AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX (2013+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/)
-   -   2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/2018-acura-rlx-mmc-2018-spy-pics-pg-15-reveal-pg-18-a-920348/)

TSX69 10-27-2014 06:26 PM

2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18)

So this has been mentioned a couple of times in various threads but there is a rumor that the 2016 RLX will be refreshed & improved much like the upcoming ILX. Supposedly, there will be no 2015 hybrid model either.

I spoke to a salesman trying to find out if they were getting in a 2014 hybrid & he basically stated they were not because of the above and that they were waiting for the 2016 hybrid which is due out in the spring of 2015. He also stated that Acura was not giving them any incentives for the 2014 so they did not want to gamble having to sell 1 without some $ from Acura to help.

Any insiders with some info on this? If true, a ~6 month wait would be worth a better car (be it cosmetically, mechanically or both) but I would hate to wait and then have it delayed over and over again like the currently RLX hybrid.

Thanks!

TampaRLX-SH 10-27-2014 07:13 PM

TSX69,,,,you are one of the best researched and contributors of factual data and stats on this forum.

I am digging for info myself, but in typical Honda fashion, upcoming release information is well suppressed.

I have seen references to launching the LEGEND again in Japan at the end of the year. And the autonomy (Honda Sense) features shown on the 'Honda Legend' show the test apparatus on an RLX.

My best guess is the release of the LEGEND will coincide with the packaging targeted for the 2016 RLX. I expect some content additions, repackaging and perhaps pricing adjustments. I did see a site referring the LEGEND offered in SHAWD and Sport Hybrid trim, but the site did not seem too credible as the photos depicted the 2nd Gen RL / Legend.

I am all for waiting until spring, not only to get a freshly build SH RLX, but hopefully a 2016MY with some enhancements.

And speaking of,,,,is it time to start a thread with the MMC wish list?

hondamore 10-27-2014 07:56 PM

MMC SH-SHAWD RLX wish list:
1. Twin turbos
2. Lower price
3. Bigger trunk

Ok, adding #1 will make #2 impossible and #3 won't happen without making it look like a station wagon... SO, I'll settle for...

4. Readily AVAILABLE at my local dealership for a reasonable discount off MSRP.

panamera125 10-27-2014 08:01 PM

I hope they do keep the hybrid going without stopping model years, and improve the styling for 2016. The hybrid version has great potential in my opinion against any of the Germans. For $60k, BMW gives you a 528i 240hp with about the same equipment as an RLX hybrid base for the same money, 370hp.

neuronbob 10-27-2014 08:14 PM

I want:

1. Wider availability
2. Modified exterior styling. It looks handsome as is but could use a little pizzazz in the front. Perhaps an "A-Spec" body kit would do the trick.
3. New wheel options
4. Heated and ventilated rear seats
5. Cooled (not ventilated) front seats
6. Magnetic ride control with adjustable suspension settings

George Knighton 10-27-2014 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by TSX69 (Post 15214393)
He also stated that Acura was not giving them any incentives for the 2014

I heard this from my own dealer, so I know at least that little part of it is true.

:-)

George Knighton 10-27-2014 08:49 PM

I also heard the 2016 model would be easier to build in Ohio than Saiyama.

stagefoursurvivor 10-27-2014 09:10 PM

Has anyone made a serious inquiry on ordering a 2015 RLXh?
Not-for-nuthin, Acura hasn't made any official announcement that they produced 200 2014 RLXh's and stated "that's all there is, we ain't making' anymore..."

George Knighton 10-27-2014 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor (Post 15214564)
Has anyone made a serious inquiry on ordering a 2015 RLXh?
Not-for-nuthin, Acura hasn't made any official announcement that they produced 200 2014 RLXh's and stated "that's all there is, we ain't making' anymore..."

Well, let's see.

What we do know is how many the dealers got, and we know that Saiyama is back on the regular RLX....so it's not looking especially cheerful for people wanting a 2014 Sports Hybrid.

Somebody said that the 20 highest volume dealers were going to get a second car, even though some dealers never got one.

So there's some small hope.

stagefoursurvivor 10-27-2014 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by George Knighton (Post 15214565)
Well, let's see.

What we do know is how many the dealers got, and we know that Saiyama is back on the regular RLX....so it's not looking especially cheerful for people wanting a 2014 Sports Hybrid.

Somebody said that the 20 highest volume dealers were going to get a second car, even though some dealers never got one.

So there's some small hope.

GK,

Forgive my impertinence but, how do we KNOW Saiyama(or anywhere else) isn't working on an RLXh?

George Knighton 10-27-2014 09:20 PM

#258 just showed up in Richmond so now I don't know what to think.

George Knighton 10-27-2014 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor (Post 15214570)
GK,

Forgive my impertinence but, how do we KNOW Saiyama(or anywhere else) isn't working on an RLXh?

The overt evidence would be the dates on the 2015 RLX's that are already showing up.

But I take your point. :-)

stagefoursurvivor 10-27-2014 09:39 PM

It seems completely idiotic that they'd ramp up and continue to produce a model, the PAWS, that has faired so poorly when they have a model that has, at the very least, the possibility of being a rousing success in comparison.

Honestly, I'm scratching my head, saying WTH are they thinkin'?

Colin 10-27-2014 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor (Post 15214593)
It seems completely idiotic that they'd ramp up and continue to produce a model, the PAWS, that has faired so poorly when they have a model that has, at the very least, the possibility of being a rousing success in comparison.

Honestly, I'm scratching my head, saying WTH are they thinkin'?

I don't think they can get the batteries they need to make all the hybrids (across all models, including Hondas) that they want to make.

stagefoursurvivor 10-27-2014 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 15214606)
I don't think they can get the batteries they need to make all the hybrids (across all models, including Hondas) that they want to make.

Really???

I don't claim to know diddly about the technology/production of hybrid batteries but, other manufacturers like Tesla, Toyota, etc seem to produce them or acquire them in sufficient quantities.

neuronbob 10-27-2014 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor (Post 15214564)
Has anyone made a serious inquiry on ordering a 2015 RLXh? Not-for-nuthin, Acura hasn't made any official announcement that they produced 200 2014 RLXh's and stated "that's all there is, we ain't making' anymore..."

I did. Salesperson told me of 2016 (not 2015) model, and that he wasn't sure when orders would be going in. I offered a deposit but told it wasn't necessary. Couldn't tell me if they were going to receiving another 2014. Don't know if they were just trying to get me into a TLX (ie a car they do have in stock), but that wasn't mentioned.

Colin 10-27-2014 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor (Post 15214624)
Really???

I don't claim to know diddly about the technology/production of hybrid batteries but, other manufacturers like Tesla, Toyota, etc seem to produce them or acquire them in sufficient quantities.

That is the problem. Toyota/Tesla seem to have them all locked up. It's like trying to make any other phone but an iPhone in China. There is nobody left to produce them in huge quantities because Apple has Pegatron and Foxconn under longterm contracts.

hondamore 10-28-2014 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 15214683)
That is the problem. Toyota/Tesla seem to have them all locked up. It's like trying to make any other phone but an iPhone in China. There is nobody left to produce them in huge quantities because Apple has Pegatron and Foxconn under longterm contracts.

AHA!! Toyota, aka the Evil Empire, are hogging all the batteries to build a death star and so I have to wait to get a Sport Hybrid RLX. Where's Yoda when you need him.

cyler 10-28-2014 08:17 AM

The 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid was officially announced at the 2013 LA Auto Show last November. The 2014 LA Auto Show starts 3 weeks from Friday (November 21). Perhaps we'll learn more then.:wish:

George Knighton 10-28-2014 09:56 AM

Am I mistaken, or did I notice some battery talk when the hype about the Sports Hybrid started?

Is there something about the type of battery technology that they wanted to use?

Is it unusual to have LIon batteries in a hybrid?

Zoommer 10-28-2014 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 15214650)
I did. Salesperson told me of 2016 (not 2015) model, and that he wasn't sure when orders would be going in. I offered a deposit but told it wasn't necessary. Couldn't tell me if they were going to receiving another 2014. Don't know if they were just trying to get me into a TLX (ie a car they do have in stock), but that wasn't mentioned.

Neuronbob, I believe one more 2014 is showing up later in Nov at the dealer I bought from.

Colin 10-28-2014 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by George Knighton (Post 15215011)
Am I mistaken, or did I notice some battery talk when the hype about the Sports Hybrid started?

Is there something about the type of battery technology that they wanted to use?

Is it unusual to have LIon batteries in a hybrid?

I believe that LiOn is the norm these days. Back in the earliest days of this type of drive system (Honda Dualnote), Honda was experimenting with super capacitors.

Terry RL 10-28-2014 08:27 PM

RLX MMC Wishlight(All of the following will probably never happen)
-Adjustable thigh support and power height adjustable headrests(front seats)
-Real Wood
-Somewhat easier to use controls
-Better 3D building map rendering
-Audio and Navi controls from rear
-Rear entertainment system(Similar to MDX)
-Quad Zone Climate Control(Similar to MDX)
-IDS
-Power Trunk(was available MY08-12 JDM honda legend)
-Revised Front and rear
-Adjustable rear seat(found in 66k K900)
-Wood steering wheel

Rocket_man 10-28-2014 11:20 PM

New Driver Assist for MMC?

Honda develops new suite of driver-assist technologies | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews

"By Ben HsuSaturday, Oct 25th, 2014 @ 2:18 pm
Honda is introducing the next generation of its driver-assist technology. The system combines new tricks with existing ones in a unified package called Honda Sensing, which will debut in the Japanese-market Honda Legend (called the Acura RLX in the US) before the end of the year. ..."

Maybe this will be in the MMC??

holografique 10-29-2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Terry RL (Post 15215922)
RLX MMC Wishlight(All of the following will probably never happen)
-Adjustable thigh support and power height adjustable headrests(front seats)
-Real Wood
-Somewhat easier to use controls
-Better 3D building map rendering
-Audio and Navi controls from rear
-Rear entertainment system(Similar to MDX)
-Quad Zone Climate Control(Similar to MDX)
-IDS
-Power Trunk(was available MY08-12 JDM honda legend)
-Revised Front and rear
-Adjustable rear seat(found in 66k K900)
-Wood steering wheel

you captured most of my requests Terry, with the exception of the following:

* upgraded NAV / Entertainment system performance (faster, more responsive)
* panoramic moon-roof option
* more wheel-rim options
* improved ambient cabin lighting
* driver-seat leg-extension adjustment control
* remote start included (optional? seriously? at $61k msrp?)
* illuminated door sills included (again...optional?)
* DV-R or "playback buffer" type functionality for capturing/streaming XM/Sirius content (e.g. allow up to several minutes of recorded playback so you can rewind or listen to something you may have missed)

The problem with Acura is they don't offer enough options for those of us who are willing (or able) to spend more money on their cars. The fact that we are buying their flagship vehicle should be enough to say "hey, these are our clients that can afford more and as a result: are likely willing to spend more money for additional luxury features to customize their experience".

They just don't give us squat.

Terry RL 10-29-2014 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by holografique (Post 15216601)
The problem with Acura is they don't offer enough options for those of us who are willing (or able) to spend more money on their cars. The fact that we are buying their flagship vehicle should be enough to say "hey, these are our clients that can afford more and as a result: are likely willing to spend more money for additional luxury features to customize their experience".

They just don't give us squat.

I agree with you one-hundred percent holografique. The RLX is the flagship, and it should have what every other Acura has, and a lot more. For 65-70k the K900 and Eqqus give you all the luxury features, and they they real don't take any 'Acura-like' short cuts. I would expect just a tad more from the RLX, but nevertheless, the RLX SH-AWD has got it where it counts(under the hood and at the wheels). But the really cutting-edge(cool) features just aren't present, standard or optionally. In regards to the RLX, Acura needs to blow away the typical Honda factor of value and rational thinking. Instead, Acura needs to look at the competition and give the RLX every possible option that all the other luxury sedans have. If they don't do this in an MMC, the RLX will go the same route the RL did(no sales). Acura needs to pick up where they left off with the RLX launch failure; come on, releasing a MY2014 car now?

Acura can do better, they need to realize the older target market of the RLX; they have money. They'll spend more money to get more car.

Colin 10-29-2014 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Terry RL (Post 15217085)
I agree with you one-hundred percent holografique. The RLX is the flagship, and it should have what every other Acura has, and a lot more. For 65-70k the K900 and Eqqus give you all the luxury features, and they they real don't take any 'Acura-like' short cuts.

Does they Equis use the Euro style of factory ordered line-by-line options or are they doing 2-3 versions that are equipped into packages? Acura is simply not structured to move to a 'build to order' method of dong business. Everything in the chain from leases that expire every two months, to tracking and building cars, seem to dictate it will never be in this position without a radical rethink of the entire supply chain.

Malibu Flyer 10-29-2014 11:57 PM

Does a number make a real difference???

Being one of the first to be driving a 2014 Sports Hybrid I wanted to chime in on the fact that I bought what some may consider last year's model because the 2015 RLX PAWS are out.

Frankly I don't really care what the model year is attached to my Sports Hybrid. Just because the rules require Acura to call the car a 2014 it doesn't take away one iota of my pleasure in driving a truly remarkable car. Yes Acura botched the introduction of the car but given the choice of putting their top of the line car on the market when there was still some yet undefined problem or holding it back until this car with marvelous engineering was ready for prime time, I think they made the correct choice. I think at the end of the day my 2014 Sports Hybrid will not be worth any less than if it had a 2015 model year attached to it. Acura will either put out a 2015 later this year or call it a 2016, either way, my car is only a year earlier version. My only regret is that Acura didn't produce more of them so more the members of Acurazine could experience what we all have come to expect from Acura.....cutting edge technology, luxury at a reasonable price. That is my evaluation of the Sports Hybrid, the year on the title to me is irrelevant. The joy of driving this beast is everything.

I had to wait over 18 months for the car to come out after the PAWS version came out, but i feel it was worth the wait. If the PAWS car had AWD and a few other feature I might have considered it. I think Acura did stub their toe on that RLX but I will be surprised if they don't add some kind of AWD version of the regular RLX in the next couple of years. For me the current PAWS edition is of no interest but the Sports Hybrid is a home run, regardless what number is on the title.

CFoote 10-30-2014 08:30 AM

I would actually be quite happy with a 2014, as annual 'property' taxes in my state would be a lot less on a 2014.

neuronbob 10-30-2014 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zoommer (Post 15215087)
Neuronbob, I believe one more 2014 is showing up later in Nov at the dealer I bought from.

Thanks.

Test driving a Tech today just to get a feel for the eSH-AWD, which is my main interest in this car. I don't plan to settle for less than an Advance unless I get a hell of a deal. Dealer's looking for an Advance for me. Stay tuned.....

Malibu Flyer 10-30-2014 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 15218198)
Thanks.

Test driving a Tech today just to get a feel for the eSH-AWD, which is my main interest in this car. I don't plan to settle for less than an Advance unless I get a hell of a deal. Dealer's looking for an Advance for me. Stay tuned.....

Anxious to hear you eValuation of the Sports Hybrid. Let us know what you think. The bells and whistles of the Advance won't make much difference in the way it drives. Be sure to try out both the "sport" and regular drive settings.

iutodd 10-30-2014 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by George Knighton (Post 15214540)
I also heard the 2016 model would be easier to build in Ohio than Saiyama.

There's an insider over on TOV (you might have seen it) who says that the RLX in it's current form is dead.

So take that for what you will - nobody really seems to know what it means yet - either it's an MMC, a complete killing or something else entirely.

neuronbob 10-30-2014 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer (Post 15218246)
Anxious to hear you eValuation of the Sports Hybrid. Let us know what you think. The bells and whistles of the Advance won't make much difference in the way it drives. Be sure to try out both the "sport" and regular drive settings.

I did. :what: Full report to come later.

Bottom line: HOLY WOW.

George Knighton 10-30-2014 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by iutodd (Post 15218603)
There's an insider over on TOV (you might have seen it) who says that the RLX in it's current form is dead.

I saw it but wasn't sure exactly what he meant, or who he was. It sounded more like he was a dealer affiliated person, not a company affiliated person.

George Knighton 10-30-2014 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 15218654)
I did. :what: Full report to come later.

Bottom line: HOLY WOW.

There's two cars for sale over here in our neck of the woods. :-)

holografique 10-31-2014 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 15217209)
Does they Equis use the Euro style of factory ordered line-by-line options or are they doing 2-3 versions that are equipped into packages? Acura is simply not structured to move to a 'build to order' method of dong business. Everything in the chain from leases that expire every two months, to tracking and building cars, seem to dictate it will never be in this position without a radical rethink of the entire supply chain.

You're missing the point Colin: if we're spending $60k+ on a car, then that means we have money and are willing to spend it. Once you get into that class of spend, the buyer is typically not looking for the type of economical cutbacks that Acura is best at for the lower end vehicles in the lineup. We are spending that kind of money because we want the luxury features and options that you get at that type of spend and we can afford it. And Acura simply isn't delivering properly in this area with the RLX, when that is what the RLX is supposed to be all about. Flagship luxury. The car and it's features need to match it's definition.

And yes, the Kia K900 gives you all of the stuff we've put in our list in a simple to chose package. No need for customization. It's all there for the price. www.kia.com

Would I buy a Kia K900, no. But the point still remains, Acura should be doing more with the RLX. It drives me nuts that I pay almost $1000 a month on a lease for a car that doesn't even have some of the features that it's lesser brethren within the same damn car company offers. There's just no excuse for that.

Colin 10-31-2014 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by holografique (Post 15218980)
You're missing the point Colin: if we're spending $60k+ on a car, then that means we have money and are willing to spend it. Once you get into that class of spend, the buyer is typically not looking for the type of economical cutbacks that Acura is best at for the lower end vehicles in the lineup.

I guess I missed what you were saying because they were discussed as "options" when what you're really talking about are standard features. Could Acura go back to the 'old' way of making 1-2 packages that are both fully loaded? I wish they would and I've stated it MANY times here.

However, you may have missed what I was saying. Acura cannot do line options so they have no choice but to make more fully equipped packages in the future should they pursue a higher end strategy. However, Japan production and the exchange rate is a limiting factor as costs spiral out of control. If I'm not mistaken, Kia has an exchange rate advantage in the won/dollar vs an exchange rate disadvantage in the yen/dollar (at least it was so when the cars were designed). This alone should show how the Koreans are able to do more at a given price point.

As for the interpretation of "flagship" Acura as declined to play at the LS, S Class and 7 series level and have targeted the middle of the segment with the RLX. I believe that "flagship" should represent the pinnacle of the brand, and I think an Advance SH-AWD qualifies. That is was not available sooner in the RLXs product cycle is a problem discussed ad nauseam but hopefully some positive press will prompt them to make it more widely available.

Malibu Flyer 10-31-2014 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 1521899)

As for the interpretation of "flagship" Acura as declined to play at the LS, S Class and 7 series level and have targeted the middle of the segment with the RLX. I believe that "flagship" should represent the pinnacle of the brand, and I think an Advance SH-AWD qualifies. That is was not available sooner in the RLXs product cycle is a problem discussed ad nauseam but hopefully some positive press will prompt them to make it more widely available.

Unfortunately since there are not enough Sports Hybrids around to let the automative press test drive them, there will be no new "professional" reviews of production models that get widely read. It will only be reviews of the denizens of sites like Acurazine that are done. This has been the least publicized introduction of a great car that I could imagine.

That is too bad because it is a remarkable automobile.

George Knighton 10-31-2014 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer (Post 15219329)
Unfortunately since there are not enough Sports Hybrids around to let the automative press test drive them, there will be no new "professional" reviews of production models that get widely read.

I wonder if it's worth our going out of the way to make that possible (a review of the production car).

hondamore 10-31-2014 11:09 AM

It would be shocking if Acura didn't hold back a half dozen Sport Hybrids to make available to the automotive press - the world needs to know how great this car is or the whole exercise of engineering it was wasted. Of course, it would mean explaining and publicizing the fact that they are launching/selling a 2014 car in October and that whole "why the delay" can of worms so maybe they prefer to wait for the 2016 refreshed units are out to make their "big" media debut??