TINT!! Which is best??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 02:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TINT!! Which is best??

Anyone know which tint brand best matches the factory tint? Looking to tint the 2 front windows to match the rear windows... I've been quoted Xpel, Llumar pinnacle series, and huper optic tints, all in ceramic.
what are your thoughts?
Old 10-13-2018, 05:09 AM
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts
I believe tint is tint, the difference is the quality and the warranty. As long as you choose the exact percentage to match, it should match up. The stock windows are tinted 18%, so as long as you choose 18% tint, they should pretty much match. I went with 25% Suntek tint on mine because I feel 18% is too dark and I might get pulled over.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
I went with Llumar Ceramic at 35% as that is the LEGAL limit here in FL. Check your local laws because people do get pulled over for tinting too dark. When I lived in VA, it was 50% and VA State Police we're super strict. You can't just pick your percentage without understanding the laws in your state.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:52 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vvlien
I believe tint is tint, the difference is the quality and the warranty. As long as you choose the exact percentage to match, it should match up. The stock windows are tinted 18%, so as long as you choose 18% tint, they should pretty much match. I went with 25% Suntek tint on mine because I feel 18% is too dark and I might get pulled over.

Do you find that the color of the factory tint matches the front tints? Really want something that best matches. Some are greener than the others and grayer.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

I find the Llumar to be a perfect match and I have no complaints. Nice charcoal color and no green or bronze hues.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:11 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Over the decades, I've found that the type of tint (dyed, carbon impregnated, metallic, ceramic, etc.) has more to do with the quality than the brand or warranty. Most any ceramic will do just fine these days, although some shops hype it up with a "lifetime" warranty and charge a ridiculous price for it. Metallic seems to have fallen out of favor to ceramic and dyed (the stuff that used to turn purple after a year or two) has generally been replaced by carbon. The truth is most any tint installed by a reputable shop these days will generally last longer than the vast majority of owners keep the vehicles before trading them in for a new one. I've been using FXtreme2 from Solar FX installed by a decades-old local tint shop for many years. I remember when it used to be $140 for a whole car. Now, it's $100 for just the front two windows.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-17-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
I had my front windows tinted with SunTek CIR, 20%. The ceramic really does an amazing job keeping the heat away.

There's a tint guy here that has nothing but 5-star reviews dating back past 2009. I trust his opinion and experience by a lot, and leaned on what he recommended.

He also had a good recommendation. If you get pulled over, ever, just roll down all the windows. Cops can be sketched out by tinted windows.

Before:

After:

Last edited by OliveBread; 10-13-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:07 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Here in Houston tint is critical. On my TLX I have 3M Crystalline. I picked it because of the heat and UV rejection per % of light transmission. In other words, it gives the best protection without being too dark. I'm not really looking to have dark windows, but I want the best protection. It also has very good optical properties. I tinted my windshield with a different product (can't remember the brand) because 3M did not come in 80%. This tint has poor optical properties and I'm thinking about replacing it with 3M Crystalline 90%. A little less protection but very little optical distortion.

edit:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2716668&rt=rud

I think I have CR50.

Last edited by Rocket_man; 10-13-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
I went Suntek CIR 40 (I think 40)

I went with Suntek CIR - I had 3M Crystalline on my TSX and it is hands down the bet tint for clarify & heat rejection...Unfortunately I found the 3M to not match well w/the stock tint - I really wish we had the option to get the car w/out tint.

Also put Suntek CIR 70 on the windshield - On another topic, does anyone find that after the windshield tint, the haadlights come on more than without tint? It might just be in my head, but I was wondering if the tint on the windshield makes the car thing its darker outside than it actually is since its blocking light & UV from the sensor? I am not sure where the sensor is though...
Old 10-17-2018, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Legally can’t tint a windshield. Look into AirFX 80...optically clear and what I use.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by knakane
On another topic, does anyone find that after the windshield tint, the haadlights come on more than without tint? It might just be in my head, but I was wondering if the tint on the windshield makes the car thing its darker outside than it actually is since its blocking light & UV from the sensor? I am not sure where the sensor is though...
On models without rain-sensing wipers, the ambient light sensor is located on top of the dash in front of the audio display. if you tint the windshield the vehicle will think there's less sunlight entering the cabin which will affect the threshold at which the headlights operate, the automatic high beam feature becomes operational, when the instrument panel lights change brightness, and how the HVAC system compensates for sun load. The lighting sensitivity can be adjusted to compensate.

On models with rain-sensing wipers, the ambient light sensor is located near the rain sensor in an area that doesn't get tinted, so it's not an issue.

Originally Posted by securityguy
Legally can’t tint a windshield. Look into AirFX 80...optically clear and what I use.
You can in some states OR with a prescription.

https://instamotor.com/blog/window-t...laws-50-states
The following users liked this post:
knakane (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 01:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by securityguy
yes, I accept the risk of having tint on my windshield...have had 50% for about 14 years and just got a ticket on my TSX a few months ago.... Thats why I did 70 on the RDX windshield - fingers crossed I won't get another for at least a decade but i accept the risk...
Old 10-17-2018, 01:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zroger73
On models without rain-sensing wipers, the ambient light sensor is located on top of the dash in front of the audio display. if you tint the windshield the vehicle will think there's less sunlight entering the cabin which will affect the threshold at which the headlights operate, the automatic high beam feature becomes operational, when the instrument panel lights change brightness, and how the HVAC system compensates for sun load. The lighting sensitivity can be adjusted to compensate.

On models with rain-sensing wipers, the ambient light sensor is located near the rain sensor in an area that doesn't get tinted, so it's not an issue.
Thanks for the info...May I ask if you know how to adjust the light sensitivity?... Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In NJ you can't tint the from drivers side/passenger side or windshield. Rest of the car you can spray paint your windows if you want.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OliveBread
I had my front windows tinted with SunTek CIR, 20%. The ceramic really does an amazing job keeping the heat away.

There's a tint guy here that has nothing but 5-star reviews dating back past 2009. I trust his opinion and experience by a lot, and leaned on what he recommended.

He also had a good recommendation. If you get pulled over, ever, just roll down all the windows. Cops can be sketched out by tinted windows.
Unless he's pulling you over FOR tinted windows.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by soesfairview
Unless he's pulling you over FOR tinted windows.
exactly..I got pulled over for tinted windows only..I didnt even have my seatbelt on and the guy didnt even notice - would have rather recd the seat belt ticket than the fix it tint ticket.