Two Japanese Prototypes are on their way! 2019 RDX vs. QX50!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 05:17 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I'm surprised no one else is concerned about the new variable compression engine Infiniti wants to release. I'm hoping it is a reliable success story, but it seems with all new tech these days, that simply won't be the case.
I don't know - their DAS worked great out of the box so there's no reason to think this will have any problems
Old 02-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
interesting read and on topic: https://www.digitaltrends.com/car-re...i-qx50-review/
Old 02-01-2018, 03:42 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by SK1124
Thanks for that link, the animation for how the VC linkage works was very interesting. It sure seems like a lot of added parts and complexity though and I never did see where the crankshaft was connected?

Motor Trend is out with their first test drive report today.

2019 Infiniti QX50 First Drive: Back On Target - Motor Trend
Old 02-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by GW208
Thanks for that link, the animation for how the VC linkage works was very interesting. It sure seems like a lot of added parts and complexity though and I never did see where the crankshaft was connected?

Motor Trend is out with their first test drive report today.

2019 Infiniti QX50 First Drive: Back On Target - Motor Trend
So looks like they re-used their nav from 2006 again. They also made it so that bottom screen is not touch and instead relies on hard buttons on the sides to function (looks like we’re going back to 90’s and early 2000’s screen technology). If the transmission wasn’t enough to put me off, and that engine wasn’t enough to put me off, and that interior wasn’t enough to put me off, then that infotainment setup would seal the deal. Good luck to infiniti, I really hope this sells amazingly and they can continue to improve. Fingers crossed the FX/QX70 will not follow in this things foot steps.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:07 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Jalopnik review wasnt exactly stellar.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-infini...lle-1822448774
Old 02-01-2018, 08:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
My all time favourite reviewers Alex posted his review. But let me tell you one things guys: Alex is extremely bias towards Infiniti cars. I love the guy and he provides one of the best and complete reviews out there but I did notice on serveral occasions that he has a soft side for Infiniti brand.
Few flaws in his recent QX50 review:

1. Completely ignored that the car doesn’t offer CarPlay
2. Gave 9/10 for front seats (usually he would give 7 or max 8 for those kind of seats).
3. Didn’t bash CVT at all
4. He didn’t say a word about two screens
5. He ignored the fact that the Navi is from 20 year ago lol
6. The lack of nice digital speedometer and old design

please share you thought. I felt that way and I might be wrong.

Last edited by Tony Pac; 02-01-2018 at 08:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (02-04-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:02 PM
AZ Community Team

Just to add a few more flaws: he kept saying this is he best suv lol! He should have really compared it to NX, RDX, Q50, GLC, X3, and so many other cars that are fighting in this segment.
He did mentioned these other suvs but in a very light manner. I am disappointed. Sorry folks!
Old 02-02-2018, 08:47 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Another review which overall seemed fair: https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the...ew/2100005088/
Old 02-02-2018, 09:30 AM
AZ Community Team

I am sure the car isnt bad. And I am not saying reviewers should bash it. But this is a brand new car, reliability is unknown. The new engine is a complete surprise. It could go either way...hit or miss.

The fact that Alex did not find any flaw in the car is funny. He is very honest in his reviews but he did 3 reviews for Q50 and now just praising the QX50 without mentioning so many fundamentals issues that this car has seemed funny to me.

Here people wanted to murder Acura for not offering carplay 2 years ago and for their 2 screens with an outdated navi. Now in 2018, Infiniti still has these issues.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (02-02-2018), Comfy (02-04-2018), pyrodan007 (02-05-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
My all time favourite reviewers Alex posted his review. But let me tell you one things guys: Alex is extremely bias towards Infiniti cars. I love the guy and he provides one of the best and complete reviews out there but I did notice on serveral occasions that he has a soft side for Infiniti brand.
Few flaws in his recent QX50 review:

1. Completely ignored that the car doesn’t offer CarPlay
2. Gave 9/10 for front seats (usually he would give 7 or max 8 for those kind of seats).
3. Didn’t bash CVT at all
4. He didn’t say a word about two screens
5. He ignored the fact that the Navi is from 20 year ago lol
6. The lack of nice digital speedometer and old design
https://youtu.be/06DMhqImz4s

please share you thought. I felt that way and I might be wrong.
This is so funny that you posted this, I literally JUST watched his review. Did you notice how he mentioned the RDX for a little bit and really I felt what he said about the RDX was accurate. I also noticed that he seemed to gloss over a lot of things and when he does his usual materials overview (what is soft touch and what is cheap plastic) he completely skipped over it. He never talked about the infotainment setup at all, whatsoever, he is usually very honest and I admit he really was reluctant to say anything negative. Hard buttons to control a screen is literally from the 90’s playbook, any reviewer worth his shit would point that out and he didn’t. I wonder if he was paid by infiniti/flown out and that’s why he avoided saying anything. Also I noticed that 9/10 seat score and was surprised because it looked to me like it only had a 2 way lumbar support on a vehicle costing between 45-65k? So yes I actually fully agree that I feel he was not being honest and unbiased as usual.

Assuming the engine does well, I still think it’s going to sell well. Your average buyer could not care less about what is under the hood. They will see the good fuel economy numbers and that’s all that really matters. The new RDX is going to shit all over this thing EASILY. Just from a looks and design perspective alone, the RDX wins in my book.
RDL1 (04-07-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 08:51 PM
AZ Community Team

100% agreed with you!!! This was by far the weakest review by Alex
it seemed to me he was paid for this review and he just had to say the positive aspects of the car and ignore the rest.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:22 AM
Suzuka Master

100% agreed with you!!! This was by far the weakest review by Alex
it seemed to me he was paid for this review and he just had to say the positive aspects of the car and ignore the rest.
He was for sure paid for this review, he made it seem like the most amazig thing ever and the way he talked about the variable compression engine made it seem like the best thing ever created and he totally neglected to mention that it is a completely untested technology with the potential of being super expensive to repair. I’m very dissapointed in this review. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt because he sometimes does preliminary reviews that are like this and then in a secondary review really goes more in depth (though doesn’t usually change his stance much). Other reviews on it seem to be much more honest though.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by RDX10

He was for sure paid for this review, he made it seem like the most amazig thing ever and the way he talked about the variable compression engine made it seem like the best thing ever created and he totally neglected to mention that it is a completely untested technology with the potential of being super expensive to repair. I’m very dissapointed in this review. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt because he sometimes does preliminary reviews that are like this and then in a secondary review really goes more in depth (though doesn’t usually change his stance much). Other reviews on it seem to be much more honest though.
Well said!
Alex is still one of the best reviewers out there, so I respect him a lot. His reviews are for people that buy cars and want to know about comfort, space, security and value.

As I mentioned previously, he does have a very soft side for Infinities and I am fine with it. I have never seen him criticizing Infiniti brand. He put the brand above BMW (watch is Q50 reviews). I hope this is one odd case and he doesn't start taking money and just give a fake reviews. We can live with him being biased towards Infiniti.
ostrich (04-07-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Well said!
Alex is still one of the best reviewers out there, so I respect him a lot. His reviews are for people that buy cars and want to know about comfort, space, security and value.

As I mentioned previously, he does have a very soft side for Infinities and I am fine with it. I have never seen him criticizing Infiniti brand. He put the brand above BMW (watch is Q50 reviews). I hope this is one odd case and he doesn't start taking money and just give a fake reviews. We can live with him being biased towards Infiniti.
Yes totally agreed. He has the best reviews out there, really goes over the car with a fine tooth comb to the point where I feel like I am literally driving the cars just through his reviews. I guess we’ll have to forgive him when he does Infiniti reviews because otherwise he’s pretty dependable. I can’t wait to see his review on the new RDX.
Tony Pac (02-05-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10

This is so funny that you posted this, I literally JUST watched his review. Did you notice how he mentioned the RDX for a little bit and really I felt what he said about the RDX was accurate. I also noticed that he seemed to gloss over a lot of things and when he does his usual materials overview (what is soft touch and what is cheap plastic) he completely skipped over it. He never talked about the infotainment setup at all, whatsoever, he is usually very honest and I admit he really was reluctant to say anything negative. Hard buttons to control a screen is literally from the 90’s playbook, any reviewer worth his shit would point that out and he didn’t. I wonder if he was paid by infiniti/flown out and that’s why he avoided saying anything. Also I noticed that 9/10 seat score and was surprised because it looked to me like it only had a 2 way lumbar support on a vehicle costing between 45-65k? So yes I actually fully agree that I feel he was not being honest and unbiased as usual.

Assuming the engine does well, I still think it’s going to sell well. Your average buyer could not care less about what is under the hood. They will see the good fuel economy numbers and that’s all that really matters. The new RDX is going to shit all over this thing EASILY. Just from a looks and design perspective alone, the RDX wins in my book.
To add, the loaded RDX will also be a better price point than the QX50 !