Thinking of trading in my '17 RDX (Advance) for the '19

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 11:07 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I've been buying cars for 50 years too. If you walk in cold and unprepared, they will absolutely kill you on the deal.

If you walk in totally researched and prepared, at the right time of day and month, they will moan and groan, and give you the reasonable deal. Then they will hope the finance guy can double talk you into slipping more profit into the deal.

ALWAYS go with a knowledgeable wingman and the answer to everything the finance guy wants to add is NO.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:43 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I might check out car buying services from my bank (USAA), Costco, or Sam's. I used my bank's the new car buying services and financing with m 06 TSX (I didn't have trade-in to worry about). The process was extremely easy and done over the internet for the exact make, model, and accessories I wanted (A-Spec kit, metal trim kit, rear wing). Since I was already pre-approved from USAA and had the check in hand, Honda financing offered me an even cheaper rate on the loan amount that saved me on the same monthly payments.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:45 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I've been buying cars for 50 years too. If you walk in cold and unprepared, they will absolutely kill you on the deal.

If you walk in totally researched and prepared, at the right time of day and month, they will moan and groan, and give you the reasonable deal. Then they will hope the finance guy can double talk you into slipping more profit into the deal.

ALWAYS go with a knowledgeable wingman and the answer to everything the finance guy wants to add is NO.
Nothing like experience, huh Madd Dog? Some of us are good at many things, some experts in one or two, etc. I have to say that in my case it's just not 50 yrs since I bought my first car, but, that during these past 50 yrs I have
purchased MANY vehicles. And, with experience working at 2 new car dealerships, and with a car broker friend I learned what to do and what not to do to be successful in getting what I want. I can't tell you how many dealer
GM's and Gen. Sales Mgr's have told me that..."I am NOT the typical buyer they see come in to buy." Because often I know at least as much and most times more about the vehicle I'm buying than the people working there. Seriously, I have
quizzed GM's on down about basic functions of a certain vehicle and they won't know....and I end up teaching them. I tell them, hey, you need to know the vehicle better so you can answer questions. That mostly happens with the
sales person that I get AFTER I've made my deal with one of the top 2 at the dealership. I have NOT first talked to a floor sales person in many years. KNOW who the top people are and make an appt. with them. Do not waste your
time with an on the floor sales person. Too much time wasted with going back and forth. Go to the person that can tell you right then....yes or no...or let's move the #'s a little, etc. I get messed with by those that know me well at
dealerships....and they say things like..."you back again....we lost money on your last purchase!" I look them straight in the eye and say...If that's true why did you sell me the car? LOL....they don't know how to answer that. I have
fun.
My current Acura dealer has sold me 4 vehicles and I'm seriously looking at my 5th this...June? Now all I have to do is call the GM, as I have in all of these purchases.....tell him what I want, and ask for his best price. If I feel I need
to "work him" then I will. I also get my trade priced out....VIA EMAILS! Sight unseen money I want for my trade. Why is that? I'm trusted and they know my previous trades are what I say they are. My last 2 were done that way. NO ONE
looked at my trade in!! I detailed it to the max....drove it there, parked in the front lot...and both times my trades were bought before the ink was dry on my new purchase. My next one will go the same way. AND I always ask for and get
25% off on all accessories and discounted labor to install. How about this....I've been paying COST for 3M clear bra on all of my Acura purchases....and, no lie, I get exactly what I want done. No matter how much, my price is always
the same....$450, and that's a steal...big time.

How did I get to this point of car buying "fun" and getting great deals and what I want....experience and learning not to make the mistakes I made early on in my buying career. I have a fun and great experience at my current Acura
dealership. I will say how rare it is to have a GM that runs my dealership. Such a great guy, hands on and will do whatever he can to make me happy. My recent purchase a few weeks ago....he presented my wife with a Tiffany & Co. crystal whiskey decanter!! Anybody here ever get a crystal anything from Tiffany's?? That's how much he appreciates great customers who keep coming back to him.

I laugh when I go in to the Finance person....they have to do the paperwork signing. I don't finance any longer....and when I did, I had things set up before the deal was made with my Credit Union. They already know I won't be buying
anything they have to sell, and just ask to "make sure!" I never buy warranties, or whatever the dealership wants them to push.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 04-10-2018 at 11:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
Madd Dog (04-11-2018), RDL1 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This is a fantastic post, and when I get ready for a new RDX 2019, I will follow your advice. One thing I haven't thought of is going straight to the top to the GM !
I also study cars all the time, and it is amazing that salesman on the floor do not know the autos they are selling. I think they should all have to pass a test on every vehicle they sell new before they are hired LOL. They should know the packages of each model, standard equipment etc. !
My last purchase I told the salesman that this model comes with this as standard equipment, and he didn't know what I was talking about. I too have learned to do most everything online. It saves time, and I think you come out ahead with less back and forth at the dealership. I also learned from a friend that you never discuss a trade until after you get the price on the new ride you want. When ask if I'm going to trade something, I just say at this point I'm selling it myself, then after I get the price I want on the new car, I will tell them I'm asking this for my car, are you guys interested. This works well, and I often come very close to getting what I want for my current car. I trade every few years, and don't put a lot of miles on my vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Would like to make sure I am understanding these posts correctly- when you talk about a trade in value for your current vehicle, is that for after you've negotiated a discounted sales price for the new vehicle?

Thanks
Bruce
RDL1 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 12:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BCOmega
Would like to make sure I am understanding these posts correctly- when you talk about a trade in value for your current vehicle, is that for after you've negotiated a discounted sales price for the new vehicle?

Thanks
Bruce
Yes...there are many articles on this, but here is one from CR :

Time to Talk Trade-In

Only after you agree on a price for the new car should you turn your attention to the trade-in. If you shopped it around to other dealerships, you also know what you can easily get for it. Armed with this information, there's no reason a dealership shouldn't give you at least its wholesale value as a trade-in allowance.Tell the salesperson that you simply want what you know it's worth. Provide the figures to back this up, along with printouts from several pricing sources. This defuses any attempt to pull out a used-car pricing book so the salesperson can "prove" that your figures are too high.To lowball you on the trade-in, the salesperson may again try to stall the negotiations and wear you down with frequent visits to the sales manager. Minimize this by indicating upfront that the new-car deal isn't final unless you get a good allowance on your trade-in.Remember, if the trade-in discussions become too burdensome but you're not willing to pull out of the new-car deal, you can always sell the car elsewhere. However, if you're dependent on the trade-in to make the down payment, you'll have to sell your car before you can sign a contract for the new one.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Wink

Originally Posted by BCOmega

Thanks
Bruce
For me, that is how I do it. I first am focused on the new car I'm buying. Oh, I've done my homework on the new and my trade. But, when I call whomever my contact is at the dealership, I first talk about the exact vehicle I want, I ask
about availability, I ask what their Invoice is for that vehicle....and often that Invoice is emailed to me! Yes, and I have a "folder where all things associated with that buy/trade" is put in. So, then I lock in the selling price. Then I say
so...let's talk about my trade. I email all about it....condition, miles, etc, etc. Often I'm not given a $$ figure right away....because they have to do their homework. I will later get an answer, often "close" to what I want, but, maybe a little
short. I'll counter and normally always get it. Worst case..we split the difference. I ALWAYS HAVE a bottom line figure that if that is not reached, then no deal. But, that hasn't happened in a LONG time.

Now, for those out there new at this....understand, that what I have described, well some of it, is not doable for many. Meaning, I have already established myself with a dealer due to previous multiple sales, and have gained the trust,
friendship and respect from the GM or the General Sales Mgr. So, this thing I do with emailing and getting a trade price via email is RARE and NOT the norm. So, make sure your trade is super clean inside and out when you take it
in to be evaluated. Again, most dealers will try to get your trade for as little as they can. IF you know it's true value...based on research and you know how well they sell then you have a "leg up." Always, know what YOUR numbers are
and have to be. But, I learned this. I know how far I can "push" the decision maker...before they will say...NO WAY...we can't do that. What I do, honestly, is try to be a little fair in knowing they have to make some money on that new
car sales. Yes, I know there is "incentive moneys" for the dealers to gain, but, I don't go in expecting the moon and the stars. I'm fair...to a point! LOL! When the person I am dealing with "gets it" that I'm not trying to rape them on a deal
and ask for some crazy sales price.....they then warm up to be being more open to what I want....to pay for the new car and what I want for my trade.

AND that opens up what discount I get for
any and all accessories I might want...my standard now is...25% off. And, I ask for and get reduced labor rates for installs. Now, understand, the Sales Dept. has to PAY the Service dept. for
the going rate, even though I'm getting the discounted labor...so Sales has to pick up that difference. So, that comes out of their profit for the deal I just made. As long as you are aware of how
it all works....and you don't "demand crazy" not doable #'s, then you can get what I've been getting with my deals.

It is well known in the car business, that a dealers big profits come from...used cars!.

My trade in value is done after I established what I would be paying for the new car. It's easier for me to do it that way, and frankly more "fun" to business in that way.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 04-11-2018 at 12:50 PM.
RDL1 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:07 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
One last point. When shopping for cars, car people pick the car then do the best deal they can. Other people go with the deal, and the car is secondary. My sister-in-law always leases the most stripped down 'luxury' badge she can get. She doesn't actually care if it is a Lexus, a BMW, a Mercedes, or some other badge that she can drive around in and have strangers think (in her mind, anyway) that she is wealthy. Twenty a month on a lease is a make or break for her.

Of course, an experienced salesman might be able to read this too, so never get too excited about a car. It is one thing if he thinks he is only competing against the maybe 2 or 3 Acura dealers around, it is another if he thinks he is competing with everything.
RDL1 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:14 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by RDL1
This is a fantastic post, and when I get ready for a new RDX 2019, I will follow your advice. One thing I haven't thought of is going straight to the top to the GM !
I also study cars all the time, and it is amazing that salesman on the floor do not know the autos they are selling. I think they should all have to pass a test on every vehicle they sell new before they are hired LOL. They should know the packages of each model, standard equipment etc. !
My last purchase I told the salesman that this model comes with this as standard equipment, and he didn't know what I was talking about. I too have learned to do most everything online. It saves time, and I think you come out ahead with less back and forth at the dealership. I also learned from a friend that you never discuss a trade until after you get the price on the new ride you want. When ask if I'm going to trade something, I just say at this point I'm selling it myself, then after I get the price I want on the new car, I will tell them I'm asking this for my car, are you guys interested. This works well, and I often come very close to getting what I want for my current car. I trade every few years, and don't put a lot of miles on my vehicles.
Thank you very much for the compliment! I like helping if I feel I can and have something to contribute. No ego here....I'll not write about what I don't know enough about to help.

Now, let me further inform you....making a buy deal directly from the GM of a dealership is pretty rare in this business. MOST GM's would certainly talk with you, if you make an apt, but, you won't be making a car deal with them. They will
pass you down...to maybe the General Sales Mgr....they are the #2 person in that dealership. But, if your GM won't make a deal with you, make sure you tell him/her that you want to make your purchase after sitting down with the GSM, and
not a Sales person. That let's them know where you stand, you are serious about buying a car, but, you are also serious about WHO you want to deal with. In the end, after the deal is made, they will assign a Sales person to help
you with any issues, set up the paperwork signing, help you with your accessories, etc, etc. They will get the "sale"...the commission for that sale. The GSM assigns that person based on who "needs a sale"....or could be that you know
who you want, and you make that clear to the GSM...or GM...I have done that often. Once I know a great Sales person, that's who I ask for. Again, the deal is done...it's just the follow up stuff. And that person is your contact after the sale
to help get things done...for whatever reason. I have them in my phone...to text, or call. I learn their days off too. I also have their email address.

NOTE: There are many Sales Mgrs at a dealership to help cover all shifts for the week. I don't even talk with them! Oh, one may end up sitting in when you are talking with the GSM, but not normally. But, every dealership is different.
KNOW that fact...for sure. So, what one dealer will be open to, and then another might be very strict and have no part of what you want. In other words...you have to follow their set rules for buying, etc. Those are "hard nosed dealers" and
I won't deal with them. Now, if you are in a market that does not have too many Acura dealerships within your "buying range" then that does present a problem. And, it's more so true of Acura vs a Ford or Chevy dealer. There are just
more of them to pick from...and you then can do some shopping. You can reject a crappy offer and hard nosed Mgrs....and walk out. And then start over at another dealer. I'm in a somewhat limited market, so my range is approx. 100 miles
from home.

But, what helps, is if you have established a great relationship with the personnel at a dealer and you keep returning,,, then, it gets much, much easier to make your deals. I have made deals to buy a new car that's just out
and all new and everyone wants....at a price that no one else can get, normally. Why....because it's my 3rd, 4th, etc. purchase there. Repetition gets you "favors" that the average walk in Joe won't come close to getting.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 04-11-2018 at 01:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
RDL1 (04-11-2018), ultramart (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Now, let me further inform you....making a buy deal directly from the GM of a dealership is pretty rare in this business. MOST GM's would certainly talk with you, if you make an apt, but, you won't be making a car deal with them. They will
pass you down...to maybe the General Sales Mgr....they are the #2 person in that dealership. But, if your GM won't make a deal with you, make sure you tell him/her that you want to make your purchase after sitting down with the GSM, and
not a Sales person. That let's them know where you stand, you are serious about buying a car, but, you are also serious about WHO you want to deal with. In the end, after the deal is made, they will assign a Sales person to help
you with any issues, set up the paperwork signing, help you with your accessories, etc, etc. They will get the "sale"...the commission for that sale. The GSM assigns that person based on who "needs a sale"....or could be that you know
who you want, and you make that clear to the GSM...or GM...I have done that often. Once I know a great Sales person, that's who I ask for. Again, the deal is done...it's just the follow up stuff. And that person is your contact after the sale
to help get things done...for whatever reason. I have them in my phone...to text, or call. I learn their days off too. I also have their email address.

NOTE: There are many Sales Mgrs at a dealership to help cover all shifts for the week. I don't even talk with them! Oh, one may end up sitting in when you are talking with the GSM, but not normally. But, every dealership is different.
KNOW that fact...for sure. So, what one dealer will be open to, and then another might be very strict and have no part of what you want. In other words...you have to follow their set rules for buying, etc. Those are "hard nosed dealers" and
I won't deal with them. Now, if you are in a market that does not have too many Acura dealerships within your "buying range" then that does present a problem. And, it's more so true of Acura vs a Ford or Chevy dealer. There are just
more of them to pick from...and you then can do some shopping. You can reject a crappy offer and hard nosed Mgrs....and walk out. And then start over at another dealer. I'm in a somewhat limited market, so my range is approx. 100 miles
from home.

But, what helps, is if you have established a great relationship with the personnel at a dealer and you keep returning,,, then, it gets much, much easier to make your deals. I have made deals to buy a new car that's just out
and all new and everyone wants....at a price that no one else can get, normally. Why....because it's my 3rd, 4th, etc. purchase there. Repetition gets you "favors" that the average walk in Joe won't come close to getting.
The Acura dealership in my area does not do commission with their sales team. They are on a salary only...interesting hey ?
Old 04-11-2018, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 648 Likes on 349 Posts
Thread Starter trade that '17 my friend! Get the '19. Can't take it with you so you may as well go ahead and live your life and get what you want. You seem like a financially responsible person so pull the trigger.
The following 2 users liked this post by GhostTL09:
birdonamission (04-17-2018), RDL1 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Yep, IF you are a "newbie" then have an experienced person with you. And, THE best time to buy a new car...IF you are not already established at a dealership?.....Dec. 31st...about 15 min. before closing. IF they can make a sale, it
helps their "numbers" for the month and the year!! And, they will almost give the car away to get those numbers higher. For most dealers this is true. There are other days of the year that are "good days to buy" or times....but, the one
I listed was the one that most all dealers will bend "way over" to make that sale.
RDL1 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Just because December 31st is the end of the calendar year, does by no means imply "year end" for a dealership.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:45 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

The Acura dealership in my area does not do commission with their sales team. They are on a salary only...interesting hey ?
I have heard of that....but Sales people like to get that "sale" no matter how they get paid....it goes toward their total vehicle count for the month, etc. And, when Acura contacts you to evaluate your recent purchase, you can
write them a 5 star rating. IT IS important that they get the max rating. IF they were terrible then I guess you have to go with your gut. My Acura dealer only hires folks that adhere to my GM"s philosophy on how to treat
customers. Everyone there is super nice, friendly and helpful. Always. They will bend over backwards to make sure you are taken care of per your wishes. This kind of treatment starts at the top...always, in any company.
The person at the top sets the tone and direction and sets the example. My GM turned his dealership around from being the bottom feeder in the Region, to the #1 Dealer year after year. He sells more than the total of 3 other
Acura dealership in his Region! And, they just remodeled their entire building...all of it including Service. To the tune of over $5 million. It's an amazing place. Interior decorators were hired to get the colors just right, the art work on the
walls, the type of flooring to use depending on the area, etc. The Delivery area is inside with all glass doors to let you drive your new vehicle outside, after you have looked it over in the really cool surroundings of the room. Super shiny
floors, art on the walls, etc. I was amazed...walking in there and seeing my TLX A-Spec, shining like a diamond! It makes you want to do business there!
RDL1 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:57 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Wink

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Just because December 31st is the end of the calendar year, does by no means imply "year end" for a dealership.
There are exceptions to everything in this world. That's why 'the norm" is what we all look at. I gave the norm. I know this since I worked in and with dealerships. Even if the day is off a few days, they can still count it
as part of the year that just ended. It's a bookkeeping thing often.

I'm sure you can come up with many..."oh, but what ifs"....to most anything said or written. Even if it might be a non starter. The world we live in. I love cars, and the whole process of buying and selling, and driving them.
My GM has now asked me to be an 'unofficial...official" to give him my personal feedback on exactly what I feel is good and bad and maybe OK with the new '19 RDX when it hits the ground. He said..."I'll throw you the fob and
you do your thing with it. Take notes and we will sit down after. I want to know what you really think." That request was special to me and it's nice to know he values my input.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Team Owner

Around here, year end happens months after December 31st, at some dealerships.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thumbs down

Quote from FredS:

"This bullying on these kind of forums really shows one's immaturity. We are on here for the love of Acura, to share knowledge and to gain knowledge."

Months..months oh, my kingdom for months??? LOL....I sure didn't see that written anywhere. And, so, if you have something positive about helping anyone with their Acura questions then that's what WE are here for, not sure about
you. Let's get back on point...since you try and do otherwise. Nice to know you are reading my posts!! You could learn something...maybe....instead of trying to cause trouble by complaining
about ":breaks."

I'm done with wasting my time with your non information posts. And, see others may support you, but, you haven't contributed to this thread in a positive way..as some have also noticed.

The truly serious folks here will continue to ignore your stuff. You seem to write just to read your own "stuff." Way too many posts for a serious person on here. That shows you are not for real
and serious about what "most here want. And that's not entertainment. There are plenty of sights for that.

Have a great day. Feed the horse some oats and you two sleep well tonight.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 04-11-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:42 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
When I traded in my 14RDX Tech the first thing I did was go to CarMax and get a quote. When I went to the dealership to trade it in on a 17 RDX the offer they gave me for my car was less than CarMax, despite the fact that they had sold me the car new, done all of the service, and I had bought 6 Acura's there in the past. What a crock. I totally embarrassed the salesman when I whipped out that CarMax quote.

So, if you have one of these CarMax places around, go get a price. It's free and fairly fast. And they didn't nag me (other than the first week, and that was just an email or two) when I didn't sell them my car.

Dealerships want your trade in for a cheap as they can get it, because they will make more money selling your trade in than they make on the sale of the new car.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Or you can always sell to another private party . For Sale By Owner ,, I did it with my house 10 years ago and I have done it also with all my cars .. Always FSBO . By pass the middle men, and you will pocket more money at the end
I dont understand why you guys like to do trade in !. Maybe because you just like to do it fast . Just be patient and you will get more money FSBO . Me personally I like more money

Here is an example : I sold my 2002 Lexus SC430 ,, at $10K above the best pricing estimates from Kelly Blue Book .. KBB with excellent conditions Private party is $18K . I sold it FSBO at $27.5K .. Yes it takes me close to a year to do it , but I did it .. And yes you can sell above Kelly Blue Book , don't let those car dealers tell you it's impossible ....

Just be patient , and use all the free online car sellers like cargurus.com, cars.com and Craig List ...
RDL1 (04-13-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Team Owner

Quote from FredS:

"This bullying on these kind of forums really shows one's immaturity. We are on here for the love of Acura, to share knowledge and to gain knowledge."

Months..months oh, my kingdom for months??? LOL....I sure didn't see that written anywhere. And, so, if you have something positive about helping anyone with their Acura questions then that's what WE are here for, not sure about
you. Let's get back on point...since you try and do otherwise. Nice to know you are reading my posts!! You could learn something...maybe....instead of trying to cause trouble by complaining

I'm done with wasting my time with your non information posts. And, see others may support you, but, you haven't contributed to this thread in a positive way..as some have also noticed.

The truly serious folks here will continue to ignore your stuff. You seem to write just to read your own "stuff." Way too many posts for a serious person on here. That shows you are not for real
and serious about what "most here want. And that's not entertainment. There are plenty of sights for that.

Wait, why are you getting butthurt about my post?

All I said is some dealerships around here count their own year end at a different time then the actual calendar date of Dec 31. Why this is difficult for you to comprehend, I have no idea. It wasn't even an insult in any way, shape, or form

What that means is don't go into a dealership two weeks before New Years, expecting to get a wicked deal, from each and every dealership. It doesn't necessarily work like that. You're setting people up for potential disaster by claiming your information as being gospel, because the two dealerships you worked at were like that. Don't get butthurt.

Also, welcome to the internet.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
When I traded in my 14RDX Tech the first thing I did was go to CarMax and get a quote. When I went to the dealership to trade it in on a 17 RDX the offer they gave me for my car was less than CarMax, despite the fact that they had sold me the car new, done all of the service, and I had bought 6 Acura's there in the past. What a crock. I totally embarrassed the salesman when I whipped out that CarMax quote.

So, if you have one of these CarMax places around, go get a price. It's free and fairly fast. And they didn't nag me (other than the first week, and that was just an email or two) when I didn't sell them my car.

Dealerships want your trade in for a cheap as they can get it, because they will make more money selling your trade in than they make on the sale of the new car.
Prior to our last purchase, I sold previous vehicles to Carmax and got a little more money than trading them in to the dealer. One dealer gave what I thought was a good explanation:
Carmax is one dealer with many locations. They can ship the vehicle to the market with the highest demand for that particular vehicle and get more money
The new car dealer has to try and resell the traded vehicle in the local market, where prices may not be as good

One time the local dealer matched the Carmax offer which made it easier for me since Carmax was a much longer drive than the dealer.

On our last purchase, long story short we were living on borrowed time with our previous vehicle and wanted to unload it ASAP, so we traded it in to the Acura dealer for our 2018 RDX.

Bruce
RDL1 (04-13-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Hey, all -- THANK YOU for all your responses and great discussions!! Good stuff...
Old 04-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
Thread Starter trade that '17 my friend! Get the '19. Can't take it with you so you may as well go ahead and live your life and get what you want. You seem like a financially responsible person so pull the trigger.
I probably will spring for a '19... This would be me at this point Ha ha.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:33 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Wink

Wait, why are you getting butthurt about my post?

All I said is some dealerships around here count their own year end at a different time then the actual calendar date of Dec 31. Why this is difficult for you to comprehend, I have no idea. It wasn't even an insult in any way, shape, or form

What that means is don't go into a dealership two weeks before New Years, expecting to get a wicked deal, from each and every dealership. It doesn't necessarily work like that. You're setting people up for potential disaster by claiming your information as being gospel, because the two dealerships you worked at were like that. Don't get butthurt.

Also, welcome to the internet.
Darn it...I'm breaking my own rules here. But, I must. First I quoted...FredS...who was commenting about a post of yours concerning me not leaving "breaks" in my writing. Another person also "thanked" on that. So, I'm not the only
one that doesn't always appreciate what you have to say. I think you like reading your own posts.
As far as "welcome to the Internet." Hmmm....Does that mean you can be as nasty as you want, say what you want, swear and belittle all you want...since you are hiding behind a keyboard? NO it does not. You can choose to be
a lot different than that since 99.9% of us are here to share and to ask about Acuras...without feeling like someone wants to "go off" on us at will....just because..."Oh, this is the Internet." That's the problem with way too many
people on Internet sights and blogs. I'm no saint....but, I have some dignity and besides....monitors don't appreciate someone saying anything they feel like....there are some rules....and you don't apparently go by them...and I bet
you are that way with people you deal with one on one...but, hey I'm just assuming....shouldn't do that should I? Oh, hell yes...I'm sure you are since that appears to be your personality.

As far as the "months" situation goes....and this pains me a LOT....but, I did misunderstand you....since you were not very clear. So, with that said, I will be the bigger person and apologize for what I did say. BUT, that doesn't change
what I...and other's here have seen and felt with how you write and bully people. I normally would judge people by...not what they say, but what they do...how they act. And, you are protected by hiding behind the keyboard, except at
some point the Moderators will get enough. Relax...be a positive influence instead of trying to show how many colorful sentences you can put together. Ref....Auto show and the checking out the new RDX.

I don't get "butthurt"....I'm too old and smart to let that happen. You do apparently though. That's because you are still learning about how to be around other's.....in a positive way...in life.

So, let's write about what we know...what we'd like to know and cease the BS that most don't come here for. There's many more of us here that think more like me than you...I"m guessing..so, relax and make things positive.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:36 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jcross1231
I've got a 2016 Advance I'm happy with. Will probably trade next January if no major glitches are identified in the first 6 months or so.
My lease is up in late Feb.So, may grab one in Dec during the holiday season when discounts and incentives are usually good.
No SH-AWD that I'm out of NJ and in SC.

Last edited by colt427; 04-25-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:20 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by colt427
My lease is up in late Feb.So, may grab one in Dec during the holiday season when discounts and incentives are usually good.
No SH-AWD that I'm out of NJ and in SC.
The good thing about sh-awd is you will more use from the system in dry weather compared to bad wet/snowy weather. You will have better acceleration in all conditions, you can feel the vehicle rotating in corners, less lean when cornering under power, and the RDX will drive/feel like a smaller vehicle compared to fwd version. The only additional maint will be transfer case and rear diff every 30K to 60K depending on driving style and you might get more tire wear since all 4 wheels are driven instead of dragging the rear tires. I would take the fwd and sh-awd RDX for a test drive to see if you like or dislike the differences between them.

I'm sure Acura has fixed this issue since the 1st Gen RDX 10-12 fwd models; but, some folks were having failures of the fwd only versions RDX driveshafts compared to nearly zero issues with the 07-12 sh-awd versions.
The following 3 users liked this post by mrgold35:
colt427 (04-25-2018), GW208 (04-25-2018), RDL1 (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
The good thing about sh-awd is you will more use from the system in dry weather compared to bad wet/snowy weather. You will have better acceleration in all conditions, you can feel the vehicle rotating in corners, less lean when cornering under power, and the RDX will drive/feel like a smaller vehicle compared to fwd version. The only additional maint will be transfer case and rear diff every 30K to 60K depending on driving style and you might get more tire wear since all 4 wheels are driven instead of dragging the rear tires. I would take the fwd and sh-awd RDX for a test drive to see if you like or dislike the differences between them.

I'm sure Acura has fixed this issue since the 1st Gen RDX 10-12 fwd models; but, some folks were having failures of the fwd only versions RDX driveshafts compared to nearly zero issues with the 07-12 sh-awd versions.
I'm glad to know this. When I had the RX350 Lexus, it had a very sloppy steering to it. I like a car that holds the road, so I'm hoping the RDX will give a sports feel with the sh-awd and torque vectoring ! I wish it were summer and they were on the lots LOL
Old 04-26-2018, 05:39 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Quote from FredS:

Do what I and my guess the majority do on this forum and just skip over his comments. This was one of his previous post on another thread. Are there seriously no moderators on this site. I see their names at that bottom of the threads. Reading this it seems he has the emotional IQ of a sixteen year old. Seriously moderators is this an accepted post. Like an answer. It is 2018 and her refers to a women as a chick.

Saw the 2019 RDX at the local auto show... it was fenced off, and you weren't allowed to sit in it, the same as all other shows... but.. the drivers side window was half down... I looked at the dash, specifically above the gauge cluster and surrounding it, and thought "oh fuck, that looks like super cheap, hard, shitty plastic".

So I stuck my hand in the window and touched it.

And it was soft. And nice. And completely opposite of what I thought it was. I actually liked it after touching it.

I then wasyelled at by the chick standing next to the RDX, saying I'm not allowed to do that fuck you! Kick me out of your shitty $15 auto show

told her I had to do it. She didn't care, but was just doing her job. Chatted a bit, and off I went
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (04-29-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 08:14 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
The '19 RDX has really got my excited (to the point of seriously considering trading in my '17 RDX Advance to get it). I only owe about $12K on my '17, which has about 18,400 miles on it now. The KBB website gave an idea on what its trade-in value could be...it says about $31K as of today (based on all the options it has as an Advance, the good condition it's in, and the mileage, which I guess is somewhat low).

I've been saving up since the Prototype was announced in January to supplement the trade-in and so far have $9K. I think I might have around $23K in saved-up cash by this Fall (which is probably when I would pull the trigger if I decide to get a '19). I refuse to buy the '19 with negative equity to roll in, so I would probably pay off the '17. That would put me at around $11K to add to the trade-in value, unless I wait a little longer to build up more savings. Of course, the longer I drive the car, the further away from $31K the resale value would be - a catch-22.

My questions are:
1. Do you think the KBB estimate above ($31K) is realistic? I've read RDXs do pretty good retaining value, but I have no idea.
2. Do you think the '19 RDX Advance will be in the neighborhood of $46-$47K (without incentives)?
3. What's the best rate you've heard of to finance (and with whom)? My credit score is ~830. Between cash and trade-in, I'm hoping to finance less than $10K anyway. We'll see about that.

Thanks, all, for any thoughts...
I think seems you have already made up your mind. You should (will) do the trade regardless of what price you get for your 2017 RDX. It’s your money after all. Anyway, we will await your opinion on the new one. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:30 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Comfy

I think seems you have already made up your mind. You should (will) do the trade regardless of what price you get for your 2017 RDX. It’s your money after all. Anyway, we will await your opinion on the new one. Good luck.
No, I have not made up my mind already "regardless of what price [I] get for [my] 2017 RDX." As of today, I'm leaning towards getting a 2019 but I can change my mind between now and the Fall. I like everything I know so far about the '19, but there is no "regardless" about anything.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

No, I have not made up my mind already "regardless of what price [I] get for [my] 2017 RDX." As of today, I'm leaning towards getting a 2019 but I can change my mind between now and the Fall. I like everything I know so far about the '19, but there is no "regardless" about anything.
You might want to consider selling your 2017 yourself instead of a trade. I think you are like me, I love everything about what has been said about the new 2019 as well as pics, but it will be great to see consumer reviews as I find that being one of the real test. It will probably be next Spring before I do anything.
birdonamission (04-28-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:04 AM
mrgold35

One possible downside with selling on your own might be sales tax depending on how strong/weak the car market and sales tax % in your area. If you trade in your current RDX for $35,000 at the dealership and purchase the 3rd Gen 19 RDX for $45,000; you only pay the difference of $10,000 in sales tax. No trade-in and you pay the sales tax for the entire $45,000 purchase price. Might need to check to see it you come out ahead one way or the other.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

Unfortunately where I live in the state of VA, they do not allow the tax to only be on the trade. We have to pay tax on the full price of the new car purchase. It's a real bummer !!
Old 04-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Unfortunately where I live in the state of VA, they do not allow the tax to only be on the trade. We have to pay tax on the full price of the new car purchase. It's a real bummer !!
I just moved to SC and the sales tax is capped at $500.
However, you get nailed with property tax on the vehicle.
My '16 had a $515 tax and it does go down with the value of the vehicle but still would be $4XX next year.
On the plus side for me is my home property tax in NJ was $14K.In SC $1800.Along with .50 gal cheaper gas and a two car insurance saving of $675.Among other things being less expensive but that property tax bites.
My wife's CR-V was $490.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:07 PM
Pro

You might want to consider selling your 2017 yourself instead of a trade. I think you are like me, I love everything about what has been said about the new 2019 as well as pics, but it will be great to see consumer reviews as I find that being one of the real test. It will probably be next Spring before I do anything.
Right, thanks. I wasn't planning on buying the '19, if I decide to, until the Fall. So, reviews would've been written and people would have been driving their '19s for approx. 5 months -- presumably that's a good amount of time to hear lots about issues, major or minor, from the very early adopters and the "experts" in the auto press.
RDL1 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by colt427
I just moved to SC and the sales tax is capped at $500.
However, you get nailed with property tax on the vehicle.
My '16 had a $515 tax and it does go down with the value of the vehicle but still would be $4XX next year.
On the plus side for me is my home property tax in NJ was $14K.In SC $1800.Along with .50 gal cheaper gas and a two car insurance saving of $675.Among other things being less expensive but that property tax bites.
My wife's CR-V was $490.
Good grief (NJ home property tax)... We love the Jersey Shore and when we vacation there, enjoy thinking about "what if" we moved there. But, anyway -- FWIW, here's what we pay on car sales tax in Maryland:

"An excise tax will be charged on the basis of 6% of the vehicle's book value or 6% of the purchase price on the notarized 'Bill of Sale' for vehicles 7 years old or newer. For older vehicles, the tax is calculated on the purchase price. Maryland's minimum excise tax charged is $38.40, based on a minimum value of $640." (per the MD MVA website)

We don't pay property tax on our cars.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:07 AM
Intermediate

Right, thanks. I wasn't planning on buying the '19, if I decide to, until the Fall. So, reviews would've been written and people would have been driving their '19s for approx. 5 months -- presumably that's a good amount of time to hear lots about issues, major or minor, from the very early adopters and the "experts" in the auto press.
Agreed, and the same for me. My main concern will be the turbo, since they are having issues with the 1.5, hope there won't be with the 2.0. It seems as though the reviews so far on the 2.0 with the 10 speed transmission are good, and I'm sure the RDX will be tweaked some from the one in the Accord.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:13 AM
Intermediate

Good grief (NJ home property tax)... We love the Jersey Shore and when we vacation there, enjoy thinking about "what if" we moved there. But, anyway -- FWIW, here's what we pay on car sales tax in Maryland:

"An excise tax will be charged on the basis of 6% of the vehicle's book value or 6% of the purchase price on the notarized 'Bill of Sale' for vehicles 7 years old or newer. For older vehicles, the tax is calculated on the purchase price. Maryland's minimum excise tax charged is $38.40, based on a minimum value of $640." (per the MD MVA website)

We don't pay property tax on our cars.
Property tax in VA is horrible. I just wrote the check this weekend ...on a 2017 Subaru Forester, the tax was 435.00 ! When I had a Lexus, it was at 1000.00 !!