Transmission Issue - From Stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 04:25 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Transmission Issue - From Stop

Hi all,

I’ve noticed if I don’t come to a complete (1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi) stop the transmission seems to not get down to first gear. Then when I try to accelerate it’s extremely slow going. Sometimes I will push it harder and drops quickly into first at high RPMs.

Anyone else experience this?

Maybe the software is still learning?

Joe
Old 11-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What drive mode are you in when you feel this? I get that feeling too when I'm in anything but sport+. I think its designed to keep revs down so it wont shift to first unless you stop.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:44 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by joeliu2003
Hi all,

I’ve noticed if I don’t come to a complete (1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi) stop the transmission seems to not get down to first gear. Then when I try to accelerate it’s extremely slow going. Sometimes I will push it harder and drops quickly into first at high RPMs.

Anyone else experience this?

Maybe the software is still learning?

Joe

Too many gears and tuened to fuel efficiency... My Kia Optima 6AT does this... I have to either come to a complete stop for a second, otherwise, it'll just ride 3rd, then kickdown and rev 4500 rpm in 1st, when all I really wanted was it to gently row through 1st and 2nd, shifting around 2-3k rpm...

My 2007 RDX isn't like this with it's 5AT... It's always in the right gear coming out of a right turn, or where I had to yield, and the torque comes on strong, therefor, if it's in 2nd, a downshift isn't necessary... It's not as stupid as to use 3rd all of the time...

Hate that on my Optima, great way to neuter an otherwise peppy engine....

And I have no be honest, glancing at the one Mississippi, two Mississippi, I thought you were here in Mississippi...
Old 11-02-2018, 05:23 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Hahaha naw I’m in Chicago

Thanks for the thoughts - I am in sport mode 90% of the time.

Coming from a BMW, I’m starting to see some blemishes on an otherwise great car.

Shifting is the most concerning, but there are some little quirks with the infotainment as well.

Overall, I’d assume a big step forward for Acura, but still not quite at the luxury performance level.

Joe
Old 11-02-2018, 05:37 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Now try saying it: " M - I - crooked letter - crooked letter - I - crooked letter - crooked letter - I - humpback - humpback - I " ( like we did when we were kids crossing the bridge over the mighty Mississippi River )( but we lived in MN so we were a little weird ).

That should give it plenty of time to sort itself out...

But seriously, mine was like that when it was brand new, but either I'm getting used to it or it is smoothing itself out.

OTOH I think it's like some of the horses I have ridden. A good swift kick in the ribs is sometimes more effective than gentle prodding. Just be careful about what you ask for!
Old 11-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
It’s called, STOP. Not roll. 😂
Old 11-02-2018, 08:22 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Wander
Now try saying it: " M - I - crooked letter - crooked letter - I - crooked letter - crooked letter - I - humpback - humpback - I " ( like we did when we were kids crossing the bridge over the mighty Mississippi River )( but we lived in MN so we were a little weird ).
I'm from NOLA, if you do that while driving accross the river, you'll be completely out of breath by the time you get there!!!
Old 11-03-2018, 03:40 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Gtclav
What drive mode are you in when you feel this? I get that feeling too when I'm in anything but sport+. I think its designed to keep revs down so it wont shift to first unless you stop.

Sounds like the OP is rolling toward a stop, so what is that 3mph, 5mph? I would think that the transmission should consider that 1st gear range and not require you to come to a complete stop to engage 1st gear, otherwise the driveability suffers (feels like the car has no acceleration). Anybody watch the tach while accelerating from a stop to see at what rpm/mph the 1-2 shift happends?
Old 11-03-2018, 04:14 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by ednigma
Sounds like the OP is rolling toward a stop, so what is that 3mph, 5mph? I would think that the transmission should consider that 1st gear range and not require you to come to a complete stop to engage 1st gear, otherwise the driveability suffers (feels like the car has no acceleration). Anybody watch the tach while accelerating from a stop to see at what rpm/mph the 1-2 shift happends?

My Optima is exactly that way... I've watch it before, and put it in maual to confirm, and it will coast 3rd until a complete stop, then drop to 1st... And if you're doing a touch and go, right turn, u-turn or yeilding without stopping, it will take off in 3rd, and to get more power, it will downshift to 1st and take off like crazy, no in between...

I only see this getting worse as transmissions keep getting more gears... Just my
Old 11-03-2018, 05:39 AM
2022 MDX Advanced

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
My Optima is exactly that way... I've watch it before, and put it in maual to confirm, and it will coast 3rd until a complete stop, then drop to 1st... And if you're doing a touch and go, right turn, u-turn or yeilding without stopping, it will take off in 3rd, and to get more power, it will downshift to 1st and take off like crazy, no in between...

I only see this getting worse as transmissions keep getting more gears... Just my
Yeah I think that is what is happening.

Its really too bad, as it’s quite an annoying drivability experience. That’s one thing BMW just nails - always in the right gear and smooth.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:12 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by joeliu2003

Yeah I think that is what is happening.

Its really too bad, as it’s quite an annoying drivability experience. That’s one thing BMW just nails - always in the right gear and smooth.
Sorry about that, man...

Maybe there will be a way to tune the tranny... If not now, than maybe in the future...

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 11-03-2018 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Sorry bout datv