AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX (2013+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/)
-   -   2018 Dated Infotainment System?? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/2018-dated-infotainment-system-968334/)

AcuraGuy2016 03-24-2018 12:51 PM

2018 Dated Infotainment System??

Why did Acura choose not to update the dated archaic infotainment system with the 2018 RLX refresh? They updated the transmission for the base model and a host of other updates.

I would very seriously have been interested in a 2018 RLX Sport-Hybrid and kept it for 8+ years if they had at least the 2018 TLX infotainment.

I know the Honda/Acura Technology is available, since most Hondas and the 2018 TLX has better infotainment, with the newer Hondas being much better. I think the 2016+ Accord and Civics had something similar to the Acura NSX!!

Having the old dated system and no Android Auto on 2018 RLX totally kills this vehicle for me and I have no interest. That was a foolish decision on their part.

Pens Fan 03-25-2018 07:36 AM

Likely due to cost constraints but it seems to be a short sighted decision. In this competitive market a current infotainment offering should be included and as you point out Acura offers it on the 2018 TLX so it would seem a no brainer to include it on the flagship RLX.

Acura's attitude seem to be "take it or leave it" with this model. In fact I left two messages on Jonathon Rivers (RLX and TLX Product Planner) voicemail asking if swapping the 40 series tires for 45's would be ok since the low profile tires as original equipment are not appropriate for the potholed and generally degrading roads in the Northeast. He did not reply so I also passed on obtaining one. With the relatively slow sales of this model one would think a response was appropriate.

Rocket_man 04-13-2018 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016 (Post 16207737)
Why did Acura choose not to update the dated archaic infotainment system with the 2018 RLX refresh? They updated the transmission for the base model and a host of other updates.

I would very seriously have been interested in a 2018 RLX Sport-Hybrid and kept it for 8+ years if they had at least the 2018 TLX infotainment.

I know the Honda/Acura Technology is available, since most Hondas and the 2018 TLX has better infotainment, with the newer Hondas being much better. I think the 2016+ Accord and Civics had something similar to the Acura NSX!!

Having the old dated system and no Android Auto on 2018 RLX totally kills this vehicle for me and I have no interest. That was a foolish decision on their part.

Maybe the RLX is a beta test for Acura of the new 10-speed transmission before they stuck it in the RDX and eventually the TLX. Acura's product planning has often not made sense to folks here. Honda products got Andriod Auto and Car Play before Acura. Also possible the RLX is not a big enough money maker to warrant the investment.

KeithL 05-20-2018 06:38 PM

I am disappointed that the 18 refresh they did not at least refresh the head unit with at least the faster version with android auto and Apple car play that the refreshed TLX got.

647TTA 05-21-2018 09:31 AM

It could definitely be better, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I am sure they have a budget to stay within when doing their updates. It is vastly better than the touch pad controlled interface on my '17 Lexus RCF which is extremely frustrating to control. Especially on a car with a very stiff suspension like the RCF - and it doesn't have an Apple or Android app either. It is so much easier to have the touch screen like the RLX.

demosan 05-21-2018 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by KeithL (Post 16236297)
I am disappointed that the 18 refresh they did not at least refresh the head unit with at least the faster version with android auto and Apple car play that the refreshed TLX got.

I agree with all the previous comments in this thread. My guess as to the possible reason for the lack of upgrades to the HU in RLX has to do with the krell complexity of the whole audio chain in the current configuration. I am not offering this as any "excuse" for Acura's seemingly non customer oriented treatment of us RLX owners. If and when the RLX is eliminated from the Acura line-up, it is attitudes like this from Acura that will put the final nail in the coffin and part of the obituary IMHO................. Demosan

MuGen7Modulo 05-21-2018 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by demosan (Post 16236514)
I agree with all the previous comments in this thread. My guess as to the possible reason for the lack of upgrades to the HU in RLX has to do with the krell complexity of the whole audio chain in the current configuration. I am not offering this as any "excuse" for Acura's seemingly non customer oriented treatment of us RLX owners. If and when the RLX is eliminated from the Acura line-up, it is attitudes like this from Acura that will put the final nail in the coffin and part of the obituary IMHO................. Demosan

Easy there cowboy! No nail in the coffin talk here...

KeithL 06-02-2018 08:47 AM

I will be honest, I have drive the 18 SH AWD RLX now 3 times and then get back in my 15 SH-AWD TLX. The rides are very different, but had Acura done some updates to,the head unit I would already have the RLX. They just needed to add the TLX 18 updates, or something then add another 2-3 years to the car to milk the R&D back. I still question if they will replace the RLX since sales have been well under 200 units. Also the lack of ebony interior on themSilvee car is short sighted. I get they are making limited quan so variations need to be minimal, but I would think ebony interior would be more desirable than the light interior. Having been in both th light fake wood in the light interiors looks for faker and cheapy than the dark fake wood in the ebony interior.

my 2 options currently and both are available in my area are the Modern Steel Metallic or Red both with ebony interior.

sshah 11-03-2018 10:13 AM

I just found out - if you hold down the 3 top buttons on the touchpad it will take you into a "debug" mode.. From there if you long press the home button it will reboot the system. Don't have to pull the fuse.

fsmith 11-03-2018 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by sshah (Post 16325381)
I just found out - if you hold down the 3 top buttons on the touchpad it will take you into a "debug" mode.. From there if you long press the home button it will reboot the system. Don't have to pull the fuse.

Huh?

kurtatx 11-03-2018 06:03 PM

I'm not sure "Flagship" is all that meaningful of a word anymore considering the move away from sedan sales to crossovers, but if flagships still exist and the RLX is it, it's crazy they don't have the most up to date infotainment system.

For example, Audi's A8 has the latest infotainment system so I can tell i'm going to hate it for the next generation :rofl:

Love the exterior looks, though.

George Knighton 11-04-2018 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by fsmith (Post 16325468)
Huh?

I don't know what he's talking about but I'm certainly going to look the next time I get in the car. :-)

kingofire 11-05-2018 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by George Knighton (Post 16325683)
I don't know what he's talking about but I'm certainly going to look the next time I get in the car. :-)

I think he's in the wrong forum. The only car that has a touch pad is the new RDX so I am assuming he mixed RDX with RLX.

George Knighton 11-05-2018 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by kingofire (Post 16326140)
I think he's in the wrong forum. The only car that has a touch pad is the new RDX so I am assuming he mixed RDX with RLX.

If anybody had seen me, I'd have felt silly trying to push buttons.

Luckily nobody was looking but the dog.

kingofire 11-05-2018 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by George Knighton (Post 16326196)
If anybody had seen me, I'd have felt silly trying to push buttons.

Luckily nobody was looking but the dog.

Haha kinda like the Bush baked bean's commercial. Only the dog knows!!!

Ken1997TL 11-05-2018 11:22 AM

It seems like a huge oversight that they knowingly build a flagship vehicle that can't have a modular infotainment system that can be easily upgraded, especially by the actual manufacturer.

Even more importantly, they could sell this as a dealer installed accessory for say a 2014 RLX owner who wanted the latest and greatest for a mere $3000+ or whatever number they came up with. Unplug, remove, install, test and done.

Think about it, I can grab an Acura from the mid 90's with a 2 DIN space and put in all kinds of features in under 15 minutes. I can upgrade the speakers & add sound deadening in a matter of a couple hours.

I've done this before and it is absolutely maddening that Acura doesn't offer this and meanwhile misses a revenue opportunity on top of that.

sshah 11-05-2018 01:02 PM

Sorry wrong forum.. my bad

jtatore 01-08-2019 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by sshah (Post 16325381)

when my car's display is frozen holding the top keypad buttons doesn't work ... again starnge why this works on some cars and not others

Zari Petkov 07-22-2019 10:45 AM

Just had the infotainment froze and wouldn't turn off after the car was off. Bad timing while camping... found some tools to disconnect the battery and fixed it.

Not sure what sort of diagnostics dealer can perform. It's just crap android calibration.