Transmission warm-up?

Old 01-30-2019, 10:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Transmission warm-up?

So I too am experiencing the jerky cold transmission shifting. Until some kind of factory fix (recall) comes I've seemed to have solved it by some testing. First it reminded me of my 62 Chevy when it was low on trans fluid. Driving around a corner feels like it's some kind of slipping and then finally oil gets into the converter and jerks into gear. However I've come to this conclusion on my RDX it's either the converter is low on oil because of it being cold or oil is cold and is having trouble being circulated. My fix for my RDX is put the trans in sport+ and hold trans in 1st or 2nd with paddle shifters for 30 seconds of slow driving to get fluid moving and through the trans and then put back in the comfort mode. For me it seems to eliminate the jerky shifting when it's cold.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas RDX
So I too am experiencing the jerky cold transmission shifting. Until some kind of factory fix (recall) comes I've seemed to have solved it by some testing. First it reminded me of my 62 Chevy when it was low on trans fluid. Driving around a corner feels like it's some kind of slipping and then finally oil gets into the converter and jerks into gear. However I've come to this conclusion on my RDX it's either the converter is low on oil because of it being cold or oil is cold and is having trouble being circulated. My fix for my RDX is put the trans in sport+ and hold trans in 1st or 2nd with paddle shifters for 30 seconds of slow driving to get fluid moving and through the trans and then put back in the comfort mode. For me it seems to eliminate the jerky shifting when it's cold.

interesting, im curious if we checked our trans fluid levels if it would be low at all, although there is no dipstick, could pull the fill plug and feel how high the oil comes in it
Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Your suggestion reminds me of my old Nissan 240sx. Horrible tranny and bad jerk between 1 and 2. I basically had to slow drive the car and let the gear run high as much as possible and back off the gas when you feel the switch coming.

I have test driven about four different RDX at dealerships. None of them exhibits the jerk shift. Maybe because they were all warmed up or driven really hard.