Windshield chips

Old 01-21-2019, 09:21 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield chips

​​​​​​​Hello everyone, new member here. I just purchased a 2019 RDX A-Spec in White for my wife. The car is gorgeous and so far I'm really liking it.

However, as I was driving it home from the dealership, a rock or something hit the windshield and put a serious chip in it as I was driving down the interstate. I was so pissed to deliver this brand new RDX to my wife with an already chipped windshield.

I am wondering if any of you have seen chips/cracks in your windshield more often than you have on other vehicles? The reason I ask is because I rarely had this problem with any of the vehicles I've owned until my 2015 Mustang GT and now this RDX. I've been through 2 windshields already on that Mustang. It has "Soundscreen" which is supposed to make it quieter but I've heard may also make it more prone to chips. I've heard the same complaint from a lot of Jeep owners as well.
Just wondering if this will be an issue going forward or if it is just a stroke of bad luck.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurdt
​​​​​​​Hello everyone, new member here. I just purchased a 2019 RDX A-Spec in White for my wife. The car is gorgeous and so far I'm really liking it.

However, as I was driving it home from the dealership, a rock or something hit the windshield and put a serious chip in it as I was driving down the interstate. I was so pissed to deliver this brand new RDX to my wife with an already chipped windshield.

I am wondering if any of you have seen chips/cracks in your windshield more often than you have on other vehicles? The reason I ask is because I rarely had this problem with any of the vehicles I've owned until my 2015 Mustang GT and now this RDX. I've been through 2 windshields already on that Mustang. It has "Soundscreen" which is supposed to make it quieter but I've heard may also make it more prone to chips. I've heard the same complaint from a lot of Jeep owners as well.
Just wondering if this will be an issue going forward or if it is just a stroke of bad luck.

windshields chip, that is just the way it is. I picked up a chip already too. I had 3 chips in my last car. I have full glass protection, and get them sealed right away by Safelite.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I doubt the glass is any different than the glass used in any other vehicle.

It's just a matter luck/bad luck when it comes to rock chips.

Nothing like driving a long and hear that familiar and gut wrenching "BAP" as whatever it is bounces off the windshield and you see an immediate star.. ugh
Old 01-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I doubt the glass is any different than the glass used in any other vehicle.

It's just a matter luck/bad luck when it comes to rock chips.

Nothing like driving a long and hear that familiar and gut wrenching "BAP" as whatever it is bounces off the windshield and you see an immediate star.. ugh
I do believe it is thicker as the windshield is specifically acoustic dampening
Old 01-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Chips, in paint or glass, from road debris are simply a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sucks but that's the way it is.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:40 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Chips, in paint or glass, from road debris are simply a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sucks but that's the way it is.
I know this is probably correct, but after my experience with the Mustang I have to wonder about these acoustic windshields.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:33 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I am NOT saying this is correct, but....I read somewhere recently that acoustic damping windshields are slightly thinner than the non acoustic damping variety. I'll try to fin the source.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 01-21-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I am NOT saying this is correct, but....I read somewhere recently that acoustic windshields are slightly thinner than the non acoustic. I'll try to fin the source.
maybe something with the material? Although the aspec does not have acoustic side glass, I noticed the window glass is the thickest window glass I have ever seen
Old 01-21-2019, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I am NOT saying this is correct, but....I read somewhere recently that acoustic damping windshields are slightly thinner than the non acoustic damping variety. I'll try to fin the source.
Originally Posted by Dereileak

maybe something with the material? Although the aspec does not have acoustic side glass, I noticed the window glass is the thickest window glass I have ever seen
It could be the glass is thinner. The difference between conventional and acoustic glass is the vinyl layer between the panes of glass - with the newer materials being better at sound dampening. Thicker glass will also lessen the noise levels so thinner acoustic glass will provide the same level of noise reduction as would thicker conventional glass - or - acoustic glass the same thickness as conventional glass will be quieter.

https://glassmagazine.com/article/au...iet-revolution
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I know this is probably correct, but after my experience with the Mustang I have to wonder about these acoustic windshields.
I had the samething happen 5 days after picking my Advanced with acoustic glass in June. On the interstate going 60 and nobody in front of me for at least 100 yards and then a pink on the passenger side of the windshield and my wife says you just got your first stone chip. I immediately though about the density of acoustic glass versus regular windshield glass and suspect that its softer. Went to the dealer and asked the service manager and sales manager if they had any thoughts on that assumption and they didn't know for sure but felt it could be a cause. I have insurance for the replacement but they dissuaded me from getting it replaced due to no windshields being available except from the factory and the COST. The windshield is replaced then the vehicle needs to go back to the dealer and the camera and sensors need to be realigned. They didn't think that the insurance would pay for that part as its kind of a gray area right now. The chip is large but has not spread and is up high on the passenger side. It bothered the hell out of me for about a month now only when I wash the car.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrblase
I had the samething happen 5 days after picking my Advanced with acoustic glass in June. On the interstate going 60 and nobody in front of me for at least 100 yards and then a pink on the passenger side of the windshield and my wife says you just got your first stone chip. I immediately though about the density of acoustic glass versus regular windshield glass and suspect that its softer. Went to the dealer and asked the service manager and sales manager if they had any thoughts on that assumption and they didn't know for sure but felt it could be a cause. I have insurance for the replacement but they dissuaded me from getting it replaced due to no windshields being available except from the factory and the COST. The windshield is replaced then the vehicle needs to go back to the dealer and the camera and sensors need to be realigned. They didn't think that the insurance would pay for that part as its kind of a gray area right now. The chip is large but has not spread and is up high on the passenger side. It bothered the hell out of me for about a month now only when I wash the car.
I had a small pebble hit my windshield on my less than 6 months old 18 CR-V Touring. Crack about 12 inches long appeared almost instantly. Safelite was contacted by my insurance co (Geico) and a new OEM (Honda) glass was installed. Safelite re-calibrated the sensors and camera. It has been working just fine since. Our policy has Zero deductible on glass in AZ. FWIW, Geico had no hesitation in fulfilling my request for an original Honda windshield. BTW, Geico told me if Safelite couldn't re-calibrate, take it dealer, and submit the receipt to Deico for reimbursement.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2 chips already. Had the truck since October. Something is definitely up with the glass that's used for these windshields!
Old 01-21-2019, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tabs31
...Something is definitely up with the glass that's used for these windshields!
Yep, keeps getting hit by FFOs (Flying Foreign Objects).

Seriously though, it looks like Gorilla Glass may be coming to a windshield near you sometime in the future.

https://www.engineering.com/Advanced...lla-Glass.aspx

Last edited by MI-RDX; 01-21-2019 at 07:50 PM.
OK-RDX (06-03-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 08:28 PM
4th Gear

The nature of the chip is what has my interest piqued. The diameter of the impact point along with the starring cracks is less than a dime. But in the center where the rock hit it is in bad shape...shattered-like where i could take my fingernail and start scraping a hole from the small bits of glass. I've never seen one do that. I may take a pic tomorrow if I can. It has me wondering if it is even repairable.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:42 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Still not clear to me exactly what "acoustic glass" is (besides mostly 8U11$#I+) but I'll bet you can't get it from SafeLite, even if you have full glass coverage. I wonder how much more it is to get OEM glass.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 PM
4th Gear

I know that you can, because I've done it twice with my Mustang via Safelite. One of the times the guy brought the wrong windshield, and had to come back the next day with the correct Soundscreen version. In retrospect, maybe I should have taken the standard one...
Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Still not clear to me exactly what "acoustic glass" is (besides mostly 8U11$#I+) but I'll bet you can't get it from SafeLite, even if you have full glass coverage. I wonder how much more it is to get OEM glass.
The dealer estimated that Acura OEM glass, installation and calibration would be around $1,000.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:34 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblase
The dealer estimated that Acura OEM glass, installation and calibration would be around $1,000.
Calibration? They calibrate the glass?

I'd hope my full-glass coverage would cover at least half of that.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:42 PM
Drifting

I've had three windshields replaced on two cars by Safelite in the last 18 months. They were ALL OEM factory glass. Two were NOT acoustic damping, and one was.

Calibration? They calibrate the glass?

I'd hope my full-glass coverage would cover at least half of that.
The required calibration of the cameras and sensors that are mounted in front of the rear view mirror against the glass were covered 100% by my Geico Insurance.
Jamus22 (06-19-2022)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:13 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
1. "Acoustic" glass tends to be thinner than "non-acoustic" glass.

https://hondanews.com/acura-automobi...-body-exterior

2. Honda says only OE glass should be used in models with Honda Sensing or HUD's.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...b/ABN09431.pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by zroger73:
NooYawkuh (01-27-2019), Outfitter (06-01-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
PDR shops can do some magic with windshield Chips. Take it to one of them. They can usually fill them and make it pretty much invisible
Old 01-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Just got my first big chip driving the interstate to work. SafeLight came out and filled the hole for free with no deductible, but you can see the chip area.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cracked within 4 weeks - 2019 acura rdx

I googled this to find out if I got a lemon or if it chips easily. I just bought the car 4 weeks ago and 1 week it spent at the dealership while I was on vacation getting accessories added. So yesterday I drove it into the garage perfect, it's private, it's insulated but not heated. I drove out this morning with a crack mid-height, mid-way along the windshield, about 1.5 feet long! I was in shock! I don't see where anything hit it. Funnily enough i noticed yesterday that it had a lot of scratches on it. I've owned many other cars and honestly this has NEVER happened. Here's the fun part: the windshield is so expensive it's usually not stocked, it costs $160/hour is labor to calibrate it. You have to get it calibrated at the dealership because they have the technology. And if you drive it uncalibrated the gps, radar and other functions won't work (apparently, not tried it) and indicator lights will go off on the dash (not sure if it affects driving of the vehicle). So, $1000 later you can have a new windshield installed, calibrated, glued. Luckily, my dealership saw this as a priority and moved things around to get me in, ordered and rushed the windshield so it will arrive in 2 days and got me a loaner car to use because they need it for the whole day. That's right folks. Nightmare. Would i still buy the acura rdx advance package - YES! Love my car. Heads up display rocks, surround cameras rock. Just love it - windshield and all!
Old 05-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by rdxjennifer
I googled this to find out if I got a lemon or if it chips easily. I just bought the car 4 weeks ago and 1 week it spent at the dealership while I was on vacation getting accessories added. So yesterday I drove it into the garage perfect, it's private, it's insulated but not heated. I drove out this morning with a crack mid-height, mid-way along the windshield, about 1.5 feet long! I was in shock! I don't see where anything hit it. Funnily enough i noticed yesterday that it had a lot of scratches on it. I've owned many other cars and honestly this has NEVER happened. Here's the fun part: the windshield is so expensive it's usually not stocked, it costs $160/hour is labor to calibrate it. You have to get it calibrated at the dealership because they have the technology. And if you drive it uncalibrated the gps, radar and other functions won't work (apparently, not tried it) and indicator lights will go off on the dash (not sure if it affects driving of the vehicle). So, $1000 later you can have a new windshield installed, calibrated, glued. Luckily, my dealership saw this as a priority and moved things around to get me in, ordered and rushed the windshield so it will arrive in 2 days and got me a loaner car to use because they need it for the whole day. That's right folks. Nightmare. Would i still buy the acura rdx advance package - YES! Love my car. Heads up display rocks, surround cameras rock. Just love it - windshield and all!
That's very enlightening as I have the same crack in the same spot and about 15 inches long... I get my windshield replaced tomorrow and it goes in for calibration right after
Old 05-21-2019, 03:07 PM
Pro

The camera requires aiming after windshield replacement, but the radar which is located behind the Acura logo on the grille doesn't and there is no affect on the GPS antenna which is located inside the instrument panel.

However, any systems that rely on the camera (such as the pedestrian detection function of CMBS, LKAS, RDM, and automatic high beam operation) may not function correctly or may be disabled with warning messages displayed if the windshield is replaced and the camera isn't calibrated. It won't prevent the vehicle from being driven, though.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:57 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
We had out windshield replaced 2 weeks ago - stone caused an 8 in crack. Insurance covers glass replacement and the calibration of the camera, and they suggested I go to the dealer. Cost was just under $800 total — just cost me my $100 comprehensive deductible. It was at the dealer for three days, but that was partially due to getting an inspection done (dealer figured why get replacement inspection stickers since it was due for inspection in 2 months anyway, and they do free lifetime state inspections), plus I had the brake pedal tsb and B16 service done while it was in.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrWoo:
robnalex (05-21-2019), wsw (02-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Wow. I feel bad. Taking my Advanced in tomorrow for a new windshield (Honda dealer), $1320 total including the calibration. Wonder if that 'acoustic' glass is really worth that much more, or...?
Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
It is the roads, IMO, not the windshields. Our roads are crumbling, and that means chunks of road can get thrown up. I have never heard a loud CRACK when driving on a highway where that did not leave a chip, star, or crack. And it has happened to most cars in my memory.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MT-RDX
Wow. I feel bad. Taking my Advanced in tomorrow for a new windshield (Honda dealer), $1320 total including the calibration. Wonder if that 'acoustic' glass is really worth that much more, or...?
"Acoustic" windshields are nothing special. They're constructed just like "regular' windshields using the same materials, but with a different viscosity of PVB (polyvinyl butyral) in between the two sheets of glass that is tuned to reduce certain frequencies. Ford's least expensive car (less than $15,000), the Fiesta, had an "acoustic" windshield that Ford calls "SoundScreen" as standard equipment. They've been in Buick's "QuietTuning" package for many years. All 2016-current Civics come standard with acoustic windshields.

Here's a fun example:

The "regular" windshield (non-"acoustic" and no Honda Sensing camera) in the base Ridgeline RT trim lists for $700.75.
The "acoustic" windshield (with provisions for the Honda Sensing camera) in the Ridgeline RTL-E lists for $646.78.

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
It is the roads, IMO, not the windshields. Our roads are crumbling, and that means chunks of road can get thrown up. I have never heard a loud CRACK when driving on a highway where that did not leave a chip, star, or crack. And it has happened to most cars in my memory.
Here in NE Texas (and probably other places), the state is very fond of extending the life of roads by applying a relatively inexpensive "chip seal" where the existing pavement is completely coated with a layer of hot tar then chunks of rock averaging 3/8-1/2" in diameter are spread on top. After a brief cooling period, some to most of the extra rocks are swept off to the side, but LOTS of paint chips and cracked windshields result. And, even the quietest vehicles roar loudly when driving over this crap. It stays that way for several years until there's enough money to properly remove the old asphalt and repave with smooth asphalt.
nist7 (10-15-2020)
Old 05-22-2019, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glass

So here is information from my insurance. The only cars that have this problem are Honda/Acura, all in last 5 months. Other cars use acoustic glass and not a problem. Calibration is because of the Honda sensors and cameras. So if you buy a Honda/Acura you are going to HAVE TO USE MANUFACTURER HONDA GLASS AND YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE IT CALIBRATED. And as for anyone talking about glass, I’ve never had it break in 3 weeks! I driven cars for years. So I’m calling Acura to complain. Call it acoustic or whatever, irrelevant. It is a glass defect in my car driving opinion

Originally Posted by zroger73
"Acoustic" windshields are nothing special. They're constructed just like "regular' windshields using the same materials, but with a different viscosity of PVB (polyvinyl butyral) in between the two sheets of glass that is tuned to reduce certain frequencies. Ford's least expensive car (less than $15,000), the Fiesta, had an "acoustic" windshield that Ford calls "SoundScreen" as standard equipment. They've been in Buick's "QuietTuning" package for many years. All 2016-current Civics come standard with acoustic windshields.

Here's a fun example:

The "regular" windshield (non-"acoustic" and no Honda Sensing camera) in the base Ridgeline RT trim lists for $700.75.
The "acoustic" windshield (with provisions for the Honda Sensing camera) in the Ridgeline RTL-E lists for $646.78.

Here in NE Texas (and probably other places), the state is very fond of extending the life of roads by applying a relatively inexpensive "chip seal" where the existing pavement is completely coated with a layer of hot tar then chunks of rock averaging 3/8-1/2" in diameter are spread on top. After a brief cooling period, some to most of the extra rocks are swept off to the side, but LOTS of paint chips and cracked windshields result. And, even the quietest vehicles roar loudly when driving over this crap. It stays that way for several years until there's enough money to properly remove the old asphalt and repave with smooth asphalt.
wsw (02-21-2020)
Old 05-22-2019, 02:35 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
So here is information from my insurance. The only cars that have this problem are Honda/Acura, all in last 5 months. Other cars use acoustic glass and not a problem. Calibration is because of the Honda sensors and cameras. So if you buy a Honda/Acura you are going to HAVE TO USE MANUFACTURER HONDA GLASS AND YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE IT CALIBRATED. And as for anyone talking about glass, I’ve never had it break in 3 weeks! I driven cars for years. So I’m calling Acura to complain. Call it acoustic or whatever, irrelevant. It is a glass defect in my car driving opinion
That's absurd. VW, MB, BMW and most other manufactures have the same "issues".
Old 05-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Pro

That's incorrect. Honda isn't the only automaker to require calibration after a windshield replacement and to recommend/require OE windshields as replacements. Mercedes-Benz, Subaru, and Nissan are some others. In fact, most manufacturers are using windshield-mounted cameras for safety and driver assist features these days. The basic design is similar from one manufacturer to the next, so many of the same guidelines for OE glass and calibration apply.

Heck, I remember cautions from manufacturers to use only OE windshields back in the 90's when windshield-mounted rain sensors began to appear. Using aftermarket windshields could (and still can) cause the windshield wipers to operate erratically due to different optical characteristics of the glass.

1534 E Palestine Ave
Palestine, TX75801
Old 05-22-2019, 03:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MT-RDX
Mine is an Advance, also. OEM windshield with rain sensor installed at dealer was $583 for the parts and $165 for labor. Total of $748 plus sales tax. Their body shop did the replacement, sent to service for the calibration.
wsw (02-21-2020)
Old 05-22-2019, 04:12 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by zroger73
That's incorrect. Honda isn't the only automaker to require calibration after a windshield replacement and to recommend/require OE windshields as replacements. Mercedes-Benz, Subaru, and Nissan are some others. In fact, most manufacturers are using windshield-mounted cameras for safety and driver assist features these days. The basic design is similar from one manufacturer to the next, so many of the same guidelines for OE glass and calibration apply.

Heck, I remember cautions from manufacturers to use only OE windshields back in the 90's when windshield-mounted rain sensors began to appear. Using aftermarket windshields could (and still can) cause the windshield wipers to operate erratically due to different optical characteristics of the glass.
Yep, every manufacturer has the same alignment requirements.

Look at the first "featured video here
Old 05-22-2019, 05:56 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Dear ceb

I need to get my windshield replaced and it is so expensive. I live in a state that doesn't have special glass coverage, so it falls under the comprehensive portion of my insurance. I have a $1000 deductible and the glass costs more than that.

In addition, the glass place broke one of my sensors and blamed it on a defect. The dealer blamed it on the install. That's going to cost me money too.

signed

Glassy eyed

Dear Glassy,

I think you have some options to consider in the future. First and foremost, look at your comprehensive deductible. For me, the difference between a $1k deductible and a $100 deductible is about $26 a year. I keep the $1k deductible on the collision side, because a lower deductible is expensive.

History has told me that I need a new windshield every 5 to 6 years, so my max out of pocket is about $230 for each windshield ($100 deductible plus the "extra" for the lower deductible.

The second thing you can do is get your windshield replaced at the dealer. While most (all?) dealers farm out their glass work (probably to the same place where you would get it done), any issues that come up during the repair (broken parts, slashed A pillars, scratches) are the responsibility of the dealer if they are the ones that write the work order.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
We've had a 1/4" chip and a smaller one for about three months. The closest Safelite is about 1 hour away. They came out yesterday to our house, repaired both chips so they are virtually invisible for a total of $65. No hassle, no time wasted. Highly recommended.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:35 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by B25Nut
We've had a 1/4" chip and a smaller one for about three months. The closest Safelite is about 1 hour away. They came out yesterday to our house, repaired both chips so they are virtually invisible for a total of $65. No hassle, no time wasted. Highly recommended.
And why did you pay for the chip repair? Every insurance company I know of will pay for a repair.

Even the Safelite ads on TV tout that. See option 1

Last edited by ceb; 05-31-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:24 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
side question, does the rear glass have the acoustics as well?
Old 06-01-2019, 03:25 AM
2019 BMW X3 M40i

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
No.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:37 PM
Racer

Side issue on this discussion about windshield replacement — we had ours replaced 3 weeks ago, along with the recalibration of the lane assist camera. We are currently on a road trip, and I swear the lane assist works better. The car used to bounce a bit between the lines, and now it really tracks straighter. And this is on roads we have traveled several times before, so it’s not a difference in highways. My wife even noticed, and she usually doesn’t notice things like that.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrWoo:
wsw (02-21-2020), zroger73 (06-02-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield chips