AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Windshield Washer Jets Freeze - Major Safety Issue (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/windshield-washer-jets-freeze-major-safety-issue-976815/)

Eric Warren 01-30-2019 10:37 AM

Windshield Washer Jets Freeze - Major Safety Issue

Anyone else have this issue?
Anything below 30 degrees F seems to cause the jets to freeze.
Of course, this is not safe...especially when roads are salty.

Would appreciate ideas for a fix?
I have the 2019 A-spec

thanks

spinedoc777 01-30-2019 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Warren (Post 16374158)
Anyone else have this issue?
Anything below 30 degrees F seems to cause the jets to freeze.
Of course, this is not safe...especially when roads are salty.

Would appreciate ideas for a fix?
I have the 2019 A-spec

thanks

Mine were working ok this morning, it was about 18 degrees. My wipers were partially frozen though. I read in the owners manual that some models get heated wipers, let me guess just the Canadian models?

Tom2 01-30-2019 11:06 AM

Are you sure someone didn't put water in the windshield washer reservoir?

JustMe... 01-30-2019 11:09 AM

It's the washer fluid that is freezing. It is not vehicle related. As someone mentioned, did you add water to the reservoir?

Steve1966 01-30-2019 11:12 AM

I've had my 2019 RDX w/Tech pkg down into the single digits for many days without any issues. In fact, I just got back from a 4 day ski trip to Vermont and the wipers/jets worked great. I suspect someone filled your washer reservoir with something other than winter-ready washer fluid.

Eric Warren 01-30-2019 11:14 AM

I brought it in for the first service a few months ago...
maybe the Acura place used low quality fluid or water?
I'll have it drained and refilled with good stuff.
relieved it isn't a design issue.

Meto 01-30-2019 11:15 AM

Mine have frozen up a few times now and I always use washer fluid that is supposed to work below freezing.

zroger73 01-30-2019 11:33 AM

There are different formulas of windshield washer fluid that protect to different temperatures.

Rain-X, for example, has multiple formulas good to either 32°F, 0°F, or -25°F.

Honda's windshield washer tablets yield a formula good only to 32°F. Honda's concentrated windshield washer cleaner and anti-freeze is good to various temperatures depending on how much water you dilute it with.

If you don't know what's in the reservoir, empty it and refill it with an appropriate washer fluid for the temperatures you expect to encounter and run the washers for several seconds to flush out the unknown fluid.

flames9 01-30-2019 11:35 AM

I Just use the winter stuff all year round....saves the hassle of emptying them in the Fall......

zroger73 01-30-2019 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by flames9 (Post 16374212)
I Just use the winter stuff all year round....saves the hassle of emptying them in the Fall......

Same here. Specifically, I use Rain-X All Season which is good to 0°F. It keeps the water beading up. I can't remember the last time it got below the teens where I'm at and one gallon of washer fluid will last me a year.

MI-RDX 01-30-2019 02:10 PM

A word a caution when selecting the washer fluid. Check the label carefully - I've seen some stuff labeled as being "good for temperatures to -20°" with the words 'below freezing' in very small type. That's a bit different from an actual temperature of -20°.

FWIW I was out in -2°F and mine worked without a problem.

Jopa 01-30-2019 06:13 PM

I was wondering if 2019 RDX is equipped with heated washer jets.
My 2010 VW Golf base is equipped with heated washer jets, and that was $20,000 new.
If that’s the case, your heaters my not be working properly.

zroger73 01-30-2019 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jopa (Post 16374522)
I was wondering if 2019 RDX is equipped with heated washer jets.
My 2010 VW Golf base is equipped with heated washer jets, and that was $20,000 new.
If that’s the case, your heaters my not be working properly.

Honda doesn't offer heated washer nozzles on any brand or model in the US or Canada.

Canadian RDX's have a heated windshield wiper area, though.

Dereileak 01-30-2019 07:47 PM

I run the coldest rated stuff all year, -20 although I think I have seen lower like -35. Well I havnt had any issues with mine that I refilled down to about -10 degrees, but today it was -29f before windchill and mine finally did freeze, but I can’t complain really, was in the -60f with windchill. Gotta love this Minnesota crap

RDX10 01-30-2019 08:22 PM

Something to be careful of as well is that if you use the wrong temp fluid it can freeze in the pipe that goes to the rear and cause it to split. That is a very expensive repair fyi....:facepalm:

NooYawkuh 01-30-2019 09:10 PM

Can't blame the vehicle for washer fluid freezing. I use Rain-X; I think it's the orange stuff (not the pink). Never had a problem but it rarely goes below 0 deg. F here.

HotRodW 01-30-2019 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh (Post 16374594)
Can't blame the vehicle for washer fluid freezing. I use Rain-X; I think it's the orange stuff (not the pink). Never had a problem but it rarely goes below 0 deg. F here.

If the RDX has a washer fluid sensor, using Rain-X might not be a good idea. It's been known to damage reservoir sensors. Best to play it safe and choose a silicone-free washer fluid. You can always treat the windshield itself with traditional Rain-X sealant.

DHood 01-31-2019 06:06 AM

Canadian Models

Originally Posted by spinedoc777 (Post 16374181)
Mine were working ok this morning, it was about 18 degrees. My wipers were partially frozen though. I read in the owners manual that some models get heated wipers, let me guess just the Canadian models?

Yes, I have the Wipers Heated. The spot where they sit in "rest position" is heated.

zroger73 01-31-2019 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by HotRodW (Post 16374604)
If the RDX has a washer fluid sensor, using Rain-X might not be a good idea. It's been known to damage reservoir sensors. Best to play it safe and choose a silicone-free washer fluid. You can always treat the windshield itself with traditional Rain-X sealant.

Some vehicles detect low washer fluid level by passing a small current through two probes at the bottom of the tank. If this current is passing from one probe to another, no warning is displayed. If the washer fluid level falls below the depth of the probes, no current passes through the fluid and the low washer fluid warning is displayed. Some washer fluids can cote the probes with a non-conductive substance which prevents current from passing between then and you get a persistent low washer fluid warning until the sensor is replaced or cleaned.

Most vehicles - including the Canadian RDX - use a float type sensor. There's a magnet inside a sealed, plastic float that rises with the fluid level. Beside the magnetic float is a reed switch, which is also a sealed device. The liquid level causes the magnetic float to move which activates the reed switch which is used to determine when the washer fluid level is low. This type of fluid level sensor has no exposed electrical probes to become contaminated.

I've been using Rain-X windshield washer fluid since at least the 1990's in nearly two dozen vehicles and never had a problem with a washer fluid system, but I do enjoy the beading effect it provides on my windshield.

Wander 02-03-2019 12:07 AM

Most winter washer fluids are different concentrations of methanol in water, with some dye added to make it pretty and let you know it's not water.

-20°F or -25°F "blue" formulations are typical in the north. Methanol may damage paint and will definitely strip wax, so be careful if you try to DIY.

-30°F is pushing it for any commercial formulation. There are some that add low concentrations of ethylene glycol ( anti-freeze ), along with the methanol. At least one of them gets purple "royalty" dye so you know it's special ( and more expensive ). That claims a -35°F rating.

If the stuff is freezing in the nozzle, it will freeze on the windshield, especially if you're moving. The stuff will freeze on the windshield at temperatures far above its "rating" when you're moving because the more volatile methanol will evaporate off in the breeze and leave the water frozen on the windshield. I hate that. Crank the defroster vents to heat up the windshield as much as possible.

Back in the day, the parking lot at MSP airport had little poles with electric outlets at every parking stall, for the electric "block heaters" in the cars. Cars are generally easier to start these days, but a bit of heat under the hood can't hurt. One alternative is an old-school "trouble light" with an incandescent bulb, strategically placed under the engine. But if you forget it and drive off, you'll be dangling a tail. :facepalm:

Fortunately, the polar vortex has returned to its rightful home. For now.

Wander 02-03-2019 12:33 AM

BTW, do NOT put a little charcoal grill under your engine to make it nice and toasty. Someone tried that recently, and it didn't go well. :whyme:

Midnight Mystery 02-03-2019 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wander (Post 16376319)
BTW, do NOT put a little charcoal grill under your engine to make it nice and toasty. Someone tried that recently, and it didn't go well. :whyme:

:popcorn: Please explain!

NooYawkuh 02-04-2019 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Wander (Post 16376319)

Don't use one in your basement either.
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...tic-1.17496047

Wander 02-04-2019 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16376330)
:popcorn: Please explain!

https://www.firehouse.com/prevention...haw-out-engine

Not me!

Midnight Mystery 02-04-2019 12:01 PM

:rofl: Had to read that first one really well because I lived in a town with the same name...

Putting charcpal under a car? Does that even work?

Oh... And WHY? :confused:

Wander 02-04-2019 12:12 PM

The idea is valid. The implementation is flawed. Warming the engine via the coolant is safe and effective.

Having said that, I haven't used a block heater since I emigrated from MN decades ago.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...8387a626c8.jpg

jon33 02-05-2019 10:00 AM

Happened to me and had to stop at gas station to buy winter windshield washer. I had washer fluid from dealer ship cant believe they sold the car with regular summer wind shield washer.

bluntman72 02-05-2019 11:17 AM

For those who don't want to worry about changing the type of windshield washer fluid to match the conditions, there is always this:

https://www.amazon.com/Alphatherm-AT-38OD-Windshield-Washer-Heater/dp/B0034GW1WW

http://www.alphathermusa.com/

SVTour 02-07-2019 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Warren (Post 16374200)
I brought it in for the first service a few months ago...
maybe the Acura place used low quality fluid or water?
I'll have it drained and refilled with good stuff.
relieved it isn't a design issue.

Had this happen to me first cold day...thinking this was it. Flushed it out, put in some of my own shit and it's been fine since.

Wander 02-07-2019 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by SVTour (Post 16379441)
put in some of my own shit and it's been fine since.

Ewww. Messy!

JustAnotherOne 05-12-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by zroger73 (Post 16374678)
Some vehicles detect low washer fluid level by passing a small current through two probes at the bottom of the tank. If this current is passing from one probe to another, no warning is displayed. If the washer fluid level falls below the depth of the probes, no current passes through the fluid and the low washer fluid warning is displayed. Some washer fluids can cote the probes with a non-conductive substance which prevents current from passing between then and you get a persistent low washer fluid warning until the sensor is replaced or cleaned.

Most vehicles - including the Canadian RDX - use a float type sensor. There's a magnet inside a sealed, plastic float that rises with the fluid level. Beside the magnetic float is a reed switch, which is also a sealed device. The liquid level causes the magnetic float to move which activates the reed switch which is used to determine when the washer fluid level is low. This type of fluid level sensor has no exposed electrical probes to become contaminated.

I've been using Rain-X windshield washer fluid since at least the 1990's in nearly two dozen vehicles and never had a problem with a washer fluid system, but I do enjoy the beading effect it provides on my windshield.

I don't think US model has a sensor for windshield washer fluid. So any product appropriate for the tempratures should be fine. I have refilled with rainx all season as winter temperatures do not fall below 0 F where I live. Mine is US model.

Wander 05-12-2019 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by JustAnotherOne (Post 16425074)
I don't think US model has a sensor for windshield washer fluid. So any product appropriate for the tempratures should be fine. I have refilled with rainx all season as winter temperatures do not fall below 0 F where I live. Mine is US model.

RainX makes a version of washer fluid rated to -25°F. But that may be easier to find in the northern USA, or Canada, eh.