AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Thule Rack Kits (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/thule-rack-kits-976397/)

Colin Whooten 01-13-2019 03:40 PM

Thule Rack Kits

I already own Thule roof racks and ski attachments. I’ve been waiting rather impatiently for Thule to release a new foot kit, rather than me buy a whole new system. Anybody else in the same boat and have any idea how long it usually takes them to support new cars?

Wander 01-13-2019 05:32 PM

Thule makes the crossbars for the OEM accessory roof rack system. The OEM roof rails aren't difficult to install, and Acura sells crossbars that will work with Thule accessories.

( I was thinking that Thule had a foot kit for those roof rails, but I'm not finding a listing. Maybe I'm thinking of our 3rd-gen MDX ).

But don't expect to use the towers that come attached to the OEM crossbars to adapt other Thule crossbars, or use them on other vehicles. Those towers and crossbars are inseparable. I bought a pair and got surprised at how specialized they are.

My experience with the window edge clip mounting tower systems is that the roof WILL get damaged. YMMV

Flashman80 09-21-2019 03:33 PM

Just installed roof rails and wanted to know if you are able to alter the factory foot kit. Specifically are you able to remove the post that requires placement over the predrilled holes on the rail? I want to be able to widen the stance of the racks. It seems like it is possible without the posts.

Wander 09-21-2019 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Flashman80 (Post 16482752)
Just installed roof rails and wanted to know if you are able to alter the factory foot kit. Specifically are you able to remove the post that requires placement over the predrilled holes on the rail? I want to be able to widen the stance of the racks. It seems like it is possible without the posts.

The posts on the feet must engage the divots in the factory rails. Otherwise, the crossbars would not be properly secured against slipping lengthwise on the vehicle, and that would be bad. And no guarantees they wouldn't pop off vertically, which would be worse.

The plastic cover over the OEM roof rails is not intended to be clamping surface, and is not suitable for such, unfortunately.

But be aware that there are two sets of holes for the forward crossbar mounting feet. Choose the more forward set for maximum cross bar spread, and the more aft set for less wind noise.

Flashman80 09-22-2019 02:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. My assumption was that the feet of these crossbars grip both sides of the rail much like the ones sold by Thule and Yakima. Is sounds as if you are saying that the only thing holding the inside of the footing are the pins gripping into the rail holes? I was hoping to have more flexibility to push the front crossbar further forward than the front set of holes. I carry a wide range of water toys including standup paddle boards, kayak, canoe, and roof box. My old Thule racks allowed more flexibility.

Wander 09-22-2019 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Flashman80 (Post 16482963)
Is sounds as if you are saying that the only thing holding the inside of the footing are the pins gripping into the rail holes? I was hoping to have more flexibility to push the front crossbar further forward than the front set of holes.

Yes, the pins engage the steel strips that are hiding inside the plastic cover of the OEM rails.

The rails on other recent Honda/Acura vehicles are different. 3rd-gen MDX or Pilot/Passport can accept Thule towers with their fit kits. There are bolts that go into those OEM rails rather than pins.

( But the mounting positions are still constrained to the OEM sites ).

I had a similar assumption about being able to swap on Thule aerobars, using the OEM crossbar towers, but I was shocked when I got the stuff and tried.

Fortunately, I'm able to use the Thule aftermarket stuff on another vehicle, if necessary.

Also, I had already invested in a Yakima "Rack and Roll" trailer ( crossbars on wheels ) for the family fleet of Kayaks. Total back saver. I can't believe I waited so long. And it's trivial to tow, even with a wimpy OEM class I hitch ( ahem... ).