Weird entertainment and drive mode glitches

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Exclamation Weird entertainment and drive mode glitches

The other day I was driving and my screen started to flash every few seconds, saying something like "Drive mode unavailable", not sure if that's exactly what it said. When I turned the drive mode knob the message would come up again and I couldn't change drive mode, it wouldn't even display on the screen. It did this my entire 25 mile commute. After I parked I restarted the car and it seemed to work fine. Now today on my way to work when trying to change Siriusxm stations with the steering wheel mounted scroll wheel I got the error message of "System Error - Function Unavailable" and it wouldn't change the station. Persisted until I restarted the vehicle. Weird errors, anyone else getting these and is there any kind of recall or fix for this?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Racer

Also it seems that Carplay doesn't turn on about 1/3 of the time after connecting my phone, I have to disconnect and reconnect and then it works.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
eek. I hate these issues....
Old 01-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
me too

Originally Posted by spinedoc777
The other day I was driving and my screen started to flash every few seconds, saying something like "Drive mode unavailable", not sure if that's exactly what it said. When I turned the drive mode knob the message would come up again and I couldn't change drive mode, it wouldn't even display on the screen. It did this my entire 25 mile commute. After I parked I restarted the car and it seemed to work fine. Now today on my way to work when trying to change Siriusxm stations with the steering wheel mounted scroll wheel I got the error message of "System Error - Function Unavailable" and it wouldn't change the station. Persisted until I restarted the vehicle. Weird errors, anyone else getting these and is there any kind of recall or fix for this?
Yes, I have experienced what you have experienced. First the dimmed/bright screen with "drive mode change not available", and then intermittent navigation signal. Turning off engine, exit the car, wait for 15 min, and restart the car fixed it. Then, from time to time, if I start the car with the Navigation is on the main screen with XM on the right, even after 5 minutes into the drive, I would get System Error - Function Unavailable" when changing favorites with the thumb wheel. Switching to FM and then back would fix this issue.

Since my free XM subscription ended least weekend, I now listen to FM or USB drive. It appears to be fine with FM regardless of starting the car with navigation on the main screen or not, but similar issue with USB audio. When I turn off the engine with USB drive connected and the Navigation on the main screen, a few hours later starting the engine and I would get "initializing..", but USB drive would never get initialized unless I unplug/re-plug the drive. When this happens, I am not able to turn off the audio. When doing so, the options on the screen are audio ON or OFF, but I could only select ON.

The dimmed/bright screen with "drive mode change not available" has not reoccurred, but I could duplicate the audio issue easily.

I have upgraded the infotainment from 1.0.4 to 1.0.7 around 12/15 and when this happened, there is no other devices connected to the system. I have also factory reset it a bout a week ago and that did not fix the issue (with the XM at that time). It has been 4 days since I sent a ticket via Acura owner's site, and have not heard back from them. I am going to report this to the dealer this weekend.

Last edited by subin; 01-09-2019 at 02:12 PM. Reason: adding more info
The following users liked this post:
spinedoc777 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 AM
Racer

Back from the dealer, I reported the screen went dim and then bright issue with drive mode change not avail, the Adviser told me that the Technician hooked up a diagnostic computer to it and did not find any error code and I am up to date with the software so they did not update it again. For some reason, the USB audio now plays fine and no issue changing song with the thumb-wheel for the past 6 trips. I am still tracking this, but I now wait until the system boots up before putting in the gear and using the thumb controls.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I have decided to do a full shutdown before shutting off the car. If I have Carplay going, I switch the music to FM, and then turn it iff. I go to the Acura home screen, and pull the carplay cord out and leave the USB empty. I try to have absolutely nothing running before I shut down, like closing all programs on my PC before turning it off.

And I let it boot fully before I start any infotainment stuff when I start off. Kind of a PITA, but but I want to reduce errors as much as I can.
37tzee (01-22-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 04:20 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
I do the same thing with the exception of switching from Car Play to FM. I just turn off the audio system and then unplug my iPhone and turn off the car. When I get in I let the infotainment system boot up completly, unlock my iPhone, then plug it in, and then answer the AcuraLink App questions. It has reduced the system bugs significantly.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had the "System Error - Function Unavailable" for switching Sirius XM via the steering since I picked up the RDX in October. I've always been on D1.07. This error is not related to Drive mode unavailable as best I know. I've not had the latter … yet
Old 01-13-2019, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by PRM-RDX-3G
I've had the "System Error - Function Unavailable" for switching Sirius XM via the steering since I picked up the RDX in October. I've always been on D1.07. This error is not related to Drive mode unavailable as best I know. I've not had the latter … yet
I’ve noticed that the steering wheel controls don’t start to work until XM boots fully. I also get ‘no favorites’ until it is already running.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by subin
Back from the dealer, I reported the screen went dim and then bright issue with drive mode change not avail, the Adviser told me that the Technician hooked up a diagnostic computer to it and did not find any error code and I am up to date with the software so they did not update it again. For some reason, the USB audio now plays fine and no issue changing song with the thumb-wheel for the past 6 trips. I am still tracking this, but I now wait until the system boots up before putting in the gear and using the thumb controls.
Well, a day later, shutting off the car with USB audio playing and restarting the car about an hours later, a couple of times, the system showed "initializing" and would not play USB audio. unplug/replug the USB drive solved the issue.
A couple of times, it would play USB audio, but I was not able to change songs (play next) using the thumb wheel nor the touch pad. To solve, this, I would go to the Menu, find the folder and select "play all".

It is interesting that my Dealer acknowledged the brake noise without hesitation, but said nothing about the buggy infotainment system...
Old 01-14-2019, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by subin
Well, a day later, shutting off the car with USB audio playing and restarting the car about an hours later, a couple of times, the system showed "initializing" and would not play USB audio. unplug/replug the USB drive solved the issue.
A couple of times, it would play USB audio, but I was not able to change songs (play next) using the thumb wheel nor the touch pad. To solve, this, I would go to the Menu, find the folder and select "play all".

It is interesting that my Dealer acknowledged the brake noise without hesitation, but said nothing about the buggy infotainment system...
Yes I have to unplug and plug my ipod or USB stick every time I turn the car on. Dealer said my ipod is out of date but it worked fine before the 1.0.7 update.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:11 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Same

Same thing for me. I also started seeing the "Drive mode change unavailable". I noticed it would pop up and disappear about every 10 minutes during an hour drive. On my vehicle, it just started randomly without me pushing any buttons, starting any functions. Just driving w/Bluetooth playing a podcast..
Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
I’ve gotten the drive mode unavailable twice since the update. It should be noted that the car still changes drive modes. It’s not an issue with the function of the car. What is unavailable is the graphics on the screen, you know the car with the modes showing to the left. Incidentally this is one of the more noticeable changes from 1.04 where the modes were listed on the bottom. My guess is it’s a booting error.

Both times It happened to me I plugged my phone in during boot up which likely interrupted the boot process for that specific executable. I would suggest letting the system load fully and plug phones in last. I was just in a hurry and needed to charge my phone.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:39 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Yesterday I got the “drive mode unavailable” and the nav screen kept flipping from what I would call day and night view. It was the middle of the day, so really didn’t need night view. I also didn’t have anything plugged in to the car to cause anything to be interrupted.

Billy
Midnight Mystery (05-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Racer

The infotainment system is driving me NUTS! To add to the above stuff, now I'm having issues playing music. When I'm connected to SiriusXM and plug in my iPhone to Carplay the SiriusXM mutes, but it's still active as the source, so no sound at all. When muted like this and I press the apps button it just says I have no favorites saved. The only way to fix it is to go to apps, choose another source, then choose SiriusXM then I get sounds and have access to my favorites. That only works until a Carplay alert such as Waze comes through the speakers, then instead of lowering the volume and playing the carplay alert it just mutes again! This happens 100% of the time the first time I connect my phone to the car via usb, and after that it happens on and off but not 100%. I haven't changed any settings on my iPhone or the vehicle, it just started a couple of days ago randomly.

WTF ACURA >!!??!?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
The infotainment system is driving me NUTS! To add to the above stuff, now I'm having issues playing music. When I'm connected to SiriusXM and plug in my iPhone to Carplay the SiriusXM mutes, but it's still active as the source, so no sound at all. When muted like this and I press the apps button it just says I have no favorites saved. The only way to fix it is to go to apps, choose another source, then choose SiriusXM then I get sounds and have access to my favorites. That only works until a Carplay alert such as Waze comes through the speakers, then instead of lowering the volume and playing the carplay alert it just mutes again! This happens 100% of the time the first time I connect my phone to the car via usb, and after that it happens on and off but not 100%. I haven't changed any settings on my iPhone or the vehicle, it just started a couple of days ago randomly.

WTF ACURA >!!??!?
The infotainment systems is definitely a weak spot for them at this point. Has to much instability (AKA we are beta testers).
Old 01-22-2019, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For iPhone users, today Apple released an minor update that may help Car Play issues.

iPhone 12.1.3 release notes:
iOS 12.1.3 includes bug fixes for your iPhone or iPad. This update:
  • Fixes an issue in Messages that could impact scrolling through photos in the Details view Addresses an issue where photos could have striped artifacts after being sent from the Share Sheet
  • Fixes an issue that may cause audio distortion when using external audio input devices on iPad Pro (2018)
  • Resolves an issue that could cause certain CarPlay systems to disconnect from iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
Old 04-10-2019, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Is there any new mews on this problem? This is driving me crazy. It’s like DAYTIME!! Nighttime ! “Drive mode not available”, little circle going round and round. I’m going crazy. Gas/ oil dilution and this problem.this car is turning into s#%t.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by billyt1963
Yesterday I got the “drive mode unavailable” and the nav screen kept flipping from what I would call day and night view. It was the middle of the day, so really didn’t need night view. I also didn’t have anything plugged in to the car to cause anything to be interrupted.

Billy
Got the same issue today. Turned off, waited 15 minutes and it's still there.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I must be a lucky person with my car. I haven't had any issues with the infotainment system at all. I'm sure there are issues but I haven't had any. There is room for improvement though.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wargor
I must be a lucky person with my car. I haven't had any issues with the infotainment system at all. I'm sure there are issues but I haven't had any. There is room for improvement though.
You must be. I have a new issue every week. I've never even used Apple carplay or streaming. Maybe they figured out the issues on the newest builds. Mine was July 2018 and it's been a complete nightmare. At least 10 dealer visits and cases opened with Corporate. I don't know what else to do I can't take a 10k loss trading it in.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Njbrandon
You must be. I have a new issue every week. I've never even used Apple carplay or streaming. Maybe they figured out the issues on the newest builds. Mine was July 2018 and it's been a complete nightmare. At least 10 dealer visits and cases opened with Corporate. I don't know what else to do I can't take a 10k loss trading it in.
Consider filing for lemon, 10 documented visits for the same problem would qualify. Start with that and see how your dealership response
spireview (05-06-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 07:26 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Info probs

All known issues. See recent TSB. First year car. Beta testers, etc. I will pick one up about 2023 after ( if) problems are resolved. I was a Beta tester for the '14 RLX - never again - I lived at the dealership.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:35 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Damn...after 6 months or so of zero problems...the electronics issue finally got me. As noted above....'drive mode unavailable' when I had not even done anything...screen was on nav at the time and kept going dark and coming back...drive mode message was on bottom of screen and then not, and then back again. I tried changing the drive mode just to see what would happen and it was like it didn't even exist. Made a stop, turned off engine. Restarted and it was happening again. One more stop a few minutes later and restarted and seemed fine. Seems to me the RDX first came out in June of 2018 or thereabouts and has had maybe two software updates since. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there would be at least a few more updates in what is almost a year. Otherwise...all is great!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:34 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happened to me today. Was not using my iphone, just listening to AM radio. Very frustrating, I recorded it happening....it seems to happen every 30 seconds. R. white.....Which TSB is it? I like the 2019 RDX, but between this and the hesitation when accelerating from a stop (something i never worried about with the 2008 RDX), I'm a little underwhelmed.
Funz51 (06-05-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 12:22 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've experienced every one of the glitches mentioned in this thread with my 2019 RDX A-Spec. Really frustrating, the infotainment system is verrrry full of bugs. What is surprising is Acura doesn't seem to be releasing updates to fix any of the issues we are all experiencing.
Funz51 (06-05-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by gqchicago
I've experienced every one of the glitches mentioned in this thread with my 2019 RDX A-Spec. Really frustrating, the infotainment system is verrrry full of bugs. What is surprising is Acura doesn't seem to be releasing updates to fix any of the issues we are all experiencing.
Then please file a claim through the Class Action Lawsuit and attempt to do something about it
Old 05-22-2019, 08:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Happened to me yesterday and 2 other times

“Driver mode change not available”! As it keeps fading in and out. Nav can’t determine day or night mode. All responses are delayed. DRIVING ME CRAZY! Oh and proximity view doesn’t work and have to rely on sound. Contacted My Acura dealer through fb msgr but haven’t heard anything. I attached a link to this so they know I am not the only one and this is an ongoing issue.
Funz51 (06-05-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Racer

I'm now getting the "Function not available" error when trying to change XM stations with the wheel almost EVERY single time I drive, I'd say easily 9/10 times. The only way to fix it is to choose another source like bluetooth, then choose XM again and then it works until the next time I start the vehicle. Otherwise it's been pretty stable, although today my carplay did not want to stay connected for some reason, it kept kicking me off and then reconnecting carply on the infotainment unit for some reason.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
The "Function not available" can be cured quickly and easily by turning the power to the radio off (either the steering wheel control or the volume knob) and then back on. Clears the error, but as you say, only until you start the car again.
spinedoc777 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 11:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MT-RDX
The "Function not available" can be cured quickly and easily by turning the power to the radio off (either the steering wheel control or the volume knob) and then back on. Clears the error, but as you say, only until you start the car again.
Thanks! Will give that a try.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:44 PM
10th Gear

Response from Acura fb msgr

Originally Posted by Rdxshawd4wifey
“Driver mode change not available”! As it keeps fading in and out. Nav can’t determine day or night mode. All responses are delayed. DRIVING ME CRAZY! Oh and proximity view doesn’t work and have to rely on sound. Contacted My Acura dealer through fb msgr but haven’t heard anything. I attached a link to this so they know I am not the only one and this is an ongoing issue.
”need to set up an appointment with the service department”
When I go I am going to show them this thread. I have a feeling they won’t be able to duplicate it and think I am making up stuff.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:51 PM
10th Gear

Follow up sort of

I called to make an appointment and told the service rep. the problem. He said Acura is working on making an update to solve the problem. I guess they are aware of it. Going to wait for the update before I go in.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:29 AM
5mins2disney.com

There is a class action lawsuit in the works over all of these issues. It’s takes about 5 minutes of your time to join it. Suggest you do.

Although Acura may be “working on it” they don’t have a very good track record of getting out updates that actually fix the problem, and there is also a thread where someone stated not to expect another update until end of year.

For me this means about a year of constant problems and similar issues.

The whole point of this would be to get them to fix the issues and take it with higher priority
Old 05-23-2019, 09:56 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Apps on my phone get updated every day. No, I don't want updates on my RDX every day, but two updates (?) in a year and since the cars intro does seem pretty...lazy....disinterested...squirrel!!!
Love my RDX, but how does a responsible company with generally great reputation and a new-ish car and audio system not be all over this?
Old 05-23-2019, 10:08 AM
10th Gear

Link?

Originally Posted by gqchicago
There is a class action lawsuit in the works over all of these issues. It’s takes about 5 minutes of your time to join it. Suggest you do.

Although Acura may be “working on it” they don’t have a very good track record of getting out updates that actually fix the problem, and there is also a thread where someone stated not to expect another update until end of year.

For me this means about a year of constant problems and similar issues.

The whole point of this would be to get them to fix the issues and take it with higher priority
Trying to find the link to join the lawsuit but all I can find is an article
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...er-complaints/
By chance do you have the link for us to join?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:19 AM
5mins2disney.com

Originally Posted by Rdxshawd4wifey
Trying to find the link to join the lawsuit but all I can find is an article
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...er-complaints/
By chance do you have the link for us to join?
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...%2A%2A-979452/
Old 05-30-2019, 07:47 PM
Racer

Crap you guys jinxed me. Out of all the infotainment issues I was having I never had an issue with Carplay connecting. Now it's randomly disconnecting and reconnecting multiple times per trip! I've checked the power cord and also cleaned out the connector on my iphone, still same issue and it all started a few days ago randomly.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:05 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Can't wait 'til they come out with Android Auto so that I can have these problems.
Alias1431 (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:16 AM
Racer

Exclamation

So after doing a factor reset my infotainment system is REALLY fubared. Did the factory reset last night, while setting up XM it disconnected and reconnected Carplay and I thought worst was I just went back to square 1. Went to sleep and didn't think more on it. So today I get in my car and hook up my phone, seems to connect to Carplay with no issues. 5 minutes later I stop for gas, keep the car on and when leaving the gas station Carplay disconnects, except this time it won't reconnect. I was listening to a podcast and heard a beep and that's when the audio and carplay all shut off. So I physically disconnect the phone and reconnect it and now it says that Carplay cannot work on this device and asks if I want to permanently disable it! Tried multiple times and same result, also deleted phone from the carplay menu and deleted the vehicle from the iphones menu and repaired them again, still same result with the same error message.

Oh it gets worse. So at this point I'm driving and just want music. I try to tune to XM and there are no stations on the tuner, after a few seconds I get an error message that says "Check Tuner". So I try to get into FM radio and I forget the error message but it was something to the effect that it was not available!! By this point I'm at work and I do the 3 finger reboot, on the service menu I notice that every single item (except rear camera) is red meaning its not connected. After reboot things get even worse, now on my home menu there is NO XM or FM icon!!! WTF is going on now? I turn the car off, disconnect everything and turn it back on, I get the circle dot animation for a solid 2-3 minutes before it boots up and still no XM or FM in the home menu. And of course Carplay still doesn't work.

I just cannot believe that garbage like this makes it into a "luxury" vehicle, I'm flabbergasted. I will try and reset it tonight but I suppose it's going to need a dealer visit to get it sorted out.

Quick Reply: Weird entertainment and drive mode glitches