2014 RLX Sport Hybrid vs 2014 Hyundai Equus Signature

Old 01-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
2014 RLX Sport Hybrid vs 2014 Hyundai Equus Signature

My wife and I went out to dinner tonight with another couple and parked next to a 2014 Hyundai Equus Signature. I was shocked that the cars looked to be about the same size as I always thought the Equus was such a large looking car when I saw one on the road. Also I am embarrassed to say that I liked the styling of the Equus. Now that does not mean I like it more than the RLX Sport Hybrid, but I am complementing Hyundai for making such an attractive automobile. I absolutely would never buy one, but the interior looked like a weird combination of MB, Infiniti and Jaguar, while the outside appeared to have Lexus LS styling cues.

When I went on the Acura website and compared the cars, the measurements are fairly close to each other in many ways. Now I have never been in the Equus so I can't vouch for the driving dynamics, but I would imagine it is the soft luxo-cruiser it appears to be.

Since I have so few miles on my car I have yet to get the revs beyond 4,000 rpm during the break in period, but I am still thoroughly impressed with the long waves of torque especially in 2nd and 3rd gears. Even my wife who normally does not comment on these things cracked a smile when I "gave it the beans" to quote Top Gear. My kids have also egged me on several times to "do it again" when changing lanes to pass someone.

I finally completed some highway miles and with very little EV running and mostly cruising at 75 mph, the car returned about 27.6 mpg. However, after getting off the highway, the local mpg was 36.2 mpg since about 60% was completed in EV. I'm very impressed, and when I got back into my 2014 MDX Tech, it sounded shockingly loud by comparison. The irony is I had been complementing the MDX for its very quiet running just two weeks ago to a friend of mine. The RLX Sport Hybrid is just that good. Is the suspension on the stiffer side, yes. Do I wish it had the Cadillac CTS magnetic ride shocks and dampeners, yes. Is the trunk a little smaller because of the electric running hardware, yes. Are there some technical things I wish were different, yes. However, I was waiting to buy this car since I saw the first the show cars at the auto shows. The fact that I negotiated such a good deal made it all the better. I think my strategy of setting it up to take delivery on New Year's Eve helped so I could get the best deal possible.

Everything is a compromise and no car is without its faults. So there will be those who complain about the RLX or any other car on the road. It is ok for us feel strongly that one car is better than another for whatever reasons we feel passionately about. Different strokes for different folks I always say. Someone who is a BMW guy will always take shots at an Audi guy, and vice verse. Regardless of what brand or model we gravitate to, in the end as long as we are happy with our purchase, that is all that matters.

So in the end, I still think my RLX-Sport Hybrid is the tits, and I could not be happier. Way to go Acura!
The following 3 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
hondamore (01-12-2015), Malibu Flyer (01-12-2015), wstr75 (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 11:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, wait--what do you have against Hyundai? lol

They've been making some enormous strides and complimenting Hyundai and the Equus is nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The Equus has some serious chops. No need to ashamed for liking the styling. I do, as well. I favor the new Genesis, myself.

+1 on the RLX needing Magnetic Ride. In 80k miles between two Cadis MagRide is one of my favorite features. I've had no problems with it.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:48 PM
10th Gear

Yeah the new Genesis looks pretty damn hot. With AWD, it's not as fast or efficient as the RLX Sport Hybrid but I'd say it's very competitively priced otherwise.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
The comments about "I am embarassed to like Hyundai" or "I would never buy one," reminds me of my neighbor as a kid who used to say the same about Japanese cars.

At least Hyundai gives you a free Ipad with a purchase.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Looks aside, I doubt the Equus hold a candle to the drive of the Sport Hybrid. I have no reason to dis the Equus, since I have never driven one. Indeed, they have gotten some pretty good reviews for reliability and quality but they do not have the polish of the more expensive luxury brands [according to reviewers].

The reason to own the Sport Hybrid is the way it drives. How a car feels in my hands is the what sets one car apart from others for me. Like flavors of ice cream, there are several different options. One is not better than another, it just depends on your taste. For my taste the RLX Sport Hybrid is terrific.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
The comments about "I am embarassed to like Hyundai" or "I would never buy one," reminds me of my neighbor as a kid who used to say the same about Japanese cars.

At least Hyundai gives you a free Ipad with a purchase.
What I was referring to was spending $62,000 MSRP or $54,000 according to Truecar.com for a Equus Signature. I still remember the first cheapo cars they started selling way back when and that has stayed with me. One could make the same argument about Honda, Nissan and Toyota too. But for some reason the Korean car manufactures just remind me of economy and not modern technology, luxury, and performance, no matter how stupid and illogical that sounds. I would guess that their quality controls on the least expensive cars they sell are better than most of the luxury domestic manufacturers here. Yes that is complementing them and not saying nice things about the US, but they do not have legacy issues that our domestic union based labor forces demand on the corporations who design and manufacture here. Without getting into the cultural and economic differences between South Korea and the United States, they are light years ahead of us in many areas.

My comment about not wanting to buy one is simply a preference, and I'm not making a statement about South Korea, its corporations or its people in any negative way.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Looks aside, I doubt the Equus hold a candle to the drive of the Sport Hybrid. I have no reason to dis the Equus, since I have never driven one. Indeed, they have gotten some pretty good reviews for reliability and quality but they do not have the polish of the more expensive luxury brands [according to reviewers].

The reason to own the Sport Hybrid is the way it drives. How a car feels in my hands is the what sets one car apart from others for me. Like flavors of ice cream, there are several different options. One is not better than another, it just depends on your taste. For my taste the RLX Sport Hybrid is terrific.

Agreed! Well said.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Safety Car

Looks aside, I doubt the Equus hold a candle to the drive of the Sport Hybrid. I ....

I have never driven one. .
I am no Equus fanboi, but just curious, you say it can't handle a candle to the RLX, yet you have never driven one??
Old 01-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
I am no Equus fanboi, but just curious, you say it can't handle a candle to the RLX, yet you have never driven one??
I drove one when I was considering buying a new car and it did not have the pick up and go that you have with an RLX, to me it drove like a tank but had plenty of technology. I pass on it becase I did not like the way it felt or drove compared to the RLX. JMHO
Old 01-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Pro

A valid point. Still, there are few cars in this class that have the handling capabilities of the Sport Hybrid. I'm sure if the Equus was in the same class the reviews would have mentioned it, which none have.

I plead guilty to being smitten with the Sport Hybrid drive and probably should not have phrased my post that way. Apologies to anyone I have offended.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by woropallo
I drove one when I was considering buying a new car and it did not have the pick up and go that you have with an RLX, to me it drove like a tank but had plenty of technology. I pass on it becase I did not like the way it felt or drove compared to the RLX. JMHO
To me, your thoughts are valid, as you have driven one. Only reason I am curious is next 6-7 months I will be replacing my LS600, and I am all over the place, on what I want, from the RLX to the new GS-F to the Equus.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Racer

To me, your thoughts are valid, as you have driven one. Only reason I am curious is next 6-7 months I will be replacing my LS600, and I am all over the place, on what I want, from the RLX to the new GS-F to the Equus.
Glad I could provide you my input. I have to admit being a technology buff, the Equus has everything in it you could possible imagine in it including an entertainment system and control for the back seats. It not a hybrid just a big V8. But it made me feel like I was driving an old Lincoln limousine, plus I had no need for the rear entainment system and the dealer had no intrerest in even discussing the price.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Safety Car

Glad I could provide you my input. I have to admit being a technology buff, the Equus has everything in it you could possible imagine in it including an entertainment system and control for the back seats. It not a hybrid just a big V8. But it made me feel like I was driving an old Lincoln limousine, plus I had no need for the rear entainment system and the dealer had no intrerest in even discussing the price.
FOr me the hybrid part of it is not important, as Hybrid in the LS600 is more performance to make it feel like a V12, than it being a gas sipper. What I want is a big luxury car. I want the long wheelbase. I want it to have presence. If $$ was no object, I would be shopping a LWB Alpina B7 in that blue

I want the rear seat package (mine has the massaging and full reclining), and rear entertainment. Though I don't use them, at this class of car, to me it is a must have.

I am surprised Equus didn't want to haggle on price. Locally you don't see much, outside of Koreatown.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Hyundai wants to own a major market share in the C and D segment of the car business and has the economies of scale and labor cost structure to be very successful. The money is not in the Equus (E Class) for them. Hyundai and its Kia subsidiary will experiment with technology at the high end and very quickly bring it down to the mass market. They make good cars and are knocking on the door of making very good cars across the board. They are active in rallye and learn a lot from that as well. When you look at the market share for Hyundai/Kia over last 10 years and look at how they have been successful in porting several technologies in their lambda engine and get Peter Schreyer to come aboard you can imagine that they will be successful in creating a lasting brand. Eventually everyone wants to move up=Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, Amati (remember that one), etc....BTW, Genesis and Equus do not carry the Hyundai label!!

Question for the consumer is actually quite simple: how important is the brand (does it define you?), do you like the drive and do you want to be seen in it, does it give you the user experience you want, and do you care about safety/reliability/quality, and can you afford it? A positive answer to all of these will get the car you want.

I can tell from personal experience that many persons I know do not care about reliability and quality (as much as some of us on this particular forum) and will NEVER be seen in anything other than German. Yet many C and D class cars will meet their needs for commuting no more than 20 miles a day including a Hyundai; including the fact that they can move up to an E segment for the same price.

At the Phoenix and DC car show=the Hyundai booth was mobbed including the Genesis and Equus. I am not surprised that people are now cross shopping...as soon as the perception of a Korean car wears off I think Genesis and Equus will do well...Samsung and LG seem to be doing just fine.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:21 AM
10th Gear

But it's a perspective situation.

The Hyundai Equus is not a performance car--it's a premium luxury sedan. It's a car that drives you. The RLX Sport Hybrid is a much different kind of car, tuned and designed for more spirit driving dynamics as well as being a luxury sporty sedan. To compare them in that perspective is somewhat of a misnomer. Just because they're of comparable size and luxury, it doesn't mean that they were designed to appeal to the same people.
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985

The Hyundai Equus is not a performance car--it's a premium luxury sedan. It's a car that drives you. The RLX Sport Hybrid is a much different kind of car, tuned and designed for more spirit driving dynamics as well as being a luxury sporty sedan. To compare them in that perspective is somewhat of a misnomer. Just because they're of comparable size and luxury, it doesn't mean that they were designed to appeal to the same people.
I agree with your thoughts 100%......not really comparable nor are most other large lux sedans. The Sport Hybrid has a dual personality -- which is why I like it so much. Hard to find this combination of handling, economy and luxury in one car.
The following users liked this post:
Zoommer (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 02:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985

I don't buy a car for performance, at our ages, wife and I, we were looking for a large car to drive down the coast on the weekends, catch a hotel, walk the beach and go out for good dinners and entertainment. So our requirement for a car was size and comfort not performance. I thought the Equus was a good car, i was not crazy about how it drove but I am a technology buff, in fact if the sales person was will to negotiate on the price and trade I might be driving it versus the RLX. We drove a MB, Lexus, Audi when looking for a new car and felt they all did not meet what we wanted, size and comfort. I brought the RLX with our even driving it, they did not have one on the site. They had me drive the TLX and I had no intrest. To me no comparison with the RLX. The Sales Manager had one and I look at it, sat in it with the mrs and told them to order one for me fully loaded. I brought it based on my previous experience with the RL and not really liking any of the other cars we looked at. No regrets!!!! Also, I was just replying to an inquiry by the thread owner for someone input who had experience driving the Equus.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:34 PM
RLX Hybrid #053

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
I agree with your thoughts 100%......not really comparable nor are most other large lux sedans. The Sport Hybrid has a dual personality -- which is why I like it so much. Hard to find this combination of handling, economy and luxury in one car.
let me add my two cents' worth; i do agree with Malibu Flyer. the difference between the RLXh and German luxury cars is like the difference between an Omega and a Rolex. everyone knows about Rolex with all what that image carries, an Omega is just as good but more stealth. few years back Mercedes had a printed add that goes, something like; Mercedes S Class because no one can read your business card from 100' away. i find now business people are looking for more discreet way to enjoy the fruits of their labour without the look at me with envy.
the Acura is just that. it is a discreet car without the look at me badges of the German or the over-done 'me too' lines of the Equus. The somewhat bland exterior of the RLX hides a wonderful driving dynamics, a drive-train similar to that of the best super cars, the best sound system in the world, sound insulation that even quiets the next lane boombox cars and a very comfortable ride. i should also note that all my friends loved the car even though most drive German. also clients dont think im overcharging or worth; i have made it and dont need the patronage "cant act more royal than Caesar".
long-winded message to say that the RLXh is for you to enjoy in a semi-discreet way, you'll still get few nodes, and drive like the best sport sedans.
The following 5 users liked this post by timmins:
fsmith (01-14-2015), Pens Fan (01-14-2015), phins2rt (01-14-2015), sooththetruth (01-14-2015), wstr75 (01-13-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 05:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Equus is based on last Generation Genesis and while a nice car lacks many of the refinements that the competitors have and even compared to the new Genesis. Also the Equus gets beat up for an extremely floaty ride. I am more eager to see the next gen Equus since obliviously Hyundai held back some of the best goodies form the new Genesis for that. The K900 should begin to give some insight to the new Equus.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:41 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
^^^ Indeed. Keep your eye on Hyundai, and for that matter Kia.

Although the Equus is the Korean limousine and not a fair comparison to the RLX. I believe Acura wants you to drive the RLX whereas the Equus is a car you ride. As we Americans are bent on prestige of brand, the Asian culture has focus on prestige with back seat comfort and amenities. Look at the long wheelbase derivatives being created just for the China market.

Hyundai and Kia have made aggressive leaps in style by acquiring the Audi lead stylist Peter Schreyer. That has produces tasteful, even exciting products of late. But the criticisms still ding handling not up to global leaders.

Bam! Hyundai just hired Alber Biermann, the BMW M Performance chief engineer. I will be watching this.

Although the Hyundai engines are refined and powerful, they yet do not produce the efficiency Honda, or even Toyota produce. But nice styling + better handling + value / content + excellent warranty and Acura has a problem in it's rear view mirror. That was the formula that permitted Acura to take on European luxury. And now the Koreans are doing it to the Japanese, at a far accelerated pace.

Although Acura does not offer a soft limo to equate with Equus, should the next Equus leap as the current Genesis (from which it is based) I could see the Equus overlapping PAWS RLX buyers.

Acura needs to prove Sport Hybrid technology for the brand and lineup. It may be the attribute which defines Acura. If it is just about the excellence of a Honda engine, well one could just buy a.....Honda.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:59 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Acura needs to prove Sport Hybrid technology for the brand and lineup.
I agree and I hope that is where they are going. As of 2016, we'll have two of them, at least (the RLX Sport Hybrid/New Legend and the NSX Sport Hybrid/Honda NSX).

It also explains why last year (2013) an employee of American Honda was telling a car reviewer that we'd very soon come to believe that SH-AWD was obsolete or old hat.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Test drive of the Equus Signature last night

Out of pure curiosity with absolutely no intention of buying one, I stopped by my local dealer to drive the Equus last night. I told the salesman that I wanted to drive it and not to "sell me". He let me go without needing to do the usual sit in the car and talk my ear off while driving. After 30 seconds and 30 mph, I wanted out. The next 10 minutes of driving confirmed my first impressions of the driving dynamics. This is the perfect car for the 70-80 year old male living in Boca Raton, FL. For anyone else with a sporting side to them, don't even bother. It rides like a limo, accelerates like there is a sponge between your right foot and the accelerator, brakes as if you do not want to spill your champagne or late', and when you take any turn it starts wallowing, telling you this car is NOT suited for any road other than a straight one. After spending 14 days with my Sport Hybrid, to get into the Equus was shockingly bad in comparison. If you have any doubt about my impressions, drive one yourself and you will see. The engine, while quiet in cruising mode, sounds a little snarky which is nice, but it reminded me of what a Ford Crown Vic or a Lincoln Town Car sounded like when you hit the gas to merge into traffic. The sound was definately not Lexus like, and crude sounding in relation to the Sport Hybrid. The technology was very good and the back seat arm rest features were great, but I imagined my boys constantly messing with everything and the arguments that would ensue to stop touching everything which would be a distraction to the act of driving, and eliminate any enjoyment.

In short, would I buy one? Never. When I got back to the dealership, I found the salesman looking over my brand new Sport Hybrid as if I were looking to trade it. He asked me why I was looking at the Equus as it appeared that my car was less than a year old. He did not know that Acura made a hybrid, nor did he know how special a car he was looking at. He asked me if I liked the car, and I thought he was asking about the Equus. I said no, and proceeded to share my issues with it to him. About 2 minutes later he clarified his question and said "I was asking about the Acura". Then I shared my thoughts about how the two were so different in so many ways. He brought me inside to discuss my potential purchase, and his cheesy sales manager sauntered over to sell me the Equus. They offered $53,295 for the Signature. Without going into more details of the deal and the perks they offer while owning an Equus, it was irrelevant because I never was going to buy one anyway. I was very happy to get back into my car which turned on silently in hybrid mode and quietly pulled out of the parking lot.
The following 5 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
2011TL (01-14-2015), hondamore (01-14-2015), miner (01-16-2015), timmins (01-14-2015), woropallo (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like you are having post purchase rationalization, and that is good, with good and accurate outcomes.
PS I also test drove some of the Hyundai's, and while nice, not the Acura feel.

Last edited by flagship; 01-14-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
^^ This is the nut of it. Many on these boards go on about "25K Hyundai (or Kia) has this or that feature and the 35K Acura does not." There is no question the Korean companies' business model is to load their cars with lots of perceived features that are "sort of" like the features in high end cars. But for me, their big shortfall is driving dynamics. Every Hyundai or Kia I've ever driven has mediocre (at best) driving dynamics. Also a ton of little things seem to be beyond their present reach - e.g., brake and throttle pedal feel/modulation, switch feel, etc. They'll probably get there some day, but they are still - at least for knowledgeable driving enthusiasts - quite a few paces off the better Japanese cars in their comparable classes.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Why not include the Toyota Avalon in this Equus vs RLX discussion? Doesn't the Avalon provide even more value than the Equus, to the 70-year old? Impeccable quality, too.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
So the Equis is a floaty boat no doubt, as was the first Genesis to some degree, but the Koreans learn fast, the new Genesis is getting good reviews for much better driving dynamics. Considering this is,the 2G Genesis I expect the 3G will bee even further improved and refined.