2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I was told by a very good internal acura resource "buy the TL SHAWD 6 speed manual"....... then they messed it up (TLX)...... go figure.... he also said the 04 RL was bullet proof and best vehicle ytd to this day.... glad I got it...its been trouble free..... I am not happy with the newer Acura's...... Japan made Honda/Acura's were the BEST......
Old 03-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabvsix
I was told by a very good internal acura resource "buy the TL SHAWD 6 speed manual"..
I should have held onto mine a little longer, probably, or sold it to somebody from the enthusiasts forums.

Japan made Honda/Acura's were the BEST......
People who bought USDM RLX P-AWS cars made in 2013-2014 might want to argue with you. :-)
Old 03-24-2017, 02:57 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabvsix
and make sure you keep that sweet TL SHAWD 6 speed manual.... those were "best kept secret"....... extremely limited too !
Thanks. For sure. I'm not planning to give mine up any time soon. Only about 42K on the clock. I constantly get offers to buy it.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by pgeorg
Just want to make sure everyone that is interested in the MDX SH knows, you are not allowed to tow anything with it.
I'm out, then. I will likely need a NSX hauler.

It appears, no HUD, either. Sad.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 10:35 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I will likely need a NSX hauler.
You are going to tow with the NSX? Well OK then. Just be sure to put a set of those steel balls hanging on your trailer hitch.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
neuronbob (03-24-2017), pgeorg (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 08:00 AM
Grandpa

Especially since they did such an amazing job with it on the KC2. I wish they'd have put it on a few more of their cars toward the top of the range, including the MDX.

Now...I have heard some rumors about a much bigger HUD on the 2020 Legend....

For whatever that's worth.
pgeorg (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Hmmm, I am disappointed that the MDX Sport Hybrid doesn't feature the HUD. I've been raving to my wife about how much she is going to love that feature. I wonder if that may be one of the "sweeteners" they add for the 2018 model year?? I may have to wait even longer to pull the trigger.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I have decided to get the MDX Sport Hybrid when I can get my hands on one in June or July. I have too much going on right now to get it before the summer, but the decision is made. We will have two Sport Hybrids in our household! Looking forward to it!
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
fsmith (03-26-2017), pgeorg (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 08:24 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Old 03-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

I'd prefer Acura distinguished itself by placing a HUD in every new model, even if it is available only with Advance trim or (even better) the Acurawatch package. The electronics cant be that expensive, even scaled out over 100k cars....can it?

That's not a deal breaker for the MDX Hybrid, though. I expect that if I buy a SUV, that it has at least some towing capacity. The Hybrid would be perfect if I didn't plan any towing. Also, given my experience with my RLX, I wouldn't be purchasing a first year model as a first choice. So, if I choose a MDX this year, it'll be the SH-AWD version, which has a 5k towing allowance, just enough for a 1/4-fueled NSX and a lightweight trailer...just in case.
pgeorg (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I'd prefer Acura distinguished itself by placing a HUD in every new model, even if it is available only with Advance trim or (even better) the Acurawatch package. The electronics cant be that expensive, even scaled out over 100k cars....can it?

That's not a deal breaker for the MDX Hybrid, though. I expect that if I buy a SUV, that it has at least some towing capacity. The Hybrid would be perfect if I didn't plan any towing. Also, given my experience with my RLX, I wouldn't be purchasing a first year model as a first choice. So, if I choose a MDX this year, it'll be the SH-AWD version, which has a 5k towing allowance, just enough for a 1/4-fueled NSX and a lightweight trailer...just in case.
I think Acura needs to continue pursuing SHAWD and SH as the Acura signatures as is Quattro to Audi. I also see more Audi in Acura's sight lines than other premium brands. AUdi also has FWD offerings, yet the brand image is Quattro. Acura needs to get past the FWD stigma (even as BMW and MB offer more FWD products).

Concerning HUD, it may become obsolete before it is brand wide or market wide offered. User customizable digital dashboards are already challenging the HUD features and the need for NAVI and Infotainment interfaces. Reading the focus for the Acura Precision Concept indicates a 3D projection of driver focused features on a glass panel in front of the steering wheel. All secondary controls & features are still dedicated the the dash center screen. However, it appears that future designs are targeting this 'virtual dashboard' some are already pursuing and or a HUD projected virtual dashboard. Personally I would like the option of BOTH. I prefer the HUD not be cluttered with too much non driver information 'noise'. Further, there are situations where HUD readability is compromised (light, glare, reflections, etc) and having the dash view is still needed.

I think the best of all worlds would permit the user (driver) to select what features render in what location(s), i.e. HUD, driver dash and center dash screens. Also the ability to set profiles for these as night vision features would just be redundant in daytime driving. Profiles such as day profile, night profile, rain profile (maybe all interfaced with auto headlights), snow profile (traction info), commute profile (traffic, roadsign info), sport profile (track type metrics, g force), valet mode (minimal info, no edit capability), cruise mode (media info, news, alerts, feeds), maneuver mode (parking sensors, 360 cam, cross traffic alerts), entertainment mode (all entertainment features for front and rear pax), diagnostic mode (service and car functions info)

With electronic controls replacing mechanicals and gauges, the offerings are unlimited. The key is to give the user / driver control of how to bundle information, and where to render it, while still maintaining the basic required info (MPH, Mirror views, vehicle warning alerts, etc). We will see how much of that becomes reality with the Acura Precision Cockpit design.
hondamore (03-26-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-29-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

I agree with you, but my only point was that I like the idea of my speed and critical info projected on the road, where my eyes are. I'd love to keep it programmable, as well.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:20 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Acura/Honda isn't giving up FWD any time soon. Honda's north america president said he doesn't plan on going to AWD. It is a shame, since SH-AWD is a great system. Maybe one day the light will go off in their heads.
neuronbob (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^
Audi does OK with FWD and AWD, though they are adept at marketing their AWD than Acura. Don't make me bring out the "Ahab" videos again, LOL!

A more basic problem with this hybrid is a towing capacity of "not recommended". That's going to kill sales, IMO. They've already likely lost me. Its competition (CUV hybrids) can tow.
pgeorg (03-29-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 06:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Cool Low Production: Only 5% of Sales

New MDX Hybrid Acura Prices CUV Below Comps Engines content from WardsAuto

Acura MDX Hybrid Set at Low End of Large-Luxury Scale

Mar 30, 2017 Christie Schweinsberg WardsAuto Comments
0The new Acura hybrid CUV will undercut the Lexus RX 450h and Infiniti QX60, as well as plug-in hybrid CUVs from BMW, Mercedes and Volvo.
'18 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid on sale in April in U.S.
SEATTLE – Acura positions its forthcoming MDX Sport Hybrid as the lowest-price entrant in the U.S. large-luxury hybrid CUV segment, confident it can achieve the incremental volume it wants from the CUV.

Acura expects the new hybrid to account for 5% of overall MDX sales. In recent years it has sold 55,000-60,000 units of the CUV annually in the U.S.

The 3-row MDX will start at $51,960 when it reaches U.S. Acura dealers next month, below the $53,035 and $53,500 starting prices of the Lexus RX 450h and Infiniti QX60 hybrid CUVs and well south of the plug-in hybrid trio of the BMW X5 Xdrive 40e, Mercedes GLE 550e and Volvo XC90 T8.

“We think we’ve established a strong winning position (with specifications and by undercutting the competition),” Gary Robinson, manager-Acura product planning, tells attendees here at an ’18 MDX Hybrid media event.

Acura calculates its advantage is $1,075 against the RX and up to $15,840 with the GLE. The three European PHEVs start in the $60,000 range, but often transact above $70,000, Robinson says.

MDX Sport Hybrid fuel economy comes in at 26/27 mpg (9.0-8.7 L/100 km) city/highway, falling shy of the 2-row Lexus RX’s 31/28 mpg (7.6-8.4 L/100 km) city/highway rating. However, Acura officials here emphasize the MDX provides more total horsepower with the MDX than the RX, 321 hp vs. 308 hp.

“This is our unique way to express our performance,” Jon Ikeda, vice president and general manager-Acuram says of using the NSX supercar’s 3-motor hybrid system under the hood of the MDX.

The 3-motor system has 2 36-hp motors, separated by a 1-way clutch to vector torque side-to-side between rear wheels, and a 47-hp front motor integrated to a 7-speed DCT powering the front wheels. The engine in the MDX hybrid is a 257-hp 3.0L SOHC V-6.

The variant wears many of the same styling cues as Acura’s non-hybrid MDX, which was refreshed last year for ’17 with the brand’s new diamond pentagon grille and higher-quality interior materials such as open-pore wood. The slight styling differences for the hybrid include a lower aero kit, body-color side sills and stainless-steel pedals.

Acura claims the MDX is the No.1 premium 3-row CUV purchased by those under 35 years old and it sees a similarly young buyer for the MDX hybrid, noting those buying large luxury hybrid CUVs tend to be younger than large luxury non-hybrid CUV buyers due to the need for seating for young families. They also have a keen interest in technology and eco-friendly attributes.

The brand sees the typical MDX hybrid buyer as a Millennial or on the younger end of Generation X and making $250,000 or more in annual household income. “It sounds like kind a little bit of a unicorn, but those people are out there and interested in this type of vehicle,” Robinson says.

The MDX Sport Hybrid will be assembled at the MDX’s new home in East Liberty, OH. Some MDX production is continuing Honda’s Lincoln, AL, plant as East Liberty ramps up.

This week, the Japanese automaker announced it was investing $85 million in Lincoln, also home to 3 Honda-brand models (Odyssey minivan, Pilot large CUV, Ridgeline midsize pickup) to increase the plant’s flexibility. Phase 1 of the project calls for an expansion of vehicle-assembly Line 1, slated for completion in 2018.cschweinsberg@wardsauto.com
The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
hondamore (03-30-2017), moose66 (03-30-2017), pgeorg (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 07:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Interesting read. What it doesn't say, as others have been chiming in about, is the hybrid MDX can't tow. I know the Lexus RXh does, at least in the AWD variant.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Well. The price is competitive at least. I priced out a max-spec MDX SH Advance with Entertainment. $58k, $8k less than the RLX Sport Hybrid. Compared with its hybrid competition, that price is just right. It may sell, even with no towing capability, simply because of that.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
moose66 (03-30-2017), pgeorg (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

. . . . .Compared with its hybrid competition, that price is just right. It may sell, even with no towing capability, simply because of that.
In total agreement with that. I was totally a Lexus guy for about 10 years. As I have matured, the styling of the Lexus vehicles has turned me off, along with the skyrocketing price for the features I want. I want bells and whistles, at the right look and price. Those wants have pushed me to Acura where I think I can get tech, safety, and preferred styling at a price point more acceptable. I will be looking at that loaded MDX hybrid when the time is right. Which means when my wife says its time!
The following 2 users liked this post by moose66:
hondamore (03-30-2017), pgeorg (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 02:38 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by moose66
Interesting read. What it doesn't say, as others have been chiming in about, is the hybrid MDX can't tow. I know the Lexus RXh does, at least in the AWD variant.
Understandable about the towing constraint being a negative. But compared to other hybrids, SH is not an apples to apples comparison. SH dynamically shifts power to wheels while simultaneously capable of multiple, independent energy regeneration sources (wheels). The strain of towing is likely an incompatible variable with that dynamic logic. A standard hybrid is only subject to towing strain to a single power source, whether in ICE, EV or hybrid mode.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 03-30-2017 at 02:43 PM.
hondamore (03-30-2017), moose66 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 05:55 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Last time I checked, most of the hybrid sedans (Fusion, Camry, Accord) are also not recommended for towing.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I believe the "not recommended for towing" statement is legalese and translates into "if we tell you it is ok to tow small, light loads, some idiot is going to hook up a 10,000 pound trailer and tow it through the mountains and then sue us when his hybrid system fails". Especially with the three motor system of the Sport Hybrid, they simply don't know what the unusually tugging and drag from a tow load will do and so it is legally safest to simply say, "towing not recommended".

My personal situation has never required me to tow anything and thus the "towing with the MDX Sport Hybrid is not recommended" statement has ZERO effect on my future purchase decision.

Just my two cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
moose66 (03-30-2017), neuronbob (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Last time I checked, most of the hybrid sedans (Fusion, Camry, Accord) are also not recommended for towing.
Operative term: "sedan". Most of us wouldn't buy a sedan to tow, LOL.

SUVs you expect at least some tow capability.

Originally Posted by hondamore
"if we tell you it is ok to tow small, light loads, some idiot is going to hook up a 10,000 pound trailer and tow it through the mountains and then sue us when his hybrid system fails".
ROFLMAO But you're probably right.

That price fully loaded seems pretty attractive. I up my chances of owning a MDX SH back to "non-zero" based on that. That was a pleasant and unexpected surprise from Acura.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Just went through the Acura configurator again. Turns out the Entertainment package can't be configured with the Sport Hybrid, so my error above.

I wonder why, Acura packaging gurus? The answer may be in avilable seating packages. Even with the non-hybrid MDX, the Ent package only comes with a bench 2nd row, and the Hybrid only comes with the captain's chairs in the second row. I wonder if it's just the way the seats fit? Not sure, just speculating.

In any case, $58k for the Advance Hybrid trim, $58.5 for the non-hybrid SH-AWD Advance with Ent. Seems a decent value. I wish the RLX Hybrid had been priced similarly, likely would have sold a few more copies. Acura seems to be learning.....a good sign.....
Old 03-30-2017, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have no need to tow. I placed my deposit today to order one.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Just went through the Acura configurator again. Turns out the Entertainment package can't be configured with the Sport Hybrid, so my error above.

I wonder why, Acura packaging gurus? The answer may be in avilable seating packages. Even with the non-hybrid MDX, the Ent package only comes with a bench 2nd row, and the Hybrid only comes with the captain's chairs in the second row. I wonder if it's just the way the seats fit? Not sure, just speculating.

In any case, $58k for the Advance Hybrid trim, $58.5 for the non-hybrid SH-AWD Advance with Ent. Seems a decent value. I wish the RLX Hybrid had been priced similarly, likely would have sold a few more copies. Acura seems to be learning.....a good sign.....
are you sure?
I thought I configured hybrid with entertainment
Old 03-31-2017, 06:44 AM
Safety Car

Talking Vids

Luckily, I have no need for towing capabilities and I prefer to have an Advance with no Entertainment Package and captain's chairs. Lucikly, Acura seems to have catered the hybrid to my demographic.

Just configured it and you cannot have Entertainment with the hybrid, it will switch back to regular SH-AWD if you try to choose it.

I imagine Acura chooses their combos by take-rates. Most of the MDXs I see on the road & on the lots are Tech & Advance. @ the dealerships, there are very few with the Entertainment Package & since they decoupled it form the Advance Package this generation, something tells me that most buyers were not interested in the Entertainment Package. To keep costs low, they probably decided to make the hybrid in the 2 most popular trims (Tech & Advance) & left it @ that. As for the bench seat, perhaps they wanted to ensure 3 people could enjoy the DVD instead of 2? Who knows?

The driving embargo is lifted next Tuesday so hopefully it will be on sale then too:

Last edited by TSX69; 03-31-2017 at 06:46 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
hondamore (03-31-2017), moose66 (03-31-2017), pgeorg (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs up Efficiency

@ the 38 minute mark of the video above, the speaker says that they MDX's hybrid component packaging is 39% more efficient than the RLX's. Good to see that they are continuously improving the system and making it smaller as well as lighter (?).

Old 03-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by TSX69
[font=georgia] ... there are very few with the Entertainment Package...
Having built in entertainment to a car seems unnecessary to me. I would assume power / usb ports is all that is needed. The kiddos are happier with a tablet they can control themselves and take with them has more value and flexibility. Most 2 year olds have already mastered iPhones.
hondamore (03-31-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 04:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
My Dealer shows that they have "1" in transit. Wonder how rare this car will be
Old 04-17-2017, 05:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by getakey
My Dealer shows that they have "1" in transit. Wonder how rare this car will be
Rare for a while I bet. My dealer, at least where I purchased my car, actually shows having one on the lot, with an asterisk. Not sure what that means. White diamond w/espresso interior.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

So I can't figure out where I read the article, but somewhere I stumbled over power ratings of 329 hp and 341 ft/lbs tq for the MDX SH. Maybe a typo? Regardless, my wife and I are deciding on a color and ordering one in the next few weeks for a delivery in June/July. I hope to be the first with two SHs in the family. I'm buying it sight unseen just based on my experience with the Blackbird I have now. Love it!

Also my mpg popped up on this tank to a solid 32+ mpg. Can't figure out why, but who cares. It is awesome.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:24 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Manufactures list the peak power. The power under the curve is what counts when added up, the total HP will be more than the peak HP in cars with multiple motors.

The summer gas blend could be increasing observed MPG. "The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency defines April to June as the transition season, as refineries switch to summer-blend production"
Old 04-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Safety Car

Red face +1

1 of my local dealerships shows a white/brown advance hybrid in their inventory. I checked with their online sales person who said that it is indeed on their lot. I am a bit skeptical as Acura usually has a press release the day a model goes on sale. Granted, they said that it would go on sale in "early April" & we are already on the 17th .......

They predicted 5-10% of sales so that puts it around 3-4k annual sales, which is a lot more than the ~250 RLX hybrids a year. They priced this 1 competitively so I expect it to be nowhere near as rare as the RLX hybrid.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
neuronbob (04-18-2017), pgeorg (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 03:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well my deposit to get on the list has been moved over to a deposit to order. Once we select a color I will get an anticipated delivery date so I am told.
The following 5 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
holografique (04-18-2017), hondamore (04-18-2017), neuronbob (04-19-2017), pgeorg (04-18-2017), wilspainar (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
NAVDY was the one I was eyeing for some time when it was first announced. Watching the videos of the production release looks like a nice product, but ultimately seemed like it might be a bit too bulky and cumbersom, especially with having to tap into your OBD II port.

I will say the first one on that list "HUDIFY" is actually pretty damn slick. I tested it out and works really well. And with the number of older used iPhones that end up in your inventory after upgrades (I have like 2x iPhone 4s and an iPhone 5S), this is a really low cost but super functional approach. And again, the HUDIFY app works really well. You can even test it out without having the display stand, although that stand looks like it makes it much more effective. Might have to grab one.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
I own a 2010 MDX and a 2016 RLX Hybrid. I'm not all that interested in the MDX Hybrid because, although the fuel efficiency is significantly improved from the gas engine version, the power is not. 10% more horsepower ? Meh.... so what? Does that even cover the extra weight? Somebody do the math on the extra fuel savings over 100,000 miles versus the additional $3500 price of the hybrid. Saving 5 miles per gallon >> Works out to about $1500 per year in fuel savings. So yes, it pays off... but you don't get the compelling improvement in performance you gain with the RLX hybrid versus the gas powered RLX. And you can't tow.

In the RLX, the Hybrid brings a lot more power(+22%) in addition to all wheel drive. Much more benefit versus the gas powered version. No downsides other than the cost. And adding performance in the margins is usually much more expensive.

I was expecting the MDX hybrid to bring 380+ horsepower.

Im not hating on the P-AWS. Or the MDX Hybrid. I just don't know if the MDX Hybrid is worth the extra cost and maintenance /reliability exposure, especially in he first model year. And you can't tow.

Did i I mention you can't tow?

Last edited by Scott in AZ; 04-18-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Scott in AZ
... and maintenance /reliability exposure....
What is it you're thinking is extra maintenance and unreliable on a Sport Hybrid?
Scott in AZ (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George Knighton
What is it you're thinking is extra maintenance and unreliable on a Sport Hybrid?
Good question . . . .technology is not new . . . . . just the application. I'd be very surprised in the MDX-H experiences more than the normal issues in the first year of production.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Safety Car

Red face Pics

2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD with Advance Package Chapel Hill NC Durham Cary Greensboro North Carolina 5FRYD7H73HB000166

Wow, guess it really is on the lot. Not sure how I feel about the open pore wood. I realize the glossy kind looks like plastic but that somehow looks cheap to me ... ?

Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

It's all fashion. Visually the open pore real wood looks like the open pore wood-look plastic in the new CRV. It is more psycological than functional. That said, if I had a choice between real wood and plood, I would choose the real wood.

Also, with the SH they DID expose the exhaust tips! So I would expect it on the MMC RLX SH. And so the pendulum swings back.