What’s with this “go pound sand” attitude I’m hearing people are getting from dealers

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 09:38 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
What’s with this “go pound sand” attitude I’m hearing people are getting from dealers

I get it that there’s a lot of confidence about the RDX for all the reasons ad nauseum that make it highly sought after and the frenzy is at its peak one day after going on sale...

But, at least in my area (Washington-Baltimore-Annapolis / Northern Virginia), there are like 10 Acura dealerships within reasonable driving distance.

Go ahead and stand your ground on MSRP for as long as you want, but tread carefully with the attitude. Not good to turn someone off and drive them away to another Acura dealer, or worse, to BMW, MB, or Audi, et al, which are also very well-represented in the area.

I’m just saying...

Last edited by birdonamission; 06-02-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:46 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People that want the new RDX (or any other highly-anticipated new vehicle) are willing to pay MSRP or higher to get it. The RDX has been very well-received and pent-up demand is spilling over now that they are on the lot. I went to check one out at the only Acura dealer within a few hours drive of me and the salesman said they sold three of their six yesterday and they had heard that over 30 were sold in Atlanta area yesterday alone. Clearly they are selling all they can get at MSRP. Why would they need to discount? If you have 10 dealers within "driving distance" then you may fare better than most as competition near you is much greater, so a less-than-MSRP deal could be had sooner than other areas with virtually no competition. My dealer had 17 test drive spots reserver online for this morning, and that's not counting the ones set up by phone. People were clamoring to check out the car so much that they had to limit the amount of time they spent going over it and shortened the test drive route. I had to wait on one to get back and when my test drive was over, there was someone else ready to jump in and drive it. This is going to be the most popular vehicle has produced in years, IMO.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TNTA2
People that want the new RDX (or any other highly-anticipated new vehicle) are willing to pay MSRP or higher to get it. The RDX has been very well-received and pent-up demand is spilling over now that they are on the lot. I went to check one out at the only Acura dealer within a few hours drive of me and the salesman said they sold three of their six yesterday and they had heard that over 30 were sold in Atlanta area yesterday alone. Clearly they are selling all they can get at MSRP. Why would they need to discount? If you have 10 dealers within "driving distance" then you may fare better than most as competition near you is much greater, so a less-than-MSRP deal could be had sooner than other areas with virtually no competition. My dealer had 17 test drive spots reserver online for this morning, and that's not counting the ones set up by phone. People were clamoring to check out the car so much that they had to limit the amount of time they spent going over it and shortened the test drive route. I had to wait on one to get back and when my test drive was over, there was someone else ready to jump in and drive it. This is going to be the most popular vehicle has produced in years, IMO.
Best to wait a little bit for the pent up demand to dissipate. It will be popular but in a month or two there will be other cars people are drooling over.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:06 PM
Pro

@ TNTA2

I’m talking about the “go pound sand” attitude, which is rarely a good choice in the selling business, whether there’s 10 competitors or only 1.

I’m not saying anyone should go in super aggressive or be a general jack-donkey, neither (and deserve to be told to go pound sand)...not when there are people willing to pay whatever they are asked to pay ( ! ) — like you said.

The way I plan to do this is to be very, very well-informed and quite willing to be patient for however long it takes (months even) for things to calm down.

Last edited by birdonamission; 06-02-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:41 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
@ TNTA2

I’m talking about the “go pound sand” attitude, which is rarely a good choice in the selling business, whether there’s 10 competitors or only 1.

I’m not saying anyone should go in super aggressive or be a general jack-donkey, neither (and deserve to be told to go pound sand)...not when there are people willing to pay whatever they are asked to pay ( ! ) — like you said.

The way I plan to do this is to be very, very well-informed and quite willing to be patient for however long it takes (months even) for things to calm down.

where is all of this "go pound sand" attitude you are referring to happening at?
Old 06-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by steve_97060
where is all of this "go pound sand" attitude you are referring to happening at?
People here in the RDX forums have commented about encountering that attitude at dealerships (don't remember where they live), their words.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
People here in the RDX forums have commented about encountering that attitude at dealerships (don't remember where they live), their words.
so, people are saying huh...
Old 06-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
I get it that there’s a lot of confidence about the RDX for all the reasons ad nauseum that make it highly sought after and the frenzy is at its peak one day after going on sale...

But, at least in my area (Washington-Baltimore-Annapolis / Northern Virginia), there are like 10 Acura dealerships within reasonable driving distance.

Go ahead and stand your ground on MSRP for as long as you want, but tread carefully with the attitude. Not good to turn someone off and drive them away to another Acura dealer, or worse, to BMW, MB, or Audi, et al, which are also very well-represented in the area.

I’m just saying...
Look like Chevy Chase has been advertising ~$1k off so prices will probably come down in the DMV area quickly.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I think people have been saying that they were not offered big discounts. This is not surprising since the RDX just came out, and it is early in the month so there is no pressure yet to meet monthly sales goals. I do not recall people saying that the dealers had a pound sand attitude. It is up to the buyers to tell the dealers to pound sand if they are not offered a sufficient discount.
The following users liked this post:
birdonamission (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by steve_97060
so, people are saying huh...
I’m sure it’s not a common occurrence, and when something has gotten so much attention and buzz (and excitement), there will be resistance to wandering far from MSRP.

I hope no one tells me to go pound sand..lol. I’ll “pound the pavement,” instead, to the next dealership. But, i don't plan to be told that because i will be reasonable in negotiations.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by skarface
Look like Chevy Chase has been advertising ~$1k off so prices will probably come down in the DMV area quickly.
That’s good. I guess strong competition will do that.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:20 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m sure it’s not a common occurrence, and when something has gotten so much attention and buzz (and excitement), there will be resistance to wandering far from MSRP.

I hope no one tells me to go pound sand..lol. I’ll “pound the pavement,” instead, to the next dealership. But, i don't plan to be told that because i will be reasonable in negotiations.
I think you are taking the reports of a "go pound sand" attitude a bit too literally. I'd bet no one has actually been told to go pound sand, and the worst that anyone has been told is something along the lines of, "People are saying us MSRP so we are not coming off that price right now. " The attitude probably doesn't come until the customer presses the salesperson for a "deal" off MSRP.

If you sold widgets for $50 and had people lining up to buy them at your asking price, would you sell one to the guy offering you $35? I don't think so. You probably say something like, "Sorry sir, since everyone is willing to pay us asking price for this widget, we can't offer you a discount."
Old 06-02-2018, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
People tend to overreact as well and whine online.

"I didn't get what I wanted! I want an RDX at cost! Waaaaa" equals the good ol' 'Go pound sand' in their minds.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:23 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I don't think dealers are literally saying 'go pound sand' it is a figure of speech, and from one side of the conversation. I would not get bend out of shape by it.
idgystinks (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 11:35 PM
Pro

Yeah, all of you are right, I’m sure, that it’s probably not literal or as direct. That would be rude!! lol

And, absolutely, customers can be obnoxious as all get out.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by skarface
If you go to their website, it shows MSRP (less the $995.00 destination) and then clearly states in the fine print that the listed price does not include destination. So their posted price is sticker price. In order to get a sale price, you have to click a button that says "unlock price" which then requires that you provide them with your email address and cell number in order to actually get a price. And who knows what that sale price actually is. Can you provide some kind of proof/link that shows a real $1000.00 discount? Not the loyalty incentive or something else that's not actually a dealer discount (like having to add the destination charge back in). I'll be the first person to admit I made a mistake if you can do that, but I just see so much misinformation on this forum when it comes to pricing (which I do believe comes from good intentions) that it really gets frustrating.....
Old 06-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Drove in my dealers lot this morning. They had one white advance and one bronze(Terrible color). That’s it. Supply looks limited. If you don’t need one now, I would hold tight for end of year.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:36 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
Drove in my dealers lot this morning. They had one white advance and one bronze(Terrible color). That’s it. Supply looks limited. If you don’t need one now, I would hold tight for end of year.
YMMV. I stopped by a dealer last night. Their website shows 12 new RDXs and I saw maybe 9 still on the lot and in the showroom.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I don't think Acura dealers are doing anything out of the ordinary. They're in the business of making money, and if someone is willing to pay 1000, 2000, or even 3000 (if not more), then why not? They aren't out there to be our friends and give us good deals. They're out there to make the dealership owner even richer. That's why the dealership owner puts a chain of (well compensated, upper) staff in place...to make sure the owner gets as much as possible, day in, day out.

This is the M.O. for all dealerships, regardless of brand, so far as I'm concerned.

In my expereience, dealerships generally are reactionary to the market. They don't drop prices until sales start dropping. And if sales are hot, they will keep prices jacked. Selling 101?
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
birdonamission (06-03-2018), Curious3GTL (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
When any new hot model comes out, there is a period they demand outstrips supply. This is normal and happens all the time. Back in 2016 I wanted to buy a Civic Touring but Honda dealers would not budge one cent from MSRP. I've never purchased a car for anything higher than invoice price, so after a few minutes of making sure they really didn't want to deal, I left. I ultimately ended up back at Acura and got my '16 ILX Tech ASPEC. Got it for way under invoice.

Since the RDX is so hot now, might have to wait 6+ months for the supply to increase. When you see 20+ RDXs sitting on the dealer lot then you know a deal can be made.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I can't think of a brand where I haven't seen this happen... well maybe the exotics world... can't say I've had much/any experience in those dealerships... I get the feeling they jack prices on wanted models too... if a Ferrari dealer had a LaFerrari in its dealership, I get the feeling it might be up for sale for a few dollars more than msrp... if you could even find one in a dealership, that is.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:47 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
My dealer actually offered the $1K off loyalty discount without my asking, which surprised me. And after I asked for a Red A-Spec, which I would imagine some dealers might actually charge "additional dealer mark-up" on since they are apparently hard to get. Overall, my dealer was pretty cool about it, letting me play around with the car multiple times before we sat down for the paperwork part of the deal - which is always so exciting.

For a car with so much pre-release press, and such a radical change from the previous year, I think the fact that they are offering financing and loyalty discounts at all is surprising. I would advise not going in there demanding discounts and letting a deal come together organically if you are indeed serious about getting one this early in the cars availability.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:58 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
For a car with so much pre-release press, and such a radical change from the previous year, I think the fact that they are offering financing and loyalty discounts at all is surprising. I would advise not going in there demanding discounts and letting a deal come together organically if you are indeed serious about getting one this early in the cars availability.
There has been a lot of good press on the new RDX but that is typically the case with any new vehicle. We on this forum are more in tune to it, most people don't know there is a new RDX and don't care. New vehicles come out all the time. I'm glad to see the Acura offering promotions, this is a hotly contested segment and Acura needs to compete.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:17 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by DWG
There has been a lot of good press on the new RDX but that is typically the case with any new vehicle. We on this forum are more in tune to it, most people don't know there is a new RDX and don't care. New vehicles come out all the time. I'm glad to see the Acura offering promotions, this is a hotly contested segment and Acura needs to compete.
I’m thinking they learned a lesson with the Accord. Honda thought they could sale on looks and emotions alone. Glad to see they came out with guns blazing water the RDX.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I don’t expect much before Christmas, and only if, by then, the dealers have a number of them on the lot.

OTOH, it will be hard to sell a 45K RDX when one might get into a less equipped X3 or Q5 for near the same money.
19RDX (06-03-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The car is hot right now. They can and should charge what they want. They should be careful though. With incentives, the other cars they typically undercut can do that to them instead. My USAA buying service says it could have me in an 2018 X3 with equivalent RDX Advance features (executive, convenience, driver assistance, and premium packages, plus leather and premium sound) for $47k. I've been waiting on the RDX, but if my lease was up now instead of 6 months from now, I'd probably jump on that deal. I wish I could look ahead 6 months and see how everything will be priced. I'm hoping the RDX regains the price advantage by then.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:28 PM
Drifting

If one can get an acceptably optioned X3 for roughly the same price as an acceptable RDX, it will be tough on Acura.

I just did, like Warren, above, a build of an X3 with the options that I wanted, and it came in at 48K. It had nav, all the driving assistance stuff, leather ventilated and heated seats, and more. Giving up the HUD, but keeping dynamic dampers, and replacing the panoramic roof with a regular sunroof still makes an excellent car.

For roughly the same price, I would take the Bimmer. Acura has to measurably beat that price. 2 or 3K isn’t enough, IMO.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not sure specifically how you've optioned it, but a similarly-equipped X3 (compared to the Advance package) rings in at about $58k MSRP.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NightWriter
I'm not sure specifically how you've optioned it, but a similarly-equipped X3 (compared to the Advance package) rings in at about $58k MSRP.
I used the USAA car buying service, which captures market data and sometimes tacks on additional USAA incentives. I built an X3 that has all of the features of the Advance aside from remote start (BMW doesn't offer this, but does allow for remote climate control through its app) and I came in at $57,870 MSRP and $48,031 USAA member pricing. So if I was going to go out and buy a car today, the RDX would have no price advantage, and having driven an X3 (2016) as a loaner before, it'd be hard for me to pass on that. But I haven't driven the new RDX and I'm hearing great things. I also just love the look of the RDX Aspec, more than the X3 for sure, though I'm not sure yet that I can say that about the Advance model.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:59 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by warrenj3139
I used the USAA car buying service, which captures market data and sometimes tacks on additional USAA incentives. I built an X3 that has all of the features of the Advance aside from remote start (BMW doesn't offer this, but does allow for remote climate control through its app) and I came in at $57,870 MSRP and $48,031 USAA member pricing. So if I was going to go out and buy a car today, the RDX would have no price advantage, and having driven an X3 (2016) as a loaner before, it'd be hard for me to pass on that. But I haven't driven the new RDX and I'm hearing great things. I also just love the look of the RDX Aspec, more than the X3 for sure, though I'm not sure yet that I can say that about the Advance model.
A new generation X3 was introduced in 2017 as a 2018 model, so if you drove a 2016 X3, you should check out the new one, which has been getting very good reviews. With a $10,000 discount, it would be a good deal compared to the fairly low discounts being offered on the new RDX.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:59 AM
Drifting

I expect that after the first rush, the market will adjust to an RDX price where it is suitable. How much less than an X3 or a Q5 would a similarly equipped RDX have to be? IMO, at least 5-7 grand.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I expect that after the first rush, the market will adjust to an RDX price where it is suitable. How much less than an X3 or a Q5 would a similarly equipped RDX have to be? IMO, at least 5-7 grand.
Right. I know there's a separate thread shredding the new QX50 from Infiniti so I won't veer off too much in that direction, but I honestly can't figure out their strategy. Aside from the base (no feature) models, a QX50 actually costs more by a fair amount than what you can get an X3 or a Q5 for. Heck, a fully loaded QX50 is comparable price-wise to a very well equipped X3 M40. I don't understand the strategy or who is buying that car, though I did see a new one on the streets near me recently so someone is.

At least Acura is avoiding that misstep.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts
I missed that thread so I'll join you here. I test drove the QX50. Beautiful inside, but the engine felt underpowered (compared to the RDX), and the CVT was garbage. And the pricing, indeed, seems silly.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 AM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

I’m just saying...
I'm not exactly sure what the people you're referring to were trying to accomplish but if they walked into an Acura dealer and were expecting to get the new RDX down from MSRP excluding any incentives or rebates then they are idiots. This is going to happen for a while as we're going to go through several cycles here. My wife and I were shopping to replace her CX-5 GT lease looking at the heavily discounted leftover 2018's but only the base model RDX's were left. No Tech or Advance trims. Not even AcuraWatch. So there's been an inventory shortage on top of the pent up hype for the new generation, especially for those coming off lease with a current RDX. The next cycle will be when people start seeing these things on the road, especially in A-Spec trim.(I haven't seen any yet) The first impression oooh and ahhh's will drive another wave of people to dealers to check them out.
I expect the 2019's to continue selling close to MSRP at least until the end of the year. Unless by some wild happenstance fuel prices shoot up exponentially to shift U.S. buying habits more towards cars again instead of SUV's. Unlikely, but anything is possible(especially after seeing the 2006-2008 turmoil).
Old 06-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When gas prices go up to astronomical prices again, this RDX will cool down in a hurry especially with ~20 mpg and premium gas which will push away potential buyers. At this point, if you want performance in a SUV to compete with the Germans and dont care about fuel cost, RDX is looking good with their price point.

I'm going to wait for the hybrid RDX if they ever wise up and build one.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Volvo Defector

Originally Posted by NightWriter
I missed that thread so I'll join you here. I test drove the QX50. Beautiful inside, but the engine felt underpowered (compared to the RDX), and the CVT was garbage. And the pricing, indeed, seems silly.
I saw the new QX50 at the NY auto show and inside an Infiniti dealer. It's a sharp looking SUV on the outside and the interior is also much improved. But I agree, that new variable 2.0T with the CVT is just not a good combo in this competitive market. The 0-60 is around 6.5 or so I believe according to Car & Driver which is about average for this segment.
I still think it will sell well however as most soccer moms don't care about sporty driving dynamics (New RDX, X3, GLC, Stelvio, etc.)
Old 06-05-2018, 09:22 AM
Volvo Defector

Originally Posted by Notte
When gas prices go up to astronomical prices again, this RDX will cool down in a hurry especially with ~20 mpg and premium gas which will push away potential buyers. At this point, if you want performance in a SUV to compete with the Germans and dont care about fuel cost, RDX is looking good with their price point.

I'm going to wait for the hybrid RDX if they ever wise up and build one.
The Sport hybrid MDX has been lauded as "the" trim MDX to get according to all the car mags since its faster to 60, handles better, and gets better fuel economy than the regular 3.5L. This setup in the RDX would be interesting but I'm not sure what engine they would use. The 3.0L in the hybrid maybe a bit too heavy/big for the RDX. Unless they run a higher compression version of the Honda 1.5T with a DCT and hybrid motors powering the real wheels for extra combined power.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
same observation here. The much acclaimed variable compression engine is sidelined by the Nissan corporate CVT-too bad.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
The Sport hybrid MDX has been lauded as "the" trim MDX to get according to all the car mags since its faster to 60, handles better, and gets better fuel economy than the regular 3.5L. This setup in the RDX would be interesting but I'm not sure what engine they would use. The 3.0L in the hybrid maybe a bit too heavy/big for the RDX. Unless they run a higher compression version of the Honda 1.5T with a DCT and hybrid motors powering the real wheels for extra combined power.
Agreed with the sentiment on the MDX hybrid (likely one reason why they are in short supply). Car & Driver did say the hybrid underperformed the gas model in real world highway driving, but the bump in city mileage is the real advantage.

I'm also holding out hope for a hybrid MDX (one dealer thought it might be 2-3 years out).
Old 06-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Drifting

I simply cannot fathom anyone preferring the CVT with a totally new concept in engines for the price of the QX50. At least not someone who cares about the driving. But a heck of a lot of people don’t really care how so thing drives; just look at all the Nissans out there already.

I do wonder whether the touchpad will turn off some of the tech averse people out there. I know of at least four people who would be in the market for this level of car who might be turned off by having to learn something so unusual. I learn tech stuff easy, and this touchpad seems to have much to offer, but I will have to wait to see how my wife takes to it. She was thoroughly intimidated by the iDrive and the electronic gearshift lever in my 5er. But she drove an MT for 30 years and uses her cell phone, iPad, and Kindle proficiently.

There is a lot of tech, and a steep learning curve to deal with.

Quick Reply: What’s with this “go pound sand” attitude I’m hearing people are getting from dealers