Windshield chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:59 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
^ That would be a first. I've had five Hondas - a CR-V, two Ridgelines, an Accord, and an RDX with Honda Sensing/AcuraWatch and I find the LKAS to be a useless novelty at best. On every one of these vehicles, it weaves from one edge of the lane to the other often triggering the lane/road departure warning and loses track of the lane markings. At other times, it fights my minor steering corrections to keep the vehicle properly centered in the lane.

The only value I've ever got from it is on straight roads with fresh black asphalt and fresh white/yellow lane markings, it will maintain the lane long enough for me to sneeze and grab a tissue without me driving off a cliff due to allergies.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:20 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
It’s not autopilot by any means, but it definitely feels better since the recalibration.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
I find the LKAS to be a useless novelty at best.
Concur completely. Nothing hurts worse than having the price of a vehicle jacked up thousands by technology that doesn't work. Also note the way the dealership rationalizes the poor LKAS performance by saying it is "just an assist", i.e. not meant to take over completely. It takes me back to my younger days when I was learning to drive. I can't imagine how my teacher would have reacted if I would periodically let go of the wheel, expecting him to interject whenever I felt like it. 100% cop out IMO, but hey, someone has to beta test this technology.
The following users liked this post:
zroger73 (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 11:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
The LKAS works great for me, I can literally let go of the wheel and it will take roads curving and straight roads without issues, doesn’t really bounce around at all, Sits nicely in the middle
wsw (02-21-2020)
Old 06-03-2019, 10:56 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Although my car doesn't have LKAS, I've driven multiple Acuras with LKAS on long stretches (whenever I go for a service, I schedule it for a day when my job takes me to a place about 70 miles on the other side of the dealer.) I'm in a loaner (ILX, RDX, TLX) for at least 150 miles each time and usually the same stretch of road.

I've noticed a great variation in how well LKAS works - even on the identical cars. One day, I had an ILX loaner, returned it, drove off in my car, found an issue with that so dropped it off the next morning and got a different ILX. LKAS on the first one was awful, but spot on (with the exception of one turn) with the second.

The techs told me that the alignment is finicky but necessary even on new cars.
DrWoo (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
has anyone tried using nano coating on the windshield? I see all this 9H liquid stuff which looks it combines rain-x and a screen protector-like properties.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:30 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict
has anyone tried using nano coating on the windshield? I see all this 9H liquid stuff which looks it combines rain-x and a screen protector-like properties.
I have Opti-Coat on the windows and it certainly helps with rain/snow, but it won't do squat for chips.

There are PPF like products for glass, but they do scratch and are more expensive than buying new glass periodically.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurdt
​​​​​​​Hello everyone, new member here. I just purchased a 2019 RDX A-Spec in White for my wife. The car is gorgeous and so far I'm really liking it.

However, as I was driving it home from the dealership, a rock or something hit the windshield and put a serious chip in it as I was driving down the interstate. I was so pissed to deliver this brand new RDX to my wife with an already chipped windshield.

I am wondering if any of you have seen chips/cracks in your windshield more often than you have on other vehicles? The reason I ask is because I rarely had this problem with any of the vehicles I've owned until my 2015 Mustang GT and now this RDX. I've been through 2 windshields already on that Mustang. It has "Soundscreen" which is supposed to make it quieter but I've heard may also make it more prone to chips. I've heard the same complaint from a lot of Jeep owners as well.
Just wondering if this will be an issue going forward or if it is just a stroke of bad luck.
Hello, I’m very new here but was looking to see if anyone has had the same issues as me. I have never had a windshield crack as easily as in my 2019 RDX (ASPEC). The night I was bringing it home from the dealership I got a GIANT crack (see pic below, it was the bigger one on the bottom), that now goes all the way to the top of the windshield and is almost to the where the camera sits. I also just got another new giant crack above it tonight. You can feel the new crack on the inside of the glass.

I’ve also received several small chips while driving inside a city driving 60 km/hr. Have never had this happen in another vehicle before.

Just wanted to let you know you aren’t the only one that thinks there might be an issue with it.

Also I’ve been told through my local Acura dealership that the windshields are on backorder.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2000 Nisan Maxima ( 420k km) had only 1 very small chip. Windshield was damaged accidently from inside and replaced with a 3rd party product about year ago. New windshield has about 5 chips and a 4" crack.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:59 AM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
^ That would be a first. I've had five Hondas - a CR-V, two Ridgelines, an Accord, and an RDX with Honda Sensing/AcuraWatch and I find the LKAS to be a useless novelty at best. On every one of these vehicles, it weaves from one edge of the lane to the other often triggering the lane/road departure warning and loses track of the lane markings. At other times, it fights my minor steering corrections to keep the vehicle properly centered in the lane.

The only value I've ever got from it is on straight roads with fresh black asphalt and fresh white/yellow lane markings, it will maintain the lane long enough for me to sneeze and grab a tissue without me driving off a cliff due to allergies.
I find that the LKAS makes long trips much more relaxing, especially on interstates. Both my Ridgeline and the RDX work well with minimal weaving. It’s not an auto pilot to be sure but a nice safety and convenience feature I’m happy with.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:56 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by beanied
Hello, I’m very new here but was looking to see if anyone has had the same issues as me. I have never had a windshield crack as easily as in my 2019 RDX (ASPEC). The night I was bringing it home from the dealership I got a GIANT crack (see pic below, it was the bigger one on the bottom), that now goes all the way to the top of the windshield and is almost to the where the camera sits. I also just got another new giant crack above it tonight. You can feel the new crack on the inside of the glass.

I’ve also received several small chips while driving inside a city driving 60 km/hr. Have never had this happen in another vehicle before.

Just wanted to let you know you aren’t the only one that thinks there might be an issue with it.

Also I’ve been told through my local Acura dealership that the windshields are on backorder.
This is exactly how mine cracked and it did it with nothing hitting the windshield. Acura refused to replace it, so I had to file it with my insurance. Just a side note, Acura will want you to pay up front and get a check from your insurance company. I just went to Safelight and let my insurance pay for the windshield replacement and the calibration and they did a great job. I no longer get crazy errors with my system.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
This is a good article from Popular Mechanics on repairing windshield chips:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...paign=17332638
Old 06-29-2019, 04:46 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
I had an eight inch crack appear on my windshield last week. My wife had heard an impact a few days before, but neither of us could find any damage at the time. According to the guy from the glass company, these pebble impacts can invisibly weaken the windshield, which then cracks because of large temperature changes.

They also said there are no non-oem windshields made for the 2019+ RDX at this time.

Two different dealers told me they don’t do windshield replacements. Both told me to get it done at JN Phillips and then bring the car to them for the sensor alignment.

The first attempt at replacement was aborted because the new windshield didn’t come with a required gasket that’s unique to Honda/Acura. Waiting for that part now. My insurance company said it’s all covered 100%, including the alignment, though I may be out of pocket for that and have to request reimbursement.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by tangible
I had an eight inch crack appear on my windshield last week. My wife had heard an impact a few days before, but neither of us could find any damage at the time. According to the guy from the glass company, these pebble impacts can invisibly weaken the windshield, which then cracks because of large temperature changes.
This is totally off-topic, but it's one of my pet peeves. This sounds like something the guy at the glass company just made up. Like everyone thinks "oh, this guy works at a glass company, so he must be an expert on glass. He probably has studied every aspect of glass for years." Meanwhile, no offense to anyone who works for glass companies, but he's probably a high school graduate who just received some minimal on-the-job training at what he needed to do. It's like thinking a plumber understands the chemical process of lead scaling in pipes just because he works on the physical pipes. I'll go into an Auto Zone and be asking the employee about whether a particular cleaning chemical will damage the clear coat of my car and while he's telling me "the answer," I'm thinking "wait ...why would he know that?" Like he's studied every product in the store and has looked over tests and studies on each one? On YouTube there are very popular channels where detailers discuss chemicals and whether they affect the paint on cars and they all seem very knowledgeable. But you realize that these are detailers. You think they did trials where they subject body panels to 10,000 washes and then somehow measured the impact on every layer of paint? No, all they did was hazard a random guess.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:08 AM
Instructor

@DriverOne I understand your point, but I disagree.

I’ve had the opportunity to run organizations with large direct labor forces. Those of us in management developed deep respect for the opinions of the guys on the line, whose practical experience sometimes offered a dose of reality that was an important counterpoint to the theoretical expertise of their superiors.

In this particular case, the installer was speaking from his own experience. I doubt he has a degree like this one in the subject (https://www.alfred.edu/academics/gra...ss-science.cfm) , but he wasn’t offering an explanation of the science behind his real-world observation. I took it for what it’s worth.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:56 AM
Banned

I’ve had the opportunity to run organizations with large direct labor forces. Those of us in management developed deep respect for the opinions of the guys on the line, whose practical experience sometimes offered a dose of reality that was an important counterpoint to the theoretical expertise of their superiors.
Oh, don't get me wrong. Practical experience is almost always more important to me than theoretical knowledge. There are lots of people who are running around with degrees and certifications and they know less from a real-world standpoint than random schlubs who have a few years of experience under their belt. But that's in terms of their actual job. For example, if I had a windshield installer, I would listen to that guy on how to install the windshield the right way over some supervisor who came up with some "great new idea" on how it should be done when they were sitting around not installing windshields.

But on the other hand, because someone works with windshields (glass) all day for their job, a lot of people tend to subconsciously attribute knowledge to them that they don't have. He can tell you what kinds of cracks progress, how to fill them, which you should fill, how to size windshields, and so on. But if you start asking him about the properties of the glass or what maximum force is needed to damage glass or even something like what is "acoustic glass," odds are he'll just be making stuff up and shoveling it.

I was going through this recently when I was trying to find information on cleaning bug splatter from my car. If you look online, everyone has an opinion on it. Most people try to sound "scientific" or knowledgeable by starting out with the statement that bugs are acidic and therefore they "etch into your clear coat." Now they may be acidic - although nobody actually cited where that information came from and nobody quantified it in any meaningful way - and acids may etch clear coat. But from that, they all made some really ludicrous statements like "...so you have to remove the bugs within 3 or 4 hours." And then they would go through various techniques, like using a bug sponge (which I had never heard of before) or various bug remover solutions. They would rank the methods in terms of "how much they damage your clear coat." That's preposterous. No detailer knows how much anything damages your clear coat. If I asked them how a bug remover solution chemically interacts with clear coat, they'd be lost. If I asked them what clear coat actually was they wouldn't know. They know how to correct paint by polishing it and they know that better than anyone else, but that's about it. That's what I mean.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Instructor

My windshield finally got replaced today. It’s going to be a few weeks before I can get to a dealer for alignment, so I ask:

Does anyone know for sure what systems, if any, other than LKAS are disabled or diminished in usability prior to the alignment process? ACC, collision avoidance, front view camera, etc.?
Old 07-06-2019, 09:00 AM
Banned

I was on the highway yesterday and this retard who had a widened truck - the kind with two tires on each rear wheel - and no mudflaps pulled in front of me and threw a rock at my windshield. Luckily, no crack. You can't protect your car against imbeciles who have widened trucks or lifted trucks.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:04 AM
Strike Hold

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Rock chips are a fact of life if you actually drive your car. Every car I've had has had chips and cracks. It's a running joke between my friend and me. She thinks windshield glass are incredibly strong to be able to resist rocks at 75 miles an hour. Imagine getting beaned by one. I on the other hand am always disappointed that we don't have glass that can resist chipping as this is so common. My last car, 06 BMW X3, was getting chips so often that I just sealed them myself with a kit from the grocery store.

One thing I've found is that if the chip is near an edge, you have to seal it immediately to prevent a crack from forming and spreading.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
I was on the highway yesterday and this retard who had a widened truck - the kind with two tires on each rear wheel - and no mudflaps pulled in front of me and threw a rock at my windshield. Luckily, no crack. You can't protect your car against imbeciles who have widened trucks or lifted trucks.
I know it sucks when a rock get’s thrown at our cars but remember the truck in front of you didn’t put the rock on the ground.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:20 AM
Banned

I don't blame the guy who putting the rock on the ground. I blame him for not having mudflaps to help decrease the chance of throwing them back at people. That's the actual reason for mudflaps. It's not to prevent splatter onto your car, it's to prevent throwing things onto other peoples' cars. He also kept cutting close in front of cars when he didn't need to. There were a number of cars on the right-hand lane, including myself, and nobody on the left. He did the "courteous" thing, which was that he used the left-hand lane to keep hopping over each of us. But each time he did, he would cut in front of each car and you could see every person hit their brake. So, first of all, he was trying to squeeze in too close; second of all, because of that, he was beaning us all with debris; and third of all, he didn't need to do that, he could have just stayed in the left-hand lane and passed us all. To me, that makes him an imbecile.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DriverOne
I don't blame the guy who putting the rock on the ground. I blame him for not having mudflaps to help decrease the chance of throwing them back at people. That's the actual reason for mudflaps. It's not to prevent splatter onto your car, it's to prevent throwing things onto other peoples' cars. He also kept cutting close in front of cars when he didn't need to. There were a number of cars on the right-hand lane, including myself, and nobody on the left. He did the "courteous" thing, which was that he used the left-hand lane to keep hopping over each of us. But each time he did, he would cut in front of each car and you could see every person hit their brake. So, first of all, he was trying to squeeze in too close; second of all, because of that, he was beaning us all with debris; and third of all, he didn't need to do that, he could have just stayed in the left-hand lane and passed us all. To me, that makes him an imbecile.
Every vehicle should come standard with Mud Guards
zroger73 (07-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by beanied

2020 RDX A-spec here. It sounded like a rock chip and when I looked over, this huge crack was there! I’ve had window chips before in my other vehicles but they never instantly became 6” cracks!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lilgenie

2020 RDX A-spec here. It sounded like a rock chip and when I looked over, this huge crack was there! I’ve had window chips before in my other vehicles but they never instantly became 6” cracks!
I had to have my windshield repaired on the first crack and then totally replaced after the second
Driven01 (10-17-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Long cracks are repairable today. Get the right person working the resin and you won't even know it was there.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 PM
Strike Hold

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It's because the chip was on the edge where the windshield flexes. I've had many chips in other cars. If it's within 4 inches of the edge, I get it sealed immediately to prevent cracking.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear

Windshield chips ... forever

Originally Posted by Kurdt
​​​​​​​Hello everyone, new member here. I just purchased a 2019 RDX A-Spec in White for my wife. The car is gorgeous and so far I'm really liking it.

However, as I was driving it home from the dealership, a rock or something hit the windshield and put a serious chip in it as I was driving down the interstate. I was so pissed to deliver this brand new RDX to my wife with an already chipped windshield.

I am wondering if any of you have seen chips/cracks in your windshield more often than you have on other vehicles? The reason I ask is because I rarely had this problem with any of the vehicles I've owned until my 2015 Mustang GT and now this RDX. I've been through 2 windshields already on that Mustang. It has "Soundscreen" which is supposed to make it quieter but I've heard may also make it more prone to chips. I've heard the same complaint from a lot of Jeep owners as well.
Just wondering if this will be an issue going forward or if it is just a stroke of bad luck.

I have a 2014 RDX and I know exactly what you’re feeling- I felt the same what when I drove my new baby home from the dealership and noticed as I pulled I do my driveway a small crack on the upper corner driver’s side windshield- I saw no impact marks and didn’t remember hearing that horrible sound of stone hitting your car glass. I chalked it up to bad luck, and replaced it . It is now about 5 years later and I’m 3 new windshields in - only three because after second I noticed that the cracks are immediate and start in the same place and same pattern - every time so I wait as long as I can before replacing it.

How are are your lights?
They’ll be the next to go- dealership insisted I had someone reconfigure my wiring because they didn’t have the thick black sheathing to insulate the wires. As a result there was exposed wiring which caused oxidation and poor current flow to the lights bulbs themselves. I’ve had my headlights replaced 5 times since the bulbs burned out -close to a year after newly purchased. It’s like driving that “Fred flintone mobile”, the one with 2 candles out in front.

The car now has H1D bulbs and is still worthless at night - I call it my daytime car

I’ve found a couple of other people on the internet complain about the windshield - and one person mentioned it was due to the “flexibility of the frame”

I drive pretty much highway. Transport family etc.

Sad to see they still haven’t addressed this even 5yrs later.
It’s a safety issue -I literally have an almost complete triangle across the left edge of my windshield

and the car can’t be driven at night
This is my first Acura and my last -
Old 10-17-2019, 07:05 AM
Instructor

A friend of mine who is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon got very upset when she saw my children jumping on the bed. “Children who jump on beds break their legs” she said.

That was her everyday experience, but her opinion was skewed by the fact that no one ever came to her reporting that their child had jumped on the bed and not broken anything.

The point of this parable is that no number of anecdotes about cracked windshields tells us anything about whether Acura has a problem.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:40 AM
2nd Gear

A friend of mine who is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon got very upset when she saw my children jumping on the bed. “Children who jump on beds break their legs” she said.

That was her everyday experience, but her opinion was skewed by the fact that no one ever came to her reporting that their child had jumped on the bed and not broken anything.

The point of this parable is that no number of anecdotes about cracked windshields tells us anything about whether Acura has a problem.
Thats where you’re wrong my friend
anecdote + anecdote to the “enough” power = people realizing there may be a problem and maybe even warrant a recall

at the very least it may save someone the money and heartache of buying this vehicle, if they are considering another.

You have the option of going to another thread if you don’t like reading what you see as anecdotes.. people who have purchased these vehicles and are paying upwards of $500.oo per windshield and upgrading lights to drive a vehicle they thought had a good reputation for quality, find these more than anecdotal.

Those mothers in your example have the choice of supervising using their children better or giving them safer play options. Your pediatrician has the option of updating her research and using accurate facts in her practice -perhaps even through anecdotes from other pediatricians

You have the right to spend your hard earned money anywhere you want, only a fool throws it away without research.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Damn happening to me too, just notice i have a crack in lower driver side, it start to spread, went to my dealer, they told me to just drive it till at least spring when the weather getting warmer to have it replace, what do I do in the meantime, should I have it sealed so it won’t spread and claim my insurance when time come, what do you guys think..
Old 11-04-2019, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Get it sealed. It is cheap.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Get it sealed. It is cheap.
Either way my insurance cover it, my only worry is when I get it sealed now, latter when I wanted my insurance to replaced it they refused for the reason already sealed..
Old 11-04-2019, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I had an 8 inch crack on a 2019 Advance RDX from a stone on the interstate. I called insurance, they referred me to Safelite, I took it in the next day, they replaced the windshield and calibrated in 2 1/2 hours, I paid them the $200 glass only deductible that is on policy and was on my way. I haven't noticed any issues with any of the technology calibrated by Safelite, but it has only been a few weeks since the crack. If it happens once every few years, and it costs $200 and 2 1/2 hours, that is probably tolerable, but more often, maybe not so tolerable.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gtssenior
I had an 8 inch crack on a 2019 Advance RDX from a stone on the interstate. I called insurance, they referred me to Safelite, I took it in the next day, they replaced the windshield and calibrated in 2 1/2 hours, I paid them the $200 glass only deductible that is on policy and was on my way. I haven't noticed any issues with any of the technology calibrated by Safelite, but it has only been a few weeks since the crack. If it happens once every few years, and it costs $200 and 2 1/2 hours, that is probably tolerable, but more often, maybe not so tolerable.
Did the replacement windshield genuine acura, with Acura logo stamp on it or third party windshield?
Old 11-05-2019, 04:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Yotrek
Did the replacement windshield genuine acura, with Acura logo stamp on it or third party windshield?
The stamp shows the following: FUYAO - SOLARTINT - ACOUSTIC HUD, AS1 M848 and DOT-459. The last two I would guess are standards that the windshields comply. An internet search shows it to be an OEM Chinese company with manufacturing facilities in the US under the name Fuyao Glass America. They claim to make lots of glass for automotive companies as a supplier, so it is possible that this is the same glass put into the Acura at assembly time with a different stamp. One of their manufacturing locations is in Moraine, Ohio which is close to East Liberty, Ohio where the RDX and Honda CRV are assembled. Their proximity may not be a coincidence.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:31 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek
Either way my insurance cover it, my only worry is when I get it sealed now, latter when I wanted my insurance to replaced it they refused for the reason already sealed..
Ask your insurance company - they'll have the answer. We can only guess.

Originally Posted by gtssenior
The stamp shows the following: FUYAO - SOLARTINT - ACOUSTIC HUD, AS1 M848 and DOT-459. The last two I would guess are standards that the windshields comply. An internet search shows it to be an OEM Chinese company with manufacturing facilities in the US under the name Fuyao Glass America. They claim to make lots of glass for automotive companies as a supplier, so it is possible that this is the same glass put into the Acura at assembly time with a different stamp. One of their manufacturing locations is in Moraine, Ohio which is close to East Liberty, Ohio where the RDX and Honda CRV are assembled. Their proximity may not be a coincidence.
An OE windshield will have ACURA printed on it. If it doesn't say ACURA, it's not a genuine OE windshield. Glass companies make both OE and aftermarket versions of the same windshield. The OE version is made to the automaker's specifications. The aftermarket version is made to the glassmaker's specifications which can be lower or higher than those of the automaker. Give the price difference, I'll let you decide which is of higher quality.

I also see the acronyms OE and OEM frequently misused.

OE stands for Original Equipment. This would be the windshield that came with the vehicle.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. The term "OEM" could be used to describe a windshield that is NOT a "genuine Acura" windshield, but is made by the same manufacturer that makes the "genuine Acura" windshield...to different specifications.

"OE/OEM equivalent" means it is aftermarket.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Some insurance companies will only pay for OE glass after car is older than 2-3 years. You might want to pay the difference to get the OEM. OE glass can be good, all depends which one you get. Experienced glass shop can advice on high quality OE glass that is the same or better than OEM.
I would not go with safelite or any of those big chains, they have a lot of incompetent people working there. I found a nice family owned shop that does the same thing as safe lite, they do quality work and can tell you which OE glass is high quality and which one is not.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by russianDude
Some insurance companies will only pay for OE glass after car is older than 2-3 years. You might want to pay the difference to get the OEM. OE glass can be good, all depends which one you get. Experienced glass shop can advice on high quality OE glass that is the same or better than OEM.
I would not go with safelite or any of those big chains, they have a lot of incompetent people working there. I found a nice family owned shop that does the same thing as safe lite, they do quality work and can tell you which OE glass is high quality and which one is not.
In my case since it has only been installed a few weeks, I will have to wait a period of time before I can comment one way or the other on glass quality. The features that are driven off the camera and the HUD after re-calibration seem to be spot on with the replacement glass.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:13 AM
9th Gear

Just bad luck, no big deal. If it is not too large, just spend a few bucks on a windshield glass repair kit and about 15 minutes of your time, I have done this simple "repair" on my cars a few times, the chips are invisible.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Question 2019 RDX Advance Windshield issues

Curious if anyone else has experienced what I think is a design problem with the sound proof front windshield of the Advance model. I'm seeing an enormous number of tiny/petite/miniscule fissures or flaws that are most noticeable when driving into the sun. At certain times of the day it very hard to see in front of the car. It does not look like cracks in the window like something hit it, rather than flaws or defects going on between the split safety glass.

Quick Reply: Windshield chips