2016: RLX v. Accord (!?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
My guess is that the IIHS definition of what makes a Top Pick is changing soon to include the devices in Honda Sensing and Honda is changing to boost its biggest seller.

It's called, "capitalism", and "progress".

We Acura owners beta-tested the newest tech and now it's made it down to Honda. Early 1G Acura RL owners beta-tested on-board navi systems and.....you guessed it, it was ultimately passed down to Honda cars. Now you can buy every Honda with a navi system.

I take this development as a positive sign for Acura. It means Honda (hopefully) has big plans for new tech in near-future Acuras.

(If you're a glass half-empty sort, I guess you could say it means "curtains" for Acura, but that doesn't make much sense to me.)

I admit, though, if I had a choice between an RLX PAWS and an Accord Touring, I'd be strongly considering an Accord. TLX would be out of the picture because of the smaller back seat. Of course, regulars here know I like the 9G Accord anyway, so there's that.
That use to be the way, but no anymore. I test drove a fully loaded Accord and had a fully loaded loaner RLX, which I put about 13k miles on. the Accord had features the RLX didn't have. Both were 2014 models, the camera in the right mirror was pretty nice on the Accord. When you turned the right turn signal on the navi screen turned the camera on and basically you saw everything next to you on the screen. Maybe the RLX has that now, but it wasn't available in 2014. There was another option as well, but I can't recall it at the moment.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:28 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Brock79
That use to be the way, but no anymore. I test drove a fully loaded Accord and had a fully loaded loaner RLX, which I put about 13k miles on. the Accord had features the RLX didn't have. Both were 2014 models, the camera in the right mirror was pretty nice on the Accord. When you turned the right turn signal on the navi screen turned the camera on and basically you saw everything next to you on the screen. Maybe the RLX has that now, but it wasn't available in 2014. There was another option as well, but I can't recall it at the moment.
Actually no Acura's has the lane watch system you just described. It's considered to be an alternative to the blind spot info system. Basically the idea is that if the car has blind spot indicator, then there's no need for the lane watch system.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Actually no Acura's has the lane watch system you just described. It's considered to be an alternative to the blind spot info system. Basically the idea is that if the car has blind spot indicator, then there's no need for the lane watch system.
That, and it only works on one side vs. BSI which works on both.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Is the 2016 accord considered a MMC, ie. something big will happen in 2017 model year, or is this the next thing for a few years. Glad they added Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It is a shame Acura is not keeping up in the RLX. Hopefully the next top of the line Acura will have these features.

Last edited by flagship; 07-25-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by flagship
Is the 2016 accord considered a MMC, ie. something big will happen in 2017 model year, or is this the next thing for a few years. Glad they added Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It is a shame Acura is not keeping up in the RLX. Hopefully the next top of the line Acura will have these features.
If the RLX gets a MMC for 2017, I think you'll see these changes...

Chris
Old 07-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
It's times like these it is unfortunate Acura refuses to send power to the rear wheels or have SH-AWD standard. Those would both be easy answers to "Why buy an Acura over a Honda?"
Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kurtatx
It's times like these it is unfortunate Acura refuses to send power to the rear wheels or have SH-AWD standard. Those would both be easy answers to "Why buy an Acura over a Honda?"
Nailed it!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Just looked over the features in the new 2016 Accord with Honda Sensing that was released at the media event a few days ago. WOW. If this had been available a few months ago, I would be an Accord owner today. The midsize family sedan segment is so competitive now that Honda has had to Acura-ify the Accord to compete. I can now see why people are howling about Acura being left in the dust by Honda, and why some are asking "why bother with Acura?"

I sure hope that Acura has a slam-dunk upgrade planned for the RLX, and I mean more than just adding Carplay/Android Auto, especially if they plan to keep the prices where they are...
Old 08-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

I could only chuckle at this....

So I'm driving my nine-year-old home from school a few days ago in the RLX. He's a budding car nerd and can already point out the more important cars and many exotics on the road.

He suddenly gets excited, saying "DAD! There's a car just like yours next to us!"

....only as I turn my head to look, he finishes his sentence....."only it's got a Honda badge on it! Isn't that cool?" Of course, it was a nice black Honda Accord Touring speed-matching us in the fast lane on the freeway.

Out of the mouths of babes...

....he's right, there is a strong resemblance between the 5G Legend and the 9G Accord. I love the look, so meh. Besides, my son loves the "butt warmers" and the rear shade in the RLX, which you can't get in any Accord.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
EL19 (08-24-2015), jwong77 (08-24-2015), wstr75 (08-25-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 03:43 PM
Instructor

Heated rear seats come on the 2016 touring
Stanuwmad (02-07-2016)
Old 08-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
....only as I turn my head to look, he finishes his sentence....."only it's got a Honda badge on it! Isn't that cool?" Of course, it was a nice black Honda Accord Touring speed-matching us in the fast lane on the freeway.

Out of the mouths of babes...
Please keep Junior off TOV.

Frankly I see more 'size cloning' in VW to Audi and BMW than I do from the Accord to the RLX.

I do think the current Accord is well done and I find it more interesting than my 06 RL. But that is natural progression.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:19 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
I spent a fair amount of time test driving brand new Honda Accord EX-L V6 coupes earlier this year before purchasing my CPO 2012 RL. The 6 speed is a hoot to drive. I had the same 6 speed in a new 2003 CL-S Acura that I thoroughly enjoyed. It is super slick stick and perfectly mated to the excellent Honda V6. What I could not get past was the super cheap and tacky rental car grade interior of the Accord EXL. I had horror flash backs to National Rental car Emerald Aisle days circa 1995 with seas of Chevy Lumina's.

As well as the Accord V6 drove, the cheapness of the interior to me was too much of a distraction from an otherwise great chassis. There is a huge difference in quality feel between the Accord and RL due to huge differences in materials.

For some reason, Honda did a much better job on the Civic EXL interior.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by flagship
Heated rear seats come on the 2016 touring
Nooooooo.......

The RLX has quite obviously better interior quality and dat Krell audio system...... I have come to appreciate it increasingly well as I explore it fully.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Nooooooo.......
Don't waste any time thinking for an instant that we still have the latest and greatest.

In the two short years since the 2014 model year, things have improved tremendously, and what was cutting edge in 2014 is fairly common in 2016.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator

I know.....thus the . The midsize segment is so competitive that everyone is one-upping one another on features. Honda is doing whatever it has to, in order for the Accords to continue flying out the door. Rear seat heaters in an Accord...never thought it would happen, yet here it is.

High Accord sales are good for RLX Sport Hybrid owners because those sales are what allowed development of our cool drivetrain.
Malibu Flyer (08-24-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 10:57 AM
Racer

I know.....thus the . The midsize segment is so competitive that everyone is one-upping one another on features. Honda is doing whatever it has to, in order for the Accords to continue flying out the door. Rear seat heaters in an Accord...never thought it would happen, yet here it is.

High Accord sales are good for RLX Sport Hybrid owners because those sales are what allowed development of our cool drivetrain.
You nailed it Bob - the midsize segment is quickly becoming THE segment, and we are going to see some segments disappear (entry luxury cars for example) in the years ahead.

As manufacturers continue to try and reduce costs and expenses, certain segments/models will simply disappear. Honda has their segments well managed and covered, but other manufacturers may not be so smart.

I sure do hope Acura management is alert and doing some awesome things. They have such amazing potential to build some solid cars - I can tell you that there are a LOT of German car enthusiasts that are tired of the German repair bills. They want something luxurious, sports, and RELIABLE.

That is why I still haven't sold my RL...the X6 is great, but it will never get to 140k, where my RL sits today, without 7-8k in repairs I bet.

Chris
Old 09-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by CFoote
- I can tell you that there are a LOT of German car enthusiasts that are tired of the German repair bills. They want something luxurious, sports, and RELIABLE.
Should we have tax reform where business leases get axed, the Germans will lose significant market share where some will decide to purchase and reliability beyond warranty and pre-paid maintenance becomes a factor...
Old 09-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
Should we have tax reform where business leases get axed, the Germans will lose significant market share where some will decide to purchase and reliability beyond warranty and pre-paid maintenance becomes a factor...
Old 09-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Instructor

My guess is that the IIHS definition of what makes a Top Pick is changing soon to include the devices in Honda Sensing and Honda is changing to boost its biggest seller.

It's called, "capitalism", and "progress".

We Acura owners beta-tested the newest tech and now it's made it down to Honda. Early 1G Acura RL owners beta-tested on-board navi systems and.....you guessed it, it was ultimately passed down to Honda cars. Now you can buy every Honda with a navi system.

I take this development as a positive sign for Acura. It means Honda (hopefully) has big plans for new tech in near-future Acuras.

(If you're a glass half-empty sort, I guess you could say it means "curtains" for Acura, but that doesn't make much sense to me.)

I admit, though, if I had a choice between an RLX PAWS and an Accord Touring, I'd be strongly considering an Accord. TLX would be out of the picture because of the smaller back seat. Of course, regulars here know I like the 9G Accord anyway, so there's that.
Check out all the new features on the touring

Honda Accord (2016)

"The more rigid body combines with numerous chassis upgrades - including higher performance dampers, retuned electric power steering and, on Touring models, new Amplitude Reactive Dampers and hydraulic subframe bushings - to deliver even more responsive steering and handling together with a more refined ride quality."
Old 09-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

I saw. So at this point, the only big diff between the Accord and PAWS RLX is refinement and Krell, among other features.

As I said in the post you quoted, hopefully this means better things are afoot for the RLX (glass half full! )
Old 09-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
2016 Accord Coupe...

So, can someone remind me again why my next car should be an Acura and not a Honda?

2016 Honda Accord Coupe Overview - Official Site

Man, does the coupe look good. Heck, the web-page for the coupe alone looks like it has more money poured into it than the entire Acura website as a whole. Well, to be fair...almost the entire website. The new NSX and RDX sub-pages are showing signs they are finally putting some real marketing dollars into their online presence...

Seriously though...if the coupe had a slightly more sexier grill/headlight design, visually (IMO) it would blow the entire Acura lineup away (minus the NSX). I'm sure it doesn't "drive" and "handle" quite as nice as the Acura lineup, but there again is the flaw in their strategy...you've got to get people visually excited about looking at your vehicles before you can get them to want to consider the price and/or take a test drive.

Last edited by holografique; 09-14-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Forgot to mention at this point the 2016 Accord Coupe has all the same driving technology as my 2-year old $60k flagship Acura sedan, and even goes beyond by having Carplay support built-in.

And here's the 2016 4-door Accord Sedan also looking really nice.

Last edited by holografique; 09-14-2015 at 06:27 PM.
jdrfive5 (09-15-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Sh-awd
The following 2 users liked this post by pcloadletter:
LoneStar 16 RLX SprtHybrd (09-16-2015), neuronbob (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Threads merged.

I can't emphasize how much Honda got the 9G Accord right. Honda is currently firing on all cylinders and, IMO, is awesome again. Again, I hope that the mojo moves upward to Acura.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by holografique
Seriously though...if the coupe had a slightly more sexier grill/headlight design, visually (IMO) it would blow the entire Acura lineup away (minus the NSX).
Holografique, If not aware and you like them better, I noticed there is a factory accessory for a different grill for the sedan and also the touring has different headlights.

I tend to like the factory look. The upgraded rims under accessories seem to add a nice look.

Last edited by flagship; 09-16-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:16 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
The Accord is very good to start of with. And Honda took it even further with the facelift. Excellent work by Honda.

With that said, while on paper, the Accord has all the driving tech as your 2014 RLX, they are not as powerful as the systems in your car. What I mean is that both cars have adaptive cruise control, but my understanding is that your system is better.

It's sort of like how many cars now have back up camera, but some have additional features like dynamic guidelines, sonar, multi-view, etc.
jdrfive5 (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 12:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
The new Accord is a mighty fine looking car!
Old 09-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Threads merged.

I can't emphasize how much Honda got the 9G Accord right. Honda is currently firing on all cylinders and, IMO, is awesome again. Again, I hope that the mojo moves upward to Acura.
Agree. We have a 6MT Accord Sedan EX. It is fast, smooth, very quiet, can easily get 40+ mpg on the highway in warm weather, and it just does everything well. I could ask for a better sound system, power passenger seat, and other niceties, but for less than 25K it's a hell of a car.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Nooooooo.......

The RLX has quite obviously better interior quality and dat Krell audio system...... I have come to appreciate it increasingly well as I explore it fully.
I think the Krell system is overrated in our RLX. I don't know if it has to break in or something but it's annoyingly bright and just not good enough to have a trim level named after it. It isn't bad per se, just not phenomenal.

And I'm pretty disappointed at the lack of features in this car as well. My '12 Optima SX had heated seats front and back, AND cooled ones up front. To get that on the RLX would require the top shelf Advance trim. I know BMW and MB pull the same trick, but Acura isn't them. And last week we accidentally blocked a family friend in, and she came up and said someones Honda was blocking her in the driveway It's a good thing we got this thing used for 20K off sticker.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:33 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by ChaiLatte
I think the Krell system is overrated in our RLX. I don't know if it has to break in or something but it's annoyingly bright and just not good enough to have a trim level named after it. It isn't bad per se, just not phenomenal.

And I'm pretty disappointed at the lack of features in this car as well. My '12 Optima SX had heated seats front and back, AND cooled ones up front. To get that on the RLX would require the top shelf Advance trim. I know BMW and MB pull the same trick, but Acura isn't them. And last week we accidentally blocked a family friend in, and she came up and said someones Honda was blocking her in the driveway It's a good thing we got this thing used for 20K off sticker.
Is there a point here? Or more sour grapes and self affirmation?

Maybe you should hit up a Bugatti Veyron forum. They don't have rear heated seats either, and I am sure they need to know the Optima has it. They will be crushed.

You would think the RLX was so low volume and profile the internet seagulls would spend time elsewhere.

Enjoy the Optima.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
pgeorg (09-25-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-26-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Bugatti Veyron doesn't have rear seats.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Krell is the best I've heard. Sounds bad if your source is bad. XM is very low quality
holografique (09-26-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Bugatti Veyron doesn't have rear seats.
Oh the genius of that comment. That was the point. But without rear seat heaters it MUST be inferior! After all, an Optima has them!!!! Should that not be the benchmark to every vehicle ever engineered?

I should stop engaging seagulls.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-26-2015), Stanuwmad (02-07-2016)
Old 09-25-2015, 04:52 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by getakey
Krell is the best I've heard. Sounds bad if your source is bad. XM is very low quality
Yes, it is. But it still sounds better on Krell than it sounded on my ELS.

Something that I've noticed is that if you're listening to a voice programme, the sound seems to concentrate on the front centre.

It won't make a voice sound tinny, but the system somehow takes a lot of the depth and dimension out of it.

I usually just deal with it because I don't want to have to re-tune the unit when I got back to the iPod. :-)
Old 09-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
My RL had Bose. I never noticed how bad XM was until I got the RLX.
FM HD is far better
The following 2 users liked this post by getakey:
Malibu Flyer (09-26-2015), TampaRLX-SH (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ChaiLatte

The Krell system is sensitive to source material if you feed it crap, it sounds like crap.

Your criticisms about content are sound, and others have raised them as well. The RLXs less than Advance were relatively lacking in content. Acura fixed that with the 2016 RLX. Now, the Tech model has most of the features of the 2014 and 15 Advance and is a much better deal than it was.

So good on you for getting the old model for $20k off, and used.

Acura tried more option packages with the RLX, and it didn't work. Acura buyers are used to simple, well-apportioned option packages, and now that is what we have. Fewer trim levels.

Last edited by neuronbob; 09-25-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by getakey
FM HD is far better
The handicap being commercials and a DJ who thinks his commentary are worth the time it takes to listen to them.

HD FM sounds very good, every bit as good as the best iPod, or even better if you have a good signal. The problem is that you can't control the content.

HD FM > iPod > Pandora & Aha HQ > XM Satellite

What gets you with XM Satellite is the huge diversity of content.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Add another who really loves the Krell system. I've only really talked about it once when I first got the RLX, but it is one of the aspects of my 14' that I love. Yes, it is brighter than most systems by default, to the point where I've adjusted my treble down by 1-2 notches. Otherwise, the dynamic range on the Krell system in the RLX is superb and responds well to all sorts of music styles and mix quality. What I've found is that unlike the ELS system in my old 06 TL, you don't want the center speaker to be too strong. It works against both proper stereo imaging and good mid-freq (1-5khz) presence in most material.

I've been a professional mix engineer/producer/musician/sound-designer for over 20+ years, and I can tell you the Krell system is a great sounding system. If you're ever curious and have time, you can learn more about me here: :::: holografique
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
George Knighton (09-27-2015), pgeorg (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 07:03 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
Wow! Your tumblr is super-cool!
holografique (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both are great cars, don't see how you could go wrong. Just depends on what you want...

Quick Reply: 2016: RLX v. Accord (!?)