Yes, the brakes work on their own!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:00 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Exclamation Yes, the brakes work on their own!

Today I was on my way into work, driving in the fast lane in the morning rush when the cars in front of me began to stop like an accordion. Whenever I have to stop quickly on a highway, I always look quickly in my rear view mirror to make sure no one is right on my butt so I can judge how hard I want to hit the brakes if I have room. I usually will ease into them to allow the guy behind me room to stop.

WELL - that's ain't happening anymore. Even though I had good distance between me and the car in front that was stopping, and I eased into the brake pedal to slow the car down, the RDX hit the brakes - hard. It was the strangest feeling I've ever had in a car. My foot was easing into the brakes but the car went into almost full stop. Of course, the guy behind me who was following too closely slammed on his brakes and turned into the breakdown lane so he had more room to stop. No accidents occurred fore or aft, but it was a real eye-opener I have to say.

I always wondered if this feature actually worked or not, but there really is no way to test it. Well, now I know it works.

Well.
The following 3 users liked this post by oblio98:
billyt1963 (09-29-2018), kipsy (10-03-2018), MI-RDX (09-29-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I've had the same experience. It nearly put me through the windshield but I guess the greater good was served.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Haven't had it happen with the RDX yet so good to know it does work - definitely not a feature you'd want to go out and test. Did it bring either of your vehicles to a complete stop?

I did have it occur with my '18 Toyota Highlander (guy cut me off and braked hard in order to make a freeway exit ramp ) and agree it's a very weird sensation the first time it happens, the auto braking happened before I could move my foot to the brake pedal.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:33 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I’m glad you got away scott-free, Obli, the new modern safety features are exactly why I bought a new car. Like airbags, this is something you cannot just test on your own, and you just have to trust that the engineers and the manufacturer know what they are doing.

Some guy on the BMW blog swears it saved his life, even though he still had a crash. He was behind a pickup truck on the highway when it suddenly swerved out of the way because a car was stopped in the middle of the highway. Before he could react, the car did some heavy braking and pretensioned the seat belts, and the crash was far milder than it otherwise could have been. When the cops got the traffic stopped, he was able to walk away with no injuries. “I will never buy a car without automatic emergency braking,” he said.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Were any of you in Automatic Cruise Control when this happened, or were you in regular driving mode?
The following 2 users liked this post by romer:
ssacuraho (09-30-2018), Stew4HD (10-03-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I have had my TLX brake when a car slowed up to make a turn suddenly. Most of these systems are not designed to avoid the collision only lessen the impact. I also had my TLX engage the brakes once with nothing in the way while making a turn. That was more scary as the car broke hard and I leaned into the gas to overcome the braking. Never happened again.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:02 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by romer
Were any of you in Automatic Cruise Control when this happened, or were you in regular driving mode?
Normal driving. I have 5000 miles on the car and have yet to try the cruise control! I've never been a CC fan, but I suppose I really should try it at some point.
The following users liked this post:
ssacuraho (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Racer

Mine was normal driving as well, in the city with other vehicles around.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
So whether you're applying the brakes or not, this system will engage? Wow--that's a great feature.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by oblio98
I've never been a CC fan, but I suppose I really should try it at some point.
I use it constantly and recommend it for highway driving. It works well, unlike the lane keeping feature.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
...It works well, unlike the lane keeping feature.
What's the problem with Lane Keeping Assist?

Old 09-30-2018, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Today I was on my way into work, driving in the fast lane in the morning rush when the cars in front of me began to stop like an accordion. Whenever I have to stop quickly on a highway, I always look quickly in my rear view mirror to make sure no one is right on my butt so I can judge how hard I want to hit the brakes if I have room. I usually will ease into them to allow the guy behind me room to stop.

WELL - that's ain't happening anymore. Even though I had good distance between me and the car in front that was stopping, and I eased into the brake pedal to slow the car down, the RDX hit the brakes - hard. It was the strangest feeling I've ever had in a car. My foot was easing into the brakes but the car went into almost full stop. Of course, the guy behind me who was following too closely slammed on his brakes and turned into the breakdown lane so he had more room to stop. No accidents occurred fore or aft, but it was a real eye-opener I have to say.

I always wondered if this feature actually worked or not, but there really is no way to test it. Well, now I know it works.

Well.
You should change the distance for the Forward Collision Warning Distance that controls the CMBS system to Short distance . By default it is set too Long . Change it in the infotainment settings and you will not have this problem

Last edited by dcmod; 09-30-2018 at 03:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dcmod:
Curious3GTL (10-02-2018), oblio98 (10-01-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 08:44 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
DCMOD,

Your suggestion is for the alert not the actual distance to brake.

f you have the LKAS and ACC enabled you should change the distance for the car length to follow. Also of you have enabled them they will kick in to mitigate the accident. Since we have so much construction in our city on all the freeways I have it turned off. However, I was driving with them on when I first purchased the RDX and it slammed on the brakes because I had three car lenghts set. When it slams on the brakes it does it with force and will hoist you onto the steering wheel if you are prepared. At least I know it works but since our lanes and the lines are changing it is too risky for me to run with this enabled at this time. It also happened to me on the freeway one morning and that is why I leave it off unless I use ACC while in traffic coming home.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
DCMOD,

f you have the LKAS and ACC enabled you should change the distance for the car length to follow. Also of you have enabled them they will kick in to mitigate the accident. Since we have so much construction in our city on all the freeways I have it turned off. However, I was driving with them on when I first purchased the RDX and it slammed on the brakes because I had three car lenghts set. When it slams on the brakes it does it with force and will hoist you onto the steering wheel if you are prepared. At least I know it works but since our lanes and the lines are changing it is too risky for me to run with this enabled at this time. It also happened to me on the freeway one morning and that is why I leave it off unless I use ACC while in traffic coming home.
I disagree ... thats the whole point to make the alerts come longer or shortened the distance , so you can adjust when the CMBS starts to run its process

When it alerts I believe the CMBS will start to brake so the longer or shorter the distance to get the alerts as in Phase 1 and then Phase 2 ,, the longer the Phase 3 will kick in which is the braking assist
In Phase 4, it clearly says Heads up warning TIMING depends on the CMBS distance settings .. so YES , you adjust the TIMING from that settings
Read the charts

Last edited by dcmod; 10-03-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
DCMOD,

Hou-RL,

Your suggestion if you have LKAS and ACC enabled is not related to CMBS , because CMBS is independent to LKAS and ACC , as long as you do not turn CMBS off .
Old 10-03-2018, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 51 Posts
Interesting to note that the OP was stepping on the brakes, and it applied them harder. In my Jeep GC that I just traded in for this RDX, if you were stepping on the brakes lightly, it defeated the automatic braking all together. Seems odd, but that car was built in 2014, I'm sure technology has advanced a tad since then.

I will state my wife and I were prone to disabling this...as a few times on the highway, around a slight bend, traveling at 70MPH, passing a semi, the system would go into its panic stop. Hopefully this setup is much better than that one.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:15 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by SVTour
Interesting to note that the OP was stepping on the brakes, and it applied them harder. In my Jeep GC that I just traded in for this RDX, if you were stepping on the brakes lightly, it defeated the automatic braking all together. Seems odd, but that car was built in 2014, I'm sure technology has advanced a tad since then.

I will state my wife and I were prone to disabling this...as a few times on the highway, around a slight bend, traveling at 70MPH, passing a semi, the system would go into its panic stop. Hopefully this setup is much better than that one.
That was me. I was applying the brakes. The tone of this thread has turned to appear that I was not happy that the brakes were applied. On the contrary, I thought it was great. And now I know they work. This car stopped pretty damn fast, which is good to know, and as far as the jerk behind me, well F Him. I would rather get hit from behind than hit someone else from behind, because as we all know, the guy who hits someone from behind is always in the wrong, gets the ticket, and the jacked up insurance rates.
The following users liked this post:
oz13ms (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
That was me. I was applying the brakes. The tone of this thread has turned to appear that I was not happy that the brakes were applied. On the contrary, I thought it was great. And now I know they work. This car stopped pretty damn fast, which is good to know, and as far as the jerk behind me, well F Him. I would rather get hit from behind than hit someone else from behind, because as we all know, the guy who hits someone from behind is always in the wrong, gets the ticket, and the jacked up insurance rates.
I get ya.

I want to stop when needed, let the Devil take the hindmost.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:47 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmod
Hou-RL,

Your suggestion if you have LKAS and ACC enabled is not related to CMBS , because CMBS is independent to LKAS and ACC , as long as you do not turn CMBS off .
So mine is set to default and I changed it short but didnt notice a difference yet. Will check again tomorrow AM. Seems the distance is still the same as earlier today. Guess I will experiement further to see what makes the distance change. Since i turned off ACC and reduced car lengfh there is no more slamming on the brakes. I wonder what that explanation is if it isnt set in ACC distance. Keep in mind I am not driving with ACC unless in traffic.