Two Japanese Prototypes are on their way! 2019 RDX vs. QX50!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Two Japanese Prototypes are on their way! 2019 RDX vs. QX50!

RDX and QX50 are called prototypes but they are almost production ready! Acura is claiming that RDX is built on a new exclusive Acura platform, new fully interior design and is the most spacious vehicle in this segment. Infiniti is claiming that QX50's is built on a all new platform and world's first VC Turbo production. After all, this is all marketing!

Let's hear from Acura fans and non fans what they have to say about these two vehicles that will fight in the same segment....There is no doubt that both vehicles look promising and great! I just believe Acura's interior looks more upscale and up to date than Infiniti. The exterior design is subjective...depending on the angle both cars are impressive!
Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2018, 09:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I would not want to be the guinea pig for the Infiniti's variable compression turbo engine. Sorry. But it's waaaaay too new of technology with no previous examples out there. What could go wrong? Lots. hahaha.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the new RDX more both interior and exterior. It has more of a squarish stance which I like and the interior looks very modern. I hope they give us some nice interior color choices as well. Also there is the German X3 competitor, although the value that Acura brings for all the features it has is great.
The new X3 as I understand doe snot even have blind spot monitoring as standard.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hulk369
I like the new RDX more both interior and exterior. It has more of a squarish stance which I like and the interior looks very modern. I hope they give us some nice interior color choices as well. Also there is the German X3 competitor, although the value that Acura brings for all the features it has is great.
The new X3 as I understand doe snot even have blind spot monitoring as standard.
Sadly, blind spot monitoring is not standard in the new RDX either.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:32 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I thought the Infiniti QX50 prototype was a pretty nice package.... until the new RDX prototype came out!! LOL! There seems to be so much more interest and positive reaction to the RDX prototype than the Infiniti QX50 prototype. Then again, I may well be biased because I drive an Acura after all... LOL!

Joking aside, I think that the new QX50 will be a strong contender in this segment, but the new RDX will probably come out on top as a surprise winner here in this crowded and competitive segment.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ostrich
I thought the Infiniti QX50 prototype was a pretty nice package.... until the new RDX prototype came out!! LOL! There seems to be so much more interest and positive reaction to the RDX prototype than the Infiniti QX50 prototype. Then again, I may well be biased because I drive an Acura after all... LOL!

Joking aside, I think that the new QX50 will be a strong contender in this segment, but the new RDX will probably come out on top as a surprise winner here in this crowded and competitive segment.
I happen to like the look of the new QX50 as well. But the navigation looks so outdated, which is particularly bad considering they still won't be offering android auto which is a big let down for me.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 874 Likes on 669 Posts
It’s not even a comparison IMO. The second nissan thought it was ok to put a CVT in it was the second I was done with it. They have a good RWD platform and a good 7 speed transmission and instead they choose to put a CVT in it? Not to mention that variable compression engine has nightmare written all over it (at least for now it does). From a styling point of view, I would say it is a wash. I see Mazda CX5 in both the RDX and QX50 except both the infiniti and the Acura do it MUCH better.
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (02-05-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 02:37 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New QX50 has some appealing exterior design features, particularly the new wheels. The interior is really gunning for a luxury feel, which is wise given the larger appearance of the car. When I saw it at the LA Auto Show the proportions felt nearly mini-van ish. I'm also very turned of by the two screen lay out. Acura nailed it here with the 2019 RDX. I cant wait to give it a test drive this summer!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:40 AM
AZ Community Team

So far based on the reviews and articles the new RDX really stole the show from the Detroit auto show. I think Infiniti will struggle to compete with Acura here (at least in this segment).
I do agree with most of you that the two screen, especially one integrated is just outdated and very 2000ish. But the seats and dash look premium, I give that to Infiniti.

Acura just surprised everyone with the new RDX...I watched a video last night where the their Lead Project talks about the car and honestly this is more than 95% production ready. This is the car that we will get minus side mirrors and tires lol. I have one concern and that's the 1:1 touchpad. If Acura nailed that, then this is a home run!
Old 01-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
So far based on the reviews and articles the new RDX really stole the show from the Detroit auto show. I think Infiniti will struggle to compete with Acura here (at least in this segment).
I do agree with most of you that the two screen, especially one integrated is just outdated and very 2000ish. But the seats and dash look premium, I give that to Infiniti.

Acura just surprised everyone with the new RDX...I watched a video last night where the their Lead Project talks about the car and honestly this is more than 95% production ready. This is the car that we will get minus side mirrors and tires lol. I have one concern and that's the 1:1 touchpad. If Acura nailed that, then this is a home run!
I hate when manufacturers feel the need to fix something that is not broken, see button shifter and now this touch pad thing too. I obviously can’t say it works well or not, but early consumer reports comments mentioned that it can be annoying ro use while in motion. I had zero issues with the old dial setup they were using in the older Acura products and think it would have worked well here too. Lincoln and ford tried the whole touch buttons crap and learned fast that it is not the right way to do it. On that same token I see range rover (of all companies) has now adopted the 2 screen setup (of course they do it MUCH better than Acura did) so sometimes manufacturers just like to move things around and sometimes they do a much better job. The fact it is 1-1 mapping mind of means it’s like you’re using the touch screen directly and I can live with that. So long story short, if it works like I think it will then it’s ok but if it’s finicky then it was a fail on their part.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Team Owner

Don't fear change. Embrace it. You'll end up living a much happier life. Change is not a bad thing.
Tony Pac (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

Is this the QX50 interior? Because if so, it looks awful.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:36 PM
AZ Community Team

The design is bad but the quality seems good. The biggest issue with the interior is that it's already outdated. It doesn't look fresh and not following the market trend. Infiniti wants to show that their design is unique but unfortunately it just doesn't click.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Don't fear change. Embrace it. You'll end up living a much happier life. Change is not a bad thing.
I don’t fear change (I change my car multiple times a year lol). I do however fear changes that don’t make things better.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:43 PM
AZ Community Team

I just realized something. Infiniti copied Volvo's nobs and design for QX50 but it failed lol
Old 01-25-2018, 08:29 PM
Uber-Acura-Oakley

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was considering the new QX50 but as soon as I heard it was going to have a CVT, it was no longer on my radar.

Already stopped by my local Acura dealership where I bought my 1st gen RDX and asked my original salesperson (wow, he is still there) to keep me posted as to when they are going to take pre-orders.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:03 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I really haven't looked deeply into the all new QX50; but, it looks more like competition to the 2nd Gen RDX? It looks like it lines up perfectly with 2nd Gen RDX as far as features, power, tech, and styling. I can't wait until they do a complete comparison test with all others in the segment. The only issue I'm worried about is final pricing. This segment is really starting to get crowded and price will be very important because of so much out there from Audi, BMW, Alfa, Jag, and M-B, along with Domestic luxury brands from GM and Ford. I can see some serious discounts if the 3rd Gen RDX sells the same as the 1st Gen RDX.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RDX10
I don’t fear change (I change my car multiple times a year lol). I do however fear changes that don’t make things better.
"better" is in the eye of the beholder. If you fear the change and don't like it, you're going to say it's not better.

personally, that shifter is the least of my worries. It's different than what we have been used to for the past 60 years. But it's no better or worse.

this conversation could easily go the other way. Push button transmissions are nothing new (they were around a very long time ago), but they were never implemented in the way they are today, simply because the technology did not exist. But if it did, we could be singing the exact opposite tune. "Why are they putting this big hand knob shifter in, trying to mimic a manual transmission- which we know it isnt- instead of keeping the same button setup we have been using for 50 years?"

and in that regard, the handle shifter now seems like a bad change. Again. Don't fear change. Embrace it. You've been used to a certain setup, across so many cars for so long, anything else seems absurd now. But is it really?

Last edited by TacoBello; 01-26-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I really haven't looked deeply into the all new QX50; but, it looks more like competition to the 2nd Gen RDX? It looks like it lines up perfectly with 2nd Gen RDX as far as features, power, tech, and styling. I can't wait until they do a complete comparison test with all others in the segment. The only issue I'm worried about is final pricing. This segment is really starting to get crowded and price will be very important because of so much out there from Audi, BMW, Alfa, Jag, and M-B, along with Domestic luxury brands from GM and Ford. I can see some serious discounts if the 3rd Gen RDX sells the same as the 1st Gen RDX.
I can't imagine what would cause sales to plummet from the 2G RDX. The vehicle is an upgrade in many regards over the existing RDX. You're right- the segment is packed- but it is also luring new buyers in every year.

by the end of the day, if the looks, reliability and value are there, people will buy. It just depends on the value proposition. But I get the feeling Acura knows that and will price accordingly. I guess time will tell!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I can't imagine what would cause sales to plummet from the 2G RDX. The vehicle is an upgrade in many regards over the existing RDX. You're right- the segment is packed- but it is also luring new buyers in every year.

by the end of the day, if the looks, reliability and value are there, people will buy. It just depends on the value proposition. But I get the feeling Acura knows that and will price accordingly. I guess time will tell!
I’ve been holding this comment back for a while now because it’s highly subjective but I think the current RDX is WAY over priced for what you get so this 3G should stay within a few hundred of the current model. The current RDX offers a garbage AWD system, old 6 speed auto, and nothing really that signals to me it is worth the 53k asking price in Canada. The rear doors are almost all hard plastic (the santa fe and Sorento have soft materials on the upper half of all 4 doors), no pano roof, no heated steering wheel, old ancient navi tech, no surround view camera, plain leather (no nappa or milano option). I suppose the 2016 models are slightly more worth it but the 2013-2015 models were quite sad IMHO. Sitting in and driving the numerous loaners I was always questioning what made it worth 47k (usually had tech package RDX’s). When you compare the 2G RDX to the Q5...etc you can call it a value option because it’s a bit cheaper and offers similar tech for a lower price but to me the 2G was not comparable to the Q5...etc. Like I said above, this is fully subjective and simply my personal opinion so if anyone feels offended by my comment then I appologize because that’s not my intention.
fiatlux (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
The QX50 isn't a prototype anymore... however when it was a prototype.... it did get a lot of attention and so did the production version when that rolled out at the LA autoshow.

Production of the QX50 has already started and it goes on sale next month... there are currently over 10,000 reservations for it so far.

So... we'll see
Old 01-26-2018, 08:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by randomRon82
The QX50 isn't a prototype anymore... however when it was a prototype.... it did get a lot of attention and so did the production version when that rolled out at the LA autoshow.

Production of the QX50 has already started and it goes on sale next month... there are currently over 10,000 reservations for it so far.

So... we'll see
thanks for the update.

10,000 reservation??? wow. That's amazing for Infiniti. what did you get this number?
Old 01-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Is this the QX50 interior? Because if so, it looks awful.
wow, this is awful.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
I think Infiniti did what they could to make the exterior unique without offending the eyes as Lexus has been doing. For the most part, the styling works. I sat in the QX50 in Detroit, and I thought the interior looked better in the photos. The bigger issues are the mechanical bits. The CVT alone could be a deal-breaker, but throw in the run-flat tires and unproven engine tech, and I probably won't even take a test drive.

The RDX Prototype impresses, but it will be toned down. The stance won't be as aggressive, wheel gaps will likely increase, and the front and rear fascias will be tweaked. Still, even in production trim it should look better than I expected it to, and the return of SH-AWD definitely puts the RDX back on my list. They're a little bigger and a little thirstier, but the new Nautilus and Edge ST are on that list, too. (I just LOVE that 2.7T!) The RDX and FoMoCo platform-mates should all be arriving about the same time as the RDX.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I think Infiniti did what they could to make the exterior unique without offending the eyes as Lexus has been doing. For the most part, the styling works. I sat in the QX50 in Detroit, and I thought the interior looked better in the photos. The bigger issues are the mechanical bits. The CVT alone could be a deal-breaker, but throw in the run-flat tires and unproven engine tech, and I probably won't even take a test drive.

The RDX Prototype impresses, but it will be toned down. The stance won't be as aggressive, wheel gaps will likely increase, and the front and rear fascias will be tweaked. Still, even in production trim it should look better than I expected it to, and the return of SH-AWD definitely puts the RDX back on my list. They're a little bigger and a little thirstier, but the new Nautilus and Edge ST are on that list, too. (I just LOVE that 2.7T!) The RDX and FoMoCo platform-mates should all be arriving about the same time as the RDX.
The CVT made it so that I would most likely not even consider it, but that engine more than seals the deal. In terms of the Nautilus and edge st vs the RDX, I have to admit it really depends on the performance. IME ford products don’t really equate to what the performance numbers suggest. I.e the current MKX has that 2.7 twin turbo engine and does 0-60 in 6.8 seconds.....that engine has 380 lb/ft!!! I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt and blaming it on that 6 speed, I can’t wait to see performance numbers for the Nautilus. I am expecting it to jump (drop?) to mid 5’s 0-60.
pyrodan007 (02-05-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Infiniti is seriously lost. The design is just horrible and has been for some time.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

The CVT made it so that I would most likely not even consider it, but that engine more than seals the deal. In terms of the Nautilus and edge st vs the RDX, I have to admit it really depends on the performance. IME ford products don’t really equate to what the performance numbers suggest. I.e the current MKX has that 2.7 twin turbo engine and does 0-60 in 6.8 seconds.....that engine has 380 lb/ft!!! I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt and blaming it on that 6 speed, I can’t wait to see performance numbers for the Nautilus. I am expecting it to jump (drop?) to mid 5’s 0-60.
The current Edge Sport makes the trip to 60 in 5.6 to 5.8 seconds. Throttle response is immediate and surprisingly smooth. The bump in power and torque combined with the new gearbox should return even more impressive numbers. The Nautilus will probably be a few ticks behind due to its higher weight, but I don’t think it will feel underpowered at all. I’m still surprised Lincoln isn’t using the even more potent 3.0T. Why go to the trouble of developing a Lincoln-exclusive engine if you’re not gonna use it?Modern 4-cylinder turbos can provide good numbers as well, but the experience is very different. Hopefully Acura finds the refinement other automakers have not.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Infiniti is seriously lost. The design is just horrible and has been for some time.
I don’t understand why infiniti is doing as poorly as they are. I think the cars look great and the 3.0TT is a sweet engine. RWD platforms too. I understand that the infotainment is complete crap but otherwise I just don’t get it.

The current Edge Sport makes the trip to 60 in 5.6 to 5.8 seconds. Throttle response is immediate and surprisingly smooth. The bump in power and torque combined with the new gearbox should return even more impressive numbers. The Nautilus will probably be a few ticks behind due to its higher weight, but I don’t think it will feel underpowered at all. I’m still surprised Lincoln isn’t using the even more potent 3.0T. Why go to the trouble of developing a Lincoln-exclusive engine if you’re not gonna use it?Modern 4-cylinder turbos can provide good numbers as well, but the experience is very different. Hopefully Acura finds the refinement other automakers have not.
The Edge has always been slightly faster than the MKX due to weight but I am actually super surprised that it is a whole second+ faster to 60. I agree, they really should drop in that 3.0TT and further differentiate it from the Edge. I was expecting them to do that for the facelift so I’m dissapointed to see they haven’t done that. If the edge is doing 0-60 in 5.6 with that archaic 6 speed then I can’t wait to see what it does with the 8 speed. I know the MDX from 2007-2009 was doing 0-60 on 7.2-8.5s and the facelift 2010 model with the 6 speed has been recorded going to 60 as fast as 6.3 seconds. I feel that transmissions can have a MASSIVE impact on performance so it should be much improved in the edge. Edge ST with sub 5 0-60? I’m in!!
Old 01-29-2018, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
I don’t understand why infiniti is doing as poorly as they are.
Please explain to me how Infiniti is doing so "poorly" when 2017 was the eighth consecutive global sales record... the company is rapidly expanding into new markets across the globe... while yes it's trailing Acura in the US market by a mere 1,187 sales it's not solely focusing on the US (sounds pretty strategic to me)... I predict since they're so close, Infiniti will overtake Acura in the US this year anyway... so not only will Infiniti have greater numbers in the US they will continue to grow in the other markets (that Acura chose not to expand into). Globally the sales for 2017 were 246,492. So, again... I'm a little puzzled how the company is doing so "poorly" as some of you assume. It's taking them a little time to gain momentum but they're gaining it... and they're at least trying. And as far as design, I've yet to hear anything but positive about their current design language and I've seen and read tons of reviews of the current products so I'm a little puzzled about that as well.

INFINITI achieves eighth consecutive global sales record

Btw, the QX50 is now up to 10,696 reservations (it's on the website)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I don’t understand why infiniti is doing as poorly as they are. I think the cars look great and the 3.0TT is a sweet engine. RWD platforms too. I understand that the infotainment is complete crap but otherwise I just don’t get it.

The Edge has always been slightly faster than the MKX due to weight but I am actually super surprised that it is a whole second+ faster to 60. I agree, they really should drop in that 3.0TT and further differentiate it from the Edge. I was expecting them to do that for the facelift so I’m dissapointed to see they haven’t done that. If the edge is doing 0-60 in 5.6 with that archaic 6 speed then I can’t wait to see what it does with the 8 speed. I know the MDX from 2007-2009 was doing 0-60 on 7.2-8.5s and the facelift 2010 model with the 6 speed has been recorded going to 60 as fast as 6.3 seconds. I feel that transmissions can have a MASSIVE impact on performance so it should be much improved in the edge. Edge ST with sub 5 0-60? I’m in!!
I test drove the Edge Sport and MKX back-to-back. There was a subtle but noticeable difference in acceleration, but honestly it didn't feel like a full second to me. I did feel the shifts in the Edge a little more, so I think Lincoln programmed the gearbox to prioritize smoothness over acceleration. If so, that could certainly explain the performance delta.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by randomRon82
Please explain to me how Infiniti is doing so "poorly" when 2017 was the eighth consecutive global sales record... the company is rapidly expanding into new markets across the globe... while yes it's trailing Acura in the US market by a mere 1,187 sales it's not solely focusing on the US (sounds pretty strategic to me)... I predict since they're so close, Infiniti will overtake Acura in the US this year anyway... so not only will Infiniti have greater numbers in the US they will continue to grow in the other markets (that Acura chose not to expand into). Globally the sales for 2017 were 246,492. So, again... I'm a little puzzled how the company is doing so "poorly" as some of you assume. It's taking them a little time to gain momentum but they're gaining it... and they're at least trying. And as far as design, I've yet to hear anything but positive about their current design language and I've seen and read tons of reviews of the current products so I'm a little puzzled about that as well.

INFINITI achieves eighth consecutive global sales record

Btw, the QX50 is now up to 10,696 reservations (it's on the website)
Did someone piss in your cereal this morning? Take a chill pill and calm your ass down. I was talking about perception of the brand. Numerous times on here (specifically this forum) I read that infiniti products are not that great...etc and if you bothered to think before you wrote you would see I was saying I really like the brand and think the products are really good but did not understand why people keep on saying they are not good. I did not say they are not good. So calm your ass down and take several seats. Oh and I am not from the U.S so I don’t suffer from “The U.S is the center of the universe syndrome” like you’re trying to say I do.

I test drove the Edge Sport and MKX back-to-back. There was a subtle but noticeable difference in acceleration, but honestly it didn't feel like a full second to me. I did feel the shifts in the Edge a little more, so I think Lincoln programmed the gearbox to prioritize smoothness over acceleration. If so, that could certainly explain the performance delta.
I can understand that softening the shifts and the added weight would lead to the performance delta, that completely makes sense to me. I’m really hoping that they keep the stronger shifts with the new 8 speed, and with the added power of the new ST trim we should see some very nice numbers! I’m excited!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:04 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Every time I've seen those big Infinitis on the road, in a parking lot, etc, they owners have been amazingly awful douchebags.

If somehow, they call got towed to a junk yard and crushed, that would be a wonderful day (the cars, not the people). I've always hated SUVs, seems so selfish to drive/own them, but these [Infinitis] are somehow the worst of the worst, either they bring out the worst in their owners somehow, or the owners just shouldn't be let out of their houses without adult supervision.

EDIT: Oh, anyway, it's the big QX60 I'm talking about, not the QX50 - is that a more moderately sized vehicle? Nevermind then...

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-29-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:35 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
The main reason would never own an Infiniti. This new RDX will be at the top of the mid-size premium SUV's.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:31 AM
mrgold35

You would think Honda and Acura would be grouped together a little closer like Lexus/Toyota and Infiniti/Nissan? The real test will be this current year results since Honda and Acura are using almost the exact powertrain and electronics
Old 01-31-2018, 07:52 AM
AZ Community Team

I think there was a misunderstanding. I personally don't think Infiniti vehicles are bad. Infiniti/Nissan brands are a completely different that what they were 10 years ago. I agree that Infiniti sales has improved drastically in the past 3 years (I know it says 7 years but the last 3 years are significant). Last year Infiniti and Acura sold almost the same numbers of cars in the US. I think this is a huge achievement for them. Based on previous years Infiniti was always behind in terms of sales compared to Acura.

That said, Infiniti is struggling the same way as Acura. They are far behind in terms of design, prestige and reliability. One of the biggest reasons Infiniti sales are improving: HUGE DISCOUNTS!!!
Infiniti is extremely aggressive in therms of lease pricing and giving up to $10K discount on cash purchase. I am not saying that Acura doesn't do that but way less than Infiniti.

To conclude, both brands are good in their respective ways but so far the new RDX is definitely a winner based on reviews and videos.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:29 AM
mrgold35

I read a lot of those car mags like Car and Driver and Road and Track. Both Infiniti and Acura has really fallen out of favor with the last and current Gen of vehicles with any comparison test with sedans or SUVs. Even Lexus is barely making the cut for most comparison test with Caddy, MB, Audi, Alfa, BMW, or even Jag. The only thing the big USA and European auto makers have in common is a $75,000-$100,000 halo car based off the sedan model (CTS-V, ATS-V, Audi S and RS, MB AMG, BMW M, Jag SVR, Giulia Quadrifoglio). That might be the price of admission to the big dance for Infiniti and Acura to get respect?
Old 01-31-2018, 08:38 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I think there was a misunderstanding. I personally don't think Infiniti vehicles are bad. Infiniti/Nissan brands are a completely different that what they were 10 years ago. I agree that Infiniti sales has improved drastically in the past 3 years (I know it says 7 years but the last 3 years are significant). Last year Infiniti and Acura sold almost the same numbers of cars in the US. I think this is a huge achievement for them. Based on previous years Infiniti was always behind in terms of sales compared to Acura.

That said, Infiniti is struggling the same way as Acura. They are far behind in terms of design, prestige and reliability. One of the biggest reasons Infiniti sales are improving: HUGE DISCOUNTS!!!
Infiniti is extremely aggressive in therms of lease pricing and giving up to $10K discount on cash purchase. I am not saying that Acura doesn't do that but way less than Infiniti.

To conclude, both brands are good in their respective ways but so far the new RDX is definitely a winner based on reviews and videos.
You're too kind. I can't believe the trash coming out of infiniti right now. The G35/G37 were great, but this? Come on now.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by kurtatx
You're too kind. I can't believe the trash coming out of infiniti right now. The G35/G37 were great, but this? Come on now.

Not it's not about being kind. He mentioned sales and I agreed with him in terms of sales numbers.

But in terms of prestige, reliability, resale value and design Infiniti is not impressive at all. The era of G is over and Infiniti is selling 400HP car for the price of 275-300HP. that shows that their are very aggressive and willing to do anything to make a sell.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:34 PM
Team Owner

I'm surprised no one else is concerned about the new variable compression engine Infiniti wants to release. I'm hoping it is a reliable success story, but it seems with all new tech these days, that simply won't be the case.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:06 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm surprised no one else is concerned about the new variable compression engine Infiniti wants to release. I'm hoping it is a reliable success story, but it seems with all new tech these days, that simply won't be the case.
I project it goes 2 ways, it is either a reliability success story and posts amazing fuel economy and performance. Or it is a massive flop and this ends up being one of those engines/cars that nobody will ever touch with a stick. I have to say it’s a poor choice for Infiniti to take a chance with new tech like this. If toyota does a big mistake, nobody would really blink. If Inifiniti (or Acura for that matter) make a big mistake it has a much bigger effect. Gotta say this is risky.

Quick Reply: Two Japanese Prototypes are on their way! 2019 RDX vs. QX50!