2014 with 56K miles. replaced trans axle seal - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

2014 with 56K miles. replaced trans axle seal

 
Old 08-17-2018, 01:46 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
jpadilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin,TX
Age: 43
Posts: 597
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
2014 with 56K miles. replaced trans axle seal

Out of warranty by 5 months. Noticed transmission case covered in coil last week when I change motor oil. Took into dealership to have some other maintance done and they pointed out the leak coming from trans axle seal ... $400 repair. Dont tell me this is where it starts breaking down on me.
jpadilla is offline  
Old 08-19-2018, 08:46 AM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
kingofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 278
Thanked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Its just probably a freak thing. Most likely because you live in such a hot climate in Austin that the rubber seal might have cracked or hardened and caused oil to leak.
kingofire is offline  
Old 08-22-2018, 09:10 AM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
miner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Age: 61
Posts: 3,619
Thanked 297 Times in 189 Posts
Drivetrain is covered by a 6 yr/60000 mile warranty.
miner is offline  
Old 08-22-2018, 06:58 PM
  #4  
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 19,223
Thanked 3,489 Times in 1,758 Posts
For 2014s, the powertrain warranty is 6 years/70k miles. OP may wanna talk to his dealer.
neuronbob is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to neuronbob For This Useful Post:
miner (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:58 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
moose66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 421
Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
For 2014s, the powertrain warranty is 6 years/70k miles. OP may wanna talk to his dealer.
If the warranty is as you state, and OP had to pay for the repair, he might want to find a different dealer. I assume when the VIN was pulled and input into the computer for the repair quote, it would show warranty status? Or is that expecting too much?
moose66 is offline  
Old 08-23-2018, 12:15 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
miner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Age: 61
Posts: 3,619
Thanked 297 Times in 189 Posts
Certainly there wouldn't consider a seal a wear item.
miner is offline  
Old 08-23-2018, 12:51 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Western Canada
Age: 58
Posts: 1,721
Thanked 802 Times in 432 Posts
The repair should be covered by the powertrain warranty. If there is some loophole which causes it to NOT be covered, I'd still make a call to Acura corporate headquarters customer service and see if they will help you out with the repair cost .
hondamore is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to hondamore For This Useful Post:
neuronbob (08-23-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:52 AM
  #8  
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia, Besieged
Age: 63
Posts: 7,050
Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,364 Posts
Originally Posted by jpadilla View Post
Out of warranty by 5 months. Noticed transmission case covered in coil last week when I change motor oil. Took into dealership to have some other maintance done and they pointed out the leak coming from trans axle seal ... $400 repair. Dont tell me this is where it starts breaking down on me.
Got hit with some stuff yesterday, including the driver side transmission axle seal.

Started with symptoms of a bad battery, but because the battery had been certified "good" by the dealer with a B1 service three weeks ago, I thought it had to be something else.

Towed it long distance instead of jumping it because I knew that whatever was wrong, I wouldn't have the rear electric motors and I wouldn't enjoy it.

By the time they decide to flush the brake system, replace the battery, replace the transmission/axle seal, decide to replace the cabin air filters and rotate the tyres, I've got a big bill on my hands.

The first big unscheduled bill.

Kind of annoying.

And because the dealer's so far from my home in the country, I'm renting a Ford Eco-something to drive around. Just...awful. Awful, I'm telling you.

LOL....
George Knighton is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to George Knighton For This Useful Post:
pgeorg (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:54 AM
  #9  
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia, Besieged
Age: 63
Posts: 7,050
Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,364 Posts
Let's see, here.

Rental will be about 120.00 plus 75.00 to drop it at another station.

Let's say axle seal is 240, battery they say is 285 (WTF!!!), maybe 50 to rotate tyres, maybe 150 for cabin filters...yeah...this is annoying....maybe...what?...100 for brake flush?

And deciding to flat bed the car instead of driving it cost 280-something.
George Knighton is offline  
Old 09-12-2018, 08:01 AM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
kingofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 278
Thanked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
Let's see, here.

Rental will be about 120.00 plus 75.00 to drop it at another station.

Let's say axle seal is 240, battery they say is 285 (WTF!!!), maybe 50 to rotate tyres, maybe 150 for cabin filters...yeah...this is annoying....maybe...what?...100 for brake flush?

And deciding to flat bed the car instead of driving it cost 280-something.
You need to start using an independent Honda mechanic and you should also get AAA.
kingofire is offline  
Old 09-12-2018, 08:45 AM
  #11  
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia, Besieged
Age: 63
Posts: 7,050
Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,364 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofire View Post
You need to start using an independent Honda mechanic and you should also get AAA.
Maybe. This is the first time I've towed a car in decades. It's just annoying.

An independent Honda mechanic in Culpeper VA who will handle a KC2. I'll get right on that. :-)

It's almost enough to make me buy a Toyota. We have one of those dealers.
George Knighton is offline  
Old 09-12-2018, 09:10 AM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
miner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Age: 61
Posts: 3,619
Thanked 297 Times in 189 Posts
Chalk it up to car ownership George. There are advantages to having a local dealer, but if you want a unique auto what you have experienced is about par.
miner is offline  
Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 AM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Limelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 540
Thanked 306 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
It's almost enough to make me buy a Toyota. We have one of those dealers.
I will say the new Camry XSE V6 in white with a black roof is quite sexy....
Limelight is offline  
Old 09-12-2018, 10:29 AM
  #14  
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia, Besieged
Age: 63
Posts: 7,050
Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,364 Posts
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Chalk it up to car ownership George. There are advantages to having a local dealer, but if you want a unique auto what you have experienced is about par.
You know me. I just don't like losing control. :-)
George Knighton is offline  
Old 09-12-2018, 11:17 AM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Western Canada
Age: 58
Posts: 1,721
Thanked 802 Times in 432 Posts
Hey George, a few points:

As with the OP, it is probably worth a call to Acura Corporate to see it they will help you with the transmission axle seal. If it is not covered by the powertrain warranty, the fact that your bumper to bumper warranty just expired might get you some help. (although it usually helps to make that call BEFORE the service is done)

The cabin air filter you can buy online for around $30-40 and installation takes about 5 minutes.

The battery replacement and brake fluid flush is part of normal car maintenance. Aftermarket batteries can be found much cheaper or getting to know the parts manager at your Acura dealer can usually get you a bit better price.

Regarding the rental, if you pre arrange things with your Acura dealer, they would usually offer you a loaner car for the time your RLX is being serviced although your distance from their shop may preclude that and you'd still have to get a ride there unless you rode along with the tow. At least you would have an MDX or RDX to drive around in and not a - gasp - Ford.

All of that said, I can appreciate your frustration at being so far away from an Acura dealership - I'd chalk that up to the cost of enjoying the serenity of country living.
hondamore is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 04:32 AM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
DanL07RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 169
Thanked 51 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
Got hit with some stuff yesterday, including the driver side transmission axle seal.

Started with symptoms of a bad battery, but because the battery had been certified "good" by the dealer with a B1 service three weeks ago, I thought it had to be something else.

Towed it long distance instead of jumping it because I knew that whatever was wrong, I wouldn't have the rear electric motors and I wouldn't enjoy it.

By the time they decide to flush the brake system, replace the battery, replace the transmission/axle seal, decide to replace the cabin air filters and rotate the tyres, I've got a big bill on my hands.

The first big unscheduled bill.

Kind of annoying.

And because the dealer's so far from my home in the country, I'm renting a Ford Eco-something to drive around. Just...awful. Awful, I'm telling you.

LOL....
Except for the tranny seal, all of that can be easily done DIY. Just sayin'...
DanL07RL is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 07:21 AM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
miner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Age: 61
Posts: 3,619
Thanked 297 Times in 189 Posts
^ Sometimes DIY is not an option for various reasons
miner is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 07:58 AM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
RLX-Sport Hybrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,742
Thanked 1,073 Times in 477 Posts
I'm going to take a slightly different path on this topic. By no means am I defending Acura, but it is a machine and things do fail due to wear. Any machine requires maintenance. I just replaced my front rotors due to shuttering at high speeds when they heated up. Was it absolutely needed? No. But it was about $500 of optional maintenance even though the pads were basically not worn at all after 70,000 miles. Amazing. I felt weird having basically new pads thrown out when replacing the rotors, but you don't want to use old pads on new rotors. It is smooth as silk now and if another repair item appears (optional or not), I will fix that too. I probably will get another year out of my tires and will gladly replace them with the same make/model/size when they are needed. I still love the car and have no plans to replace it. However once the "fun car" arrives next spring, the Blackbird will see about 10,000 miles of use per year so its usable lifespan will be extended significantly.

Just my two cents. Enjoy your day everyone.
RLX-Sport Hybrid is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 09:26 AM
  #19  
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia, Besieged
Age: 63
Posts: 7,050
Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,364 Posts
Originally Posted by DanL07RL View Post
Except for the tranny seal, all of that can be easily done DIY. Just sayin'...
The battery had been checked and rated at 600 amps just three weeks before. I just didn't think it could be the battery.
George Knighton is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 10:32 AM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
RLX-Sport Hybrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,742
Thanked 1,073 Times in 477 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
The battery had been checked and rated at 600 amps just three weeks before. I just didn't think it could be the battery.
I replaced my battery many months ago with a dealer part. The price was similar to anything aftermarket I could find. It was an easy replacement.
RLX-Sport Hybrid is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 11:35 AM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
twiz03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 33
Posts: 122
Thanked 13 Times in 6 Posts
The axle seal under the power train warranty.. don't let them charge you for it.. pull the warranty manual show it to the service advisor...

My sister's 2013 RDX had the same issue and they were going to charge me $350 to do it.. I pulled the warranty manual and showed them that axle seals are under power train.. My mother in law's 2015 RDX and and parent's 2015 MDX both have the same axle seal leak at around 50k miles... Must be something with the J35/6spd auto...
twiz03 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
james21_h
Fourth Generation TL (2009-2014)
73
07-11-2018 12:15 PM
aZnTSX
1G TSX Problems & Fixes
9
08-07-2011 04:31 AM
elusiv
Second Generation TL (1999-2003)
1
05-01-2008 01:55 PM
Mokos23
First Generation TSX Discussion (2004-2008)
8
04-14-2008 02:34 PM
bz268
1G TSX Problems & Fixes
0
08-07-2007 11:51 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 with 56K miles. replaced trans axle seal


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.