Notices

Windshield chips

Old 06-02-2019, 07:59 AM
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E

Received 146 Likes on 90 Posts
^ That would be a first. I've had five Hondas - a CR-V, two Ridgelines, an Accord, and an RDX with Honda Sensing/AcuraWatch and I find the LKAS to be a useless novelty at best. On every one of these vehicles, it weaves from one edge of the lane to the other often triggering the lane/road departure warning and loses track of the lane markings. At other times, it fights my minor steering corrections to keep the vehicle properly centered in the lane.

The only value I've ever got from it is on straight roads with fresh black asphalt and fresh white/yellow lane markings, it will maintain the lane long enough for me to sneeze and grab a tissue without me driving off a cliff due to allergies.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Itís not autopilot by any means, but it definitely feels better since the recalibration.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
I find the LKAS to be a useless novelty at best.
Concur completely. Nothing hurts worse than having the price of a vehicle jacked up thousands by technology that doesn't work. Also note the way the dealership rationalizes the poor LKAS performance by saying it is "just an assist", i.e. not meant to take over completely. It takes me back to my younger days when I was learning to drive. I can't imagine how my teacher would have reacted if I would periodically let go of the wheel, expecting him to interject whenever I felt like it. 100% cop out IMO, but hey, someone has to beta test this technology.
The following users liked this post:
zroger73 (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts
The LKAS works great for me, I can literally let go of the wheel and it will take roads curving and straight roads without issues, doesnít really bounce around at all, Sits nicely in the middle
Old 06-03-2019, 10:56 AM
ceb
Registered Member

Received 1,179 Likes on 878 Posts
Although my car doesn't have LKAS, I've driven multiple Acuras with LKAS on long stretches (whenever I go for a service, I schedule it for a day when my job takes me to a place about 70 miles on the other side of the dealer.) I'm in a loaner (ILX, RDX, TLX) for at least 150 miles each time and usually the same stretch of road.

I've noticed a great variation in how well LKAS works - even on the identical cars. One day, I had an ILX loaner, returned it, drove off in my car, found an issue with that so dropped it off the next morning and got a different ILX. LKAS on the first one was awful, but spot on (with the exception of one turn) with the second.

The techs told me that the alignment is finicky but necessary even on new cars.
The following users liked this post:
DrWoo (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
has anyone tried using nano coating on the windshield? I see all this 9H liquid stuff which looks it combines rain-x and a screen protector-like properties.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:30 PM
ceb
Registered Member

Received 1,179 Likes on 878 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict View Post
has anyone tried using nano coating on the windshield? I see all this 9H liquid stuff which looks it combines rain-x and a screen protector-like properties.
I have Opti-Coat on the windows and it certainly helps with rain/snow, but it won't do squat for chips.

There are PPF like products for glass, but they do scratch and are more expensive than buying new glass periodically.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurdt View Post
​​​​​​​Hello everyone, new member here. I just purchased a 2019 RDX A-Spec in White for my wife. The car is gorgeous and so far I'm really liking it.

However, as I was driving it home from the dealership, a rock or something hit the windshield and put a serious chip in it as I was driving down the interstate. I was so pissed to deliver this brand new RDX to my wife with an already chipped windshield.

I am wondering if any of you have seen chips/cracks in your windshield more often than you have on other vehicles? The reason I ask is because I rarely had this problem with any of the vehicles I've owned until my 2015 Mustang GT and now this RDX. I've been through 2 windshields already on that Mustang. It has "Soundscreen" which is supposed to make it quieter but I've heard may also make it more prone to chips. I've heard the same complaint from a lot of Jeep owners as well.
Just wondering if this will be an issue going forward or if it is just a stroke of bad luck.
Hello, Iím very new here but was looking to see if anyone has had the same issues as me. I have never had a windshield crack as easily as in my 2019 RDX (ASPEC). The night I was bringing it home from the dealership I got a GIANT crack (see pic below, it was the bigger one on the bottom), that now goes all the way to the top of the windshield and is almost to the where the camera sits. I also just got another new giant crack above it tonight. You can feel the new crack on the inside of the glass.

Iíve also received several small chips while driving inside a city driving 60 km/hr. Have never had this happen in another vehicle before.

Just wanted to let you know you arenít the only one that thinks there might be an issue with it.

Also Iíve been told through my local Acura dealership that the windshields are on backorder.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2000 Nisan Maxima ( 420k km) had only 1 very small chip. Windshield was damaged accidently from inside and replaced with a 3rd party product about year ago. New windshield has about 5 chips and a 4" crack.
Old Today, 04:59 AM
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
^ That would be a first. I've had five Hondas - a CR-V, two Ridgelines, an Accord, and an RDX with Honda Sensing/AcuraWatch and I find the LKAS to be a useless novelty at best. On every one of these vehicles, it weaves from one edge of the lane to the other often triggering the lane/road departure warning and loses track of the lane markings. At other times, it fights my minor steering corrections to keep the vehicle properly centered in the lane.

The only value I've ever got from it is on straight roads with fresh black asphalt and fresh white/yellow lane markings, it will maintain the lane long enough for me to sneeze and grab a tissue without me driving off a cliff due to allergies.
I find that the LKAS makes long trips much more relaxing, especially on interstates. Both my Ridgeline and the RDX work well with minimal weaving. Itís not an auto pilot to be sure but a nice safety and convenience feature Iím happy with.
Old Today, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by beanied View Post
Hello, Iím very new here but was looking to see if anyone has had the same issues as me. I have never had a windshield crack as easily as in my 2019 RDX (ASPEC). The night I was bringing it home from the dealership I got a GIANT crack (see pic below, it was the bigger one on the bottom), that now goes all the way to the top of the windshield and is almost to the where the camera sits. I also just got another new giant crack above it tonight. You can feel the new crack on the inside of the glass.

Iíve also received several small chips while driving inside a city driving 60 km/hr. Have never had this happen in another vehicle before.

Just wanted to let you know you arenít the only one that thinks there might be an issue with it.

Also Iíve been told through my local Acura dealership that the windshields are on backorder.
This is exactly how mine cracked and it did it with nothing hitting the windshield. Acura refused to replace it, so I had to file it with my insurance. Just a side note, Acura will want you to pay up front and get a check from your insurance company. I just went to Safelight and let my insurance pay for the windshield replacement and the calibration and they did a great job. I no longer get crazy errors with my system.