What’s with this “go pound sand” attitude I’m hearing people are getting from dealers

Old 06-11-2018, 06:16 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
When I first started this thread, I was talking about dealerships driving a hard bargain and telling customers to take it (at MSRP) or leave it (a.k.a. "go pound sand," in so many nicer words). As predicted -- and to be expected with a high-interest, new and exciting car like the RDX -- that's exactly what's happening if you don't want to wait (nothing wrong with that...enjoy your new ride!).

However, I totally didn't expect what a certain dealership in San Diego is doing (https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-diego-970610/), which is tacking on another $5K for some bovine scatology they're calling "market value adjustment" on top of MSRP. How arrogant and greedy (and insulting, as someone on the thread said). It'll be a shame if even one person falls for that.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/...on-parted.html

The precise wording of the expression comes just a little later, in Dr. John Bridges' Defence of the Government of the Church of England, 1587:

If they pay a penie or two pence more for the reddinesse of them..let them looke to that, a foole and his money is soone parted.

And, of course, the sentiment is older than the Bible. Proverbs 21:20. This one is in the group attributed to Solomon the Wise, of 3,000 years ago.

The KJV translation: There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 06-11-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/...on-parted.html

The precise wording of the expression comes just a little later, in Dr. John Bridges' Defence of the Government of the Church of England, 1587:

And, of course, the sentiment is older than the Bible. Proverbs 21:20. This one is in the group attributed to Solomon the Wise, of 3,000 years ago.

The KJV translation: There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.
Or, from a more modern sage (Gordon Gekko from Wall Street) -- “A fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place.”
Old 06-11-2018, 10:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
You need to consider that areas with denser populations likely get away with 5k markups way more often... Think about it... that dealership in San Diego probably got 20 RDXs in it's first delivery... but the amount of people within the distance of that dealership that want that car is likely pretty high compared to other regions. Supply and demand. And demand is through the roof at the moment.

This isn't exclusive to Acura or Honda... everyone does this. Literally everyone. And no manufacturer, except I believe for Tesla, is able to tell their dealers what to do when it comes to market adjustments. They can't tell a dealer "thou shall not maximize profits!" Why would anyone buy an Acura franchise dealership then?

In my coming to know the industry, through friends within it, it is a dog eat dog world, and every dollar of profit counts. The unscrupulous dealer stories, from across the industry, I've heard would make you sick to your stomach.

Last edited by TacoBello; 06-11-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Selling a brand new Murano to a mentally handicapped guy, because he was still able to sign his name and as far as the dealership was concerned, that meant he knew what he was doing... this after he bought another brand new Murano only 6 months earlier from them... but they pretended to be his friend and he thought they were looking after his best interests and voila... a 2nd new vehicle in no time, with a ton of negative equity thrown on it from the previous new car. Just greasy.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TacoBello
You need to consider that areas with denser populations likely get away with 5k markups way more often... Think about it... that dealership in San Diego probably got 20 RDXs in it's first delivery... but the amount of people within the distance of that dealership that want that car is likely pretty high compared to other regions. Supply and demand. And demand is through the roof at the moment.

This isn't exclusive to Acura or Honda... everyone does this. Literally everyone. And no manufacturer, except I believe for Tesla, is able to tell their dealers what to do when it comes to market adjustments. They can't tell a dealer "thou shall not maximize profits!" Why would anyone buy an Acura franchise dealership then?

In my coming to know the industry, through friends within it, it is a dog eat dog world, and every dollar of profit counts. The unscrupulous dealer stories, from across the industry, I've heard would make you sick to your stomach.
Fair enough...and I can say, "thou shalt not have not even one red cent of my money!" Or, "You can take your $5K-marked up RDX and shove it!"
Old 06-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Selling a brand new Murano to a mentally handicapped guy, because he was still able to sign his name and as far as the dealership was concerned, that meant he knew what he was doing... this after he bought another brand new Murano only 6 months earlier from them... but they pretended to be his friend and he thought they were looking after his best interests and voila... a 2nd new vehicle in no time, with a ton of negative equity thrown on it from the previous new car. Just greasy.
Good grief. That's just sick. There's a special section in a very hot place for depraved carnivores scavengers like that.