Winter wheels and tires package

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 10:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Winter wheels and tires package

Did anybody here get winter wheels and tires package from the Tire Rack or anywhere else, if yes what size/brand did you get, and are you happy with it? Pictures would be great!
I was also wondering, if 17” rim is the smallest size for our cars to clear the brake calipers. I think anything smaller than 17” would look ridiculous on RDX anyway. Thanks and I’m sorry if it was already discussed.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:09 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My salesperson strongly not recommend the winter tier, she said I can easily drive in the snow with SH-AWD. And she said it is a waste of money on the snow tire.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:17 PM
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wu
My salesperson strongly not recommend the winter tier, she said I can easily drive in the snow with SH-AWD. And she said it is a waste of money on the snow tire.
That salesperson is missing an important fact about ANY AWD system. AWD systems don’t help you stop. The type of tire is what matters for stopping distance on slippery roads. Yes SH-AWD will help get you going with ALL seasons but again it won’t help with stopping.
The following users liked this post:
Jopa (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 12:18 PM
9th Gear

That is true!
Old 10-27-2018, 12:22 PM
9th Gear

Talking

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1

That salesperson is missing an important fact about ANY AWD system. AWD systems don’t help you stop. The type of tire is what matters for stopping distance on slippery roads. Yes SH-AWD will help get you going with ALL seasons but again it won’t help with stopping.
This is a good example!
Jopa (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 03:23 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I have snow tires on both my vehicles and it makes all the difference in snow.
Jopa (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

Sorry to hear that you had a salesperson who doesn’t know what she’s talking about.
Who knows anything about winter driving, knows how important winter tires are, no matter AWD or FWD.
Thanks for great video, Zack Spencer is one the best on YouTube.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:09 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
As a retired guy in a suburban town with excellent services, I can get away with all seasons. If I had to be out, snows are absolutely the way to go.
DHood (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 05:39 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
As a retired guy in a suburban town with excellent services, I can get away with all seasons. If I had to be out, snows are absolutely the way to go.
yeah now that my kids are both in school I don’t really need to drive anywhere in the winter - there’s no school! lol
Old 10-27-2018, 09:48 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Jopa
Did anybody here get winter wheels and tires package from the Tire Rack or anywhere else, if yes what size/brand did you get, and are you happy with it? Pictures would be great!
I was also wondering, if 17” rim is the smallest size for our cars to clear the brake calipers. I think anything smaller than 17” would look ridiculous on RDX anyway. Thanks and I’m sorry if it was already discussed.

Smaller than 17" won't fit. I test fit a 17" 1st-gen MDX wheel and it barely cleared the cable for the parking brake.

I set up 18" 2nd-gen RDX wheels with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV winter tires and OEM TPMS sensors. Now I'm waiting to see if winter has been cancelled for this year ( again ). Most of my XC skis still have storage wax on them from two years ago.

I purchased the wheels used/refinished, NOT new. Much less costly that way, and winter is hard on wheels anyway. I recommend painted aluminum wheels with no shiny machined and clear-coated surfaces. The clear coat is the first thing to go.

I have been known to drive TO the snow, but my on-snow time is enhanced if the weather will cooperate close to home. Wet spring snow that instantly melts and creates a mess is not acceptable.

On previous vehicles I have run Bridgestone Blizzaks and Hakka R2 SUV tires, with good results. The Blizzaks are especially good on ice.

Last edited by Wander; 10-27-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Jopa (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:37 PM
9th Gear

Sorry to hear that you had a salesperson who doesn’t know what she’s talking about.
Who knows anything about winter driving, knows how important winter tires are, no matter AWD or FWD.
Thanks for great video, Zack Spencer is one the best on YouTube.
Yeah, therefore, I would probably buy a set of winter tires. But I don't know where to begin with...
IDK which tires would be the best tires for RDX for the best money out of my pocket.
Any suggestion?
Old 10-28-2018, 06:13 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Madd Dog, I am fortunate to be in the same position and can stay home when it is bad. 👍
Madd Dog (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 08:47 AM
Intermediate

Yeah, therefore, I would probably buy a set of winter tires. But I don't know where to begin with...
IDK which tires would be the best tires for RDX for the best money out of my pocket.
Any suggestion?
If you’re willing to spend just around $100 more than average on the set, and want quality quiet and good on ice and overall winter tires, get Michelin, Bridgestone or Nokian. (Nokian may be a little more expensive and harder to find)
If you want to spend a little less and still get good tires that are great in deep snow, but could be a little noisy, get General Altimax.
I’m only mentioning those brands that I had on my cars, and still have on my daughter’s cars.
If you’re okay with swapping them in your garage or on your driveway, the Tire Rack is way to go. At Tiere Rack you get them mounted with TPMS seniors, balanced and shipped to your address. I would never choose an option to mount winter tires on my original factory rims.
From the Tire Rack you should be able to get all that, at your front door for around $1,200 +/- depending on size or brand.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:06 AM
9th Gear

That is very helpful, thanks! Michelin would be my choice.
I think I will get the tires from Discount Tires, my friends recommand then, what do you think?
Old 10-28-2018, 11:09 AM
9th Gear

If you’re willing to spend just around $100 more than average on the set, and want quality quiet and good on ice and overall winter tires, get Michelin, Bridgestone or Nokian. (Nokian may be a little more expensive and harder to find)
If you want to spend a little less and still get good tires that are great in deep snow, but could be a little noisy, get General Altimax.
I’m only mentioning those brands that I had on my cars, and still have on my daughter’s cars.
If you’re okay with swapping them in your garage or on your driveway, the Tire Rack is way to go. At Tiere Rack you get them mounted with TPMS seniors, balanced and shipped to your address. I would never choose an option to mount winter tires on my original factory rims.
From the Tire Rack you should be able to get all that, at your front door for around $1,200 +/- depending on size or brand.
Oh, my bad, forgot to quote you in the previous one.thx again!
Old 10-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

I think I will get the tires from Discount Tires, my friends recommand then, what do you think?
That’s great choice, you can’t go wrong with Michelin x-ice
Old 10-28-2018, 11:53 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
I get my tires from my local Discount Tire store, including winter tires. They are easy to work with, and if you have any problem with tires you purchase from them, their return policy is stellar ( and I just love that classic commercial ).