the entire chassis has "loose" parts in it tumbling around. It's not a sharp metal sound either (since you're obviously inside the cabin) but more like a muted tumbling and jostling of parts.

It makes you feel like the car isn't well put together, and immediately creates a sense of "cheap", which IMO is not a feeling you should be having in a car of this class and cost.

As George indicated earlier, I believe wholeheartedly that it has to do with the lighter weight of the PAWS, but still using the suspension design of the Sport-Hybrid, which is almost 1000lbs heavier. As a result, the PAWS chassis jumps and "jiggles" around a lot more than it should since the shocks/suspension design is expecting a heavier chassis. All that movement combined with a lighter weight chassis, gives you a feeling in the steering wheel and in your seat that your driving something almost too light, too brittle, and somewhat plastic. Instead of a solid, well grounded, well-footed mechanical machine.
I maintain the steering in the SH is too light and over boosted, but I understand why they did it. I bet the NSX is similar based on what I have read.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

I love your new avatar, RLHSH! I think your Blackbird would be proud.

Why do you think Acura made the steering so light? I'd enjoy it a bit heavier as well...but it's certainly not a deal-breaker.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 06:17 AM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
I must have a deadened butt. My 2014 PAWS, while having a somewhat jolty ride over uneven surfaces, is not bothersome to me. Like some others have similarly said, I increasingly enjoy and appreciate the PAWS steering effect. I did not "get it" initially, but with 13,000 miles on this beauty, it is now part of my driving DNA.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I maintain the steering in the SH is too light and over boosted, but I understand why they did it. I bet the NSX is similar based on what I have read.
I noticed that the steering in the SH is much heavier than in the P-AWS. Also initial turn in is much quicker in the P-AWS, compared to the SH. But keeping the car steady through the turn (holding the line) is much easier in the SH, than the P-AWS.......any small movement of the steering wheel in the P-AWS, and you feel the car move-twitch.....
Just some initial observations.....
RLX-Sport Hybrid (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 07:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

I love your new avatar, RLHSH! I think your Blackbird would be proud.

Why do you think Acura made the steering so light? I'd enjoy it a bit heavier as well...but it's certainly not a deal-breaker.
Thanks for the kudos on the avatar! I thought it would be appropriate. I am a big supporter of the military and never pass an opportunity by to go out of my way and thank them for their service when ever I see them standing a post protecting us. The look on their faces every time is appreciative but also surprise as it seems not to many citizens do that for them. Hopefully others will catch on and do the same including the police. I did that at a shopping mall the other day and I heard them say to each other as I walked away, "well that does not happen every day. I wish that happened more often".

Regarding the steering feel, I think because of the EV motor addition, the power steering assist has to be greater to overcome it, like the NSX. Thus to me it seems over boosted. I like the sport setting in the MDX as it is heavier. There is no option in the SH to change that setting. After test driving the "other" car I am debating purchasing which has serious sporting intent, the steering was the best I have ever experienced. In fact the whole driving experience is bad ass. If I end up making that purchase, that will be a thread all to its own. I don't have a three car garage (yet) and keeping one outside all the time is not desired, so that is part of the decision matrix.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pgeorg
I noticed that the steering in the SH is much heavier than in the P-AWS. Also initial turn in is much quicker in the P-AWS, compared to the SH. But keeping the car steady through the turn (holding the line) is much easier in the SH, than the P-AWS.......any small movement of the steering wheel in the P-AWS, and you feel the car move-twitch.....
Just some initial observations.....
Very similar observations for me when I got my chance to test drive that 2016 SH Advanced a few months ago. The entire driving mechanics, suspension and steering was noticeably more solid and confident feeling than my P-AWS. The P-AWS has always had a very "light" and "airy" driving feeling to it, literally like a "fly-by-wire" system, which while I like (to some degree), I believe also contributes to (IMO) the somewhat "cheapened" feeling of the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by holografique:
bronx1480 (01-07-2016), pgeorg (12-31-2015), Stew4HD (01-08-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Regarding the steering feel, I think because of the EV motor addition, the power steering assist has to be greater to overcome it, like the NSX. Thus to me it seems over boosted. I like the sport setting in the MDX as it is heavier. There is no option in the SH to change that setting. After test driving the "other" car I am debating purchasing which has serious sporting intent, the steering was the best I have ever experienced. In fact the whole driving experience is bad ass. If I end up making that purchase, that will be a thread all to its own. I don't have a three car garage (yet) and keeping one outside all the time is not desired, so that is part of the decision matrix.
Thanks for your opinion. I was just curious to know your thoughts. And doooooo eeeeeeet.......
Old 01-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
A quick note to add to the discussion of the RLX's suspension.

I've been driving the past month or so on my winter tires/rims which are 18 inch compared to my summer tires 19 inch. I've been driving around town a lot this past week and I've notice less of a "thump" when I hit a high or low manhole cover or an annoying pothole when compared to my summer tires.

The point I'm making is that, in my opinion, at least some of the complaints regarding the RLX suspension (I have none myself) may be due to the very short sidewall of the 19 inch tires giving a very different driving experience than some are used to with rims that provide greater sidewall "shock absorption".

Just my two cents based on my experience.
wstr75 (01-08-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
A quick note to add to the discussion of the RLX's suspension.

I've been driving the past month or so on my winter tires/rims which are 18 inch compared to my summer tires 19 inch. I've been driving around town a lot this past week and I've notice less of a "thump" when I hit a high or low manhole cover or an annoying pothole when compared to my summer tires.

The point I'm making is that, in my opinion, at least some of the complaints regarding the RLX suspension (I have none myself) may be due to the very short sidewall of the 19 inch tires giving a very different driving experience than some are used to with rims that provide greater sidewall "shock absorption".

Just my two cents based on my experience.
I have to agree. In general, Honda's do transmit more wheel thump into the cabin than other brands I have driven. And certainly this is amplified by the larger wheel / lower profile tire. And as much as I find Michelins a good tire, they are often chosen for low rolling resistance and better mileage results...favored by Honda. But I believe they also do not absorb impacts as well. I experienced this with my RL when I changed from OEM Michelins to Bridgestone Serenity tires. It dramatically quieted the wheel thump, which was greater than the RLX. I also wonder if this is a characteristic of double wishbone suspension?

Last, I do not think the struts / shocks are well suited for the expectations of a 'luxury' Acura buyer. I hear issues across models of similar complaints. I think the brand needs to redesign these components or replace the supplier.
The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
bronx1480 (01-07-2016), holografique (01-07-2016), Stew4HD (01-08-2016), wstr75 (01-08-2016)