In vehicle WiFi Tethering questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
In vehicle WiFi Tethering questions

I searched, but I'm not very good at using the correct terms, and didn't find what I was looking for here.
If there is another thread that already has my info, please direct me or move this thread. Thanks!

So, in my quest to make sure I had everything set properly to get the latest (missing) system update, (which I later received an email saying is delayed), I came across the WiFi Hotspot tethering settings. I have it turned on, and can connect my cell phone via WiFi to the car.

Questions:
1. Why would I want to do this, unless i was very short on my monthly cell phone data plan?
2. Does it cost? How much? Or is it free for a limited period of time? If so how long? (Somewhere I read it is AT&T, but I use Verizon)
3. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to leaving it set as "enabled" or "disabled"? (or is it "active and "inactive"?)
4. Is this somehow a better way to get the eventual system updates?

I've read about these in vehicle WiFi systems but never really understood the purpose. other than to create a WiFi hotspot. I assume most folks these days have a data plan on their phones.

Thanks for any enlightenment!!

Last edited by JB in AZ; 02-16-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:11 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
AFAIK the "tethering" option is to allow your infotainment system to connect to the internet using your cell phone's data plan. This would be useful for updates, for instance, if you don't have access to an external WiFi signal.

AFAIK you don't need to create a local WiFi hotspot with your phone to make this work; you just need to connect the phone via Bluetooth ( or USB? ). But I could be wrong.

Creating a local WiFi hotspot with your phone and then connecting the car to the hotspot as a client should also work.

These options are separate from the subscription in-car WiFi system available through AT&T. I see little reason to consider that service unless you have multiple video addicted passengers to entertain. I think it's kinda the latest thing to entertain the kiddies; each gets their own tablet or phone. DVDs and ceiling screens are soooo last decade.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Mainly, the use would be if you had kids or passengers with iPads / Amazon Fire Tablets / etc.

Doing tethering on your phone can be spotty and isn't always on -- i.e. if a device is asleep, most iPhones will put tethering on a sleep mode and won't allow the device to connect unless you go into the settings on your phone. While just having hotspot on the car will always be "on."
Old 02-19-2019, 11:34 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
I agree this is a benefit of the subscription in-car WiFi service using the car's cellular device ( TCU or "telematics unit" ).

"Internet tethering" is an option in the setup on the car's infotainment system. But now that I look at the OM ( pages 300-301 ), I think you may have to enable a WiFi hotspot on the phone to make it work. And AFAIK this connection will only allow the car's infotainment system to be a client; it will not allow it to act as a router to enable an in-car WiFi hotspot. I think each device would have to connect to the phone's hotspot on its own. But I could be wrong ( again ).

I still think the "internet tethering" option is primarily a mechanism for downloading OTA updates if you don't have access to an external WiFi signal.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:22 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by OliveBread
Mainly, the use would be if you had kids or passengers with iPads / Amazon Fire Tablets / etc.
This is what I thought too.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:48 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by OliveBread

..."
Originally Posted by Sounds
This is what I thought too.
This makes sense, As I mentioned in my OP, it seems to have only specific (limited) value. Thanks. I can't think of too many situations where t would be a benefit to me.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
FWIW, I was never able to get the ‘free’ ATT wifi trial to work. A call to Acura resulted in them telling me to call ATT. A call to ATT about my free trial resulted in them telling me I needed an ATT network login and contract.

So, seeing I was going to have to jump through hoops, I just dropped the whole thing. I never did figure out why it was needed in the first place, since my wife and I both have phones.