wifi hot spot and break-in

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 08:11 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
wifi hot spot and break-in

Anybody understand how it work?
Doesn't look like it uses my phone internet (see #2 below). I didn't go through any screen associated with ATT. So here are 2 options I tried.

1. Menu/Connections/Wifi, then I select Network. With this option you need to turn on your phone hotspot. on your car, you select your phone's SSID, password and I got connected.
2. Menu/Connections/Wifi then I select Hotspot. For this, I already turn off my phone's hotspot. Now I set SSID name, and password. Then I go to my ipad and set wifi to use this new SSID and I get in and can browse internet.

So where does #2 option get internet connection from? I don't think it's from ATT. Is it phone my phone tethering? Notice that phone's hotspot is off when I try this option.

Secondly, I look in the manual and 2019 doesn't mention anything about break-in procedure. I follow "standard" procedure but just wonder why Acura left out this.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok, to be sure, I also turn off blue tooth from phone, leave it inside house and try to connect to car's hotspot from my ipad and I get internet connection.
So wonder who provides internet connection and whether it is free for how long.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:27 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by guytdt
So where does #2 option get internet connection from?
I believe the wifi is available through AcuraLink. It is available through subscription and a new car should have a trial period. Your smartphone would connect to AcuraLink with a downloaded app. Google "AcuraLink".
Old 06-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Acura link is free for 6 months and then about $300 a year for fully connected services including mobile hot spot.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
The mobile hot spot is through AT&T. It shouldn't require an AcuraLink subscription. I believe each new car is supposed to come with a 30 day free trail of the hotspot feature (although only on 3G speeds). The car needs to be activated on a cellular plan to work.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Looks like you are up and running on the 30 day trial. It's through AT&T.

wifi hot spot and break-in-yoipxql.jpg

Last edited by MrJames; 06-10-2018 at 10:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DWG (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Depending on what you do with it, the 3GB/3-month (whichever is reached first) trial allowance may go quickly. I have had it in my '18 Odyssey - the first Honda vehicle to be equipped with LTE - for a year now, and the initial 3GB trial did not last even a week due to video streaming. Haven't driven a '19 RDX yet but there should be an AT&T app in the car that can show you how much of that 3GB has been used. By the way, the $20/month cost is all inclusive (of taxes and fees). When in-car Wi-Fi is set to "Network" mode, it acts as a Wi-Fi client and uses whatever you make it connect to (whether it is your phone with mobile hotspot turned on, or your home Wi-Fi when in the garage/on the driveway) as the uplink to the Internet, and it will use that connection to download OTA updates as well; when set to "Hotspot" mode, it uses the built-in LTE radio as uplink to the Internet via AT&T, and it will use that for OTA updates as well.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Pro

Can pretty much guarantee that it’s cheaper to get an unlimited plan on your phone than to use the mobile
hotspot feature for $20/month. I mean, I have Verizon with two phones and 8 gigs for like $121 a month. It’s $130 if I wanted to go unlimited on both lines so it’s a no brainer if I ever wanted to. For work they give me
a mobile hotspot anyway which I keep on my car and get 10gigs on that as well. So I have no need for the car to have it’s own hotspot. To each his own, but $20 a month seems like a lot of it’s not unlimited data and only 3G speeds.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

Who says it's not unlimited and only 3G speeds? AT&T only offers "unlimited" data over LTE for in-car Wi-Fi. It used to offer the same for mobile hotspots that plug into the OBD-II port of any vehicle but has discontinued it. By "unlimited", it means the first 22GB are not throttled for each billing cycle; I have used up to 30GB a month and so far experienced no throttling. Throughput on the East Coast is limited by high network latency - everything goes through Jasper Technology's datacenter in Santa Clara, CA - nevertheless I generally get ~10 Mbps and up to 20 Mbps download speed.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord07
Who says it's not unlimited and only 3G speeds? AT&T only offers "unlimited" data over LTE for in-car Wi-Fi. It used to offer the same for mobile hotspots that plug into the OBD-II port of any vehicle but has discontinued it. By "unlimited", it means the first 22GB are not throttled for each billing cycle; I have used up to 30GB a month and so far experienced no throttling. Throughput on the East Coast is limited by high network latency - everything goes through Jasper Technology's datacenter in Santa Clara, CA - nevertheless I generally get ~10 Mbps and up to 20 Mbps download speed.
The trial period is 3G. If you pay for the hotspot feature it’s LTE
Old 06-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

The data allowance is 3GB within 30 days for RDX, whichever is reached first. It was 3GB within 90 days when I bought my van last year. It is in AT&T's interest not to throttle, when they try to get paying customers. I had the same speed during the trial and after the trial. I drive the van loaded with people for long road trips frequently, video streaming consumes data quickly; if I were just using a vehicle for daily commute, I will not be able to use that much data - AT&T is counting on that to improve their profit margin.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mcrompton

The trial period is 3G. If you pay for the hotspot feature it’s LTE
“up to 4G lte” good luck getting that type of speed routinely. My Verizon jetpack is 4G/lte and it’s not great. It’s free to me because of work so I don’t complain but depending on your area, you may not get those speeds. In my area of DE/southeast PA where I do most of my trembling, at&t is awful.

My apologies if I mislead anyone on it being limited, I guess I misread the allowance somewhere. But my point remains that I believe you can get better speeds using your phone as a hotspot and cheaper from your carrier than subscribing to at&t.