ACC Turned Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
ACC Turned Off

Was cruising at 75 with ACC
Motorcycle cut in front of me - within the ACC distance, but not close enough to activate Collision mitigation warning. However, ACC just turned off.
Anomaly? Coincidence?
Old 06-09-2017, 07:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Well, the icon on the ACC screen is a car, not a 'cycle. Seriously though, I would not think that would happen on its own.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:00 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I use ACC quite a bit, and mine will turn off in a variety of conditions, including blowing debris or unusual weather events.

Sometimes it will turn off on its own and flashes the warning that there is no vehicle ahead.

I understand that ACC would have to turn itself off under a variety of conditions when the programming might indicate that it's not safe to use ACC.

My main dissatisfaction with this is that there should be a more intrusive warning when ACC cuts off, because you might be relying on ACC to do the preliminary slow down when approaching an event or object.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:27 AM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Angry

I have encountered similar situation couple of times. Suddenly the ACC would turn off for no noticable reason. It would not switch back on in spite of several attempts. I have to pull over the car stop and start and the ACC would start back on. Mentioned this behavior to the service manager/adviso/technician and was told that no error codes what so ever in the system and no signs of such thing ever happened. I started living with this behaviour.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I use ACC quite a bit, and mine will turn off in a variety of conditions, including blowing debris or unusual weather events.

Sometimes it will turn off on its own and flashes the warning that there is no vehicle ahead.

I understand that ACC would have to turn itself off under a variety of conditions when the programming might indicate that it's not safe to use ACC.

My main dissatisfaction with this is that there should be a more intrusive warning when ACC cuts off, because you might be relying on ACC to do the preliminary slow down when approaching an event or object.
I'm not totally following your statement about no warning when if cuts off. Doesn't your car start to slow down immediately when it turns off? When I said turns off, I meant totally off not that it doesn't see a car ahead. My car started slowing down and I looked and there was no icon. Had to turn it back on using resume.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by getakey
I'm not totally following your statement about no warning when if cuts off. Doesn't your car start to slow down immediately when it turns off?
It depends on the situation you're in whether the car slows down enough that you notice ACC is off, if you've missed the beep and warning in the gauges.

:-)
Old 06-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

OK - I'll buy that
Old 06-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
The car shuts the ACC off if it detects conditions that make its use unreliable. If there is debris blowing across the road, if there is a motorcycle that suddenly cuts in front of you, the radar can't reliably detect what the object was or accurately judge its speed and so it shuts itself off to tell you that "unusual" conditions have been detected and the driver should be alert and fully in control of the car. I don't consider this a flaw in the system but rather a safety feature due to the limitations of the radar.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Angry "ACC Off" Msg

So for the past 2 days in a row, I have been driving with the Adaptive Cruise Control on when I hear a beep & then see the message "ACC Off". When I try to reset it, I get the beep & message again. I have had the RLX for 3 years without this occurrence so I am worried that there is a problem, but all the research I have done online suggests it might be circumstantial.

Both times it happened was on the way home from work, so not sure if the 96 degree weather had anything to do with it. The next day on my way in, it worked just fine.

I will say that yesterday when I got out of my car, there was a piece of pine straw in my grill around the Acura logo, not sure if that was the culprit.

Thoughts anyone? Thank you.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by TSX69
I will say that yesterday when I got out of my car, there was a piece of pine straw in my grill around the Acura logo, not sure if that was the culprit.
That might very well be the case. I've had my ACC turn off for weird reasons like a small scooter that doesn't seem to have been recognized well.

It has also turned off for snowfall.