18 Sport Hybrid when 19s or FMC

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
18 Sport Hybrid when 19s or FMC

So we got an email to come see the new RDX at the dealership and while there I was saying what a shame it will be that I will be leaving Acura at the end of my 15 TLX lease in October with a new TLX coming next year. We were talking about the Type-S coming back and the sales guy suggested a 18 RLX Sport Hybrid. I was like I thought they were non-existent. They had one with Black on Ivory, not my colors, but figured I would drive it since I had not seen the 18 and the updates are very attractive. I was very impressed with the car, ride was good, drive train was great off the line. Cabin was spacious and comfortable. The ride was better than the PAWS when it first released. The biggest issue is the hard unit. What a joke that they could not at least give it the same updates that at least the 18 TLX got.

The dealer without any prodding offered me a Sport Hybrid for $52.4K and lease at 2.4% rate, very attractive. Since I am so under miles on my TLX lease they will roll over 15K miles into the RLX. I am very tempted.

So so since I have not been following the RLX I was curious about 2 things, first when will the 19s be out? And does anyone have any idea when we might see a new RLX?

The following users liked this post:
sri_gondi (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
And does anyone have any idea when we might see a new RLX?
We think that the schedule calls for an FMC for the 2020 model year; however, there is also talk of eliminating the Legend from the USDM altogether, especially if tariffs take hold.

(The KC1 and KC2 are 100% Saiyama cars.)
Old 05-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
One possibility for you to consider KeithL is to lease the 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid for three years and then pick up a 2021 model year of the new FMC RLX/Legend which would likely be the second year of production (assuming things follow the rumored plan). This would give Acura a year to correct any "first year build" bugs and glitches that may pop up and you would avoid the "new model pricing" that can be predatory and instead take advantage of the "second year" deals that are easier to get and much kinder to your bank account. Finally, it would give you three years to enjoy the 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid which is a wonderful car to drive (a drive so enjoyable that you learn to live with the dated infotainment unit???).

Of course, as George mentioned, there is still a lot of mystery surrounding the FMC although I believe they will still make a flagship sedan even if they have to move production to the NSX facility in Ohio.

Just my two cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
Malibu Flyer (05-22-2018), MuGen7Modulo (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks. It is funny because the car was not on my list, the 3 cars on my list were G80 Sport, G70 Sport and S90. S90 was a long shot as it was not very sporty, but drove well and very luxurious interior. The G80 Sport in Havana Red is a gorgeous car and drives great, but interior is a tad cramped due to large tranny tunnel. Not to mention the AWD sucks gas at 14MPH City, but it sure goes like hell when you punch it. So I am waffling from practical sumptuous luxury or luxury-ish sports sedan.

hondamore (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 11:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

KeithL, may I ask where you found the first picture in your above post which appears to be of the speculated 2020 Legend/RLX?? Or is that the rumored WLX or just the Precision Concept with door handles and mirrors?? Did the article have any further information??
Just curious if info is starting to leak out from Acura or the picture is pure speculation. That is a pretty slick looking car. Thanks

Last edited by hondamore; 05-22-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry, do not recall, can’t even find the the photo now.

I took the 18 RLX Hybrid our again today. This time I drove a G80 Sport first, then the RLX and then went home in my TLX. What I found interesting is how going from RLX to my TLX I really was surprised how much I like my TLX ride. The RLX is really a large spacious cabin well appointed and very quiet. I get the target audience for the RLX is probably a retired person, but it was a tad soft and floaty to me. Under most commute conditions it is probably great, but you could feel the slight wallowing. I blame some of that o. The crappy Goodyear’s, what is it with Acura and putting crappy tires on recent models. I will say the car exudes what you expect from a luxury car. I still come back to the biggest mistake Acura made was not trying to refresh the head until a little. That infotainment system is the biggest draw back to the car.

I am am still torn, part of me is I presed enough and intrigued by the Hybrid and playing the EV mode game, but not sure I can do 3 years in it.
hondamore (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^^Your experience likely defines the difference between a "luxury Sports sedan" like the TLX and a "sports Luxury sedan" like the RLX.

As others in the adaptive damper thread have mentioned, a good set of adaptive dampers would have done wonders for the RLX refresh so that drivers could decide when they want a smooth luxurious ride and when they wanted things to tighten up a bit and have some fun. Alas, the refresh is likely only going to be around for a couple of years and Acura/Honda didn't want to redesign the suspension for a couple years of a model that will only sell a few thousand units in that time. That said, with the Sport Hybrid SHAWD, the handling in the RLX is still a lot of fun and you still get to enjoy that smooth, quiet ride during your daily commute.

Just my two cents
Old 05-31-2018, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah it is a shame they did not do a more extensive refresh and then ride it another 3-4 years. I did take another one out for a more extended drive today and I also suspect the damn Goodyear’s are not helping. The first thing I did on my TLX was swap the tires. I was really impressed with the seats, they fit like a glove and yet have good lumber lateral support. My biggest dilemma is will I regret going this route when the new TLX arrives in 12 months.

The RLX is a really great luxurious ride with a tad of handling, very quiet and smooth as silk. The switching of,the gas engine on and off is barely detectable.

One thing I did notice is off the line punch it and there is a substantial lag waiting for the gas engine to fire up and spin up. I was hoping the 3 electric motors would have had better launch torque.

A question for for those that own one, is the HUD customizable? I notice it had speed and power distribution, is there an option for Navi or any speed limit recognition?
Old 05-31-2018, 05:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Put in Sport Mode, Brake Hold, Manual 1 selected from the gear selector behind the wheel, and floor it. A little tire spin from the front wheels and you are all in the mail passing 60 mph in 4.8 seconds, time after time. I prefer the Economy mode from 2nd gear up through 4th gear the best. You have to learn how to ride the torque wave as there are so many ways to access it, and NO test drive will be enough to learn all of the fun ways to get into it. I have NEVER had a situation where I said to myself, I wish I had more power. If anything you can get too aggressive to easily and get in trouble faster than you would like. 67,000 miles later and I am still very happy to get behind the wheel. In fact I will go do that now just because...
The following 5 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
fsmith (06-01-2018), hondamore (06-01-2018), Malibu Flyer (06-05-2018), MuGen7Modulo (05-31-2018), pgeorg (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Too many cars

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
A question for for those that own one, is the HUD customizable? I notice it had speed and power distribution, is there an option for Navi or any speed limit recognition?
Yes, there is an option for the NAV, but I have not tried it on mine yet. Before I picked mine up, I did a google search and found the manual online. It was nice being able to search the PDF, so I saved a copy as well.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

So we just got back from test drive for wife on 19 RDX and all I can say is wow. Th new cockpit is awesome. Makes the thought of putting up with the RLX interior for 3 years a bit tough to think about with a new TLX due in 12 months.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

So $10,500 discount seems to be the standard here in Atlanta for the Hybrid. Several dealers are quoting me the same numbers. So basically $52,365 for the car, the downside on the lease is money factor works out to be 2.4%, not bad, but not great when Genesis is offering 0.3%.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I’m sorry to say, Keith, but you are probably better off choosing a TLX A-Spec. I say this as a RLX Sport Hybrid fan. I love the revised look of the new car, but the lack of change in the head unit means that the tech in the TLX is better, for now, obviously excepting the hybrid hardware of the RLX.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:53 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
So we just got back from test drive for wife on 19 RDX and all I can say is wow. Th new cockpit is awesome. Makes the thought of putting up with the RLX interior for 3 years a bit tough to think about with a new TLX due in 12 months.
I'm not sure why they wanted to advertise the suspension settings so much that there's a huge fat knob right there in the middle of everything, like they expect you to keep changing a few times per trip.

Overall, I think the new RDX is incredible. 10 speed is great, SH-AWD is back...it's great. :-) Much improved head unit, and you can get HUD now. Safety features work quickly and reliably.

Typical, high quality, plain Honda interior.

I like it.
pgeorg (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 01:06 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I’m sorry to say, Keith, but you are probably better off choosing a TLX A-Spec. I say this as a RLX Sport Hybrid fan. I love the revised look of the new car, but the lack of change in the head unit means that the tech in the TLX is better, for now, obviously excepting the hybrid hardware of the RLX.
Counterpoint: At the next FMC for the TLX, the tech on the 18/19 will be outdated, too. If you are basing your purchase on interior tech alone, the TLX is superior, but if you are looking into ALL aspects, the RLX is the winner.
The following 2 users liked this post by mk5:
MuGen7Modulo (06-19-2018), neuronbob (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mk5
Counterpoint: At the next FMC for the TLX, the tech on the 18/19 will be outdated, too. If you are basing your purchase on interior tech alone, the TLX is superior, but if you are looking into ALL aspects, the RLX is the winner.
True. Some of my logic was go TLX becasue in 18 months I can get out of that for a new FMC TLX without too much of a blood bath on the Apsec, but if the Type-S is not out for another 2-3 then the RLX is a great option and I stick with it through the lease and go TLX Type-S then. There is a MSM Red Leather TLX landing in next 2 days and I may have just found a RLX MSM Ebony that I am trying to confirm a dealer can do a swap for. Once I have all the info I will decide.