Which accessories were useful?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Stealth Stylin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Which accessories were useful?

So of all the accessories available for the RLX, which ones did you find actually useful? I like the high-wall all-weather floor mats, and the protection film sounds good too. Are there any that you found really useful, or any that you wish you had?
Old 09-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I like the trunk tray - great for easy cleaning, especially if you have to haul something "messy". There is a whole thread on the need for the spare tire option - that one is a personal choice although I am glad to have one "just in case".
Good luck with your purchases.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
I am about to pull the trigger on the OEM mud guards. I have also seen some cars with the side molding. I am not too sold on those as I think it messes with the cars lines.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I got the side molding - I actually liked the look
Old 09-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
I have the mud guards; trunk tray; spare tire kit; and all weather mats. The mud guards are pretty good based on my experiences when I clay the car. There is noticeably less road junk and "stick" on the lower parts of the doors and rear bumper (at least in my experience) so I can promote those. Plus they blend pretty well with the car and are not too bulky or out of place.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:40 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
get the film protector. I think door handles, door edge and rear bumper near the trunk are OEM. Door handles are a must, keeps the diamonds on my ring from scratching them up. I also have the mud guards, trunk tray, side door molding. I can't see my car without any of it. Something I wish I had done was get the film protector on side mirrors and front bumper/hood. Too many rock chips from highway driving with dump trucks.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Red face My $.02

Let me preface my answer by saying that Acura in general is rather lacking in accessories but especially so for the RLX. It would have been nice to get some items like a chrome strip on the side door or more ambient interior lighting.

In my area, all Acura dealerships put on the protection package automatically: splash guards, trunk tray & wheel locks. I like the trunk tray bc it is custom fit and a lot easier to pull ut and clean rubber than it is to vacuum. I assume the physics of the splash works in protecting the lower parts of the car but I have no control group to compare that to. Wheel locks are kind of unnecessary for me - if I lived in a more urban/city area with street parking over night I would worry about the need.

I got the floor mats bc I like that they are a custom fit. In my TSX, I just bought an aftermarket set and it bothered me that it never fit right especially since the gas pedal was connected to the floor and suspended form the top so that the mat can slide underneath. The convenience of the trunk tray applies here.

I went for the side molding not only for the added possible protection but also the visual appeal. Granted, by itself I do not care much for the design but I like that it breaks up the profile of the car some and gives it more character.

The spare tire kit was under consideration for a while but I should have gotten it when I bought the RLX bc now I have a hard time paying $700 for it.

Finally, I toyed with the idea of the illuminated side sills but passed since the cost was kind of high for such a minor thing.

Happy Shopping!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 AM
Stealth Stylin'

Originally Posted by getakey
I got the side molding - I actually liked the look
Did you find that it protected the car from other car doors hitting it? Are the very few pics I've seen of it in the gallery, it seems like it's mounted too low to be of much protection.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Stealth Stylin'

Originally Posted by jpadilla
get the film protector. I think door handles, door edge and rear bumper near the trunk are OEM. Door handles are a must, keeps the diamonds on my ring from scratching them up. I also have the mud guards, trunk tray, side door molding. I can't see my car without any of it. Something I wish I had done was get the film protector on side mirrors and front bumper/hood. Too many rock chips from highway driving with dump trucks.
Agreed. I have film protector on another of my vehicles, and it's been one of the best add-ons that I got. I did not know you could do the side mirrors, so I'll ask the dealer about it.

It seems ironic/funny that we're adding another layer of protection when clear-coat is supposed to do the same thing for paint, but it's definitely a great add-on.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I found no accessories useful. :-)

I got the mud flaps just because maybe it'd help at some point...but anecdotal.

Got the side molding because...just because. It was offered along with the mud flaps as a value added incentive, so I did it. But there isn't really any proof it's done any good.

I got the rear spoiler because, again, offer of value added for dealing with my particular sales manager. In retrospect, I wish I had waited for the Modulo Honda spoiler to be accessible in the USA.

:-)
Old 09-13-2017, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by romrunning
Did you find that it protected the car from other car doors hitting it? Are the very few pics I've seen of it in the gallery, it seems like it's mounted too low to be of much protection.
It depends on the shape of other cars doors. I traded it in a few months ago. There were no nicks on the doors, so it may have worked.
I did like the look in that it broke up the side view of all metal. Have an MDX now and added the molding as well.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Stealth Stylin'

place to buy accessories?

Speaking of buying the accessories, do any of you have a recommended place to get the RLX ones - such as the high-wall all-weather floor mats? I know my dealer will sell them to me, but I remember several mentioned buying them from another online source.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:03 PM
Safety Car

there's a thread on the MDX forum

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-...sories-962421/
The following users liked this post:
romrunning (09-13-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
In order of utility

Window Tint - Dealer did a super job and used quality tint
Weather mats - a must have, in my opinion
Wheel locks - I hope I don't need them!
Door edge guards
Body side molding
Truck sill appliqué
Cargo net - sometime I love it but others it's in the way...
AcuraCare 7-year 100,000 mile extended warranty ($1615) - Ranked his last because I won't use it for at least four years and hope I wasted this money!

I had all my accessories except the extended warranty thrown into the sale by the dealer to close the deal, which isn't to say they were free but I feel like my overall purchase price was a fair value. I added the warranty ad the six month / ~4000 mile point. I also have Sirius XM and a radar detector, both of which are useful luxuries.