28,000 on this set of tires then a pothole took out the sidewalls! - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine RL/RLX Community > Third Generation RLX (2013+)
Reload this Page >

28,000 on this set of tires then a pothole took out the sidewalls!

Notices

Old 11-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Thanked 1,068 Times in 474 Posts

That's right folks. A rain filled pothole ruined two sidewalls and bent a rim tonight! I still have 6/32nds of tread and they were still quiet and smooth riding after 28,000 miles. I thought I was going to get more than 50,000 miles on this set. Nope. Thanks New York Department of Transportation! This was after I missed a sink hole last week by straddling it and just missed it. What a bummer. Well a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 255/40/19 tires will be installed again shortly. What a waste.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid View Post
That's right folks. A rain filled pothole ruined two sidewalls and bent a rim tonight! I still have 6/32nds of tread and they were still quiet and smooth riding after 28,000 miles. I thought I was going to get more than 50,000 miles on this set. Nope. Thanks New York Department of Transportation! This was after I missed a sink hole last week by straddling it and just missed it. What a bummer. Well a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 255/40/19 tires will be installed again shortly. What a waste.
Ah. Those low profile tires. I wrecked three tires when I had the RLX. New England is one giant pot hole !
Old 11-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Happened to me twice - I always buy wheel and tire insurance.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by R. White View Post
Ah. Those low profile tires. I wrecked three tires when I had the RLX. New England is one giant pot hole !
I think you meant shit hole, but we should keep our language choices professional here.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by miner View Post
Happened to me twice - I always buy wheel and tire insurance.
It's funny you comment about that. I never buy the tire insurance normally, but I did on this last set for some reason. I found out that the insurance will partially pay towards the replacement. I'm still going to get 4 so they all match, but it is irritating. I'll get an alignment too just to be sure it didn't send that out of adjustment.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

I'm going to agree with R. White and condemn the trend towards lower profile tires.

What gives me pause for thought is the fact that tire and auto manufacturers are making a fortune selling replacement rims and replacement tires, so maybe the move to lower profile tires is a calculated move to boost profits??? I really would need to see the quantitative data on how much lower profile tires improve handling to see if the rougher ride and greater risk of damage are worthwhile. My suspicion is that the move to lower profile is driven by marketing (the typical salesmen can certainly be heard convincing the unsuspecting buyer that a 19 inch tire must be better than an 18 inch tire - it is "one better") and esthetic reasons and not vast improvements in handling or safety.

Sorry for your trouble RLX-Sport Hybrid. You've made me more paranoid than ever about avoiding potholes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hondamore For This Useful Post:
Pens Fan (11-07-2018), RLX-Sport Hybrid (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

I think you meant shit hole, but we should keep our language choices professional here.
Hey, watch what you say about my giant winter potholes. They're amazing! I've lost two tires and one rim to the NE so-called roads in my RLX.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by fsmith View Post

Hey, watch what you say about my giant winter potholes. They're amazing! I've lost two tires and one rim to the NE so-called roads in my RLX.
But you and I picked up a friend while commiserating about it! I hope you and the family are doing well. All my best.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hondamore View Post
I'm going to agree with R. White and condemn the trend towards lower profile tires.

What gives me pause for thought is the fact that tire and auto manufacturers are making a fortune selling replacement rims and replacement tires, so maybe the move to lower profile tires is a calculated move to boost profits??? I really would need to see the quantitative data on how much lower profile tires improve handling to see if the rougher ride and greater risk of damage are worthwhile. My suspicion is that the move to lower profile is driven by marketing (the typical salesmen can certainly be heard convincing the unsuspecting buyer that a 19 inch tire must be better than an 18 inch tire - it is "one better") and esthetic reasons and not vast improvements in handling or safety.

Sorry for your trouble RLX-Sport Hybrid. You've made me more paranoid than ever about avoiding potholes.
I have not actually worn out a full set of tires yet. In fact this set represents the most amount of miles I have successfully driven on before one or more got damaged. These are wearing perfectly. In fact I will keep two of the undamaged tires just in case this happens again 20-something thousand miles in the future, so hopefully I don't have to replace all four to keep them even regarding tread depth. Is this experience representative of the road conditions, tire construction, low profile design, or just bad luck? Bummer. Come to think of it, I had the same problem with my last cars before this which was a TL and my previous MDX.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

An Acura Wheel/Tire replacement for the RLX was $1250 when I had to do it. Insurance covered $800 of it.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

I don't want to jinx it, but I have been driving either an Acura TL, RLX P-AWS or RLX SH all on 19's since 2012 and have never had a tire or rim issue due to potholes. I guess that's one positive about higher Canadian taxes . If you see a pothole, you email/tweet or call the city and they go out and fix it right away. With some high travelled routes as an exception, our streets are quite good. Winter can be tough on the road surfaces, but they are still out there repairing potholes 365 days a year.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Limelight View Post
I don't want to jinx it, but I have been driving either an Acura TL, RLX P-AWS or RLX SH all on 19's since 2012 and have never had a tire or rim issue due to potholes. I guess that's one positive about higher Canadian taxes . If you see a pothole, you email/tweet or call the city and they go out and fix it right away. With some high travelled routes as an exception, our streets are quite good. Winter can be tough on the road surfaces, but they are still out there repairing potholes 365 days a year.
That is very unexpected to hear. Good for you and your local community or staying on top of the roads. My assumption is rust belt states tend to have the greatest chances for potholes just based on the temperature fluctuations.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

40 Series tires are a no go for me-will not consider it at all. As much as I like the MMC on the RLX the tire choice is unacceptable for the road conditions most of us endure.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

I thought this was a more mature forum than some of the others.
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by R. White View Post
I thought this was a more mature forum than some of the others.
I believe that is the case, however when we find ourselves being frustrated by things that can't be avoided, it is my understanding that the regulations state that at some point we all let a curse word out, which is acceptable under certain conditions. I don't think any of us would say "oh sugar" if we got into an accident or somehow damaged our cars. I do appreciate the comment though. All in good fun. Got the new tires on today. Back in business.