2014 RLX Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 04:04 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
2014 RLX Hybrids

Greetings HUmans,

After being immersed in negotiations for a '16 Advanced about 6 weeks ago that went south precipitously due to a health issue and I'm just now regaining my prior state, hopefully for the long term again.

Renewing my search a few days ago, it seems clear the pace of availability hasn't changed significantly but, it does appear, though still VERY small, there are more '14s BUT, what seems crazy pricing.
HELL, a couple are priced higher than used/CPO '16/'17s!
Is this new stoopid marketing? WTH, maybe we'll find someone who knows nothing and we'll $15/20K in one sale!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Good Morning Earthling! Sounds like you had a health setback. I hope you are feeling better. Nothing else matters if you don't feel well. Seems weird that a 2014 would be on the market for anything similar to a newer model if I am understanding your post correctly. Must be a misprint.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
^^Agreed. Must be a misprint. For a quick ballpark on pre-owned pricing, I usually take a peek at Carmax. They currently have 3 2014's with various mileage and asking in the mid 20's. Probably not the best source, but it is an easy search.

As mentioned, best of luck on regaining good health!!!!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Good Morning Earthling! Sounds like you had a health setback. I hope you are feeling better. Nothing else matters if you don't feel well. Seems weird that a 2014 would be on the market for anything similar to a newer model if I am understanding your post correctly. Must be a misprint.
Mistake? LOL, one, I might agree but, not two. At least higher than newish/demo '16s/'17s. One call, got the ol' RARITY spiel w/perfect condition.
Just find it wacky & odd, guess we'll see how long they sit but, I have zero interest unless it was an abandon ship sale price
Old 07-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Great to have you back stagefoursurvivor. I guess the dealership believes that you can't catch a fool without bait on the hook...if someone doesn't do their homework, they might grossly overpay for a very rare car???? You are right that once it has sat for a while, they will be willing to look at all offers and come back down to earth with their pricing.

As has been discussed previously, the end of the month or end of a fiscal quarter seem to be the best time to swoop in with a lowball offer as they want to pad their sales reports and the salesman wants to boost his/her bonus cheque.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondamore
Great to have you back stagefoursurvivor. I guess the dealership believes that you can't catch a fool without bait on the hook...if someone doesn't do their homework, they might grossly overpay for a very rare car???? You are right that once it has sat for a while, they will be willing to look at all offers and come back down to earth with their pricing.

As has been discussed previously, the end of the month or end of a fiscal quarter seem to be the best time to swoop in with a lowball offer as they want to pad their sales reports and the salesman wants to boost his/her bonus cheque.

Good luck in your search.
I'd like to add, one of the dealers was 10/10 on customer service when we bought the '12 RL from a non/Acura competitor when I requested the service records couple years ago.
I would buy from them w/o hesitation at a realistic price for a '14 Advanced but, '16 is my target
Old 07-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Glad you are recovering. Just don't buy my old '14 Sport Hybrid. Good hunting!
Old 07-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Racer

Thanks everyone for the well wishes

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Glad you are recovering. Just don't buy my old '14 Sport Hybrid. Good hunting!
NB, LOL, naw. '14 isn't the target. I don't envision any offers to persuade me to a '14. No remote start, 360 camera, heated wheel
Old 07-29-2017, 09:23 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor
... there are more '14s BUT, what seems crazy pricing.
HELL, a couple are priced higher than used/CPO '16/'17s!
Is this new stoopid marketing?!
It's possible that people invested more money in the initial 450 KC2 that came into North America in the fall of 2014.

Nobody could find one for me until October 2014, and I paid 63,000 for it.

They're cheaper now.

If you make an offer based on the knowledge you have, and you have the money or financing ready, you could very well get your way.

:-)
Old 07-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Grandpa

No remote start, 360 camera, heated wheel
Yes, we're all of us 2014 owners very jealous. :-)
Old 07-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
It's possible that people invested more money in the initial 450 KC2 that came into North America in the fall of 2014.

Nobody could find one for me until October 2014, and I paid 63,000 for it.

They're cheaper now.

If you make an offer based on the knowledge you have, and you have the money or financing ready, you could very well get your way.

:-)
In large part, since the RLX Hybrid is for my TW, the heated wheel is a BIG allure(wimmins! LOL).
So, to seriously even consider a '14 Advanced in 100% pristine CPO condition in a suitable color combo, would in the realm of an "offer I can't refuse".
Never say, never but, that seems wholly unlikely from either NJ dealer that has one.
I'm currently in preliminary negotiations on a '16 CPO but, distance & adding CPO yrs/miles can muddy the OTD by several $1000s at minimum. Sadly, I'm unable to just jump on a plane right now.
It's all good, we adapt and prevail or stay on the porch with the ankle biters
Attached Thumbnails 2014 RLX Hybrids-fullsizeoutput_870.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-30-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Racer

Ya never know

Somewhat out of the blue, I received a call about a '14 today that still has me in their database, probably from my RL search but not certain.

In any event, he said he has a '14 RLX Hybrid & yada, yada, etc that they're offering a super deal. I didn't reveal any interest due to the lack heated wheel, remote start & 360 camera, which is true.
OTOH, after the call, I began thinking I didn't really know the differences between '14 & '16 other than this 3 upgrades. If they truly made me an offer that's ridiculous...maybe?
I know remote start can be added but, is an entirely different key than the integrated set for the '16s
This wouldn't impact my search for a '16 and maybe I'd change MY DD. Of course, dealers have an entirely different concept of "great deals".
I'm also skeptical of the first MY gremlins reported here, especially Bob.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Navi system is unbearably slow in the 2014. I think it was fixed in the 2016, but not positive.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd aim for a 2016, which we know for sure are solid. The navi was also improved in that year. Don't be a beta-tester unless the price is really, insanely, good. I was happy to beta-test the car, but you shouldn't have to.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
The NAV was definitely improved in the 2016+ models. The 2016 SH I test drove not only had the improved performance, but it also had the newer capacitive touch-screen vs the resistive touch-screen used in the 2014-2015 models. This was another element that led to poor input response on the 2014-2015 models. The capacitive touch-screen was first used in the 2015 TLX and was a big improvement over the older resistive touch-screens.

My 16 ILX A-spec has the newer NAV and capacitive touch-screen, and while it's not perfect (and IMO way behind the other brands), it's a major improvement over the mess that was in my 2014 RLX.

Knowing and experiencing what I did with my RLX, I would stay far away from any 2014 RLX. SH or PAWS. Period.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:29 AM
Racer

Nav?

Thanks gentlemen,

As for the Navigation, I have to accept being a dinosaur, rarely ever used them and found the rare occasion for use unreliable by MB, Volvo & Acura. Tried Waze a couple times my iPhone.
I guess I was more interested in the differences in driving dynamics of the '14 vs '16. A '14 would simply be a replacement for me BIG MAYBE only.
A '16 for TW is the main focus, this segue to a '14 is purely speculative and unlikely. I drove a '14 couple years ago but, lack the skill nor memory to make an informed opinion. WTH, I could drive both today, I STILL may not have the skill, I value the opinion of those better suited, which is why I come here!
This method has allowed me to overcome awfully gargantuan obstacles the past 18 years and hopefully helped a few others by my advocacy.
In an alternate universe, Spock's tagline would be, "Live long and share your prosperity"
Old 07-30-2017, 06:45 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
I'd love to hear a better driver (like George Knighton ) comment on handling and suspension control differences between the 2014 and 2016 Sport Hybrids. That'd give you one answer, given that for most mere mortals, seeing either a 2014 or a 2016 Sport Hybrid in the same region qualifies as a unicorn finding....a lot like my CTS-V wagon, one of two in my metro of 2.5 million.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 07:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

In large part, since the RLX Hybrid is for my TW, the heated wheel is a BIG allure(wimmins! LOL).
So, to seriously even consider a '14 Advanced in 100% pristine CPO condition in a suitable color combo, would in the realm of an "offer I can't refuse".
Never say, never but, that seems wholly unlikely from either NJ dealer that has one.
I'm currently in preliminary negotiations on a '16 CPO but, distance & adding CPO yrs/miles can muddy the OTD by several $1000s at minimum. Sadly, I'm unable to just jump on a plane right now.
What breed of dogs are those? They look happy and content. I'm glad you are feeling better.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:21 AM
Racer

What breed of dogs are those? They look happy and content. I'm glad you are feeling better.
Evie, 2.5yrs on the L is our Blue Weimaraner Princess, Lily, 10mos on the R is our Grey Weimaraner puppy girl. We're a Weimie family over many years.
Greatest breed if you connect with their culture and devotion!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

We are a Labrador family but I don't know very much about the Weimaraner breed. Not to hijack the thread but what is their demeanor like? Our dogs have always been the sweetest kindest animals over the years.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Grandpa

This is mine.

Alice, yclept Dread Regard.

She is crazy.

She's named for Princess Alice, mother of the Duke of Edinburgh. Princess Alice was also usually crazy, heard voices, and became a saint at one point or another.

She was also called by Israel "Righteous Among the Nations."

In the end, a holy woman but...still pretty crazy. :-)
Attached Thumbnails 2014 RLX Hybrids-img_0023.jpg   2014 RLX Hybrids-gunner-alice.jpg  
neuronbob (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Grandpa

Last summer, Alice jumped the fence when an innocent teenager waved his pool noodle just to say hello.

At my age, I had quite a problem getting over the fence to catch her.
stagefoursurvivor (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 09:59 AM
Racer

This is mine.

She is crazy.

She's named for Princess Alice, mother of the Duke of Edinburgh. Princess Alice was also usually crazy, heard voices, and became a saint at one point or another.

WHAT a Beauty!
Crazy? I have yet to encounter any pooch crazier than the average HUman
Old 07-30-2017, 10:21 AM
Racer

Last summer, Alice jumped the fence when an innocent teenager waved his pool noodle just to say hello.

At my age, I had quite a problem getting over the fence to catch her.
LOLOL, I'd pay cash money for a video of that event!
Although, I couldn't even restrain ours to save my own life, especially for a gang of marauding tennis balls or squirrels!
Old 07-30-2017, 05:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I've been struggling over what TW meant, but I finally got it.
I'm a boater and we call them Admirals
Old 07-30-2017, 05:51 PM
Racer

We are a Labrador family but I don't know very much about the Weimaraner breed. Not to hijack the thread but what is their demeanor like? Our dogs have always been the sweetest kindest animals over the years.
Very smart(the dog with a human brain), loyal, devoted, velcro companions, in-home pranksters demanding closeness with their family, A key point for us, no allergies in the family.
They DO need a human pack leader or they rule the roost. They are not a breed for for everyone. Our male Gunnar that we lost a year ago after 12.5 years was the most extraordinary dog I've ever seen. Never required a leash on walks, totally obedient regardless of distractions, fearlessly loyal but, shy around strangers with assertion but, not aggression to perceived threats. BIG boy 95lbs2014 RLX Hybrids-fullsizeoutput_373.jpeg
RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:35 AM
Racer

Like it

This is mine.

She is crazy.

BTW, George,

Having worked in Boro Park many years and being a RC, I have a good sense of all levels of Judaism and much respect for the Israelis. As a group, they're no different than any others. In fact, IMO, they may be more generous & industrious than others.
Quite frankly, I did NOT know "Righteous Among the Nations" designation was ever bestowed on a non-humans.
Pooches are good with me!
RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 07:34 AM
Grandpa

I did NOT know "Righteous Among the Nations" designation was ever bestowed on a non-humans.
I must have typed imprecisely. I apologize.

The title was bestowed on Alice, meaning Princess Alice of Battenberg (nee Princess Andrew of the Hellenes and of Denmark).

She refused to leave Greece during the Nazi occupation and lived in poverty there. However, the Nazis were afraid to touch her personally, or her property. Because of this, she was able to hide a Jewish family in her house in Athens, although they had a very hard time feeding themselves sometimes because she could never say why she needed more food than made sense.

She habitually violated curfew, and distributed aid throughout Athens in the dead of night. The Gestapo followed her but gave up on stopping her because they did not want to risk the publicity of laying hands on royalty, even if it was impoverished royalty.

When people tried to stop her, saying she might be shot before people knew it was she, her reply was that she had heard somewhere that you never hear the bullet that is meant for you, and it didn't matter to her anyway because she was deaf at any rate.

An odd note: Because Princess Alice was the mother of Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh, the prince to this day can communicate in sign language.

There's a kind of odd Greek-Danish-German "accent" to it sometimes, which can make Americans frown and concentrate, but he still manages pretty well.

Later in life, Princess Alice was consecrated a nun, and was anointed a deaconess.

The Israeli government cooperated with burying her in Jerusalem. The Duke of Cambridge and the Prince of Wales visit her grave occasionally.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
neuronbob (07-31-2017), pgeorg (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Very interesting GK! I enjoy reading your comments.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

....and this is another thing I enjoy about the RLX forum: learned comments on history. Thanks for sharing, George.
pgeorg (07-31-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:09 AM
Grandpa

An off topic stroll far out into left field. :-)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I'd like to add, one of the dealers was 10/10 on customer service when we bought the '12 RL from a non/Acura competitor when I requested the service records couple years ago.
I would buy from them w/o hesitation at a realistic price for a '14 Advanced but, '16 is my target
After reading on Neuro's issues seems like the 14's are hit or miss. I also would only choose a 2016-17.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Racer

Huh, sketchy/shady?

In my recent negotiating for a '16 on a standard 62K/+1yr authorized Acura CPO for cost to extend this b-b coverage, they replied they DO NOT offer Acura Extensions beyond 62/+1, ONLY their third party?
Can this be true, is Acura on-board with one of their dealers setting these terms?
Had they responded with some ridiculous rate, I'd have ignored it but, to flat out refuse to offer it put me in long pause
Old 08-02-2017, 09:13 AM
Grandpa

I have 120,000 on my KC2, but it was a purchase, not a lease and not a CPO.

I don't know if that's relevant to your search, but I noticed that the warranty is not a Honda factory provided warranty. The Acura dealer is managing it, and it is "official" but it is managed by the dealer, not the factory.

I drive too much to ever get a lease.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:24 AM
Racer

I have 120,000 on my KC2, but it was a purchase, not a lease and not a CPO.

I don't know if that's relevant to your search, but I noticed that the warranty is not a Honda factory provided warranty. The Acura dealer is managing it, and it is "official" but it is managed by the dealer, not the factory.

I drive too much to ever get a lease.
Thanks George
I'm most concerned about TW being able to go to ANY Acura dealer down the road without headaches on coverage