What is your preferred driving mode?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 08:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
What is your preferred driving mode?

As a default, what is your preferred driving mode? Do you change it up? If so, why?
Old 03-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Only two weeks in, I overwhelmingly leave it in Comfort. I haven't really had the chance yet to play with Sport or Sport+. I'll probably drive in Comfort mostly anyway.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I leave it in comfort. Not having the Advanced model, the suspension doesnt change anyway, so, to me, the Sport doesn’t do more than I can do with my foot or the paddles.

I don’t drive as aggressively as I used to, being retired. But if I was back commuting into NYC, I would probably use Sport for tha extra bit.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Sport 99% of the time....just need to try some twisty f roads for sport plus....soon!
Old 03-17-2019, 02:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drove comfort for first 1000kms. Now I leave it in sport because the gas mileage is no difference and it definitely drives peppier
Old 03-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I have the Advance and leave it in Comfort almost all the time. Every so often I'll switch it up for some additional driving fun but this car is fun to drive in Comfort mode too.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
In the city i have been driving in comfort and then switch to sport while on the highway.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Comfort...unless...

If I am out on a twisty hilly road - & there are lots of those here in Idaho - I'll use sport & rude the paddles for down shifting going downhill. Otherwise, Comfort. Tried all modes, & all do what they claim. Snow was handy when we had some, but Winter was pretty mild around here. Comfort suits me best overall. Love the SH-AWD & Advance adaptive suspension on the rwisty stuff.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sport Mode. I find Sport+ mode bumps the RPM up 1K with no real driving benefit. Same for moving from D to S in drive shift mode. Not sure what is the best for 0-60 acceleration as the car changes gears a lot
Old 03-17-2019, 07:46 PM
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Mostly confort mode. Although I do enjoy driving in sport mode occasionally. Living in SWFL, sport mode comes in handy this time of the year.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Glen Collins
Mostly confort mode. Although I do enjoy driving in sport mode occasionally. Living in SWFL, sport mode comes in handy this time of the year.
95 between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami is hairy for sure. Not only would I want sport plus, but a couple of 20mm cannon would be good too.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
All of the Above

My experience with in 2500 miles, most suburban driving. Very few highway miles, Advance model

Snow/‘Super Comfort”, D Mode: great for snow, but also for relaxed driving. Smooth shift points, low rev, not as torque’y. Great for when my motion sick wife is riding shotgun.

Comfort, D mode: smooth sailing over Detroit area potholes, and smooth power on the highway. Shifting into S mode, or dropping 2 gears on the manual wheel give quick powerband when needed.

Sport, D mode: My preferred setting. Smooth power between lower speeds, and quicker passing power in the highway. Active dampening does make the set up more rigid and steering tighter. Surprisingly good ride over potholes and ruts. S mode shortens gearing. But manual shifts work as expected.

Sport+, S mode: winding roads, no cops, no deer or full on highway beast mode. Compressed shift points, even stiffer steering and handling. Very quick power on the highway without the need to manual downshift.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:52 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Sport, simply due to taking off from a stop. I've found in comfort I always feel like I have to press the gas pedal unnecessarily far before it'll go.
The following users liked this post:
RENARELLO (09-23-2020)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 AM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
A-Spec - Sport Plus all the time. Live in the Blue Ridge mountains and lots of twisty rods to get the LED out. Vrooooom vrooooom vrooooom.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Sport 100%. No question. In S. FL as well.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sport 99%, Sport + transmission shifting is rather annoying, hangs high RPMS and gears too long, although I suppose that is what that mode is for.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by David Irwin
Drove comfort for first 1000kms. Now I leave it in sport because the gas mileage is no difference and it definitely drives peppier
not that i don't believe any other users here but there really is no MPG diff (at least noticeable) between comfort & sport?
Old 03-18-2019, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I picked mine up on Saturday (2 days ago) and so far have been 99.9% in Sport. I took a 1.5 hour drive to the beach but still keeping it under 3K RPMs until the first 1000KM. After that I may be 75% Sport 25% Sports+
Old 03-18-2019, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by knakane
not that i don't believe any other users here but there really is no MPG diff (at least noticeable) between comfort & sport?
I drove about 300KM this weekend and averaged 10.2KM/Liter. I think that translates to about 23.99 MPG. So that is just fine for me in Sports mode.
knakane (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 04:59 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by achong507
I drove about 300KM this weekend and averaged 10.2KM/Liter. I think that translates to about 23.99 MPG. So that is just fine for me in Sports mode.
exactly the info i was looking for..thanks!!
Old 03-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by knakane
I'm averaging .5 miles per gallon more in Sport mode over Comfort mode. Not sinentific but noticeable.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:08 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which mode is best for gas mileage?
Old 03-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Long distance driving on rural interstates = comfort
Urban/suburban driving with a mix of city streets and freeway on ramp merges = sport
Lightly traveled country roads = sport + (fairly infrequent though)
Old 09-23-2020, 01:10 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Sport plus when i'm feeling rowdy. My wife always knows something is about to happen when i flick the knob to the right to engage.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:51 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Sport plus when i'm feeling rowdy. My wife always knows something is about to happen when i flick the knob to the right to engage.
Yes, same here! It should have been just a steering wheel button!
Old 09-23-2020, 12:53 PM
Retired Geezer

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts
Comfort suits my driving style.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
Comfort.

But I change modes a lot. I have the adaptive suspension and there is a massive difference in handling to be achieved by changing modes. I have to slow down for turns a lot more in Comfort or the car leans and tries to pull into the neighboring lane. The same turn in Sport+ is a quick an drama-free affair. I'm not talking about dangerous situations or being aggressive or anything, just something as simple as making a right turn at a green light when all is clear. There is one particular turn on my way to work each day, and I can take it comfortably 10-15km/hr faster in Sport+. So,. flick ... wait ... flick ... turn ... flick back ... wait ... flick back.

The real question - why the wait?? In my 2015 BMW, I could go from Comfort to Sport to Sport+ by double tapping the button. In the RDX, you have to wait for the graphic to show and update, otherwise the second flick gets ignored. Strange. But at least it doesn't reject mode changes if you're already turning like the Accord does.

I was driving mostly in Sport mode but I noticed (80% sure) that it's harder to stay off boost, so fuel economy suffers. Despite how bad it is for the average driver, the RDX's mileage is actually fairly respectable if you learn how to stay off boost (hint: Turn on "Sport Driving Displays", then pretend the turbo gauge is a fuel economy gauge and that every time you see red, you're doing it wrong. It's not as fun, there is no torque "shove" but the car can keep up with traffic while staying mostly or completely off boost. I've managed 22-25 mpg on my suburban trip to work, vs 16-17mpg on the same route when I just didn't GAF and drove as my heart desired. Anyway, doing this well required Comfort mode.

I do wish there was an individual mode. TLX is getting it, so it's fairly likely that the next gen RDX will have this and maybe even the eventually refreshed RDX. It's definitely on my list of wants for when my lease is up in 4 years.
JB in AZ (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 05:32 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Sport every day with bouts of sport+.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfkmk
Sport every day with bouts of sport+.
Not only do I leave it in sport + all the time Aspec, pressing the D button again puts the transmission in sequential mode. A S will be displayed Gives an extra kick.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:18 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Comfort for me. I drove it in that mode for the first few months I had it and I got used to it. I’ve tried the other modes but I always come back to comfort.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Tech build since Aug 2018.

Sport mode 90% of the time. I see no difference between it and Comfort in terms of throttle response and gas mileage. I think there may be some steering input changes but I so seldom go into comfort now I could not really describe it.

However, I have been commenting to the service dept for 2 years about a, imho dangerous, hesitation during rolling stops, such as a right hand turns at large intersections where they have those dedicated right turn lanes with the short entry lanes (usually with a crosswalk going across them to an island on your left). You slow down to 10-16 km/hr (6 - 10 mph), check for pedestrians, check for any left turners from the other direction swinging wide into your lane, and punch it to go into a gap. And the car doesn't go... its' thinking about it tick tick 0.2 sec... tick 0.2s.... tick 0.2s... ok go now! Feels like a lifetime sometimes.

So a couple of weeks ago I went out with a technician for a test drive and he convinced me to once again give Sport+ a try. I had used it before but the way it holds revs excessively long at times is quite annoying. Why is the engine holding 3500 rpm at 55 km/h (35mph) when you have backed off the throttle and are holding steady for 4 or 5 seconds on a level road? That and the fuel economy penalty so I seldom use it. Since the test drive I've been reaching out to flick over to Sport+ for every on-ramp and major intersection and for sure the Sport+ has eliminated that hesitation the vehicle has in Sport and Comfort. And it is fun too! But I flick back to Sport when once again on the long straight stretch just to have peace and quiet, no excess holding of gears, and good gas mileage.

I have a wee case of tennis elbow atm so it also is a bit painful to reach over and do this quickly. I'd like to see Acura make this function available from the steering wheel controls. Always good to have both hands on the wheel when you want to do some spirited driving.

I'd also like to have Acura reconfigure Sport mode to be a little closer to Sport+ in function. Right now there is too much Comfort in Sport mode. It would be awesome to get a transmission firmware update that forces the car to act like Sport+ when your speed drops below 40 km/h (25 mph) just so you always do have the quicker gear for rolling stops yet it goes into a economical and quieter gear when above 60 km/h (40 mph).

For those who say use the paddles. No thanks. I'm just not a fan of how they function in this car when in Sport mode.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:25 PM
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 90 Posts
Has anyone noticed an MPG improvement driving long distances in snow mode? I'm just curious if that could be used as a highway eco mode. I have a 1000 mile road trip coming up in a couple weeks and look forward to experimenting between fill-ups.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:41 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Newsy1904
Tech build since Aug 2018.

Sport mode 90% of the time. I see no difference between it and Comfort in terms of throttle response and gas mileage. I think there may be some steering input changes but I so seldom go into comfort now I could not really describe it.

However, I have been commenting to the service dept for 2 years about a, imho dangerous, hesitation during rolling stops, such as a right hand turns at large intersections where they have those dedicated right turn lanes with the short entry lanes (usually with a crosswalk going across them to an island on your left). You slow down to 10-16 km/hr (6 - 10 mph), check for pedestrians, check for any left turners from the other direction swinging wide into your lane, and punch it to go into a gap. And the car doesn't go... its' thinking about it tick tick 0.2 sec... tick 0.2s.... tick 0.2s... ok go now! Feels like a lifetime sometimes.

So a couple of weeks ago I went out with a technician for a test drive and he convinced me to once again give Sport+ a try. I had used it before but the way it holds revs excessively long at times is quite annoying. Why is the engine holding 3500 rpm at 55 km/h (35mph) when you have backed off the throttle and are holding steady for 4 or 5 seconds on a level road? That and the fuel economy penalty so I seldom use it. Since the test drive I've been reaching out to flick over to Sport+ for every on-ramp and major intersection and for sure the Sport+ has eliminated that hesitation the vehicle has in Sport and Comfort. And it is fun too! But I flick back to Sport when once again on the long straight stretch just to have peace and quiet, no excess holding of gears, and good gas mileage.

I have a wee case of tennis elbow atm so it also is a bit painful to reach over and do this quickly. I'd like to see Acura make this function available from the steering wheel controls. Always good to have both hands on the wheel when you want to do some spirited driving.

I'd also like to have Acura reconfigure Sport mode to be a little closer to Sport+ in function. Right now there is too much Comfort in Sport mode. It would be awesome to get a transmission firmware update that forces the car to act like Sport+ when your speed drops below 40 km/h (25 mph) just so you always do have the quicker gear for rolling stops yet it goes into a economical and quieter gear when above 60 km/h (40 mph).

For those who say use the paddles. No thanks. I'm just not a fan of how they function in this car when in Sport mode.

This is spot on.

I change over to sport + mode for the same reason, to eliminate the hesitation as described. That and sport + is a blast. I’d love to see the get up and go of sport + in the sport mode, but use all 10 gears and not hold the gears so long.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:33 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I leave it in Sport (2019 Advance with K-Tuner). Occasionally go to Sport+ but only for specific roads.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been driving my tech 2019 RDX in comfort exclusively for 2 years now and with exactly one year left on the lease I think I might try out Sport more often based on the feedback here. I just presumed it would be more thirsty on gas but if there isn't really a difference I'll give Sport a go. My driving is mostly suburban roads with occasional highway, but pretty flat and straight terrain overall.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I find the active noise cancellation to be LESS intrusive in Sport, and I believe that's by design. I drove the first 4000 miles in comfort, and the ANC was annoying. I finally switched to Sport, and to me at least, the sound is less irritating. If you think about it, all of the engine noise is coming into the cabin in any case. The ANC amplifies the noise, changes its phase, and pumps the 'anti-noise' into the cabin. It's doubling the amount of acoustic energy being delivered to your ears.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but this is the reason I switched to driving 100% in Sport. There are lots of other threads on ANC. I don't see any difference in gas mileage.