2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
We have a hidden quad exhaust. That exhaust should be shown to the world (with some appropriate polished tips, of course). The Hybrid is a PERFORMANCE hybrid, so more reason to show exhaust tips IMHO.
It's kind if funny in a sad way when you think about it. Put dual exhausts and literally push them all the way to the end of the car only to hide them? The first time I noticed what Acura was doing we were driving behind a 2013-2015 RDX on a cold day and I noticed exhaust smoke coming out of both sides of the bumper and then it occured to me that they had dual exhausts but were hiding them. Like why?
Old 03-03-2017, 07:56 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
It's kind if funny in a sad way when you think about it. Put dual exhausts and literally push them all the way to the end of the car only to hide them? The first time I noticed what Acura was doing we were driving behind a 2013-2015 RDX on a cold day and I noticed exhaust smoke coming out of both sides of the bumper and then it occured to me that they had dual exhausts but were hiding them. Like why?
I think Acura was thinking of it in a green mentality. Honda is heavy into environmental impact engineering. And I think for a short time, some genius decided the brand would try this....until everyone started screaming.

As mentioned above, many hybrids have hidden exhaust. Lexus does this with the ESh and GSh. But as Bob says above (and I agree), the SPORT Hybrid should not do so. I think it boils down to PC over design.

They have returned to exposed dual exhaust on the MDX, and I expect it will return on the other models with MMC and FMC.
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (03-03-2017), pgeorg (03-03-2017), wstr75 (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I really don't care if people can see my exhaust tips. But, then, I also keep my pants pulled up.

:-)

For whatever one dumb old man's opinion is worth.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 11:10 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

....anyone got a rusty screwdriver I can borrow to gouge out my mind's eye?

George, first you call Bob a jerk (twice)... now you are hanging out in the forum with your pants down?

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 03-03-2017 at 11:17 AM.
pgeorg (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
I think Acura was thinking of it in a green mentality. Honda is heavy into environmental impact engineering. And I think for a short time, some genius decided the brand would try this....until everyone started screaming.

As mentioned above, many hybrids have hidden exhaust. Lexus does this with the ESh and GSh. But as Bob says above (and I agree), the SPORT Hybrid should not do so. I think it boils down to PC over design.

They have returned to exposed dual exhaust on the MDX, and I expect it will return on the other models with MMC and FMC.
It just goes to show you how out of touch with reality Honda is. That kind of thinking might sell well in places like california, but it doesn't sell well everywhere else. So what if it is a Hybrid, it is a SPORT hybrid as you say, so it NEEDS to have some damn exhaust tips. Here in my province we have somethig that just came out called "carbon tax" and people are losing their collective shit over it. So IMHO the general population gives ZERO SHITS about being "green" when it inpacts them in a negative way.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
I really don't care if people can see my exhaust tips. But, then, I also keep my pants pulled up.

:-)

For whatever one dumb old man's opinion is worth.

In this car's case, though, why have a quad exhaust that's hidden, when a single exhaust hidden under the bumper will do? There must be some engineering reason for it, else the designer is the protypical young guy (it's always a guy) who wears his pants hanging, sticking it to The Man, trying to show design sense in a way that won't get him fired. LOL
pgeorg (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
its quad so when you look under the bumper you get a good feeling
The following 3 users liked this post by getakey:
neuronbob (03-03-2017), pgeorg (03-03-2017), TampaRLX-SH (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by RDX10
That kind of thinking might sell well in places like california, but it doesn't sell well everywhere else.
As a brand, Acura is VERY California in it's mentality of style. Several surveys I have recveived in the past were focused on style, taste, image, etc. Nearly all of the attributes they wanted me to rate / relate to, were California icons. Sailing in Monterrey, Driving through wine country, A coastal drive at sundown (although I can do that in Florida), A night on the Red Carpet. etc.

And the Acura Design Studio is based there.with the the environmental theme in the structure:
The layout of the new Acura design studio promotes collaboration between the interior and exterior designers by combining their workspaces. With the development of the new design studio makes the future of Acura vehicle design to further be ingrained in North America. The Japanese company has officially opened its $15 million Acura Design Studio in Torrance, California is uniquely different from its parent company Honda's existing design facilities that are located in Torrance and Pasadena.

Acura has built its reputation as being the first Japanese luxury automaker that has been able to both design and manufacture vehicles in North America. Almost two-thirds of the all Acuras currently sold in the US are developed and manufactured exclusively in North America.

The new studio will feature cutting-edge design technology that includes computer-generated simulator which designers may employ to display full-size one to one ratio vehicle mockups. There is also a layout of parallel interior and exterior design areas to encourage teamwork among designers.

According to Toshihiko Nonaka, President of Honda R&D Americans, "This Acura Design Studio will help conceive and design the future of Acura. Our goal here is to create emotional designs that create a strong and distinct image for Acura products."

A Highly Efficient Design Studio
The studio has officially opened last March 24 and is built for high energy efficiency with a goal to become a certified Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design or LEED building by the US Green Building Council.

The studio's Energy Star-rated reflective roof minimizes the need for air-conditioning by controlling the heat inside the building. Its intelligent lightning system maximizes the use of natural light while another special system reclaims water for use in landscaping....
The Acura Design Studio will be critical in our efforts to deliver products at the right times and ahead of the competition.
Personally, I have always felt Acura was west-coast-centric.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

I can attest that there certainly are a lot of Acuras in CA
Old 03-03-2017, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

As a brand, Acura is VERY California in it's mentality of style. Several surveys I have recveived in the past were focused on style, taste, image, etc. Nearly all of the attributes they wanted me to rate / relate to, were California icons. Sailing in Monterrey, Driving through wine country, A coastal drive at sundown (although I can do that in Florida), A night on the Red Carpet. etc.

And the Acura Design Studio is based there.with the the environmental theme in the structure:

Personally, I have always felt Acura was west-coast-centric.
Lol I'm not even from the states and I got that california impression. Good luck to them as a brand if they are trying to cater to one state in north america.
TampaRLX-SH (03-03-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Grandpa

... sticking it to The Man....
????

Hello, 1972 called and wants her lingo back.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by getakey
I can attest that there certainly are a lot of Acuras in CA

There are a bazillion Acura's here in Cleveland, too. They are mostly MDXs, though. They are far outnumbered here by the GM Lamba trio (Enclave/Traverse/Acadia), which is probably not the case in California.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^

Old 03-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
If you fast forward to the video at about 0:50, where the 2nd prototype hits the brakes, you can see some of the LED pipe lighting show through. At a closer look, it appears it may be similar to the same three-pipe LED tail lighting of the current gen Accord. Definitely different from the current RLX tail-light design.

The brief shot of the front as they passed the first prototype looked potentially promising. But overall I'm not seeing a major difference in the shape of the design. Still has the high reaching "greenhouse" hump/curve that keeps the car from having a sportier, more sleeker stance to it. It also still carries that higih standing trunk area that keeps giving all the cars this look as though they are almost more a sport-back/fast-back design (e.g. BMW Gran Tourismo models) versus a sleek sporty low-slung sedan.

That whole fast-back design language IMO is horrible, and don't understand why car companies are doing it. It makes what is supposed to be a sedan design look big and dumpy.
pgeorg (03-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Looks like the RLX, and it looks like the front grille on the new MDX.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
If you fast forward to the video at about 0:50, where the 2nd prototype hits the brakes, you can see some of the LED pipe lighting show through. At a closer look, it appears it may be similar to the same three-pipe LED tail lighting of the current gen Accord. Definitely different from the current RLX tail-light design.

The brief shot of the front as they passed the first prototype looked potentially promising. But overall I'm not seeing a major difference in the shape of the design. Still has the high reaching "greenhouse" hump/curve that keeps the car from having a sportier, more sleeker stance to it. It also still carries that higih standing trunk area that keeps giving all the cars this look as though they are almost more a sport-back/fast-back design (e.g. BMW Gran Tourismo models) versus a sleek sporty low-slung sedan.

That whole fast-back design language IMO is horrible, and don't understand why car companies are doing it. It makes what is supposed to be a sedan design look big and dumpy.
Being a MMC, they wouldn't change the body whatsoever. It's always limited to stuff easily switched out... lights, bumpers, hood, trunk. The general architecture of the car stays the same. They won't change the body until the 2G RLX is released. If the roof changed, the glass would change, the interior panels would change, etc. Might as well just release an all new car
neuronbob (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Racer

It does look like they exposed the dual exhaust instead of hiding it. I like that aspect, so really the 14-17's could just replace the bumpers and it be the same car.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Team Owner

well, bumpers, front grill, likely headlights and taillights, potentially changing exhaust pipes, maybe even the hood and trunk lid. Depending on how the tail lights look, they may not be able to swap between the 14-17 style and the 18+ style, due to the rear quarter panel looking different, around the tail light. It's not necessarily all that straight forward to swap.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:33 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Retrofitting MMC updates regularly surfaces on the forums. I do like the return of the dual exhaust tips. Many hybrids of other brands typically hide the exhaust tips on the hybrid models. I thought so too with the MMC RLX SH. But since the MDX SH has exposed tips, it looks like Acura rode the pendulum swing all the way back and commits to the SPORT in SH.

The primary feature I think will be in the MMC that I hope may be retrofitted would be a power trunk lid. Although the MMC spy shots look promising, I cannot say I see much that would make me yearn for. The new grille proportions need to be examined closer, but so far I cannot say I like it more than the current. And I cannot say I like it less. It would also be nice if there was a software ubgrade (for a an accessory fee) that would add Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to our head units. Acura is behind the curve on this, especially since it is available in new Honda models.
Malibu Flyer (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
. It would also be nice if there was a software ubgrade (for a an accessory fee) that would add Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to our head units. Acura is behind the curve on this, especially since it is available in new Honda models.
Upgrading the entire infotainment system, software and hardware, is a necessary improvement IMHO. The outside appearance of the car is less important to me than the functionality. Now if they can only find a way to increase the trunk size of the Sport Hybrid........

My expectations for big wow changes are pretty low, but that is OK since I still love my 2014 Sport Hybrid. Now if they would only market the Sport Hybrid [and the PAWS ] and produce a few more so the car gains the respect it deserves and the resale value would reach acceptable levels.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Repost from the previous page.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Exclamation Tlx mmc

So the TLX MMC debuts today & it should give us an idea of what to expect for the RLX. The red interior is really nice - so glad Acura is trying to jazz up their cars. It has red lines around the chrome bits. I really really hope that this is ambient lighting and not just some painted stripes:

http://www.themanual.com/auto/2018-a...edan-debut/#/4
Acura Debuts a Sharper, More Advanced TLX Sport Sedan
Written by Miles Branman — Posted on 4.11.17

ShareTweetPin It
Acura has had a rough go of it the last few years, proffering uninspired entry-level luxury vehicles with a vague sense of design language.

Finally, things are looking up. The all-new NSX supercar is here with its sophisticated hybrid drivetrain and futuristic looks. Acura’s MDX crossover has been significantly updated inside and out to make it one of the most compelling midsize models. Now, the Japanese automaker is throwing another log on the fire with a redesigned TLX sedan.

The 2018 TLX debuted at the 2017 New York Auto Show and we like what we see.

Acura’s Precision Concept can be seen throughout the new TLX’s sharp, aggressive exterior design cues. Most notably, a new diamond pentagon grille sits between new Jewel-eye headlights and below a re-sculpted hood. New 17- and 18-inch wheel designs give the sedan an eye-catching profile. At the rear, an updated fascia, dual chrome exhaust ports, and rear diffuser finish off the sporty aesthetic.

“We’ve really upped the ante in terms of styling, emotion, and road presence, more effectively communicating the TLX’s dynamic capabilities,” said Jon Ikeda, Acura vice president and general manager.

More: Buick Is Changing The Regal’s Mission With A Wagon and Four-Door Coupe

Powering the 2018 TLX is your choice of 2.4-liter inline 4-cylinder or V6 engines. Outputs for both powertrains have not yet been released.

There will be 3 distinct trims, including the new TLX A-Spec kit. Available with front or all-wheel drive, the V6 A-Spec adds round LED fog lights, aggressive side sills, large round dual-exhaust ports, and a gloss black decklid spoiler. The range-topping TLX is also fitted with dark-finish 19-inch wheels, a more precise steering system, and sport-tuned suspension.

Every 2018 TLX will ship with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and AcuraWatch safety technologies. An optional Advance Package adds a Surround View Camera, wireless phone charging, LED ambient lighting, power-folding side mirrors, a heated steering wheel, and heated rear seats. Acura’s new 2-screen infotainment system debuts in the TLX with a faster response and more intuitive menus.

The 2018 TLX hits showrooms this June. Pricing information will be released closer to its on-sale date.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

They have made some nice trim detail improvements, and especially the interior. I like the two tone interiors (as offered on the JDM LEGEND). And I like the new grille on the MDX, but the proportions bother me on the TLX. At first glance, head on, the TLX looks like a slammed CUV. Maybe being introduced to the grille on the MDX first, but the MDX is a large vehicle and can handle the large grille center 'A'.

I would like to see a two tone interior offered in the RLX (leather-wise) and some detailed stitching as the MDX Advance sports. I like the subtle ambient lighting in the RLX and think the illumintaed piping stay best suited for the TLX sportier nature. They also talk of revisions to the 2 screen infotainment interface with Android and Apple interfaces. If the hardware itself is unchanged, perhaps there will be a possibility to upgrade the flash in our head units? (Yeah, I can dream).
Old 04-11-2017, 06:05 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
If the hardware itself is unchanged, perhaps there will be a possibility to upgrade the flash in our head units? (Yeah, I can dream).
Ha! Dream on, Tampa.
neuronbob (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

....and pigs will fly, Tampa, and Hell will freeze over, before we have two-tone interiors and flash upgrades for our hardware in the RLX.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

....and pigs will fly, Tampa, and Hell will freeze over, before we have two-tone interiors and flash upgrades for our hardware in the RLX.
Next thing you will tell me is that there is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny. What do you do for kicks? Sucker punch nuns?
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (04-12-2017), jwong77 (04-11-2017), neuronbob (04-12-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Team Owner

And steals candy from children
Old 04-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Safety Car

have you seen that College Exam question about Hell freezing over?
Old 04-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by getakey
have you seen that College Exam question about Hell freezing over?
No. But I am certain the snowflakes will declare it a 'Safe Zone'.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Racer

I would like red leather seats in the RLX, it would look so nice.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
because red means GO FAST!
I think the RLX should remain classy and not get the red seats. lol
Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
^^I agree. Red interiors are best suited for sports cars. Luxury sedans call for a classier, more relaxing interior.

That said, if they offered a special red interior as a dealer installed option or special order option, those that enjoy red interiors could pay the price to have it without dealerships having to stock several more possible combinations of interior/exterior colors.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Grandpa

....and pigs will fly, Tampa....
Eleanor of Aquitaine, to Henry II Plantagenet, Fitzempress:

"There'll be pork in the tree tops come morning."
neuronbob (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 09:27 AM

i mean the iteration in the TLX looks okay, but is very loud.
in an unassuming car like the RLX, I wouldnt want my interior to scream "HEY LOOK AT ME!"
a nice creame or beige or brown would do it for me. or even Classic black
Old 04-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Grandpa

Unless they give us a complete surprise with what's coming up, I believe I'm resolved to wait until 2020, or move to another marque.
The following 3 users liked this post by George Knighton:
Malibu Flyer (04-16-2017), neuronbob (04-12-2017), TampaRLX-SH (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 09:47 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I agree the bright red is not appropriate for the RLX. But the brown (Bruno) offered on the JDM LEGEND is tasteful IMHO. I see two color interiors in several upscale cars.

The following 5 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (04-12-2017), justnspace (04-12-2017), Limelight (04-12-2017), moose66 (04-12-2017), pgeorg (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 AM

wow! pretty
Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I love the mid-brown, saddle leather interiors, they definitely add a classy look. I believe that color interior is now available in the MDX.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:38 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
I love the mid-brown, saddle leather interiors, they definitely add a classy look. I believe that color interior is now available in the MDX.
That is a very pretty saddle tan. If they could do that with just the right shade of dark blue exterior....
Old 04-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator

That color ....that looks just right with the black interior.

Quick Reply: 2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18)